Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Percy Harvin

My comments were along the lines that somebody who smokes WEED for migraines most likely smoked WEED before they had migraines and will still smoke WEED after migraines are gone or subside.

Just responding to this part.

That's not neccesarily true. I don't think he's missed any time due to failed drug tests and if a person has problems with migraines they will likely try whatever works.

I've read stuff that says mary jane is an immediate remedy.

I don't know how you can make a statement like that....We really don't know..

That's not neccesarily true. I don't think he's missed any time due to failed drug tests and if a person has problems with migraines they will likely try whatever works.

Yeah, GP. You're making the assumption that the migraines are an excuse to smoke pot. IF he really has migraines and if they're as bad as has been reported, then I'm not going to hold his pot smoking against him because it's like taking any other painkiller to stop the pain.

Sorry, Rey. I piggybacked you.

Yeah, GP. You're making the assumption that the migraines are an excuse to smoke pot. IF he really has migraines and if they're as bad as has been reported, then I'm not going to hold his pot smoking against him because it's like taking any other painkiller to stop the pain.

Piggybacking some more!

I used to get migraines to the point where I was hospitalized for them. I was young (and luckily have mostly grown out of getting them consistently it seems), but if I was still getting them consistently I would not rule anything out to help me deal with them in a different manner. The only way I was dealing with them was losing essentially a week at a time lying in bed on 4 or 5 different drugs. And that was zero fun.

Pot smoking is against the rules in the NFL whether he has migraines or not... it's not like the league is going to say "oh you have migraines, we're sorry... toke up". They'll suspend him just the same.

And I don't hold his pot smoking against him either, I think it should be legal and if they (my employers) allowed me to toke up, I would... but I can't, because they don't allow me to and it's illegal.

Pot smoking is against the rules in the NFL whether he has migraines or not... it's not like the league is going to say "oh you have migraines, we're sorry... toke up". They'll suspend him just the same.

I don't know if they have ever done it with pot but the NFL does grant exceptions for banned substances where they are prescribed as necessary for medical treatment by a Doc. That doesn't apply in this conversation because neither Minnesota or Texas has a medical marijuana statute. But for instance the most hated substance of all steroids have been approved a bunch of times - but you darn well better get it approved before taking it.

You just described every player in the NFL...mario williams, brian cushing, arian foster, matt schaub (who was already banged up before going out), TJ Yates...AJ... Every player...

Harvin being injury prone is a myth...he's an NFL player, never 100% healthy...

As for the Texans trading for him? I'm not all for that...

They don't complain about being nicked up nor do they pull themselves out of games.

My comments were along the lines that somebody who smokes WEED for migraines most likely smoked WEED before they had migraines and will still smoke WEED after migraines are gone or subside.

Ha, maybe you should have made your comments about it more along those lines, because they weren't! Your original comment/analogy was no where in the ball park of the comments quoted above...no where.. (EDIT: actually, reading it again, i can see where you would be going down that line...was just kind of incomplete i guess..)

And i do agree that it's possible he's just a smoker period... And it's a huge risk paying for a player you know for sure can get popped, whether you agree with what that player is doing and why or not...

There could be a legal alternative for situations like Harvin's available in the future.

Cannabis without the high will smoke out nauseating medical marijuana activists

Michael A. DeVine
Atlanta Law & Politics Examiner

The death knell of the medical marijuana movement?

Seriously, how many pairs of Birkenstocks will be worn out walking the streets to legalize pot that ONLY relieves the nausea of the seriously ill, but doesn't get you high?

Israeli scientists, rather than attempting to cultivate coconut oil that won't make you fat or New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's food Nazi blood boil, have instead invented "cannabis without the high":
Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.

"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.

"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.

According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.

Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.

There could be a legal alternative for situations like Harvin's available in the future.

Discussion for another day or another forum but isn't that basically an admission pot has useful properties and the only reason it is being regulated is because people also receive pleasure?

