Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

My hope for Davis is that in his first year in the NFL he’s a top 10 quarterback with a high ceiling. My expectations are much lower, however. I expect him to see very limited play and look the part of your typical mid round rookie quarterback. Which will mean the Texans either go back to kicking the quarterback can around for years while riding the quarterback carousel or they reach for a quarterback in the 2022 draft. And in the end Mills will be just another wasted pick.

There are other possibilities as well, however unlikely. Maybe he plays this year and shows some promise, and we still take a 1st round QB next year (assuming Watson has been traded and we have extra picks). Then we trade Mills to a QB needy team for a pick or two a la Schaub.

Most likely, he will turn out to be a backup or a scrub. Just throwing alternatives out there.

My hope for Davis is that in his first year in the NFL he’s a top 10 quarterback with a high ceiling. My expectations are much lower, however. I expect him to see very limited play and look the part of your typical mid round rookie quarterback. Which will mean the Texans either go back to kicking the quarterback can around for years while riding the quarterback carousel or they reach for a quarterback in the 2022 draft. And in the end Mills will be just another wasted pick.
So we would be better at the QB position today if he wasn’t drafted? What third rounder that could potentially move the needle ahead for this team would you have chosen in that can’t miss round? Would this player potentially have the same trade value if he was to be traded? You seem to know.

Wonder why this kid can't earn a job...bet he wasn't happy when the 49ers plucked him off the Buccaneers practice squad late in December, may have missed out on a SB ring.
I think practice squad players can decline offers from other teams. Maybe, he accepted the 49ers offer to be on the active roster and with their injuries at QB, he thought he could get some playing time. However, with Trey Lance on the roster, he might be battling for QB3 or back on the practice squad.

I think practice squad players can decline offers from other teams. Maybe, he accepted the 49ers offer to be on the active roster and with their injuries at QB, he thought he could get some playing time. However, with Trey Lance on the roster, he might be battling for QB3 or back on the practice squad.
If he had an option to decline, I would think he would want to observe the work and habits of Brady up close in person. Just seems like he has been going in the wrong direction.

So we would be better at the QB position today if he wasn’t drafted? What third rounder that could potentially move the needle ahead for this team would you have chosen in that can’t miss round? Would this player potentially have the same trade value if he was to be traded? You seem to know.
I would have drafted the best defensive lineman or secondary player with that 3rd round pick.

Mills at #67 was a very curious pick. That’s all.

From SI.com:

Rookie Davis Mills In For Deshaun Watson: 'Like Having A First-Round QB' For Houston Texans?
At least one NFL scouting director believes Davis Mills could have been a first-round pick in 2022 - a cause for 2021 optimism
MIKE FISHER1 HOUR AGO

There continues to be an overwhelming sense of negativity as it relates to the legal drama engulfing the Houston Texans and star quarterback Deshaun Watson ... but the situation also begs for some however-tiny room for a sense of positivity.

Enter No. 67 overall pick in April's NFL Draft, Stanford signal-caller Davis Mills.
"A lot of people around the league are saying he could have been a first-round draft pick next year if he had stayed in school,'' veteran NFL reporter Aaron Wilson quotes NFL scouting director as saying. "Very intriguing.”

For right now, "very intriguing'' will have to do. There is no way, after one rookie minicamp featuring a third-round prospect, to verify "like a first-round pick.'' Nor is there a way to even justify Houston's selection of Mills - though we are on-record as supporting the general concept of throwing darts at the QB position in the draft, if only due to the high value of a bull's eye.

The Texans' preference at QB? Oh, in a dream world, it would be lovely for Watson's entanglements to magically get solved, for the conflicts with the organization to get solved, too, and for team's MVP to continue to be the team's MVP.

In a more real world? Houston would help Mills to beat out Tyrod Taylor for the starting job, thus verifying and justifying the notion that he "would've been a first-round pick.''

And, along with that real-world possibility would come a blockbuster trade of Watson that would present Houston with a treasure chest of future high draft picks.

Short of that? Just as there is no way to know when Watson’s legal situation will be solved, there is no way of knowing how ready the Texans' present collection of QBs are to helping turn around the franchise.

