Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Percy Harvin

87 receptions last year 6 tds
354 rushing yards
caught 73% of passes thrown his way (outstanding rate)
Legit return man
threat to score from anywhere on the field
cheap
young

He did it with a rookie qb. You should think of him as a #1 because he IS.

Yeah, those are pretty good numbers considering the offense that he was in, but are you honestly telling me that you think that Percy Harvin is a true #1 WR that can be that guy for years? He is more of a gadget WR that can make get yards after the catch, but he isn't a deep threat WR and never will be. Most of the time you want your #1 WR to be a versatile WR that can do it all. Harvin will never be a guy that can do it all in my opinion. I don't think you'll find many others that would agree with you there either. Hell, just in this thread alone there are only a few people (Which includes me) that would even want him as a #2 WR. I think that's crazy considering the fact that Walter is our #2 WR and he is a pretty bad one at that.

Yeah, those are pretty good numbers considering the offense that he was in, but are you honestly telling me that you think that Percy Harvin is a true #1 WR that can be that guy for years? He is more of a gadget WR that can make get yards after the catch, but he isn't a deep threat WR and never will be. Most of the time you want your #1 WR to be a versatile WR that can do it all. Harvin will never be a guy that can do it all in my opinion. I don't think you'll find many others that would agree with you there either. Hell, just in this thread alone there are only a few people (Which includes me) that would even want him as a #2 WR. I think that's crazy considering the fact that Walter is our #2 WR and he is a pretty bad one at that.

Its funny that you refer to the opinions in this thread...this morning on the sports radio stations(3) the consensus was just the opposite. If he can be had, get him. He has speed to burn so he is a deep threat (although his average yards wasnt great this year). Think of him like desean jackson. My only onfield concern with the guy in our offense would be his ability to block - and i'm assuming hes a poor blocker due to his size- dont honestly know.

Its funny that you refer to the opinions in this thread...this morning on the sports radio stations(3) the consensus was just the opposite. If he can be had, get him. He has speed to burn so he is a deep threat (although his average yards wasnt great this year). Think of him like desean jackson. My only onfield concern with the guy in our offense would be his ability to block - and i'm assuming hes a poor blocker due to his size- dont honestly know.

He isn't and never will be the type of impact player as a deep threat that Desean Jackson is. Desean was a huge deep threat going all the way back to his college days. Harvin was never a big deep threat in college. He played a WR/RB type of WR that made a living off of short pass routes where he made yards after the catch. He was like a RB that could catch a lot of passes. He isn't that much different in the NFL. He has gotten better as far as being a down field threat, but that will never be his strength as a WR. My entire characterization of his skill set though is exactly what I think would work great on the Texans team, because we already have AJ as a great deep threat and we wouldn't need that out of Harvin. I think he'd be a great fit here skill wise, but I do agree that there are character concerns. With him being so young though, I'd take that risk since we're in "win now" mode or at least we need to be.

He isn't and never will be the type of impact player as a deep threat that Desean Jackson is. Desean was a huge deep threat going all the way back to his college days. Harvin was never a big deep threat in college. He played a WR/RB type of WR that made a living off of short pass routes where he made yards after the catch. He was like a RB that could catch a lot of passes. He isn't that much different in the NFL. He has gotten better as far as being a down field threat, but that will never be his strength as a WR. My entire characterization of his skill set though is exactly what I think would work great on the Texans team, because we already have AJ as a great deep threat and we wouldn't need that out of Harvin. I think he'd be a great fit here skill wise, but I do agree that there are character concerns. With him being so young though, I'd take that risk since we're in "win now" mode or at least we need to be.

Harvin isnt the return man jackson is but their body types and styles are very similar. Harvin is young and getting better...to this point in their careers (3yrs) Harvin is a better reciever then jackson was(production). If your looking for a #1 wideout in the mold of fitzgerald, Harvin's not your guy. But a cursory look through team rosters leads me to believe he'd be a #1 wr for 15 teams and in the mix for 3-4 more. Fantasy football mags routinely have him ranked in the top 12-20 range. I realize those are just mags so I take it with a grain of salt but he is legit. We agree the Texans should be in a win now mindset and this guy would be a fantastic addition no matter how you slice it.

