Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 147] Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami

We now got an offense that will score billions of points and we still got four draft choices left to build the defense. What's with all the negativity?
The negativity I have is because we did not need a tight end.

There’s not a better theme in football the last 10-15 years than a team making it to (or winning) the SB and having an elite TE. You have almost zero chance of becoming one of those teams unless you draft one and hope you hit on one.
If I were going to list priority positions to get to the Super Bowl I think tight end would be fairly far down the list.

Caserio has said over and over he wants competition in training camp. If you look at our TE's, Auclair, Brown, Izzo and Warring are all about 6'-5" and 255 lbs +/-. Akins is 6'-4" and about 240 lbs. Jordan is 6'-3" and about 245 lbs. The four are TE's. Atkins and Jordan more fit the mold of an H-back.

Jordan is 6' 2 1/2 and 220. Meanwhile, our rookie WR is 6' 4" and 215... I see him as an H-Back no question

Brevin looks like a guy with good football IQ. He knows how to look at the coverage to decide how and when to get to the open spot.
He's a willing blocker (though like any other player, he needs to work on it to make it in the NFL).
He's versatile (most likely because of his football IQ) and can line up at any spot (except as a lineman, of course)
This pick looks fine to me from a value perspective.

I'm not sure if he can become a good NFL TE or not, but IMO, he's a good prospect to have.

If I were going to list priority positions to get to the Super Bowl I think tight end would be fairly far down the list.
TE is a QBs best friend.
Caserio absolutely did the right thing here as 2 of our TEs are going to be free agents after this season anyway.
Harris had him ranked 37th overall and Dan Brugler had him around 100th so he was pretty much BPA as well.
This kid has a real chance of making the squad as a contributor day 1.

TE is a QBs best friend.
Caserio absolutely did the right thing here as 2 of our TEs are going to be free agents after this season anyway.
Harris had him ranked 37th overall and Dan Brugler had him around 100th so he was pretty much BPA as well.
If Warring can stay healthy they could create some mismatches with their speed.

John Harris had Brevin Jordan at 37 in his final version of Harris 100 (33 in version 1 prior to pro day). His write up below:

37 | Brevin Jordan
Tight End, Miami
Height: 6 ft. 2 5/8 in. | Weight: 247 lbs.
Hand: 9 3/4 | Arm: 32 7/8 | Wing: 79 1/4
40-yard Dash: 4.64 | Bench Press: 17 | Vertical Jump: 31 | Broad Jump: 9-8
The former Bishop Gorman HS (NV) star decided to move across the country to Coral Gables for his college career and he was a star. He was 1st team All-ACC after catching 35 passes for 495 yards and two touchdowns in just ten games in 2019. He also was one of the three Mackey Award (nation's best tight end) finalists last year in just his second year on campus. In 2020, his final season on campus, he was 2nd team All-ACC and a Mackey Award semifinalist after catching 38 passes for 576 yards and seven touchdowns. Knowing how productive he was as a receiver, I initially thought that he would be earmarked to be a F-TE, in other words, a pass catching tight end or big receiver. But, Jordan is a much more accomplished blocker than a good number of tight ends in this, or any, draft class. Now, he's not Tommy Tremble (Notre Dame), but he can more than hold his own as an in-line blocker. Case in point, 4th and one, Miami ahead 7-3 against Florida State near the end of the first quarter. Jordan was aligned at an in-line spot with Florida State defensive tackle Cory Durden in a five technique (inside of Jordan). On the snap, Jordan shot into Durden and turned him outside, staying on the block until Cam'ron Harris snuck inside of him for a two yard gain and a first down. I'm not really doing the block justice because if Jordan doesn't make that block, Harris is stuffed, Florida State takes over and who knows what happens after that? But, Jordan made one heck of a block that moved Durden off the ball and, wouldn't you know, Harris scored on the next play. Other than Tremble, there aren't any other tight ends in this class making that block. As a receiver, though, he's a threat all over the field. He runs speed outs like a slot receiver. He's an ultra-dangerous seam threat. He can run double moves - stick nods, sluggos. He's a matchup nightmare really and he's a pain in the you-know-what to tackle once he's got the ball in his hands. I had an expectation of what I was going to find when I dove into the film and Jordan proved to me that he has all-around skills to play on all three downs anywhere a "tight end" is asked to line up. As an opposing defensive coordinator, I wouldn't even treat him as a tight end because of his receiving acumen/athleticism. Quite frankly, with Jordan on the field, the question of 11 personnel v. 10 personnel is a valid one and, as such, his presence creates issues for opposing defenses because of his blocking ability in the run game.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Harris had Brevin Jordan at 37 in his final version of Harris 100 (33 in version 1 prior to pro day). His write up below:

