Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Titans at Texans, Sunday Oct 1, 2017!!

And yet everyone's gonna be like "oh see we just needed a quarterback to see O'Brien's offense!" as if this entire thing just existed and needed to be unlocked.

Nah. It's more than likely that O'Brien's vaunted delicate genius offensive system had to be changed to fit Watson.
Better late than never, I guess.
This is no longer the Patriots south.
I hope (and it seems) O' Brien can forge his own identity with Watson and this running game.

When we have both, plus this defense, I think the Texams can and should become a real contender.

patrick

✔@PatDStat

Watson clearly likes the way he is being pushed by OB. Clearly both are benefiting from the growing relationship.

1:51 PM - Oct 1, 2017

patrick

✔@PatDStat

Watson said he is learning how OB thinks and OB is doing the same.

1:49 PM - Oct 1, 2017

patrick

✔@PatDStat

Watson said that his relationship with OB is growing. Said plenty of one-on-one time in the film room learning from each other. #Texans.

1:48 PM - Oct 1, 2017

patrick

✔@PatDStat

“He was always around and never took a day off.” Deshaun Watson on Will Fuller while being injured. #Texans

1:47 PM - Oct 1, 2017

Not a turtle win today.... 57 points... turtle... ?

Turtling doesn't have to happen only in low scoring games. You don't have to always turtle. Turtling is simply the ability to play conservatively/defensively to preserve the lead.

Most fun I had a Houston pro football game since the Warren Moon Run n Shoot Oilers that I grew up with and loved with all my heart. Great victory, great game plan and great play. I want no one's head except for Rick Smith :)

watching the game it looks like o'brien is not as limited in terms of what he can do with watson vs. osweiler.

he really opened up the playbook. he was calling plays i didn't even know they had. qb option? wtf.

o'brien couldn't really do anything with osweiler because osweiler had no talent. he wasn't good at........ anything?
'
watson is more athletic, more accurate, smarter, more poised, more elusive, etc.

it's gonnabe fun to see all the things they can do with him.

th
=
bill_obrien_usatsi_jlc.jpg

I wonder if McNair and Smith came down hard on O'Brien, basically forcing him to change his "system." I don't really pay attention to post-game or midweek noise but I don't recall McNair really chiming in like he did after this one.

Watson's 3rd start and we set a record for most points for the Texans. Just remember he's still a rookie so we have to be level headed about expectations. I'm going to be conservative and predict 5 straight Super Bowl wins.

& Savage still hasn't thrown a regular season TD. Jd practically gifted him a TD & we end up losing yards.

I think this is the key. Some one finally understands WTF O'Brien has been saying.

OK, we Nay Sayers were admittedly wrong about Watson. And yeah, it looks like he and OB understand one another. But I ain't to the point yet where I'm saying I like OB as the OC. I'm not ready for that yet, that's still like drinking poison to me. LOL

Vinnie Ronca @PFF_Vinnie
#Texans top offensive grades vs TEN:

DeAndre Hopkins-92.2
Deshaun Watson-87.0
Lamar Miller-76.9
Bruce Ellington-73.6
Julien Davenport-73.3

5:24 PM - Oct 1, 2017

Vinnie Ronca @PFF_Vinnie
Deshaun Watson was accurate on 78.1% of his passes vs the Titans

5:41 PM - Oct 1, 2017

TOP 5 GRADES:
  • WR DeAndre Hopkins, 92.2 overall grade
  • S Andre Hal, 87.9 overall grade
  • QB Deshaun Watson, 87.0 overall grade
  • S Marcus Gilchrist, 80.5 overall grade
  • DI D.J. Reader, 79.9 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB DESHAUN WATSON, 87.0 OVERALL GRADE

With all rookie quarterbacks, there is a learning curve and history typically tells us when a rookie quarterback goes up against a Dick LeBeau defense, they stuggle mightly. However, Watson was able to take the Titans defense apart, going up and down field at will. He only threw one turnover worthy throw and had no other dangerous throw while able to fit the ball into small windows. He connected for three touchdowns when kept clean from pressure.

WR DEANDRE HOPKINS, 92.2 OVERALL GRADE
Any quarterback with DeAndre Hopkins should be able to take advantage of most secondaries, Hopkins caught a pass against five different defenders and one of the two incompletions thrown his way was a poor pass by Watson that didnt even give him a chance to make a play on the ball. He finished the game with a 96.6 passer rating when targeted.

