Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

On the Sauce Mock Draft

Deion & Darrell where both under 6 ft tall, Sanders like 182 soaking wet, Revis much thicker 204. Deion ran sub 4.3 Revis 4.38. Ahmad Gardner (you like that better?) ran 4.41 6’3” 194. Different cats, different CB’s, all three have great feet and reaction time all three never quit on a play. But don’t believe me, wait for it then let’s talk.

Lol. I dont hate sauce, just dont think he’s head & shoulders that much better than Booth or Stingley for that matter. He’s being overrated tremendously b/c he has a cool nickname. Someone will reach for him in The top 5-10 and someone will be tremendously disappointed when he fails to live up to his projected “shutdown” status. I’ve only seen 2 of those….legitimately in my 30 years watching this game…Deion and Revis..lotta time and prospects between those 2.

Champ and Darrell Green were pretty good too.

My personal favorite is Jalen Ramsey. We got to see him and Hopkins go head to head in person. He was then traded to the Rams and Staley refined his tools even more and now has his Super Bowl. If Stingley didn’t have that damn lasfranc foot issue he would be very comparable to him. But never seen speed/acceleration on this large of frame and wingspan than Sauce. It’s a hard comp, because there’s never been one like him. In this video, Broshmo claims it’s Bryon Maxwell before the Miami trade. Which brings up a critical factor for any draft prospect future, that is being fortunate to be drafted into the perfect situation.

My personal favorite is Jalen Ramsey. We got to see him and Hopkins go head to head in person. He was then traded to the Rams and Staley refined his tools even more and now has his Super Bowl. If Stingley didn’t have that damn lasfranc foot issue he would be very comparable to him. But never seen speed/acceleration on this large of frame and wingspan than Sauce. It’s a hard comp, because there’s never been one like him. In this video, Broshmo claims it’s Bryon Maxwell before the Miami trade. Which brings up a critical factor for any draft prospect future, that is being fortunate to be drafted into the perfect situation.

Just watched some game film of Byron Maxwell both with Seahawks and Eagles, he is slow in comparison. Lot of hand action, checking, tugging not holding just more competing for position, not much in the way of hops, no 2nd gear, good effort and recognition, gets his head turned in time to generally locate the ball. A solid CB2, not a true CB2. Lol

I would be all over Stingley at #3 without the Lisfranc. He's one of the best CB's to come out in a long time. I like Sauce alot too and have Booth talentwise rated just behind Sauce. If I needed a CB say like the NYG and Sauce was gone I wouldn't have a problem picking Booth at #7.

Deion & Darrell where both under 6 ft tall, Sanders like 182 soaking wet, Revis much thicker 204. Deion ran sub 4.3 Revis 4.38. Ahmad Gardner (you like that better?) ran 4.41 6’3” 194. Different cats, different CB’s, all three have great feet and reaction time all three never quit on a play. But don’t believe me, wait for it then let’s talk.

The thing you’re really missing is that deion and Revis were comfy playing off guys with minimal contact and were scheme independent & just as good regardless of that & who they played. Didnt need to put their hands on the WR to stay with them. They were confident in their ability to close the gap & would bait qb’s into throwing at them & then with their superior ball skills close & make them pay. Thats why they were truly shutdown. Green, Bailey, Peterson, Sherman…Ramsey…None of the guys mentioned are of Revis and Deion’s ilk at the position…which is why its dubious Gardner is mentioned as a potential shutdown guy.

Alot of other guys…..they might’ve had decent runs & were pretty good but were more scheme & talent around them dependent to really shine. Ramsey was pretty good in jax…but Nuk used to eat his lunch Routinely whenever the talent on each respective teams was remotely close. Now b/c he went to the Rams and got teamed up with all that talent in LA, he’s considered shutdown? He‘s hella overrated and his play in the AFCCG and SB showed that.

Your not factoring in rule changes to the game since those players where able to play off more. That would never fly with all the elite, quick receivers in todays NFL.
That’s why teams converted to two high safeties. Switching out various zone schemes, elite speed with longer players who are position-less then able to fit and cover all windows.

Last edited:
This is not my opinion but a league source, NFL executive. But believe it to be valid, one shared by the Texans war room via “the Athletic” -

“I think (Derek) Stingley was a top-three pick on most boards,” an exec said. “He is super freaky, fluid. He could be the best corner prospect to come out since Stephon Gilmore. He has the size, the length, the movement, the ball skills. Just as a pure prospect, he checks every box, and is more fluid than Jalen Ramsey was. I like ‘Sauce’ Gardner a lot, but I thought Stingley has a different level of potential, like Hall of Fame-type potential.”