For now, new head coach David Culley will be in charge of not only Mills' development, but also the Mills-related positivity.

"We really love what he’s all about,'' Culley said. "We love all of the intangibles he has. He’s a pro-type NFL quarterback, and we feel good to have him. He’s smart. He can make all the throws, and we feel good and feel fortunate that we’re able to get him when we got him.''

THE REST OF THE STORY

From SI.com:

Rookie Davis Mills In For Deshaun Watson: 'Like Having A First-Round QB' For Houston Texans?
At least one NFL scouting director believes Davis Mills could have been a first-round pick in 2022 - a cause for 2021 optimism
MIKE FISHER1 HOUR AGO

There continues to be an overwhelming sense of negativity as it relates to the legal drama engulfing the Houston Texans and star quarterback Deshaun Watson ... but the situation also begs for some however-tiny room for a sense of positivity.

Enter No. 67 overall pick in April's NFL Draft, Stanford signal-caller Davis Mills.
"A lot of people around the league are saying he could have been a first-round draft pick next year if he had stayed in school,'' veteran NFL reporter Aaron Wilson quotes NFL scouting director as saying. "Very intriguing.”

For right now, "very intriguing'' will have to do. There is no way, after one rookie minicamp featuring a third-round prospect, to verify "like a first-round pick.'' Nor is there a way to even justify Houston's selection of Mills - though we are on-record as supporting the general concept of throwing darts at the QB position in the draft, if only due to the high value of a bull's eye.

The Texans' preference at QB? Oh, in a dream world, it would be lovely for Watson's entanglements to magically get solved, for the conflicts with the organization to get solved, too, and for team's MVP to continue to be the team's MVP.

In a more real world? Houston would help Mills to beat out Tyrod Taylor for the starting job, thus verifying and justifying the notion that he "would've been a first-round pick.''

And, along with that real-world possibility would come a blockbuster trade of Watson that would present Houston with a treasure chest of future high draft picks.

Short of that? Just as there is no way to know when Watson’s legal situation will be solved, there is no way of knowing how ready the Texans' present collection of QBs are to helping turn around the franchise.

For now, new head coach David Culley will be in charge of not only Mills' development, but also the Mills-related positivity.

"We really love what he’s all about,'' Culley said. "We love all of the intangibles he has. He’s a pro-type NFL quarterback, and we feel good to have him. He’s smart. He can make all the throws, and we feel good and feel fortunate that we’re able to get him when we got him.''

THE REST OF THE STORY
The single most important question surrounding Mills, imo, is whether he has a natural ability to read the field and go through his progressions. He has the natural tools for an NFL quarterback. His most mentioned negative is his pocket presence; and this can be coached up and comes with experience. But it will be his ability to read the field and make the correct decisions which will determine his upside and his future, imo.

It's sort of
From SI.com:

MIKE FISHER1 HOUR AGO

THE REST OF THE STORY

I know it's sipping Koolaid, but honestly, as a fan, I want more of this.

Less Watson drama, more Texans. :texflag: :koolaid:

Mills is being projected as a RD1 QB1......had he played CFB instead of NFL ball in 2021. Mills does not need to look like a RD1 QB in 2021 to be a successful pick with lots of potential upside. Rush him up the the ladder and we could see him turn into a “we told you so” bust (if there is bust in RD3) of a pick.

The Texans have the luxury of Taylor and Finley to carry the torch in 2021 while Mills spends his 2021 NFL season (instead of his projected coming out CFB season) learning the game at this level. Based on the hopes everyone has associated with this RD3 pick, I’m going to spoon-feed him for 2021 while preparing him for his next step in 2022.

If Taylor is effective in 2021 and Mills looks to be learning the system, then you let him and Finley compete for QB2. If Mills has picked up the system (they say he’s pretty smart) and has learned the feel in the pocket and delivering anticipation throws......then he should be competing with Taylor for the QB1 spot.

Either way, I could see all 3 around in 2022 and maybe they make it to 2023 which depends on the Texans drafting another QB in 2022.