37 | Brevin Jordan
Tight End, Miami
Height: 6 ft. 2 5/8 in. | Weight: 247 lbs.
Hand: 9 3/4 | Arm: 32 7/8 | Wing: 79 1/4
40-yard Dash: 4.64 | Bench Press: 17 | Vertical Jump: 31 | Broad Jump: 9-8
The former Bishop Gorman HS (NV) star decided to move across the country to Coral Gables for his college career and he was a star. He was 1st team All-ACC after catching 35 passes for 495 yards and two touchdowns in just ten games in 2019. He also was one of the three Mackey Award (nation's best tight end) finalists last year in just his second year on campus. In 2020, his final season on campus, he was 2nd team All-ACC and a Mackey Award semifinalist after catching 38 passes for 576 yards and seven touchdowns. Knowing how productive he was as a receiver, I initially thought that he would be earmarked to be a F-TE, in other words, a pass catching tight end or big receiver. But, Jordan is a much more accomplished blocker than a good number of tight ends in this, or any, draft class. Now, he's not Tommy Tremble (Notre Dame), but he can more than hold his own as an in-line blocker. Case in point, 4th and one, Miami ahead 7-3 against Florida State near the end of the first quarter. Jordan was aligned at an in-line spot with Florida State defensive tackle Cory Durden in a five technique (inside of Jordan). On the snap, Jordan shot into Durden and turned him outside, staying on the block until Cam'ron Harris snuck inside of him for a two yard gain and a first down. I'm not really doing the block justice because if Jordan doesn't make that block, Harris is stuffed, Florida State takes over and who knows what happens after that? But, Jordan made one heck of a block that moved Durden off the ball and, wouldn't you know, Harris scored on the next play. Other than Tremble, there aren't any other tight ends in this class making that block. As a receiver, though, he's a threat all over the field. He runs speed outs like a slot receiver. He's an ultra-dangerous seam threat. He can run double moves - stick nods, sluggos. He's a matchup nightmare really and he's a pain in the you-know-what to tackle once he's got the ball in his hands. I had an expectation of what I was going to find when I dove into the film and Jordan proved to me that he has all-around skills to play on all three downs anywhere a "tight end" is asked to line up. As an opposing defensive coordinator, I wouldn't even treat him as a tight end because of his receiving acumen/athleticism. Quite frankly, with Jordan on the field, the question of 11 personnel v. 10 personnel is a valid one and, as such, his presence creates issues for opposing defenses because of his blocking ability in the run game.The former Bishop Gorman HS (NV) star decided to move across the country to Coral Gables for his college career and he was a star. He was 1st team All-ACC after catching 35 passes for 495 yards and two touchdowns in just ten games in 2019. He also was one of the three Mackey Award (nation's best tight end) finalists last year in just his second year on campus. In 2020, his final season on campus, he was 2nd team All-ACC and a Mackey Award semifinalist after catching 38 passes for 576 yards and seven touchdowns.

