Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Wild Card Round Playoff Game-Day Thread** Colts at Texans, Saturday Jan 5, 2019!!

TejasTom

All Pro
Match up:

Venue:
Saturday, Jan 5, 2019 • 3:35 PM CT • NRG Stadium (71,795) • Houston, Texas

Radio:
SportsRadio610 (610 AM, 100.3 FM)
Marc Vandermeer Play-By-Play, Andre Ware Color Analyst, John Harris Sideline

TV: ESPN, ABC Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, Booger McFarland

Streaming: DirecTV Now, Hulu with Live TV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. You can also live stream the games through the ABC app if you log in with your cable TV credentials or with the Yahoo Sports app on IOS / Android.

Preview:

Flip Card:
PDF

Officiating Crew: Bill Vinovich
Texans are 8-6 with Vinovich
Colts are 4-5 with Vinovich
Home teams are 5-2 in playoff games Vinovich referees

Uniform Combination: Deep Steel Blue Jerseys/Liberty White Pants

Weather: 66° F Clear Full Weather: Link

Roof: Game Time Decision

Know where you are parking (Put your color lot in Waze)

Parking Information
Platinum Lot:
10:30AM
Parking Lots: 11:30AM
Pedestrian Gates: 12:00PM

Gate Information
Bud Light Plaza:
1:00PM
Chevron Kids Corner: 1:00PM
BULLevard presented by Academy Sports + Outdoors: 1:00PM
Verizon East & West Entrances: 1:30PM
All Other Gates: 2:00PM

Flag Holders: Houston Texans Fan Club Members
National Anthem: Clay Walker
Halftime: Flo Rida

Go Texans!

#BeatTheColts

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Good news Texan fans. I'll be at the game tomorrow, and the Texans have never lost a playoff game in my presence. 3-0 lifetime. I'm not saying the Texans are a lock, but...they're a lock.

Tailgating in the bubble with the cheerleaders eating Churrascos. So hyped, I can't sleep.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Roof: Game Time Decision
It will be within the 50-80 temperature range. No rain. But, there's no chance the roof will be open.

Halftime: Flo Rida
I don't know what this is. But with a name like that, it can't be good.

Streaming: DirecTV Now, Hulu with Live TV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. You can also live stream the games through the CBS app if you log in with your cable TV credentials or with the Yahoo Sports app on IOS / Android.
Also the NFL app with Verizon, right?

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
TV: ESPN, ABC Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, Booger McFarland

Streaming: DirecTV Now, Hulu with Live TV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. You can also live stream the games through the CBS app if you log in with your cable TV credentials or with the Yahoo Sports app on IOS / Android.
The CBS app will get an ABC game?

eriadoc

Texan-American
If they lose, they lose. The Colts are a good team. But if they lose because a defense that is chock full of good players plays like crap, I'll be annoyed.

Think about this - when the offensive line is bad, you expect it, and you know what the fix is. When the defense is the worst red zone defense in the league, who do you replace? That stalwart front seven? What's so stalwart about them anyway?

I think they'll win. Just annoyed and worried about the defense

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If they lose, they lose. The Colts are a good team. But if they lose because a defense that is chock full of good players plays like crap, I'll be annoyed.

Think about this - when the offensive line is bad, you expect it, and you know what the fix is. When the defense is the worst red zone defense in the league, who do you replace? That stalwart front seven? What's so stalwart about them anyway?

I think they'll win. Just annoyed and worried about the defense
Yep, RAC has to show his genius today

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
When the defense is the worst red zone defense in the league, who do you replace? That stalwart front seven? What's so stalwart about them anyway?
The worst? I don't have those stats in front of me, but I am looking at stats that show the Texans are 4th in points against. Hard to figure that out. And the defense was 1st in rushing average (3.4) and 3rd in yards and rushing TDs allowed. 4th in forced turnovers, as well. That's pretty stalwart.

Edit: Here are stats showing the Texans are 29th in RZ scoring percentage allowed. But, here are stats showing the defense is 2nd in allowing opponents inside the RZ and 1st at home. They rarely allow RZ attempts, but when they do, the opponents take advantage. I'm not sure what to make of that, other than the defense needs to keep the Colts out of the RZ.

Last edited:

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Win or go home. This is it. The Texans defense is going to have to step up and play their best game today. Watson is going to have to bring it and play with that edge that took to him to and helped him win a national title against Alabama.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I guess I'll take your word for that. Though as an old white guy, "pretty good hip-hop in the Pitbull style" is akin to saying "pretty good hemorrhoids in the flaring style."
:spit:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The worst? I don't have those stats in front of me, but I am looking at stats that show the Texans are 4th in points against. Hard to figure that out. And the defense was 1st in rushing average (3.4) and 3rd in yards and rushing TDs allowed. 4th in forced turnovers, as well. That's pretty stalwart.

Edit: Here are stats showing the Texans are 29th in RZ scoring percentage allowed. But, here are stats showing the defense is 2nd in allowing opponents inside the RZ and 1st at home. They rarely allow RZ attempts, but when they do, the opponents take advantage. I'm not sure what to make of that, other than the defense needs to keep the Colts out of the RZ.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2019-01-05

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Interesting note...

Since week 7, the Colts are 9-1, Texans 8-2

Colts loss was a shutout by the Jags, Texans to Eagles & Colts... two playoff teams

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The front seven rush can't seem do get the job done, making everything more difficult.
Romeo Crennel’s scheme is simple, flexible and successful

Jerome Solomon , Houston Chronicle Jan. 4, 2019 Updated: Jan. 4, 2019 9:14 p.m.
From your link

Reading between the lines, Crennel seems to indicate the Texans’ issues against Hilton weren’t about scheme as much as execution.

“One of the things we have to do is we have to focus more on the job that we have to do the way we want it done to prevent him from having the opportunity to make some of the plays he makes,” Crennel said. “But he is a good football player, so he’s is going to make some plays. We have to hold those plays down and not let him have too many of them.”

bigmck

Rookie
Interesting note...

Since week 7, the Colts are 9-1, Texans 8-2

Colts loss was a shutout by the Jags, Texans to Eagles & Colts... two playoff teams
Does anyone know how many of the Colts 9 Wins were against quality teams?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Playoff Game on AFN 1 at 2230....even though we all feel like crap, we're going to get out of the house later and go to the Base Theater for the 2030 movie. Just got to get out of the house before the Playoff Game. Go Texans!

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

This is truly puzzling. We often call this a bend but don't break defense but these stats show it to be a rarely bend but likely to break affair.