Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Phillip Lindsay signs with the Texans

All the reports claim the Texans are still getting calls from teams inquiring about a trade for DW4. At some point NC is going to have to s**t or get off the pot.

As far as the rb situation goes I look forward to seeing how that plays out.
I can imagine. There will be plenty of offers of second round picks I bet.😅

This is the problem, he’s still got all the answer machine messages offering 2 firsts, 2 2nds and a pro bowler that he turned down. Gonna be hard to accept what’s on offer now.
Now that criminal charges have been made to the police, I think this drags on and there will be no trades before the draft. Unless someone is silly enough to put out a strong offer regardless and I can't see that happening.

That's a good signing. I don't know most of the players NC has gone after but Lindsey is legit.

According to the staff, every player is going to get a shot at playing. They want competition and the best player/players are going to play. I also have heard we will have pre season games. So, think season we will see how players respond to true game speed. If not even quality players across the board.

According to the staff, every player is going to get a shot at playing. They want competition and the best player/players are going to play. I also have heard we will have pre season games. So, think season we will see how players respond to true game speed. If not even quality players across the board.

We'll see how it plays out. More often then not it's just coach jargon.

At 100% he can create some problems for the defense trying to stop him. I like the signing and teamed with Ingram could be a good 1-2 punch combo.

I'd still like to see RB- Trey Sermon, Ohio St fall into the Texans RD3 or RD4 picks. With the current RB's it wouldn't force onto the field early unless for injury and still make him the future at the position.

I'd still like to see RB- Trey Sermon, Ohio St fall into the Texans RD3 or RD4 picks. With the current RB's it wouldn't force onto the field early unless for injury and still make him the future at the position.

I do like Trey. The issue is IF a QB like Trask, Newman or Mills are still around in the 3rd I can easily get behind drafting one. Which one...hard to say. Now if he lasts to the 4th...sign me up for drafting Trey.

Just ran across a good explanation of what led up to Denver letting Lindsay go. The way our offense is seemingly shaping up, Lindsay will be an excellent fit and likely could return to his rookie form. Could turn out to be a real steal and the best back since Foster.
...When the Broncos brought in Pat Shurmur to replace recently-fired offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello, the entire strategy shifted.

Scangarello's offense relied heavily on misdirection. There were a lot of scheduled runs, a lot of quarterback under center looks, play-action, and a moving pocket. Rarely did you see the offense in three-WR sets outside of obvious passing situations. This offense played to Lindsay's strengths.

Shurmur’s offense, on the other hand, has a stark contrast in approach. His philosophy is more about spreading the defense out and pushing the ball downfield. This means a lot of 11 personnel (1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WRs). That package puts a lot more stress on the running back to block effectively, which is one of the weaker areas of Lindsay's game...

Last edited:
Just ran across a good explanation of what led up to Denver letting Lindsay go. The way our offense is seemingly shaping up, Lindsay will be an excellent fit and likely could return to his rookie form. Could turn out to be a real steal and the best back since Foster.

Lindsay was never known for his blocking.

We just signed, a couple weeks ago, Royce Freeman. So not unexpected. We had 5 RB's on the roster. Now that 5th slot can be used on another position.
Ingram, Phillips, Johnson, Burkhead, Lindsay.

we started the season with 5 RBs. How is it “not unexpected” that we decided we only need 4 three quarters into the season?

we started the season with 5 RBs. How is it “not unexpected” that we decided we only need 4 three quarters into the season?
Proves once again running backs backs are just a commodity, or a dime a dozen.
And when I say commodity I'm using it the same way economist use the term when they say a commodity is fungible, which means a barrel of oil is the same as another barrel of oil or a bushel of wheat is same as another bushel of wheat.
Why any NFL team would expend a really high pick on a running back in these times is a mystery to me ?

And when I say commodity I'm using it the same way economist use the term when they say a commodity is fungible, which means a barrel of oil is the same as another barrel of oil or a bushel of wheat is same as another bushel of wheat.
Why any NFL team would expend a really high pick on a running back in these times is a mystery to me ?

If you are a team that feels like you are close to winning a ring and a really good back is coming out I can see pulling the trigger. Especially if the back is also good at receiving.

But yeah, generally I’m against spending top picks on rb’s.

During the Titans' game, did anyone notice former Texans RB, Dontrell Hilliard who was cut in August got the majority of touches for the Titans? Now that they have cut Adrian Peterson, he might be the Titans' new starting RB.

During the Titans' game, did anyone notice former Texans RB, Dontrell Hilliard who was cut in August got the majority of touches for the Titans? Now that they have cut Adrian Peterson, he might be the Titans' new starting RB.
That Donte Forman that was eating our lunch, was he the same one the Texans cut as well?

Because the coaching staff re-evaluated during the off week. Lindsay had not performed up to expectations. The team is not in "tank mode" and are still making changes to win.
I'm still trying to figure out what RB on this team has performed up to expectations. Lindsay was always a relatively small back that overachieved, the coaching staff should have known after a handful of games that this OL is dysfunctional and any RB that will go down after 1st contact will be useless.

I'm still trying to figure out what RB on this team has performed up to expectations. Lindsay was always a relatively small back that overachieved, the coaching staff should have known after a handful of games that this OL is dysfunctional and any RB that will go down after 1st contact will be useless.
Clint Stoerner was on 610 today and he said during training camp, Lindsay looked like the best RB on the roster and then the season started and not one of his fifty carries was memorable or jumped out at you. Based on his training camp performance and expectation, he felt Lindsay was one of the biggest disappointments on the team.