Again, Harvin isn't going anywhere. His complaint seems to be about playing time, which has some merit...

Vikings Misuse

A far bigger problem has been the Vikings refusal to get the most out of their dynamic superstar. Last season Harvin played just 58.8% of the Vikings offensive snaps, and never played in a game where he saw more than 80%. In his career to date, Harvin has never played in a game in which he didn’t come off the field, and the closest he came to an ever-present game was Week 7 of 2009 where he missed just a hand full of snaps against the Packers. In that game he accounted for 65 yards receiving, another 41 and a touchdown rushing the ball, and returned three kicks for an average of 27 yards per attempt.
Last season Harvin led the NFL with a catch rate of 79.1% when working in the slot. That was well clear of the pack and more than 5% better than Marques Colston, who is as sure handed as they come across the middle. There were only four receivers who gained more yards per route run than Harvin did last season, bettering the marks set by the likes of Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald and A.J. Green. Christian Ponder finished the season with a passer rating of 70.1, and Donovan McNabb was just at 82.9, but on throws targeting Harvin, the pair combined for a QB rating of 97.2.

Harvin finished the season as our 6th ranked WR with a grade of +14.3, and he had fewer snaps than any of the players ranked ahead of him...
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/20/the-vikings-cant-afford-to-lose-percy-harvin/

I know it's early and there's no way to know at this time but I think the staff thinks we have that guy on the roster already in K-Mart. Granted, he doesn't have an NFL snap under his belt yet but has received praise from the man that counts on numerous occasions already.

Other considerations being: Rookie contract, hasn't developed the dreaded 'Diva Syndrome" and zero baggage. The one knock on K-Mart being that he's not finishing plays. My gut tells me Softy Gary will have him finishing plays to the goal line during TC.

Nothing to base this on other than (or is that "then":kitten:) my gut feeling but more times than not, the 'ol gut comes through.

Agree/disagree?

I know it's early and there's no way to know at this time but I think the staff thinks we have that guy on the roster already in K-Mart. Granted, he doesn't have an NFL snap under his belt yet but has received praise from the man that counts on numerous occasions already.

Other considerations being: Rookie contract, hasn't developed the dreaded 'Diva Syndrome" and zero baggage. The one knock on K-Mart being that he's not finishing plays. My gut tells me Softy Gary will have him finishing plays to the goal line during TC.

Nothing to base this on other than (or is that "then":kitten:) my gut feeling but more times than not, the 'ol gut comes through.

Agree/disagree?

They HOPE.

Drafting is always hit and miss. And it's WAY too early to tell what we have in any of these players.

The question is how comfy Kubes feels with such an inexperienced bunch. He's not one to trust rookies if he can help it.

...late to the thread but I'd love to have PH on this team. Dude's a big time weapon and an elite player when his team can get him the ball. The Vikings have had garbage quarterbacking for a while....would love to see Harvin in a real offense.

That said, no way we trade for Harvin. Price and concussion history takes care of that.

...late to the thread but I'd love to have PH on this team.

I'd love to have a player just like PH on the team but without the attitude and medical history. AJ, Harvin-clone and Schaub would carve the league up then top it off with Foster. It would be like the skit - which way'd they go? - which way'd who go?

Harvin isnt the return man jackson is but their body types and styles are very similar. Harvin is young and getting better...to this point in their careers (3yrs) Harvin is a better reciever then jackson was(production). If your looking for a #1 wideout in the mold of fitzgerald, Harvin's not your guy. But a cursory look through team rosters leads me to believe he'd be a #1 wr for 15 teams and in the mix for 3-4 more. Fantasy football mags routinely have him ranked in the top 12-20 range. I realize those are just mags so I take it with a grain of salt but he is legit. We agree the Texans should be in a win now mindset and this guy would be a fantastic addition no matter how you slice it.

Harvin is also a pro bowl level PR/KR. He would be the best PR/KR that this team has ever had. The numbers that Playoffs posted above suggest that Harvin hasn't been used to fullest extent of his abilities.