I can make a statement that smoking WEED (I like to capitalize it because it needs to be capitalized. It's not Tylenol. It's WEED) is bad for a player who is going to be tested in the NFL.

We gripe all.the.time about how "Players should know what's on the PED list, how could he get popped for this...how could he get popped for that." Why not sit here and say that any player we acquire who might be smoking WEED might get busted and draw a lengthy suspension, which means he's doing us no good by sitting out games we needed him for???????????

I don't think it's out of line. I think what IS out of line is how WEED is suddenly the en vogue wonder treatment. It seems to be the answer to everything. LOL.

You ought to hold his pot smoking against him if he's on your team and gets popped and then has to sit out games because of suspension.

Damn straight you should hold his pot smoking against him. If he's not on our team? Then that's awesome...I hope he smokes until it oozes out of his pores and he serves a suspension with any other of the 31 teams out there.

But if he's on MY team and he smokes, no way Jose. I say nope to dope in that scenario. No risk-taking if I'm an owner and it's an issue.

And I don't hold his pot smoking against him either, I think it should be legal and if they (my employers) allowed me to toke up, I would... but I can't, because they don't allow me to and it's illegal.

I guess I'm really amazed at the level of acceptance toward WEED. It's almost like people find it as a badge of honor or something. I totally don't understand the culture of it. And never will, I suppose. And I'm not willing to try it in order to attempt an understanding of it, either.

My main emphasis, if not my ONLY emphasis is that doing WEED is bad because it's still considered to be a no-no by employers, especially NFL employers. For that reason--since my only true sports love is NFL football--I don't want the Texans doing WEED. We wouldn't want a player doing roids in the off-season and risking not cycling off in time...we wouldn't want a player to light up a fatty and get busted (whether he's tested or busted by a cop, etc.).

Ha, maybe you should have made your comments about it more along those lines, because they weren't! Your original comment/analogy was no where in the ball park of the comments quoted above...no where.. (EDIT: actually, reading it again, i can see where you would be going down that line...was just kind of incomplete i guess..)

And i do agree that it's possible he's just a smoker period... And it's a huge risk paying for a player you know for sure can get popped, whether you agree with what that player is doing and why or not...

No, I shouldn't have to micro-manage every single thing I say. In fact, in your quote (above) you even state that in re-reading what I said you can see what I meant.

What I think is really going on is that there's a contingency of smokers here who are sympathetic to the issue to the point that the issue can't be debated within any confines.

It won't matter how many times I say that I only care about this issue as it affects MY favorite team, nah...all that gets read is that GP says nope to dope for everyone. I'm infringing on people's civil liberties or something...when all I said was that we don't need a smoker on our team if he's using to medically treat a health issue. Ricky Williams had to go find himself in a sweaty tent all over the world, he retired from football too...we don't need smokers, and I'd hope this team would seriously consider that when acquiring players.

Am I naive enough to think our guys aren't smoking? No. I'm saying if we have prior knowledge of a smoker out there whom we are targeting, why go after him and spend the money, the draft pick(s), and risk him getting popped in the future? Seems too risky to me.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
As Kevin Seifert wrote on ESPN.com, Vikings GM Rick Spielman said today his team has "no interest at all" in trading Percy Harvin. Carry on.

And although I didn't quote him...what CnD posted is so freaking true.

If WEED is medicinal, then let's do the weed that doesn't get us high. Let's see the amount of orders that are placed for weed rather than WEED. ;)

:turtle:

Like Cak said, the NFL grants exemptions in certain cases. While Harvin may not be able to toke up in Minnesota, he spends plenty of time in other states and if he wants, he could request an exemption so he could toke up while he was in a state that allowed it.

Like Cak said, the NFL grants exemptions in certain cases. While Harvin may not be able to toke up in Minnesota, he spends plenty of time in other states and if he wants, he could request an exemption so he could toke up while he was in a state that allowed it.

Would he be able to in Texas? Or would he need to vacation somewhere.