Only hit on one pick (3rd edition W/O the Sauce Mock).

#37) Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor 5-11, 198

The way this breaks down (addressing priority needs) and rising up draft boards, better odds of availability RB Zamir White. This is how mocks evolve as we get closer to draft day, projections firm up. Same time Faalele stock has dropped, probably 4th rd.

Also had Zion Johnson instead of Green @ #13 (2nd edition W/Sauce Mock Draft) but graded very close and same positions.

Round One Pick #13). Zion Johnson, OL, Boston College, 6-3 316 arm length 34" 10 5/8" hands
#1 IOL in the 2022 Draft. Four, some say he could play five positions. Very polished, quick/strong in both pass pro and run blocking.
Wyatt has dropped and Zion has risen. With so many question marks on this offensive line, why not select the most versatile and see where Warhop goes with him?

For all the Sauce talk and his own spicy self promotion @ the end of day, name on back of jersey is Gardner. Fluidity, length and juice are his traits. Processing the NFL and becoming elite Gardner in secondary/teammate the goal.

Dog days of summer, when bored, think to next season and watch film.

Complaints abound that Sauce is too handsy, heard it over and over. Well so do a lot of the great ones. Getting ready for Charger season and watching me some JC Jackson. Noticed similarities and physical nature of #1 CB, style and what is allowed. Sauce is just longer with more fluid hips.

Last edited:
Been awhile. First off, Happy Holidays, everyone here on TexanTalk 🎄

First game, televised nationally, we can see the Jets and Ahmad Sauce Gardner. Nearly one year later from Last years mock. Great match-up with playoff implications. #1 overall pick Trevor Lawerence vs #2 overall pick Zach Wilson (who has been effectively replaced by Mike White, coached by Bill O’Brian in 2017 Senior Bowl [mvp] but unable to go because of rib injury).

Personally, given thread, it’s all about the Sauce. We’ll see, together the fruits of their labor. Can’t wait :wesmantexanfan:

Sauce is getting frustrated with his ability to impact games. I would challenge Sahla to implement him in more hybrid, money role, audible into safety coverage as ball hawk. Time to unleach the Kraken!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Sauce is getting frustrated with his ability to impact games. I would challenge Sahla to implement him in more hybrid, money role, audible into safety coverage as ball hawk. Time to unleach the Kraken!
His shyness about tackling may hamper that

lawrence and the jags made some plays on him last night…more importantly Saleh’s defense has been getting exposed these last 4-5 few weeks. Teams have been able to get to the edges in the run game, and qb’s have been getting the ball out quickly which has nullified their pass rush and thereby taken the secondary out of the scheme…except when they’re forced to come up in run support.

lawrence and the jags made some plays on him last night…more importantly Saleh’s defense has been getting exposed these last 4-5 few weeks. Teams have been able to get to the edges in the run game, and qb’s have been getting the ball out quickly which has nullified their pass rush and thereby taken the secondary out of the scheme…except when they’re forced to come up in run support.
Doug Pederson has really been the difference maker for the Jaguars franchise. Once again, not targeting Sauce and virtually removing him from any possibility to make a play on the ball. They used TE (Evan Engram) in masterful show of how to utilize position to attack gaps and create mismatches. Two plays, caught Sauce on inside slants, where angle prevented him from gaining position, across his face to opposite side of field. Honestly feel the Jacksonville Jaquar's are best team in AFC South and could upset whoever they face in the playoffs. Be nice if Texans could follow a similar path. Get our QB and build around him. OF course they spent a ton of money in free agency, but each has a specific purpose and layers in with all the young talent drafted over years.

Exactly! I haven't paid much attention to the Jags and just notice the Lawrence's turnaround with Pederson.

View attachment 11290

Makes you wonder how much better Mills would be with Pederson as HC. Highly unlikely he’d have the season Lawrence is enjoying. But all of Lawrence’s top targets (Kirk, Jones and Engram) were acquired this offseason in FA. Etienne returning from injury last season helped as well. But the players added were not elite players like say, Tyreek Hill for Tua to play with… but they do fit what Pederson is asking them to do.

Kirk was an overpay though he is playing well.

Jones a value hit 3 year 24 million deal enjoying a career year.

And Engram is “proving it” on a 1 year 9 million deal.

Back