Mills is being projected as a RD1 QB1......had he played CFB instead of NFL ball in 2021. Mills does not need to look like a RD1 QB in 2021 to be a successful pick with lots of potential upside. Rush him up the the ladder and we could see him turn into a “we told you so” bust (if there is bust in RD3) of a pick.

The Texans have the luxury of Taylor and Finley to carry the torch in 2021 while Mills spends his 2021 NFL season (instead of his projected coming out CFB season) learning the game at this level. Based on the hopes everyone has associated with this RD3 pick, I’m going to spoon-feed him for 2021 while preparing him for his next step in 2022.

If Taylor is effective in 2021 and Mills looks to be learning the system, then you let him and Finley compete for QB2. If Mills has picked up the system (they say he’s pretty smart) and has learned the feel in the pocket and delivering anticipation throws......then he should be competing with Taylor for the QB1 spot.

Either way, I could see all 3 around in 2022 and maybe they make it to 2023 which depends on the Texans drafting another QB in 2022.

Do you see how the narrative changes. Lol

The media and some fans are fickle. They raved about Mahomas sitting his rookie year. They wanted Watson to sit out his rookie year. But this kid Mills to those same folks needs to start now or he’s a bust/wasted pick. I’m like people make up your freaking minds already.

Last edited:
It's sort of

I know it's sipping Koolaid, but honestly, as a fan, I want more of this.

Less Watson drama, more Texans. :texflag: :koolaid:
I'm the same way, for a moment I'm excited and think how much better things could be. Then I'm hit with a dose of reality when I remember, Kyle, Nick and Jack are running the show and it is never going to be.

The media and some fans are fickle. They raved about Mahomas sitting his rookie year. They wanted Watson to sit out his rookie year. But this kid Mills to those same folks needs to start now or he’s a busted/wasted pick. I’m like people make up your freaking minds already.
The Texans are under absolutely no pressure to risk prematurely starting Mills because nothing is and really nothing should be expected of them this year, unlike say another team which drafted a QB this year who also has a very dubious background and level experience for being NFL ready anytime soon.
Yes I'm thinking of the mighty 49ers and their rookie QB who they took with the third overall pick in this years Draft. The irony here is that Trey Lance arguably appears to be more of a project than David Mills while the 49ers are in wind now window
right now while the Texans are virtually an Xpansion team once again in 2021.

The Texans are under absolutely no pressure to risk prematurely starting Mills because nothing is and really nothing should be expected of them this year, unlike say another team which drafted a QB this year who also has a very dubious background and level experience for being NFL ready anytime soon.
Yes I'm thinking of the mighty 49ers and their rookie QB who they took with the third overall pick in this years Draft. The irony here is that Trey Lance arguably appears to be more of a project than David Mills while the 49ers are in wind now window
Not that I would draft Lance, but there's a big difference between the two of them.

Lance already showed (to the scouts) that he's a capable QB as a Sophomore in college, when he started all 16 games.

His school just decided not to have a season this past year.

Mills needed this year to show that he can improve.

Somehow Taylor and Finley don't strike as "Luxury" to me. :ahhaha:

As Savage proved, you can look great in practice but until Mills is under game speed pressure you won't know how he will react. Mills has more god given ability and since he's graduated from Stanford early probably more upstairs than Savage, I expect Mills to be closer to a healthier version of Jimmy G than Savage. Anything more is gravy

The media and some fans are fickle. They raved about Mahomas sitting his rookie year. They wanted Watson to sit out his rookie year. But this kid Mills to those same folks needs to start now or he’s a busted/wasted pick. I’m like people make up your freaking minds already.

The OL should be much better than what was in front of DW4' his rookie yr.

I didn't want DW4 to get hurt.

If Mills doesn't play this yr I think it would be a mistake, (need to find out if he can play before next year's draft.) But I don't think he can be called a bust.

My question is how much leeway will fans give Mills or will they immediately expect him to come in and play as well as DW4 did in yr 4? This would be unfair. IMHO

Last edited:

Difference is if Jimmy G's healthy, Lance won't be playing and the 49era will be SB contenders again.