Maybe that non-high weed will get released and it will solve that problem for lots of players who need the weed for medicinal purposes. That'd be a good thing.

Discussion for another day or another forum but isn't that basically an admission pot has useful properties and the only reason it is being regulated is because people also receive pleasure?

I also don't want to get into any deep discussion of legalities of this substance. The Israeli research was strictly in the context of true medicinal use.........treating medical conditions. But the marijuana concern is far from only giving "pleasure." Notwithstanding the concerns over immediate altered cognitive effects, it extends to health concerns of long-term use as it relates to various parts of the body, immunity, cancer and brain anatomy and function.

Would he be able to in Texas? Or would he need to vacation somewhere.

Not legal in Texas. There are 17 states where it's legal. He'd need to go to Arizona, one of the California teams, Detroit, Denver, or one of the New Jersey teams.

Or he'd have to commute in from another state to wherever his team is, which is what I assume he's doing with the Vikings.

Maybe that non-high weed will get released and it will solve that problem for lots of players who need the weed for medicinal purposes. That'd be a good thing.

They've created drugs based on medicinal marijuana but it takes about an hour to take effect as opposed to a few minutes with the regular weed. Weed also has a whole array of chemicals with possible medicinal side-effects while the drugs only contain 1. So the weed may be more beneficial for them than just taking the synthesized drug.

But I'd like to point out that most drugs that actually do something to help with pain or discomfort will get you high.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol or do recreational drugs. If I was in pain, I wouldn't be looking at medical marijuana as a chance to do drugs legally, I'd be looking at it as a way to reduce pain. I think you're concentrating too much on the getting high part and not enough of the pain alleviation part.

Well that kind of flies in the face of everything you said prior to this statement.

He has all these problems, but they'd be nuts to trade him?

Seems like they should have been actively trying to replace him for a while now....

They likely won't trade him because he's a good player.

Yeah, I"m with you on this one.

Kind of surprised at all of these comments where folks are acting like Harvin is some sort of Chad Jonhnson/Roy Williams type of guy who can't produce or is a team cancer.

You look at the current offense for the Texans and Harvin would be a great fit in my mind. He could go all over the middle of the field and make a ton of plays helping the TE's to get open or to free up AJ fairly easily. Either that, or the TE's would have to be heavily guarded while a guy like Harvin could do a lot of damage. He is a different type of WR than what AJ is for sure, but his skill set is a very good one for this offense that could make it really dynamic. I'd love to make a trade like this.

I'll admit that Harvin has had a few issues, but mainly minor. His attitude isn't great, but it's not horrible either like a lot of other diva WR's around the league. His injury issues are slightly concerning, but only slightly and that is mainly because of his size. He isn't the toughest guy in the world. But overall he'd be a great piece for this offense to really take that extra step to free up so many other guys. We really need another offensive play maker as a receiving threat right now, and I think that Harvin's skill set make him totally worth the risk. People always act like one draft pick is going to ruin your entire draft for some reason. They tend to forget how many 1-3 rounders don't ever amount to anything and end up being wasted picks any way. Apparently people forgot the wildcard piece that Harvin was when Favre and Sidney Rice were both there.

I also think that the Vikings would be wise to trade him if they can get good compensation. His skill set doesn't make their offense that explosive without the other options on the team. Harvin is more of a great piece to have when other pieces are around him sort of like Welker. He isn't that valuable to the Vikings team in their current condition. He would be to the Texans or a team like the Saints though.

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minne...in-urban-meyer-florida-football-program-drugs

Yeah, I don't want the guy on my team and I certainly wouldn't give up any assets to get him here either. I'd rather roll with the players that we have, especially since he's a glorified slot receiver. The fact that he's already acting like a brat and demanding trades just highlights his crappy attitude. No thanks.

There's a reason Meyer included him in the teams inner circle. He helped him win a NC. I would take a team full of Harvins if they helped the Texans win a SB.