If AJ is only able to play 10 games or so, then having Harvin to take the pressure off the Posey/Martin/Jeans of the world would be ideal. If AJ stays healthy the you have a dynamic WR corps.

I'm later than Vinny but would like to add my 2 cents . I'd be willing to give a 2nd and beyond . The dude is just to good when he gets the ball in his hands . I don't see him as Desean Jackson as much as I see him as Darren Sproles .

Agree/disagree?

I hope you're right about Martin/Jean/Posey.

You've got to figure 1 out of the 3 will work out. Getting Harvin on board would give them the time to develop properly. Instead of being rushed on the field before they are ready like Gary did with JJ.

I'm later than Vinny but would like to add my 2 cents . I'd be willing to give a 2nd and beyond . The dude is just to good when he gets the ball in his hands . I don't see him as Desean Jackson as much as I see him as Darren Sproles .

Do you honestly think Rick/Gary will be able to find a WR as good as Harvin if they are picking in the 28-32 range in next yrs draft. I dont.

Harvin has a very reasonable contract for the next 2 yrs and is out performing his current contract. Harvin would be a perfect WR2. IMHO The only question I've got about Harvin is his blocking ability.

Harvin is a WR that you can win with. NC/NFC championship game his last yr in college and rookie yr in the NFL. He really hasn't been a diva since he's been in the NFL. Or maybe he has and I just cant find examples since he's been in the NFL.

The best thing about trading for Harvin is that he's only 24 yrs old and already played in the league for 3 yrs. You should be able to get max production from Harvin for another 6-8 yrs.

Do you honestly think Rick/Gary will be able to find a WR as good as Harvin if they are picking in the 28-32 range in next yrs draft. I dont.

Harvin has a very reasonable contract for the next 2 yrs and is out performing his current contract. Harvin would be a perfect WR2. IMHO The only question I've got about Harvin is his blocking ability.

Harvin is a WR that you can win with. NC/NFC championship game his last yr in college and rookie yr in the NFL. He really hasn't been a diva since he's been in the NFL. Or maybe he has and I just cant find examples since he's been in the NFL.

The best thing about trading for Harvin is that he's only 24 yrs old and already played in the league for 3 yrs. You should be able to get max production from Harvin for another 6-8 yrs.

But what about that ugly cap issue?

An ESPN recap published Jan 2012:
Percy Harvin (B+): As dynamic in space as anyone in the NFL, Harvin never quit, even as the losses mounted and a nagging rib issue knocked him out again and again. Participated in all 16 games (14 starts) for the first time. Played only 600 snaps (57.9%) on offense but nonetheless racked up 1,832 total yards on 155 touches. Set career highs with 87 catches for 967 yards (11.1 average) in 118 targets (73.7%) and ran 52 times for 345 yards (6.6 average), touching the ball once every 2.3 snaps he was on the field. Returned 16 kickoffs for 520 yards (32.5 average), including a 103-yard touchdown on the season's opening kickoff at San Diego and a 104-yard return at Atlanta. Caught six touchdown passes, including 52- and 48-yarders against Denver, and ran for two more. Became a focal point in Musgrave's offense, getting a variety of manufactured touches and at times lining up as a traditional halfback. Generated 14 receptions of 20 yards or more. Blocked as well as any receiver in the NFL. Dropped out of four games because of the rib issue. Spent the final 5 minutes and overtime against Detroit throwing up on the sideline. Twice returned at Carolina and spun for a pivotal 11-yard gain on third-and-7. Missed two practices because of illness the week of the Denver game, only to explode for 156 yards on eight catches. Generated 616 yards after the catch, trailing only New England's Wes Welker. Broke 15 tackles. Dropped six passes. Fumbled twice and lost both. Took three penalties. Still only 23 years old, Harvin has a chance to play himself into a monster contract after next season if he stays healthy -- and if the Vikings don't lock him up first.

2 years for 4.3 million, plus the compensatory pick you could get when he leaves is pretty good if you ask me.

Enjoy the 2 years, because after that he'll be un-signable.