Not that I would draft Lance, but there's a big difference between the two of them.

Lance already showed (to the scouts) that he's a capable QB as a Sophomore in college, when he started all 16 games.

His school just decided not to have a season this past year.

Mills needed this year to show that he can improve.

Against FBS competition.

There's really not much difference between starting 11or 16 games.

I think sitting vs starting right away depends on the situation you're in, but more importantly, the talent you have. I never wanted Watson to sit because the alternative was Tom Savage. Watson did come in after a half, and his talent took over. Had I been a Chiefs fan I probably would have wanted to see Mahomes play, but at least they had a viable alternative in Smith, who was coming off 11 and 12 win seasons. Trevor Lawrence has to start because the Jags have no Favre to sit behind like Rodgers did. Same for Wilson.

The Texans are in a situation where their presumed starter, Taylor, is basically a career backup who can give you starts occasionally, but you don't really want him being the main guy. I think he's even below Fitzy in that regard. And we don't have the 1st rounder to rally around to get the snaps over him. Ours is a 3rd rounder!! Now some around here are treating it like he's 1st round talent and the QB of the future, but that's just not the case. Yes, spare me the examples of 3rds and later who make it. That list is pretty short and doesn't guarantee anything. Doesn't mean he can't be decent or make it, and as a Texan now, I hope he can be at least halfway decent if for nothing else to be a trade piece down the road, but the odds are not in his favor. And if he does turn into something more, then put us down in the lucky category.

So, I don't think one (sitting or starting) is more advantageous over the other because there's plenty of positive examples of both. Aaron Rodgers sitting, Peyton Manning starting. I don't think it's about sitting vs starting. It's about how talented the QB actually is. I don't think throwing Mahomes into the fire right away would have affected him any. Justin Herbert seemed to do just fine. Peyton Manning looked like shit in the beginning but became one of the best ever. Did Steve McNair benefit from sitting or was he going to be good regardless?

Mills seeing snaps this year, save for injuries, will depend on the play of Taylor. If Taylor struggles, he'll get his shot. From there it will be his talent deciding what comes next. Sitting and watching from the sidelines for 6 or 8 games makes very little difference IMO. It's going to come down to his talent.

I think sitting vs starting right away depends on the situation you're in, but more importantly, the talent you have. I never wanted Watson to sit because the alternative was Tom Savage. Watson did come in after a half, and his talent took over. Had I been a Chiefs fan I probably would have wanted to see Mahomes play, but at least they had a viable alternative in Smith, who was coming off 11 and 12 win seasons. Trevor Lawrence has to start because the Jags have no Favre to sit behind like Rodgers did. Same for Wilson.

The Texans are in a situation where their presumed starter, Taylor, is basically a career backup who can give you starts occasionally, but you don't really want him being the main guy. I think he's even below Fitzy in that regard. And we don't have the 1st rounder to rally around to get the snaps over him. Ours is a 3rd rounder!! Now some around here are treating it like he's 1st round talent and the QB of the future, but that's just not the case. Yes, spare me the examples of 3rds and later who make it. That list is pretty short and doesn't guarantee anything. Doesn't mean he can't be decent or make it, and as a Texan now, I hope he can be at least halfway decent if for nothing else to be a trade piece down the road, but the odds are not in his favor. And if he does turn into something more, then put us down in the lucky category.

So, I don't think one (sitting or starting) is more advantageous over the other because there's plenty of positive examples of both. Aaron Rodgers sitting, Peyton Manning starting. I don't think it's about sitting vs starting. It's about how talented the QB actually is. I don't think throwing Mahomes into the fire right away would have affected him any. Justin Herbert seemed to do just fine. Peyton Manning looked like shit in the beginning but became one of the best ever. Did Steve McNair benefit from sitting or was he going to be good regardless?

Mills seeing snaps this year, save for injuries, will depend on the play of Taylor. If Taylor struggles, he'll get his shot. From there it will be his talent deciding what comes next. Sitting and watching from the sidelines for 6 or 8 games makes very little difference IMO. It's going to come down to his talent.

