Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Peirce vs Singletary (You knew it was coming)

Who should finish the season as RB1?

• Piece

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Singletary

Votes: 27 87.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
DP has not been playing like he did last year. Both YPC and YPG are down. He gets the bulk of the carries but as an example he on averaged 2.7ypc on Sunday, his 20+ yard run was the only run that may have made his number higher. Meanwhile, when given more touches, Singletary has had some very nice games. His average on limited carries is 4.1ypc on 128 carries and 525 yards on the season.

I was listening to 610 earlier today and they mentioned that the team seems to run smoother with Singletary getting more carries. After thinking about it, the team looked balanced and made the defenses play more honest with a threat of the run compared to with DP getting the bulk of carries.

What is your opinion and why? I think for whatever reason DP isn't a great fit in the system we now run. As much as I like him, we need to replace him as starter.

And let Singletary get more carries to play out the year. The find a RB as a FA or in the draft that is familiar with the WCO. Let TC next year decide which RB starts, who is 2nd string and who may have to be let go or traded.

This seasons stats:

For whatever reason it's difficult for the Texans to find a RB. A playmaker.

I think we saw DP has the ability to be that special player. I could understand if the Texans believe Pierce can be that guy & want to give him every opportunity to be that guy.

At the same time, Singletary is playing better right now. Singletary would be treated as my #1 RB until Pierce unseats him.

& I'd always be looking for a RB until I've got two of them. So yeah, I'd probably draft a guy, probably wouldn't sign a FA to big money, & I definitely wouldn't "give up" on Pierce. He's only played 9 games in this system. I'd take him through another TC before I say he's not going to get it.

For whatever reason it's difficult for the Texans to find a RB. A playmaker.

I think we saw DP has the ability to be that special player. I could understand if the Texans believe Pierce can be that guy & want to give him every opportunity to be that guy.

At the same time, Singletary is playing better right now. Singletary would be treated as my #1 RB until Pierce unseats him.

& I'd always be looking for a RB until I've got two of them. So yeah, I'd probably draft a guy, probably wouldn't sign a FA to big money, & I definitely wouldn't "give up" on Pierce. He's only played 9 games in this system. I'd take him through another TC before I say he's not going to get it.
Singletary cant handle a full RB1 workload. I would trade Pierce for a 5th. I'm for spending a high draft pick to solve this issue.

Singletary 100%. Pierce does get yac sometimes but he’s not as elusive as Singletary. I’ve watched multiple games where Pierce runs directly into a lineman or defender instead of trying to find the hole and gain extra yardage. It’s the opposite for Singletary. I mean he was rb 1 with the bills at one point and he’s a better rb in all aspects. I don’t think some of the plays Singletary made could be replicated by Pierce

How do you know this? What's his injury history?

If he wants to prove he can be RB1, I'd give him the opportunity.

Keep in mind, we're crying because Pierce got 15 carries & Singletary got 8.
If he was a true RB 1 he would still be in Buffalo instead of Cook . Agreed about Singletary getting more carries than Pierce.

How do you know this? What's his injury history?

If he wants to prove he can be RB1, I'd give him the opportunity.

Keep in mind, we're crying because Pierce got 15 carries & Singletary got 8.

No, I'm saying according to the numbers. Singletary is out performing DP this season. And the stats show a more balanced attack when Singletary is the RB. The reason is that he keeps a defense honest because he can run. DP hasn't been doing well and the defense can be mostly pass with him at RB because he has not shown he can run very well this season. Go back and watch, CJ doesn't get hit as much with Singletary because the the defense has to worry about run and pass. He has taken most hits when DP starts...as the defense can pin it's ears back and rush. No fear of DP running

If he was a true RB 1 he would still be in Buffalo instead of Cook . Agreed about Singletary getting more carries than Pierce.

RB1 is an interesting term in today’s league. How many true RB1 bell cows are there? CMC and Henry obviously. But then its a matter of scheme and “riding the hot hand”. Look at Mostert in Miami. 9 year vet and 3rd in the league in rushing with 14 (!) rushing tds.

But would anyone say he’s a true RB1 outside of his system? He hadn’t been his entire career and the best performances by a Miami RB this season belong to rookie Achane (who has been injured much of the year).

I’d say Singletary and Cook are performing about the same level as “starter” for the Bills. Though this year’s Bills team is not nearly as strong as the ones Singletary was on.

RB1 is an interesting term in today’s league. How many true RB1 bell cows are there? CMC and Henry obviously. But then its a matter of scheme and “riding the hot hand”. Look at Mostert in Miami. 9 year vet and 3rd in the league in rushing with 14 (!) rushing tds.

But would anyone say he’s a true RB1 outside of his system? He hadn’t been his entire career and the best performances by a Miami RB this season belong to rookie Achane (who has been injured much of the year).

I’d say Singletary and Cook are performing about the same level as “starter” for the Bills. Though this year’s Bills team is not nearly as strong as the ones Singletary was on.
Mostert has always been a really good RB. This is the first year he's been healthy.

