Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pep Hamilton's "No Coast System" Offense

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Its an absolute miracle that Rashawn Slater turned into a pro-bowl LT as a rookie with his 33” arms 😂 from Sugar Land Texas.
He’d be the first OT to do so since 2017 if this article is correct.

There were six tackles selected to the Pro Bowl for the 2020 season. The shortest arms of them are on Terron Armstead, whose arms are 34 inches. You have to go back to the 2017 Pro Bowl to find an OT with shorter arms, Joe Staley with his 33 1/2” arms. In 2016 Jason Peters made the Pro Bowl. He has the shortest arms of a ProBowler going back six seasons. Peters arms are listed as 33 1/8 inches. So we are getting closer to arms that are as short as Jenkins’ arms.”

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
From this article. Average arm length for offensive tackles on Andy Reid’s teams has been 34 1/4”.

“"There's always going to be exceptions," Mora said. "Height exceptions, weight exceptions, speed exceptions, strength exceptions. There are going to be exceptions, but if you start building your team through exceptions, then you become a poor team very, very quick. So you've got to be careful how often you drop your standards. If you do drop your standards, then that player better have other traits so redeeming that there's no doubt he can overcome the exception."”

beerlover

Hall of Fame
He’d be the first OT to do so since 2017 if this article is correct.

There were six tackles selected to the Pro Bowl for the 2020 season. The shortest arms of them are on Terron Armstead, whose arms are 34 inches. You have to go back to the 2017 Pro Bowl to find an OT with shorter arms, Joe Staley with his 33 1/2” arms. In 2016 Jason Peters made the Pro Bowl. He has the shortest arms of a ProBowler going back six seasons. Peters arms are listed as 33 1/8 inches. So we are getting closer to arms that are as short as Jenkins’ arms.”
Slater is the very definition of what a franchise tackle should play like. There isn’t a better tackle in the NFL and he hasn’t even played his second season. Which means arm length means squat, and if that’s your all important buzz kill for tackle position you miss and miss badly.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Slater is the very definition of what a franchise tackle should play like. There isn’t a better tackle in the NFL and he hasn’t even played his second season. Which means arm length means squat, and if that’s your all important buzz kill for tackle position you miss and miss badly.
You are reading what you want to read… Slater is an exception. He has other outstanding traits that make him an exception. Just like Jason Peters did.

But as the quote in previous post states, “If you build your team through exceptions then you become a poor team quick.”

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I'm pretty sure Joe Thomas had 32" arms. That said, I'm a proponent arm length also. Question I've asked myself before .... " take a great D lineman and send him up against a good tackle, whom he does not know. After that play, can he tell you whether the tackle had 33" or 34" arms ? I don't know .... but I doubt it !

beerlover

Hall of Fame
You are reading what you want to read… Slater is an exception. He has other outstanding traits that make him an exception. Just like Jason Peters did.

But as the quote in previous post states, “If you build your team through exceptions then you become a poor team quick.”
You draft on traits that matter.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Heard this yesterday and really sounds good. A different playbook. Also comments how complicated the previous system was for the oline and the new playbook simplifies the blocking assignments.

There's been comments in other threads whether the poor line play was the players or the coaching. It now seems a large part of the poor play has been on coaching. They mentioned that it hasn't been only the Texans, it seems no club which has tried to run this NE blocking scheme has been sucessful.

KarlK

Waterboy
Passing on first down? Being committed to the deep pass rather than the short game? A power run game rather than the outside zbs? Yes, these are all distinctions in a type of offense a team can run.
Distinctions that a zillion other OC have implemented already.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Does identifying the MIKE have any significance in run plays?
OK, good question. In OB's offense, the QB had responsibility in calling the Oline's blocking. Supposedly, our new offense simplifies the blocking. QB's have usually been able to audible, so Mills could do that. But I'm thinking Britt will be calling the Oline blocking if that is to be done. One of the advantages of having him start.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Metchie is a very intriguing prospect who should be similar to early version of Brandon Cooks. Fluid, quick in & out of his breaks with very good hands. Gotta be careful not to rush him back too soon even though Mills really needs him.