Great response and I agree 100%.

Who cares. If Mills works out, great. If not they can just draft a QB high next draft. It’s irrelevant. This team isn’t one step away from a SB.

I was all for sitting the first half of the season, unless of course he just flat out wins the position, but then the schedule came out and that first game is against the Jags. If Trevor Lawrence is starting, I'd like to see Mills start, ready or not, just for the entertainment value of seeing the two rookies go against each other in their first NFL game.

I would have drafted the best defensive lineman or secondary player with that 3rd round pick.

Mills at #67 was a very curious pick. That’s all.
So there was a “best” defensive lineman or secondary player that was better than probably the “best” QB at that pick. Would you have agreed with whomever the Texans selected At DL or secondary? Who were these can’t miss players that wouldn’t have been a wasted pick, not a curious one? I’m not dogging you I just am “curious” because that’s exactly the round you gamble on a QB when you need one. I really didn’t want to start the season with the two we had. It’s a gamble, but one that some had going on day 1, with cost of a third round DL who would have to be better than anyone we picked up as a FA.

Who cares. If Mills works out, great. If not they can just draft a QB high next draft. It’s irrelevant. This team isn’t one step away from a SB.
That’s why it’s important to not blow picks on pipe dreams. They did that stupid kind of **** when they drafted Warring and Braxton in middle rounds.

So there was a “best” defensive lineman or secondary player that was better than probably the “best” QB at that pick. Would you have agreed with whomever the Texans selected At DL or secondary? Who were these can’t miss players that wouldn’t have been a wasted pick, not a curious one? I’m not dogging you I just am “curious” because that’s exactly the round you gamble on a QB when you need one. I really didn’t want to start the season with the two we had. It’s a gamble, but one that some had going on day 1, with cost of a third round DL who would have to be better than anyone we picked up as a FA.
Check out my comments in the draft board threads. The novelty of message board debates wore out for me years ago.

Last edited:
Mills seeing snaps this year, save for injuries, will depend on the play of Taylor.
Unless Taylor plays like an All Pro, Mills needs to see action at some point. When depends on a lot of factors:

1) What he looks like in practice.
2) The play and health of the offensive line.
3) The overall continuity of the offense.
4) The strength of the opponent.

There's not an ideal scenario for Mills to come in. This offense will suck, the line is far from perfect, and any DC worth spit will give a rookie QB fits. But, the Texans need to see what Mills has prior to the 2022 draft. Hopefully, they find a time to give him a fighting chance. Maybe coming off the bench in a blowout might be a good start?

That’s why it’s important to not blow picks on pipe dreams. They did that stupid kind of **** when they drafted Warring and Braxton in middle rounds.

Caserio didn't draft those guys.

You're not blowing picks when you're picking QB's.

You're investing in finding your future QB and you should keep investing until you find your guy.

Kind of the Anti RS philosophy.

I'm the same way, for a moment I'm excited and think how much better things could be. Then I'm hit with a dose of reality when I remember, Kyle, Nick and Jack are running the show and it is never going to be.

BalloonPop.gif

lol :highfive:

Mills represents the end of Watson in HOU forever and for that alone, I’m good.

Yep. I'm keeping my eyes looking forward, as well. There's nothing there for us in the past. ;)

You're investing in finding your future QB and you should keep investing until you find your guy.

I didn’t see anyone who disliked Mills. the negative comments were from those wanting him to play at Stanford another year. Said to be a first rounder then. But would that be better than being on an NFL roster now? Obviously he wasn’t driven by money. If he is good seems to me he is a smarter pick in the third vs the first round. You gotta be smart to rebuild to respect but you also have to have to hit on some educated bets. If he isn’t a prime example of an educated bet for a freaking third rounder I’d like someone to provide a short list of who would be.

Against FBS competition.

There's really not much difference between starting 11or 16 games.
The scouts were watching tapes of:

- A RS freshman in Trey Lance (2019)

vs.

- A RS junior in Davis Mills 2020)

Many of them rate the former as a first rounder; not so much with the latter.
If that's not a big difference, I don't know what is.

