Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Jaguars, Sunday Oct 21, 2018!!

Jags have not been same after kc loss. I love it.
They've had a few things to figure out for the last 5 years and have yet to do so.

Like I said, this team should be 7-0. The fact that it's 4-3 and they had to scratch and claw with a horseshoe up their ass just to get to 4 wins after 0-3 not a good thing.

It's a good thing the team hasn't given up. But they shouldn't be in this position to begin with because they should be infinitely better than they are.

But hey, here's to continued winning. Maybe one day they'll figure it out and he'll be something different than what we've seen thus far in his tenure and the success will be legitimate.

People shouldn't be upset at people who are reluctant. So far, there's more proof in our favor.

Agree. This club is better than record shows. very annoying

They've had a few things to figure out for the last 5 years and have yet to do so.

Like I said, this team should be 7-0. The fact that it's 4-3 and they had to scratch and claw with a horseshoe up their ass just to get to 4 wins after 0-3 not a good thing.

It's a good thing the team hasn't given up. But they shouldn't be in this position to begin with because they should be infinitely better than they are.

But hey, here's to continued winning. Maybe one day they'll figure it out and he'll be something different than what we've seen thus far in his tenure and the success will be legitimate.

People shouldn't be upset at people who are reluctant. So far, there's more proof in our favor.

There’s only 1 team in the league undefeated and they are absolutely loaded. Patently ridiculous for u to hold the Texans to that standard.

Another divisional road win.
Not perfect, but much more convincing than previous 3 W's.
The defense was excellent again and were gassed in the 4th but still held it together.
They're improving but have a tough couple weeks ahead of them with a short week game against Miami on Thursday night and at Broncos on 11/4.
This is what concerns me the most, though. Because of your above quote (which seems very evident that its what's happening), this team is void of identity. It stretches the notion of "situational football" past its limits if you're learning too much on the go.

Far be it from me to turn down 4 straight wins. I'm proud of these boys. However, if they haven't learned who they are by now, they're going to drop some heart breakers, but do just enough to tickle McNair's fancy.
T
For mine, their defense has been pretty solid for several years so there is an argument that their identity is as a strong defensive squad.

Our 5 starting OL have played back to back games as the starting 5 OL once in seven games this season. This week, Mancz starts because Fulton can't.

Coutee, a big part of at least two of our wins was out today. We saw Ervin playing slot receiver for the first time I remember the last two years.

I saw Lamar Miller & Blue in the backfield at the same time for 5he first time this year. Andre Hal basically started today out of Necessity & Cheistian Covington played today. First time since week 1 (maybe 2).

We need consistency on the OL, so far this year, we haven't. We need consistency in the secondary, sso far, haven't had it.

Like it or not, still got a lot of learning to do
Not to mention Foreman who when healthy will add some punch to our running game - Texans should have a solid 1-2 punch with Miller.

That's scary when they would, in reality, be a bad 10 win team with mucho needs on the OL, RB, CB and suddenly find themselves drafting at pick 19 or later. That wouldn't bode well with these needs.
They have one thing going for them in the draft - they will have 2 2nd round picks.
If they can hit on three of their first 4 picks, that should help this team a lot.

AFN didn't air the game so I had to follow on ESPN Gamecast.....you know, the old plug-in electric football game. LOL. Anyhow, how would you guys rate Mancz's work today?
I thought the oline was better this week than last. Whether that can be attributed to Mancz's inclusion, I cannot tell you.

Yes, Bortles has become their Schaub. They will be QB shopping hard in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Acquiring a new QB will be difficult for Jacksonville to do because the Jaguars are entering "Cap Hell" starting next year. According to "Spotrac" https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/, Jacksonville is already $13.2 MM over the 2019 cap limit. They will have to cut some significant talent just to get back under the cap before they start adding any new QB talent. They can draft a QB, but I do not think they will be able sign one as a Free Agent, or trade for one.

Acquiring a new QB will be difficult for Jacksonville to do because the Jaguars are entering "Cap Hell" starting next year. According to "Spotrac" https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/, Jacksonville is already $13.2 MM over the 2019 cap limit. They will have to cut some significant talent just to get back under the cap before they start adding any new QB talent. They can draft a QB, but I do not think they will be able sign one as a Free Agent, or trade for one.

As a Texan fan I think they should trade for Peterman .

And Osweiler’s sitting pretty on the Dolphins. Granted he wasn’t traded but just adding that verteran QBs have value in the league. Somebody’ll take Bortles.

And Osweiler’s sitting pretty on the Dolphins. Granted he wasn’t traded but just adding that verteran QBs have value in the league. Somebody’ll take Bortles.
Are you the same as NitroFish, whom I haven't seen post in a while?

There’s only 1 team in the league undefeated and they are absolutely loaded. Patently ridiculous for u to hold the Texans to that standard.

And they're coached by a great coach and that's the difference.

I agree though. Given those facts, it's ridiculous for me to hold the Texans to that standard.

But again, I'm not the one who promoted the current guy as a savior.

Osweiler actually looks decent-to-good with the Dolphins so far, and if he keeps it up it'll beg the "question" as to why he didn't work out here.