Check out Dutchs posts and tell me if the $$$$ are reasonable? Is the talent there to be a true difference maker? Would he be an upgrade.

I can believe that some posters would hate him because of his college weed smoking. (Most kids do) The fact that Meyer took Harvin into his inner circle tells me Meyer believed Harvins side of the story over the assistant coaches side. Look, kids do stupid stuff in college. How long are the MB morality gods going to hold things against these kids?

Harvin has been a disciplinary problem in his 3 yrs with the Vikings. The fact that some MB members would rather roll with Walter and 3 rookies (including Jean) that have never played a down of regular season football. Instead of a guy like Harvin who has more playoff experience than any WR on the Texans and caught 80 balls last yr befuddles me. But hey, winning is the most important thing to me for the team I root for, I care about production over character.

BTW, Gary appears to be unhappy with the rookies performance at the OTA's.

A huge risk?

Does this mean that we may miss out on another.

2nd-3rd rd draft pick, Posey/JJ/Harris/Slaton etc.... heck lets include KJ in the discussion. I can be fairly certian that Harvin is a better player than anybody Rick/Gary can draft at 32 especially given their track record of drafting WR's. I think Wade probably could find a guy as good at 32. LOL

Such a huge risk for a proven producer. LOL

And although I didn't quote him...what CnD posted is so freaking true.

If WEED is medicinal, then let's do the weed that doesn't get us high. Let's see the amount of orders that are placed for weed rather than WEED. ;)

:turtle:

GP, unless you're completely drug free which includes alcohol, I don't think you are in any position to bash the idea of why someone wants or needs to smoke weed in some form. It's less dangerous than drugs like alcohol and tobacco which rake in Billions every year and does help many people deal with chronic illnesses and pain. It's not just some excuse that everyone uses just so they can catch a buzz. The only reason why it's illegal from the NFL's perspective is because it's illegal in the majority of states and cities in this country which is a pretty big government interference on people's casual lives. It's really not that different than if the government decided that salt was illegal due to the sodium in it or something. How long would it take for the NFL to ban players from eating food with salt after that since it's illegal? I don't think that fighting the idea of weed smoke or hemp products is a fair battle here.

I do understand where you're coming from as far as the suspension issues though if he were to get caught with a dirty urine test again. That does have to be considered. However, waving off any criticism for the NFL for it's practices that mimic the government's abuse of authority is not a productive idea to support.

I don't think it's out of line. I think what IS out of line is how WEED is suddenly the en vogue wonder treatment. It seems to be the answer to everything. LOL.

LOL, ummm no. We are sitting at what appears to be nearing the end of a prohibitionist era which is a blink of an eye in pot's use in medicine.

Not going to give you a slew of examples but well over 3000 years ago the Chinese considered pot one of their 50 fundamental medicines. Likewise their are medical records in Egypt dating back 3500 years. Ancient Greece was in on the party as well. Flash forward to here in good ol' USA in 1937:

220px-Drug_bottle_containing_cannbis.jpg

The first prohibitions on pot didn't start until the 1920's.

LOL, ummm no. We are sitting at what appears to be nearing the end of a prohibitionist era which is a blink of an eye in pot's use in medicine.

Not going to give you a slew of examples but well over 3000 years ago the Chinese considered pot one of their 50 fundamental medicines. Likewise their are medical records in Egypt dating back 3500 years. Ancient Greece was in on the party as well. Flash forward to here in good ol' USA in 1937:

220px-Drug_bottle_containing_cannbis.jpg

The first prohibitions on pot didn't start until the 1920's.

Those ancient folks were way hipper than we are. Pot, Orgies, Opium and barfatoriums... Straight up hipster decadence... I think society has devolved.

You are correct sir.

There goes some of the illegal profit those in power make off of keeping it illegal.

Sorry didn't mean to derail this thread.