Level of competition does matter, but if the scouts see how well the QB runs the offense, how he commands huddle, how he handles pressures, they can come to their own judgement.

Personally, I barely watch him play so I have no idea.

But you were asking people to trust the NFL scouts/coaches; you should take your own advice, right? :)

I didn’t see anyone who disliked Mills. the negative comments were from those wanting him to play at Stanford another year. Said to be a first rounder then. But would that be better than being on an NFL roster now? Obviously he wasn’t driven by money. If he is good seems to me he is a smarter pick in the third vs the first round. You gotta be smart to rebuild to respect but you also have to have to hit on some educated bets. If he isn’t a prime example of an educated bet for a freaking third rounder I’d like someone to provide a short list of who would be.

Maybe Texian can provide these answers/ lists?

Belichik never found a successor to Brady.

I don't think he trust Jimmy G enough to keep him, and despite all the time and effort to coach him up, the Pats can only get a 2nd rounder for him.

This time, it seems Belichik finally concedes that he needs to spend a mid first rounder to "hopefully" find the guy.

In another word, yes, a team can waste its resource drafting a QB that amounts to nothing much.
Look what BB get in return for guys like Mallett, etc.

He’ll probably be treated as if he’s better by this team, but I bet he’s not going to be any better than Jeff Drisckel (sp)

I hate that pick even more now.

Last edited:
. If he is good seems to me he is a smarter pick in the third vs the first round.
If he’s good.

That’s the problem. Chances are he’s not (most of them aren’t) & if he doesn’t play that final year, he never gets that experience, he’s never going to be a 1st round pick.

I think a weak college schedule is better for development than the practice squad of a bad team.

Maybe Texian can provide these answers/ lists?

You know I have explained this a couple of times but I'll try once more. It's not so much as I am against Mills as much as I like a couple of guys in next year's draft better. (I'm not happy with Mills gimpy knee.) That's where the Texans will find their QB of the future. The Texans are underdogs in EVERY game they play this season.

So in the mean time, instead of swinging for the fences, you draft an OC (Meinerz) who will be around for 10 years and make a couple of pro bowls. And draft a couple of DTs (Brown and Togiai) that can anchor your now 4 -3 Defense. That's how you make your team better. Hitting singles and an occasional double is the way to do it. Swinging for the fences and continually striking out is NOT.

So the high strikeout rate means missing out on a lot of players who could make your football team. The time to swing for the fences is next year when the odds and chances of hitting that homerun are more in your favor. Some of those odds and chances also include some QBs who might become Texans (Tua and Jimmy G) via the DW4 trade. Focus on the big picture, see the whole horizon and stop with the tunnel vision.

BTW @76Texan has posted several videos of knowledgeable people explaining and illustrating Mills bad decisions, mediocre accuracy and high number of turnovers. People are going to hear and see what they want to hear and see and not necessarily believe what their eyes and ears are really telling them. Once you've drank the Kool Aid it's hard focus on the bigger picture.

BTW one thing I gathered from the draft is Caserio is the continual table setter and defers to coaches to make the picks (that's what he knows). Or so it seemed in this year's draft. Back stories suggest that it was Pep Hamilton who was orchestrating the first two picks with Jack Easterby's blessing.

Last edited:
You know I have explained this a couple of times but I'll try once more. It's not so much as I am against Mills as much as I like a couple of guys in next year's draft better. (I'm not happy with Mills gimpy knee.) That's where the Texans will find their QB of the future. The Texans are underdogs in EVERY game they play this season.

So in the mean time, instead of swinging for the fences, you draft an OC (Meinerz) who will be around for 10 years and make a couple of pro bowls. And draft a couple of DTs (Brown and Togiai) that can anchor your now 4 -3 Defense. That's how you make your team better. Hitting singles and an occasional double is the way to do it. Swinging for the fences and continually striking out is NOT.

So the high strikeout rate means missing out on a lot of players who could make your football team. The time to swing for the fences is next year when the odds and chances of hitting that homerun are more in your favor. Some of those odds and chances also include some QBs who might become Texans via the DW4 trade. Focus on the big picture, see the whole horizon and stop with the tunnel vision.