Plus, he doesn't suit our offense. This offense is Foster/Tate and then a myriad of passing plays that target AJ or the soup de jour TE (whomever that is on any given Sunday).

I respect the guy's game. I don't even think he's the "cancer" some people have said he is. My problem is (a) not exactly the prototypical Kubiak WR, for what we do, and (b) what happens after two years and he wants big boy money?

Plus, Minnesota doesn't even want to trade him. He's all they have right now.

Just too many adverse variables to make the equation work.

He's their best weapon on offense. AP is trying to come back, but it's not a done deal that AP returns to previous form in 2012.

Why would they trade their best asset going into 2012?

I wasn't saying they would. All I'm saying is that using a GM's comments as facts about who they will or will not trade is crazy-talk because it's a GM's job to lie through his teeth.

If Spielman sees a deal where he can trade Harvin and improve his team, he'll trade him in a second.

I wasn't saying they would. All I'm saying is that using a GM's comments as facts about who they will or will not trade is crazy-talk because it's a GM's job to lie through his teeth.

If Spielman sees a deal where he can trade Harvin and improve his team, he'll trade him in a second.

Agreed.

They'd need a WR for starters, though. LOL.

Enjoy the 2 years, because after that he'll be un-signable.

What?? That's the point, we get him for 2 years in the midst of a Super Bowl run. He's worth it to put us over the top.

Plus, he doesn't suit our offense. This offense is Foster/Tate and then a myriad of passing plays that target AJ or the soup de jour TE (whomever that is on any given Sunday).

Yeah, if AJ makes it the whole season without missing a game, I will be surprised. We need a contingency plan for him, because without him our vertical game will go into the toilet. Harvin may not be the best #1 WR, but he's better than what we got. For a 2nd, I'd do it in no time.

I respect the guy's game. I don't even think he's the "cancer" some people have said he is. My problem is (a) not exactly the prototypical Kubiak WR, for what we do, and (b) what happens after two years and he wants big boy money?

Plus, Minnesota doesn't even want to trade him. He's all they have right now.

Just too many adverse variables to make the equation work.

a) who cares about prototypical size? Jacoby had it and wasn't very useful in the passing game. Kubiak is smart enough to find uses for him. Harvin would get several touches a game and be effective.
b) you let him walk and get a compensatory pick for him. Or maybe you franchise tag him and entice him to stay. Either way the two years with him will be better than without him.

If we are truly making a Super Bowl run, then we need to get every advantage possible. Harvin's contract makes him a good fit for us. I'd gladly send a 2nd and Martin or Posey to the Vikings for him.

2 years would give us more time to find legitimate replacements for our starting wideouts. I'd worry about what price ph wants 2 years from now. Truth be told, if he were here and he foundout how a real offense operates, he might decide its in his best interest to stay.

2 years would give us more time to find legitimate replacements for our starting wideouts. I'd worry about what price ph wants 2 years from now. Truth be told, if he were here and he foundout how a real offense operates, he might decide its in his best interest to stay.

Harvin at the very least buys the Texans 2 yrs to develop Posey.

Last edited:

You know what else doesn't suit our offense? 335 lb o-linemen. Oh wait, we've got that dont we? To say ph wouldnt fit here is a slight to one of the best offensive minds in the game (kubes).

I see Kubes as a guy, like Wade, who knows his system so well that he can take talented guys that don't fit in the system and still put the guy in a good place to succeed. As long as the player does what Kubes tells him to do when he tells him to do it.

He has guys he prefers but he'll take a talented guy or a guy who's got some upside and find a way to make him fit. I mean, Darius Walker and Wali Lundy both looked like they could have been pro running backs at one point.

Just thought I would bump this thread.

Not that the Vikes wanted to trade him. But Harvin is playing at an MVP level. Sure would have looked good opposite Dre. Certianly worth a 1st rd pick.

Just thought I would bump this thread.

Not that the Vikes wanted to trade him. But Harvin is playing at an MVP level. Sure would have looked good opposite Dre. Certianly worth a 1st rd pick.

Thats no Lie.... That would have been 2 MVP caliber players on one team

Back