...............It lessens the pain and bleeding during my rhinoplasties (nasal surgeries)...........thank the Lord for my cocaine............:)

Not likely the Vikings turn loose.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Awaiting Percy Harvin's next move
By Kevin Seifert

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- A whirlwind 24 hours ended Wednesday with the Minnesota Vikings uncertain when they'll next see their best receiver.

Will more playing time help keep star WR Percy Harvin happy in Minnesota?
Percy Harvin apparently bolted the Vikings' mandatory minicamp between the morning and afternoon practice sessions, and coach Leslie Frazier said he was not sure if Harvin would attend the final practice Thursday. The departure raised the stakes of a drama that seemed destined to peter out Wednesday morning after Harvin reported to the Vikings' practice, a day after telling reporters he is unhappy with multiple issues and then privately asking the Vikings for a trade.

Harvin was on the field but did not participate in the Wednesday morning session. After conducting the afternoon session with Harvin nowhere to be seen, Frazier wouldn't say whether the absence was excused. If it wasn't, Harvin could be subject to a $10,000 fine and then an additional $20,000 fine if he skips Thursday's session, according to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

"I don't want to get into it until we have a chance to have an extensive conversation," Frazier said, promising that conversation would occur before training camp.

It's early, and again from a historic perspective, these dramas tend to work themselves out more often than they cause extended absences from training camp. But Harvin has proved in three years to be a less-than-predictable personality, and there is no way to know for sure that his emotions will subside over the next month.

Earlier in the day, the Vikings seemed to lay out a set of organizational parameters. Among them:

*The team reiterated its commitment to increasing Harvin's playing time beyond the 58 percent of snaps he played last season. "Yes," offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said. "Looking forward to it."

*There is almost no chance he will be traded. "We have no interest at all in trading Percy Harvin," general manager Rick Spielman said.

*He isn't likely to get a new contract, if he wants one, until next year. Harvin has two years remaining on his contract, and Spielman said: "We have a history of extending players going into the last year of their contract, and that's been our history."

Spielman pledged to "work out" whatever issues are contributing to Harvin's state of mind, a massage process that happens more often than you probably think inside NFL organizations. Team building is not just about collecting good players and finding quality coaches to guide them. It's about managing the inevitable detours created when you corral competitive and often volatile personalities in the structure of professional sports.

"It's part of the NFL," Spielman said. "There are always going to be some players where you have to deal with specific issues. You deal with them internally and get them resolved and move forward."

Harvin has demonstrated an extreme level of volatility in this instance. Trust me when I tell you that few, if any, members of the organization saw this coming before Tuesday. Before revealing it to a group of reporters Tuesday, Harvin had confided no significant displeasure to any authority figure associated with the team.

That means Harvin can turn off his displeasure as quickly as he turned it on. In some ways, the Vikings would be smart to wait for a bit and see if this blows over. If it doesn't, and Percy Harvin really is going to stay away from training camp until the Vikings trade him, we will be in for a long, long ride.

He got the injury rap because he missed a game for headaches instead of an ankle or whatever. People remember that and consider him soft because of it.

He got the "turd" rep in college. To my knowledge hes had no off field incidents since hes been in the nfl (did I miss a headline?)

He's cheap and he has been an a very good wideout on a team with very bad quarterback play. He would instantly be one of the most electric threats on our team. I'd give up a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat. At least make a call R.S. to findout an asking price.

He got the injury rap because he missed a game for headaches instead of an ankle or whatever. People remember that and consider him soft because of it.

He got the "turd" rep in college. To my knowledge hes had no off field incidents since hes been in the nfl (did I miss a headline?)

He's cheap and he has been an a very good wideout on a team with very bad quarterback play. He would instantly be one of the most electric threats on our team. I'd give up a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat. At least make a call R.S. to findout an asking price.

At the end of the day, this would only be a pipe dream for the folks like myself who would be for this. Rick Smith does not make big trades like this. He only wants to build through the draft with an occassional trade that usually involves low key players or picks. Harvin doesn't fit the "Ivy League" mentality that Mcnair typically wants on this team.