Last edited:

Same mistake this team has always made……find a RB that’s a better fit for a ZBS and ask him to become a RB behind a PBS. It didn’t work with OB and it isn’t working for Culley.

Yes, the NFL is loaded with mediocre RB commodities…..but find that guy that can get you a solid 1,200 to 1,400 yards per season and they will help any team make the playoffs. E The Texans haven’t had one of these in a long time.

Last edited:
fwiw at the moment there are only three RB on the active roster

You know, cNNNd just posted that the Texans invited 3 players in for a tryout…..one of them was a FB. If the FB is signed maybe the Texans are going to elevate Freeman to RB1 and give him a FB to finally incorporate a power running game to go along with their PBS. I’d really like to see this approach taken. Maybe the team finds a couple of keepers for next season.

Yes, the NFL is loaded with mediocre RB commodities…..but find that guy that can get you a solid 1,200 to 1,400 yards per season and they will help any team make the playoffs. E The Texans haven’t had one of these in a long time.

Gotta fix the ol for this to happen.

How many RB's have rushed for 1,200 yds with the Pats?

If you are a team that feels like you are close to winning a ring and a really good back is coming out I can see pulling the trigger. Especially if the back is also good at receiving.

But yeah, generally I’m against spending top picks on rb’s.

I agree with that to a certain extent. There are backs that have better vision than others, hit the hole quicker, run routes better, block better, etc. Not any ol run of the mill back would have put up the numbers Arian Foster did.

Clint Stoerner was on 610 today and he said during training camp, Lindsay looked like the best RB on the roster and then the season started and not one of his fifty carries was memorable or jumped out at you. Based on his training camp performance and expectation, he felt Lindsay was one of the biggest disappointment on the team.
I'm guessing the lack of tackling in training camp and/or practicing against the Texans defense made all of our RBs look decent. Lindsay has some talent, so someone will probably add him to their practice squad within a few weeks.

Getting production out of any RB would prove that RBs are fungible. All this proves is that the Texans can't scout RBs or design a sound running game.
How many RB's have rushed for 1,200 yds with the Pats?
How many GOAT QBs have the Pats had?

A RB on a 2nd contract is poor value. A RB on a 4 year rookie deal (2nd round and lower) is great value. A good running attack can take a lot of pressure off a young QB. Which the Texans will eventually put on the field.

The Texans play design and personnel selection have been crap in regards to the run game. The belief that a good running game is complimentary to the QB and the defense is sound. Bringing in a good, young RB is essential to the development of this offense. Bringing in a coordinator that can design an effective run game is just as essential.

Getting production out of any RB would prove that RBs are fungible. All this proves is that the Texans can't scout RBs or design a sound running game.

A RB on a 2nd contract is poor value. A RB on a 4 year rookie deal (2nd round and lower) is great value. A good running attack can take a lot of pressure off a young QB. Which the Texans will eventually put on the field.

The Texans play design and personnel selection have been crap in regards to the run game. The belief that a good running game is complimentary to the QB and the defense is sound. Bringing in a good, young RB is essential to the development of this offense. Bringing in a coordinator that can design an effective run game is just as essential.
Nailed it. Been saying the same kind of thing for years.
If you have a rookie/raw/average QB you simply must must develop a good running game to take a load off of him.
Hell, even the goods ones need a decent running game to help their passing game, so how much more important is it for a lesser mortal?
Every year in the draft I thump the table for a decent RB as do many others in here so how is it our beloved Texans don't see it?
Smdh.

Mac Jones is exactly the type QB you're describing and I don't see a Pats RB getting 1,200 yds.

You're just wrong on all fronts here. bringing in a young, highly touted RB's is much more essential. Cook, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry..McCaffrey.... The best rb's in the game are almost all 1st or 2nd round picks. Kubes with Vernand Morency & the "Dayne-train", didn't exactly inspire confidence that they could scout RB's or design a sound run game either. Stop working under this notion that its easy to find top level guys all up & down the draft & its just a matter of "Coaching up" b/c it semi-happened here with 1 guy. Arian Foster's don't grow on trees...stop acting like they do.

RB value also really has nothing to do with whether or not they are on their 1st or 2nd contract dude. What do you think about Sean McVay as a play designer & "personnel" selector? Pretty good huh? His offense with Gurley was explosive as hell..even with a high end game manager like Goff as his qb. Soon as Gurley went down, his team's run game and offense took a huge hit...The fact that Gurley was on his 2nd contract had nothing to do with his value b/c he was already 1 year into that contract and having a damn good year the year they went to the SB. The following year, what did McVay's offense & run game look like when he had also ran's like Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson splitting carries with a hobbled Gurley? Funny how his great play designs and personnel didn't look so great without that premium back anchoring it. It's also funny that it didn't start to look like it was with prime Gurley until they went and drafted another premium talent in Cam Akers high in the draft too.

We've also seen Arthur Smith come out of nowhere to become a HC....basically off the strength of 2nd round pick Derrick Henry coming into his own & running rough shod over the league. Now tell me how Smith's great play design and personnel selecting has faired since he's been in ATL without Henry?

You've bought into this narrative about RB's parrotted around the league's FO's hook, line and sinker. FO's and fans like you have gotten this notion that the position is somehow less valuable b/c there's plenty of depth in most drafts to get serviceable RB's later to fit whatever you want to do on offense..... & its the furthest thing from the truth. If you want a true top level, offense-shaping RB, you still have to take 1 at the top of the draft.........something the Texans have never really done even under Kubes..Ben Tate not withstandiing. So why hold them to a different standard and expect them to coach & play design their way to a great run game when the vast majority of the league can't do it without a top level guy?

Back