Im not out on Nico but needs to be utilized as X receiver. Big target, downfield threat and cross field slants to soften up box. Reminds me, as a big WR prospect, of Jaelen Strong. More physical and mentally tougher, I hope 🤞

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Im not out on Nico but needs to be utilized as X receiver. Big target, downfield threat and cross field slants to soften up box.
I’d be thrilled to see the Texans start attacking the middle of the field. I know without a run game it’s difficult to create space in the middle of the field. But we need to find a way to attack it even if the run game is not there

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’d be thrilled to see the Texans start attacking the middle of the field. I know without a run game it’s difficult to create space in the middle of the field. But we need to find a way to attack it even if the run game is not there
They need to draft a quality TE for this to happen. This will probably happen in Next yrs draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Last season we hit on a lot of those plays up the middle.
A great TE opens up everything for his QB.

Look at Kelce/Kittle as examples. They maybe better on offense because they added Green/Metchie if he's healthy and Pierce, but they won't become an elite offense until they find a TE that can both block at an acceptable level, plus stretch the seams of the defense in the pass game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A great TE opens up everything for his QB.

Look at Kelce/Kittle as examples. They maybe better on offense because they added Green/Metchie if he's healthy and Pierce, but they won't become an elite offense until they find a TE that can both block at an acceptable level, plus stretch the seams of the defense in the pass game.
For the most part I agree with that. But that's not what I'm talking about. Attacking the middle of the field has to be a mindset, like running the ball.

This is a team that was committed to the run even though they averaged less than 4ypc.

Similarly they need to attack the middle of the field without Travis Kelce.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
For the most part I agree with that. But that's not what I'm talking about. Attacking the middle of the field has to be a mindset, like running the ball.

This is a team that was committed to the run even though they averaged less than 4ypc.

Similarly they need to attack the middle of the field without Travis Kelce.
Agreed,, but trying too and being able too are two totally different things.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
But do you not see the plan laid out?

Create mismatches. Running with power.
Being efficient on 3rd downs. Early down completions and shots down field.

I mean what, are you one of those "How do you plan to accomplish that?" Kind of people huh?
Did he not see Mills look great the last part of the season? Has he not heard that minus the first day Mills was doing amazing and looked very much improved over last season. The QBs he listed are good but what's to say Mills is not

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Mills clearly isn’t a legitimate NFL QB, and it’s highly doubtful he ever will be. However, this is the worst display of offensive football I’ve seen since the Joe Pendry/Dom Capers days. In 10 games we have gone 3 and out on every opening drive. We are abysmal in the first half. There’s no imagination, no creativity, and it’s like the defense is in the huddle when the play is called. I’m truly hopeful that this coaching staff is replaced in the off season. I know there are significant roster issues but you can also see coaching issues on both sides of the ball. I didn’t expect us to win much this year but I was hopeful that we’d be “watchable”, but it’s been terrible overall. So frustrating

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I've heard posters say open up the offense, but what happens when the qb throws a pick 6 on his 2nd or 3rd throw of the game?
Nothing, a smart OC would’ve talked with him during the KO then sent him back out there to operate the original plan of attack. Pep knee-jerked into a hole that the team couldn’t get out of…….even if they had, the defense certainly would’ve ducked up that wet dream as well.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Mills clearly isn’t a legitimate NFL QB, and it’s highly doubtful he ever will be. However, this is the worst display of offensive football I’ve seen since the Joe Pendry/Dom Capers days. In 10 games we have gone 3 and out on every opening drive. We are abysmal in the first half. There’s no imagination, no creativity, and it’s like the defense is in the huddle when the play is called. I’m truly hopeful that this coaching staff is replaced in the off season. I know there are significant roster issues but you can also see coaching issues on both sides of the ball. I didn’t expect us to win much this year but I was hopeful that we’d be “watchable”, but it’s been terrible overall. So frustrating
This cannot be overstated. The Texans' offense played an entire half of football and gained ONE first down, -1 yards passing and 5 yards rushing. I'm not calling for Lovie to be fired, but he has to shake up this offense. I don't know if sitting Green until he's healthy or benching Mills or even taking play calling duties from Pep is the answer, but he has to do something or he will lose this team.

Regardless of talent level. This is unacceptable and he has to do more than stroke his beard on the sidelines.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
This cannot be overstated. The Texans' offense played an entire half of football and gained ONE first down, -1 yards passing and 5 yards rushing. I'm not calling for Lovie to be fired, but he has to shake up this offense. I don't know if sitting Green until he's healthy or benching Mills or even taking play calling duties from Pep is the answer, but he has to do something or he will lose this team.

Regardless of talent level. This is unacceptable and he has to do more than stroke his beard on the sidelines.
Lovie and Pep were both with the Texans last season. If the thought hasn’t even crossed their minds to maybe jump back into last seasons play book to help Mills and the offense out, then what else can you say about the staff? Stubborn to a fault would be my guess.