S ANDRE HAL, 87.9 OVERALL GRADE
With the woes of the Titans offense, the biggest benifcator was safety Andre Hal, as he was targeted four times allowing just one catch. He hauled in two interceptions and saw just a paltry 9.4 passer rating when targeted.

EDGE JADEVEON CLOWNEY, 80.2 PASS-RUSH GRADE
While the Titans offense struggled to move the ball, the Texans defensive front seven failed to really establish themseleves as a pass-rushing force. Clowney was the best pass-rusher of the bunch due to a sack and bating a pass down at the line of scrimmage.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-houston-texans-57-tennessee-titans-14

Just getting home. Honestly, I feel like the Titans must feel right now. I was at NRG. I just experienced that, but honestly don't know what just happened.

One minute I'm getting ready to enjoy a day of football between two evenly matched teams, the next I'm looking at a blow out.

I mean it just happened.

I'm going to have to watch this game again. So I can figure out what happened.

First of let me just say I was dead wrong......... I was not sold on Watson ..... I wanted him to sit this year because I thought this guy needed time to get acclimated to the NFL...... little did I know they NFL had to get acclimated to him!!! MY GAWD WHAT DID I JUST SEE

Guys we scored 57 points with a Rookie QB in his second start ........... to put that in perspective...... TOM “ THE GOAT” BRADY WONT SCORE 57 this year!!!! That’s how crazy that number is and not to mention the kid went toe to toe with the Goat last week in his stadium in Boston!!!!!! Are you kidding me right now !??? And with the addition on Fuller mannnnnnnnnn

I’ll hold my enthusiasm because we have the Chiefs next week butttttt my goodness!!!!

Is this kid really the Michael Jordan of football like his college coach and MICHAEL IRVIN been gushing about!!!???

Mind you he did it to the titans too guys...... probably the BEST TEAM IN OUR DIVISION........... they are actually good guys....... This wasn’t done to the jets or Niners guys

Wow is all I can say

Didn't read the whole thread, so may have missed earlier comments -- but it was nice to see a good kick return for the first time in a long time. IMO Ervin's had enough time to show something on ST's -- time to sit him down.

First of let me just say I was dead wrong......... I was not sold on Watson ..... I wanted him to sit this year because I thought this guy needed time to get acclimated to the NFL...... little did I know they NFL had to get acclimated to him!!! MY GAWD WHAT DID I JUST SEE

Guys we scored 57 points with a Rookie QB in his second start .....
His third actually

...... to put that in perspective...... TOM “ THE GOAT” BRADY WONT SCORE 57 this year!!!! That’s how crazy that number is and not to mention the kid went toe to toe with the Goat last week in his stadium in Boston!!!!!! Are you kidding me right now !??? And with the addition on Fuller mannnnnnnnnn
Watson didn't score 57 either, and not sure what this has to do with anything

I’ll hold my enthusiasm because we have the Chiefs next week butttttt my goodness!!!!

:lol:

Is this kid really the Michael Jordan of football like his college coach and MICHAEL IRVIN been gushing about!!!???

Mind you he did it to the titans too guys...... probably the BEST TEAM IN OUR DIVISION........... they are actually good guys....... This wasn’t done to the jets or Niners guys

Wow is all I can say

He's been great but... 3 games does not a career make

Bill O’Brien says he listens to his players and what they are seeing on the field. Trying to incorporated what Watson did well at Clemson.

— patrick (@PatDStat) October 2, 2017

"The thing about Deshaun (Watson) he is a very good passer." Bill O’Brien. #Texans

"You better be ready for something new you haven’t seen." Bill O’Brien on Andy Reid and the Chiefs. #Texans

"I believe we have an offense that can do a couple of different things." Bill O’Brien. #Texans

OB continued saying Fuller was not cleared but took time out to run routes and get to know how Watson operates. #Texans

"You can line him up anywhere, he knows what to do at every position." Bill O’Brien on Will Fuller. #Texans

"We have to have a new plan every week because we will see a new scheme every week." Bill O’Brien. #Texans

Turtling doesn't have to happen only in low scoring games. You don't have to always turtle. Turtling is simply the ability to play conservatively/defensively to preserve the lead.

So, they played defensively... ok... We must have been watching different games :)

Back