At the end of the day, this would only be a pipe dream for the folks like myself who would be for this. Rick Smith does not make big trades like this. He only wants to build through the draft with an occassional trade that usually involves low key players or picks. Harvin doesn't fit the "Ivy League" mentality that Mcnair typically wants on this team.

While I agree with this post.

I'm pretty sure JJ,KJ and AJ for that matter weren't recruited by Ivy League schools.

A headcase that scores touchdowns in a variety of ways.

Has Harvin ever failed a drug test?

Is he in the NFL's substance abuse program?

If not there's nothing to worry about.

WAIT!!! What???!?!!?

Doc, i'm thinking a little prescription for a) xxx
b)xxx
And finally c)xxx

He got the "turd" rep in college.

His track record is a little more extensive than that. He was twice suspended on his HS football team and then got into a fight in a basketball game which resulted in his being banned from further HS athletics his senior year. Then there is the college stuff (plus having had multiple injuries or ailments every year - some of it non-football related like the migraines such as a sinus infection which kept him out of two games) and testing positive for pot at the combine.

His track record is a little more extensive than that. He was twice suspended on his HS football team and then got into a fight in a basketball game which resulted in his being banned from further HS athletics his senior year. Then there is the college stuff (plus having had multiple injuries or ailments every year - some of it non-football related like the migraines such as a sinus infection which kept him out of two games) and testing positive for pot at the combine.

Maybe Harvins broken the cycle. (Grown up) He hasn't had any discipline problems in the NFL.

We're talking about the 32nd pick here, not a top 10 pick. The 32nd pick stands a greater chance of busting than Harvin who hasn't gotten in trouble in his 3 yrs in the NFL does. IMHO

Speaking of top 10 picks, what's OkOye up to these days Rick?

Dudes been out of highschool for quite a while now, and as I said, i'm not aware of any issues in the nfl. Dont get me wrong, im not gonna tell anyone he's a choirboy. But hes got loads more talent then any wr we have not named andre. Instant upgrade. Unfortunately, I understand the Texans brass is far to conservative to make this kinda move. Thats a shame cause with decent qb play he might make a probowl or 2.

The texans have always built around the draft to get young cheap players...Harvin is still both.

Hadn't heard of those HS incidents. You're right that it's a full fledge pattern alright. Character concerns are a little more extensive than I previously gauged. I understand the pessimism on his potential contributions to this team when all of that is considered.

I'd give up maybe a 2nd rounder for Harvin though. Mainly because the Texans should be in a win now mode. Put another strong receiving threat on this offense with a healthy Schaub come playoff time, and that's pretty dangerous to face when our defense will be holding teams to low scores. We could probably hold Harvin for about 3 yrs and get some good production out of him while his legs are still really good. He'd be a really nice weapon to utilize all through the middle of the field with all of our other options commanding attention. If AJ goes down again, we're looking at Walter and a bunch of rookies and inexperienced young guys that are still drying to develop as our WR core. There is a good chance that Yates could be throwing to those young guys to if that were to happen.

I was merely filling in some background material. I do think it is enough to eliminate the discussion of 1st or 2nd round picks if the Vikings would even trade.

I was merely filling in some background material. I do think it is enough to eliminate the discussion of 1st or 2nd round picks if the Vikings would even trade.

Was good info I didnt know about. Our 2nd round pick should be late(!)...Harvin would be a #1 wideout on most teams. Id make the trade and not look back.

Was good info I didnt know about. Our 2nd round pick should be late(!)...Harvin would be a #1 wideout on most teams. Id make the trade and not look back.

I wouldn't classify him as that. He isn't a true #1 to me. He is more of a guy who could really fit well on a team that has a true #1 wideout that commands a lot of attention. Harvin can get open in small spaces and get nice yards after the catch. I don't see him ever being a guy that could carry your receiving core. That's why I said earlier that the Texans, Saints, Lions, and Packers would all be very nice fits for him.