What I don't understand, most times a shanny/Kubiak tree coach normally picks their rb. As we know, just as the Reggie Bush saga, every rb isn't savvy enough to run their system. Gibbs used to coach not only the oline, but the rbs. When they signed Singletary, that told me they believe he was a fit for this scheme. Pierce is a battering ram who runs to punish vs pressing the heels and either cut back or stay outside. This season will be raggedy in terms of being consistent running the ball. People also forget that it took a couple of year under Kubiak. The good news is there are some backs in cfb who could be good in this system that you don't have to spend a high pick on and there are some vets like Henry, Dalvin Cook, AJ Dillon,Jones who wouldn't cost much and fit the system. They have options next season

TreVeyon Henderson, is someone I’m interested in knowing more about, think he would fit scheme, is former teammate of CJ Stroud at Ohio State. I’ve seen him dominate and take over games, just his injury history that’s concerning. Would need CnD’s medical opinion to use 3rd rd. selection, but if given green light heck yeah 👍

Singletary 100%. Pierce does get yac sometimes but he’s not as elusive as Singletary. I’ve watched multiple games where Pierce runs directly into a lineman or defender instead of trying to find the hole and gain extra yardage. It’s the opposite for Singletary. I mean he was rb 1 with the bills at one point and he’s a better rb in all aspects. I don’t think some of the plays Singletary made could be replicated by Pierce
Singletary's biggest weakness is in pass protection. He's just not big enough to do well in that area.

TreVeyon Henderson, is someone I’m interested in knowing more about, think he would fit scheme, is former teammate of CJ Stroud at Ohio State. I’ve seen him dominate and take over games, just his injury history that’s concerning. Would need CnD’s medical opinion to use 3rd rd. selection, but if given green light heck yeah 👍

Henderson might be the top rated RB in the draft, probably goes in the top 50 picks if all the health stuff checks out.

If the question is Singletary or Pierce, then the answer for now is yes. It's a committee.

As it stands now, even with these two guys, they're also trying to work Boone and Ogunbowale in as well as the WRs.

I don't think there's a long term RB answer on this team right now. We're just making do with what we have.

If the question is Singletary or Pierce, then the answer for now is yes. It's a committee.

As it stands now, even with these two guys, they're also trying to work Boone and Ogunbowale in as well as the WRs.

I don't think there's a long term RB answer on this team right now. We're just making do with what we have.
Exactly, Caserio needs to address this in the off-season.

They put in DP, thinking he can hold up better in pass pro imo. And although Lee is probably right in some respects, I've witnessed Devon get run over more than once. I think this is the root cause of why they continue to try to cram the round peg into the square hole.

For my money, I'm starting Mike Boone, and Devin is my #2. I think he is as good as Devin running the rock, and can stand up in pass pro like DP. But there's obviously something I'm missing as the last couple games, he's not even active. I think it's a miscalculation.

For my money, I'm starting Mike Boone, and Devin is my #2. I think he is as good as Devin running the rock, and can stand up in pass pro like DP. But there's obviously something I'm missing as the last couple games, he's not even active. I think it's a miscalculation.
I think they value Ogunbowale's contribution on ST more than Boone's and don't see that much difference in RB3 value. Boone isn't doing KR anymore

No, I'm saying according to the numbers. Singletary is out performing DP this season. And the stats show a more balanced attack when Singletary is the RB. The reason is that he keeps a defense honest because he can run. DP hasn't been doing well and the defense can be mostly pass with him at RB because he has not shown he can run very well this season. Go back and watch, CJ doesn't get hit as much with Singletary because the the defense has to worry about run and pass. He has taken most hits when DP starts...as the defense can pin it's ears back and rush. No fear of DP running
Singletary had 80 snaps; Pierce only 37 in the last two games

The sample size is still too small to ascertain much.

Singletary certainly has more horizontal quickness than DP; that's for sure.

The Oline's constant changes do not help Pierce's style as he needs more of a "hole" than Singletary.

In the last game, Singletary got the start and he went 4 for 5 yards on the first two drives.

The Texans had to punt on the first drive.

They settled for a FG on the second drive, Singletary was 2 for Naught.

Pierce came in and the Texans scored a TD on a run by Pierce.

Overall, Singletary was in there a little more than Pierce (31 snaps vs. 26)

The Texans got 2 FGs with Singletary in the game.

They got 2 TDs and a FG with Pierce in there.

I think they value Ogunbowale's contribution on ST more than Boone's and don't see that much difference in RB3 value. Boone isn't doing KR anymore

I get it...but that's if you only value Dare vs. Mike in relationship to ST. My evaluation is much different than Bobby's. I would start Boone. So, the competition I have in mind is Boone vs. DP not Boone vs. Dare for which of the scrubs is going to be active. I have a severe difference of opinion on the value of Boone. He's my starter until we can upgrade. The Texans differ quite dramatically.

I get it...but that's if you only value Dare vs. Mike in relationship to ST. My evaluation is much different than Bobby's. I would start Boone. So, the competition I have in mind is Boone vs. DP not Boone vs. Dare for which of the scrubs is going to be active. I have a severe difference of opinion on the value of Boone. He's my starter until we can upgrade. The Texans differ quite dramatically.
I was answering your question about what the Texans were thinking

We win its 8&5, Jags lose 8&5, Colts lose 7&6. I'm guessing that the Jags stay in first because they have beaten the Colts. Right? But, we would move into the wildcard slot right?

We win its 8&5, Jags lose 8&5, Colts lose 7&6. I'm guessing that the Jags stay in first because they have beaten the Colts. Right? But, we would move into the wildcard slot right?
My understanding is, to beat the odds of winning a tie with Jags we need astronomical turn of events for that to happen.

The more likely scenario is just winning our games and hoping the Jags dont do the same.

I continue to bring up undefeated University of Washington RB Dillon Johnson and no one seems to research. Perfect for any system and probably available round 4 though we'd probably have to trade up. I don't see him returning to school although that's what article seemingly is about.

He looks good but, I like some other RBs more and...earlier than 4th round. Minus a DT, I think it is the biggest need. Then either WR or DB, BPA type thing.

Division record!! The Jags would still be ahead because of a better division record than the Texans.

Back