Knowing how productive he was as a receiver, I initially thought that he would be earmarked to be a F-TE, in other words, a pass-catching tight end or big receiver. However, Jordan is a much more accomplished blocker than a good number of tight ends in this, or any, draft class. Now, he's not Tommy Tremble (Notre Dame), but he can more than hold his own as an in-line blocker. Case in point, 4th and one, Miami ahead 7-3 against Florida State near the end of the first quarter. Jordan was aligned at an in-line spot with Florida State defensive tackle Cory Durden in a five technique (inside of Jordan). On the snap, Jordan shot into Durden and turned him outside, staying on the block until Cam'ron Harris snuck inside of him for a two yard gain and a first down. I'm not really doing the block justice because if Jordan doesn't make that block, Harris is stuffed, Florida State takes over and who knows what happens after that? Jordan made one heck of a block that moved Durden off the ball and, wouldn't you know, Harris scored on the next play. Other than Tremble, there aren't any other tight ends in this class making that block.
As a receiver, though, he's a threat all over the field. He runs speed outs like a slot receiver. He's an ultra-dangerous seam threat. He can run double moves - stick nods, sluggos, you name it. He's a matchup nightmare really and he's a pain in the you-know-what to tackle once he's got the ball in his hands. I had an expectation of what I was going to find when I dove into the film and Jordan proved to me that he has all-around skills to play on all three downs anywhere a "tight end" is asked to line up. As an opposing defensive coordinator, I wouldn't even treat him as a tight end because of his receiving acumen/athleticism. Quite frankly, with Jordan on the field, the question of 11 personnel v. 10 personnel is a valid one and, as such, his presence creates issues for opposing defenses because of his blocking ability in the run game.
Big knock on him is his maturity.
Hopefully he will find a friend and mentor quickly here and learns to listen to sound advice.

You would think but think about all the teams that torch us historically and think of guys like Dallas Clark, Gronkowski, that little ***** Kelce or that murderous pieceashit Hernandez.
I understand that teams with great TEs have beaten Texans but still would not list TE as a high priority position. QB, LT, Corner (probably two), WR (probably two) Edge rusher, RT, a Nose tackle when we were in 3-4 and a RB all come before a TE --on my list and maybe a safety.

And yet it seems the Super Bowl participants typically have stud TEs the last several years...
okay sure but what other positions do they have a stud at? Again, I'm not saying a stud at any position isn't important just do not see it on Houston. Also selecting another tight end when we have at least two in Cooper and Jordan seemed bad move to me.

TE is a QBs best friend.
100 percent disagree. LT and probably right tackle, a running back and WR. I would not have taken any TE over Andre Johnson or Hopkins and both were known for bailing out our QB(s).

Pharoah Brown who looked very good in 2020 two TDs 14/163 at 12 per has a cap of less than $1.5 million with the half mill in per game bonus. He can be resigned quite easily at team friendly extension.

Brevin Jordan may have been ranked around 100 (Harris with standing) but he wasn't selected until 147.

Enjoy the discussion!

I understand that teams with great TEs have beaten Texans but still would not list TE as a high priority position. QB, LT, Corner (probably two), WR (probably two) Edge rusher, RT, a Nose tackle when we were in 3-4 and a RB all come before a TE --on my list and maybe a safety.
Teams with great TE's seem to win Superbowls - at least that's the case over the last decade with Gronk, Kelce, Ertz... Might not be a high priority position to you, but teams seem to benefit greatly when they have an elite one.

Contrary to the idiom we all grew up with, defenses don’t win championships in this modern era of insanely productive offenses. GM’s know this.

I agree completely, and even argued the point back in 2016.

I'm confused. Who are these great TEs on the Texans roster? This was a need* position.

*The Texans need players at every position.

Yep. BPA strategy would have filled a need at every position.

I'm thinking he's actually more worried about the offense this year than he is the defense. The reality is we don't know what we have on defense even before all the signings because that defense quit by game 5 of the season. The only one still trying was JJ but he was a shell of his former self and was trying to play like it was 2014 again.

My theory is they are loading up the offense with what they can, see what Lovie can do with the current defense and then in 2022 draft heavy D when they have some early picks to get guys that will actually move the needle.

I like it. Building a functioning offense takes longer than building a solid defense, so I'm glad they are starting to build on the foundation. 2021 will be interesting to watch just for the changes and styles of offensive schemes, regardless if this team can consistently win games or not.

I know they "play to win the games", but if we're honest with ourselves and this rebuild, we know immediate gratification in 2021 is most likely a fool's errand. Instead, just enjoy the process and hope for the best, IMO.

I'll believe it when I see it. How many times have we been fooled by TEs in training camp?