I wouldn't classify him as that. He isn't a true #1 to me. He is more of a guy who could really fit well on a team that has a true #1 wideout that commands a lot of attention. Harvin can get open in small spaces and get nice yards after the catch. I don't see him ever being a guy that could carry your receiving core. That's why I said earlier that the Texans, Saints, Lions, and Packers would all be very nice fits for him.

87 receptions last year 6 tds
354 rushing yards
caught 73% of passes thrown his way (outstanding rate)
Legit return man
threat to score from anywhere on the field
cheap
young

He did it with a rookie qb. You should think of him as a #1 because he IS.

GP, unless you're completely drug free which includes alcohol, I don't think you are in any position to bash the idea of why someone wants or needs to smoke weed in some form. It's less dangerous than drugs like alcohol and tobacco which rake in Billions every year and does help many people deal with chronic illnesses and pain. It's not just some excuse that everyone uses just so they can catch a buzz. The only reason why it's illegal from the NFL's perspective is because it's illegal in the majority of states and cities in this country which is a pretty big government interference on people's casual lives. It's really not that different than if the government decided that salt was illegal due to the sodium in it or something. How long would it take for the NFL to ban players from eating food with salt after that since it's illegal? I don't think that fighting the idea of weed smoke or hemp products is a fair battle here.

I do understand where you're coming from as far as the suspension issues though if he were to get caught with a dirty urine test again. That does have to be considered. However, waving off any criticism for the NFL for it's practices that mimic the government's abuse of authority is not a productive idea to support.

Well, we can't use examples of how this relates to "what if salt is made to be illegal???" because what we have NOW is that WEED is illegal in the NFL right here and now. Let's save the "what if" for another day.

Seriously, the debate should end right there...unless this (once again) gets made into me being a Just Say Nope To Dope all-the-time-every-day-in-every-way sort of guy. Which I'm not. Although I don't use, I don't give a rip if others do.

Again, I could care less if people feel the need for WEED. I don't want my Texans to smoke it...I don't want them getting busted and getting Roger Goodell on their asses for it. Roger don't play. He is mean about substance problems, and right here and now the NFL is saying players better say Nope To Dope.

However, if things don't go well in November...I might be in the market for some grass. Now this thread is going to completely derail. My bad. LOL.

Well, we can't use examples of how this relates to "what if salt is made to be illegal???" because what we have NOW is that WEED is illegal in the NFL right here and now. Let's save the "what if" for another day.

Seriously, the debate should end right there...unless this (once again) gets made into me being a Just Say Nope To Dope all-the-time-every-day-in-every-way sort of guy. Which I'm not. Although I don't use, I don't give a rip if others do.

Again, I could care less if people feel the need for WEED. I don't want my Texans to smoke it...I don't want them getting busted and getting Roger Goodell on their asses for it. Roger don't play. He is mean about substance problems, and right here and now the NFL is saying players better say Nope To Dope.

However, if things don't go well in November...I might be in the market for some grass. Now this thread is going to completely derail. My bad. LOL.

You seem to totally miss the point.

It isn't illegal.

If you play by the rules, have the right requirements, and get the proper permissions, it's totally legal to smoke pot.

You won't get busted. Goodell can come to your house and you can toke up in front of him and he won't get in your ass because he's already given permission.

It's exactly the same thing as Hartmann taking Ritalin. As long as he gets permission to take it, he's fine. If he doesn't get permission, if he doesn't follow the rules, then he gets suspended.

If pot is medically prescribed and you notify the NFL that it's been prescribed, you can smoke it.

WRs and QBs win championships in the modern NFL, so I would be all for it. Look at all the outside weapons the last three champs have had.

The Texans have an awesome young defense and a bell-cow RB, but the WRs are an aging AJ, a mediocre KW, and a few unknowns like Posey.

Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.

"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.

"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.

According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.

Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.

Well, that sure takes the fun outta getting well, now doesn't it? :kitten:

Back