BTW @76Texan has posted several videos of knowledgeable people explaining and illustrating Mills bad decisions, mediocre accuracy and high number of turnovers. People are going to hear and see what they want to hear and see and not necessarily believe what their eyes and ears are really telling them. Once you've drank the Kool Aid it's hard focus on the bigger picture.

BTW one thing I gathered from the draft is Caserio is the continual table setter and defers to coaches to make the picks. Or so it seemed in this year's draft. Back stories suggest that it was Pep Hamilton who was orchestrating the first two picks with Jack Easterby's blessing.

We have different philosophies.

I want them to pick a QB every yr until they find their guys and in this draft since they were missing their 1st/2nd rd picks I want 2 contributors out of this draft. I think those contributors are going to be Collins who's a guy that I think you're describing (I dont think he would've been available if he hadn't opted out and fills a need.) and Jordan who I think is the 3rd best TE prospect in this class. If Mills hits then this will have been an awesome draft. If he doesn't hit it still will have been a very good draft considering the circumstances Caserio inherited.

I guess we have different expectations from this draft. I also dont think of myself as a koolaid drinker but a realist considering what Caserio had to work with.

We have different philosophies.

I want them to pick a QB every yr until they find their guys and in this draft since they were missing their 1st/2nd rd picks I want 2 contributors out of this draft. I think those contributors are going to be Collins who's a guy that I think you're describing (I dont think he would've been available if he hadn't opted out and fills a need.) and Jordan who I think is the 3rd best TE prospect in this class. If Mills hits then this will have been an awesome draft. If he doesn't hit it still will have been a very good draft considering the circumstances Caserio inherited.

I guess we have different expectations from this draft. I also dont think of myself as a koolaid drinker but a realist considering what Caserio had to work with.
An average NFL career is about 6 years, and that with guys like Brady, Favre, Rodgers? Manning, Freeney, AP..
skewing the number.

A third round pick, especially a high third round, has got to become a solid starter.

Then you have the problem with the QB position.
Solid guys like Schaub still require that you build a strong team around him to provide support rather than having a very good QB that can elevate the game of the other guys.

I remember how you said Watson was average at best and there would be no Lombardi trophy with that level of QB play.

But now, you're settling???

Both Watson (blew out knee in 2017) and Mills have had knee injuries, and from what I read they are both 100%, and I'm told Watson's knee injury was quite a bit more serious. Point is, no one seems to questions Watson's knee anymore. I'm going to assume Mill's knee is repaired as I believe we vetted the injury and treatment. So I'm giving him the same consideration as we've all given Watson, until either or both have problems again. So it's a non-issue with me at this time.

Last edited:
Both Watson (blew out knee in 2017) and Mills have had knee injuries, and from what I read they are both 100%, and I'm told Watson's knee injury was quite a bit more serious. Point is, no one seems to questions Watson's knee anymore. I'm going to assume Mill's knee is repaired as I believe we vetted the injury and treatment. So I'm giving him the same consideration as we've all given Watson, until either or both have problems again. So it's a non-issue with me at this time.
Are you aware Mills has had multiple knee injuries and is not all that mobile?

Are you aware Mills has had multiple knee injuries and is not all that mobile?
Yeah...I can't find anything of substance that would shed a light on the nature of the injuries.
He had one in HS, then it looks like he had the same injury as a Freshman at Stanford. Then it talks about a leg injury later on. No telling what the leg injury was, doesn't sound like anything involving the knee though.
Perhaps someone else will be able to find some details, I sure wasn't able too.

Yeah...I can't find anything of substance that would shed a light on the nature of the injuries.
He had one in HS, then it looks like he had the same injury as a Freshman at Stanford. Then it talks about a leg injury later on. No telling what the leg injury was, doesn't sound like anything involving the knee though.
Perhaps someone else will be able to find some details, I sure wasn't able too.

I am sure the Texans medical staff will be the best to advise medically.

/sarcasm

Back