What they do in shorts against each other, doesn't really do anything for me. Until they do something in pads against someone in a different color jersey, it doesn't mean much. Last year in camp John Reid was supposedly turning heads. He ended up barely seeing the field on one of the worst secondaries in football.

A few teams have lost their TE so maybe the Texans could get something for Pharaoh Brown before the deadline. 1 TE off the game day roster should open a spot for Jordan to start getting some playing time. They need to find out what they have in Jordan before the 2022 NFL Draft so they don’t use another pick on a TE.

I'm not saying he can be like Shannon Sharpe, but can he be a h back/mismatch like him? Beck is the guy now, looking at beck, he's not even a good blocker.Brevin has a unique skillset because he's in the mold of a mismatch. Brevin biggest problem like Nico is staying healthy. No team should expect him to block a top pass rusher or blow guys off the los like Gronk, but if he can be a mismatch is the pass game and be willing to block in the run game, he can be a usable tool going forward.

I'm not saying he can be like Shannon Sharpe, but can he be a h back/mismatch like him? Beck is the guy now, looking at beck, he's not even a good blocker.Brevin has a unique skillset because he's in the mold of a mismatch. Brevin biggest problem like Nico is staying healthy. No team should expect him to block a top pass rusher or blow guys off the los like Gronk, but if he can be a mismatch is the pass game and be willing to block in the run game, he can be a usable tool going forward.
& he should be almost impossible to cover coming out of the backfield where Beck lines upl

Last edited:
He needs to learn the fullback role well as he H-Back/TE roles.. Kinda jack of all trades guy. Most of all he needs to stay healthy and keep working to get better. He's made great strides in getting better since last year to this year.

Last edited:

Beck's problem is mental errors. He makes at least one bone-headed mistake per game, be it missing a block, running a bad route, or committing some ridiculously unnecessary penalty on special teams. Even his return TD against the Jags occurred because he messed up. If he doesn't grow up he needs to be replaced.

Not sure why we keep cutting Brevin Jordan. We keep bringing him back, and he keeps contributing in big ways. He's useful and I love his attitude.

Beck's problem is mental errors. He makes at least one bone-headed mistake per game, be it missing a block, running a bad route, or committing some ridiculously unnecessary penalty on special teams. Even his return TD against the Jags occurred because he messed up. If he doesn't grow up he needs to be replaced.

Not sure why we keep cutting Brevin Jordan. We keep bringing him back, and he keeps contributing in big ways. He's useful and I love his attitude.
Two TD catches in the last two games tells me he has earned a spot with our depleted WR corp.
Let's hope he keeps flying under the radar.

As I mentioned earlier on another thread, I am ready to move on from Beck and would love to see Brevin be the guy. Rotate him when Schultz needs breather.

2024 I want even more passing.

As I mentioned earlier on another thread, I am ready to move on from Beck and would love to see Brevin be the guy. Rotate him when Schultz needs breather.

2024 I want even more passing.
What I'm getting at is you can run 22 and still have basically 4 receiving threats and forcing teams to adjust to him in particular. That's what made Sharpe special. He has a wr coming out and played at 228. He wasn't some Gronk like te and Shanny/Kubes found a way to not only run effective, but have that mismatch. Jordan is too shifty for lbs and too strong for safeties. If he can stay healthy, he can be a chess piece out of old school base offense. Is he going to blow up players in the hole? No, but that's not needed. The modern run game is angle blocking and creating small seams. Even in limited chances, you can see his wiggle at the stem and his rac.

What I'm getting at is you can run 22 and still have basically 4 receiving threats and forcing teams to adjust to him in particular. That's what made Sharpe special. He has a wr coming out and played at 228. He wasn't some Gronk like te and Shanny/Kubes found a way to not only run effective, but have that mismatch. Jordan is too shifty for lbs and too strong for safeties. If he can stay healthy, he can be a chess piece out of old school base offense. Is he going to blow up players in the hole? No, but that's not needed. The modern run game is angle blocking and creating small seams. Even in limited chances, you can see his wiggle at the stem and his rac.
excellent but what does that have to do with what I said?

Back