Hm.

Osweiler is playing for Gase, the same guy he had success under in Denver. Gase apparently runs a system that suits Os. Cecil Shorts said on 610 last week that you could tell from the first day of OTAs OB did not want Osweiler here, so is there any wonder why he failed here?

Why does it feel like the run game is so much better when Mancz is in the game?

He seems to do a really good job of doubling blocks and getting to the second level in running situations.

Watson didn't have his best game(he is obviously hampered health wise), but there were some times in the pocket yesterday he was getting through every read quickly and making the pass.

Does he need to execute better? Sure.

But the hardest part of QBing is the part he is showing in essentially year 1 from the pocket.

Why does it feel like the run game is so much better when Mancz is in the game?

He seems to do a really good job of doubling blocks and getting to the second level in running situations.

Because he's better than Martin/Kelemete. They've got to find a way to get Mancz on the field. He's one of their best 5 OL.

Watson didn't have his best game(he is obviously hampered health wise), but there were some times in the pocket yesterday he was getting through every read quickly and making the pass.

Does he need to execute better? Sure.

But the hardest part of QBing is the part he is showing in essentially year 1 from the pocket.

He's getting better, but he needs to keep his eyes down field when he steps up into the pocket and not take off running so much. There are guys open if he keeps looking for them. He's getting better at this but improvement is still needed in this area.

He's getting better, but he needs to keep his eyes down field when he steps up into the pocket and not take off running so much. There are guys open if he keeps looking for them. He's getting better at this but improvement is still needed in this area.

The few times I saw him step up in the pocket, he ended up running up the middle when there were obvious open receivers.

We have a good chance to win out through the bye week & should be favored for a couple after. We can go into December 8-3... 7-4.
You are most likely correct but my so called prediction came from a place of being underwhelmed at how we have looked during our winning stretch.

It's on O'Brien to recognize what we're up against, to win & prepare to play good teams we'll see if we're blessed enough to make the playoffs.
Don't count on him doing such. If we can't see any kind of steady progression against the bad to average teams, mostly on offense, than I see little hope in us beating one of the better teams in the league. In fact I see more of an ass whooping taking place against us.

Because the the run game has worked OB this has given OB the green light to keep running Lamar up the middle on first.
I don't mind starting conservative and running the ball more if the running game is working and lessons the burden on our poor pass blocking O-line. What I would like to see is BO'b utilizing the play action pass more. Especially when he has the other teams thinking we are going to follow our routine and run up the gut on first and second downs more times than not.

Don't count on him doing such. If we can't see any kind of steady progression against the bad to average teams, mostly on offense, than I see little hope in us beating one of the better teams in the league. In fact I see more of an ass whooping taking place against us.

Well we have faced 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league the past 3 weeks with a QB with broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. Our offense did well against the Cowboys, struggled a lot against the Bills(I think they had a poor blocking scheme designed for the game, and the pass rush was to much for Watson), and then the offense played well against the Jags. We could have scored 30+ points in yesterdays game if they wanted, but I will say I think OB called a very smart game plan. Your defense has kept the jags bottled up all game, you have an injured QB, and a short week before the following game. No need to press to score more points and risk turnovers, or worse injuries when you are dominating a team like we were.

You are most likely correct but my so called prediction came from a place of being underwhelmed at how we have looked during our winning stretch.

The reason I say we have a good chance of winning our through the bye week is because the teams we'll face have been just as underwhelming if not more.

Osweiler has looked far better than Tannehill this season (with notable exceptions of the Jets & Raiders). I expect a bit of a chip on his shoulder as well.

Good, that means he’ll be trying to make throws he knows he can’t make consistently to try to prove something. Should be open season for the secondary.

Osweiler has looked far better than Tannehill this season (with notable exceptions of the Jets & Raiders). I expect a bit of a chip on his shoulder as well.
Neither are worrisome. The Texans gave Bortles enough room for him to make mistakes. Osweiler will have the same fate. I also think this could be the game Watson breaks out. Not afraid of the Fins pass rush.

And then the bye week after the following week at Denver. Hopefully will be enough to heal up for the second half of the season.

Hopefully after 9 days off he will be able to travel to Denver. I think Saturday is travel day.

And then the bye week after the following week at Denver. Hopefully will be enough to heal up for the second half of the season.

I'm just flat out concerned about Watson's health. Watson is truly an elite QB (or will be, hopefully, maybe), we've all seen what he is capable of. If he gets beat up to much, it's not the mental aspect as Watson seems a very level headed guy that can handle adversity, but the physical side will just ruin things for everyone if he gets to many lingering and repeated injuries.

I am just sitting here thinking as I've read about the Pat P trade rumors and the Duane Brown success in Seattle.

We could have had AJ Boyue and Duane Brown on this team.

Our owner let his political beliefs prevent Brown from getting paid, and our GM didn't want to spend money because he felt an always injured Kevin Johnson could replace AJ Boyue.

It is so mind boggling how those two moves hurt the Texans so bad. McNair runs the show.

Back