Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Eagles, Sunday Dec 23, 2018!!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Probably, but I still think we can make some noise. I always felt like Watson's legs were enough to make a difference in a playoff game and still think this is a possibility.
I like your power of positive thinking.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Newsflash dumbass, it doesn’t matter how many pts you score, if u can’t stop anyone, you’re still gonna lose..the offense could’ve scored on every single damn drive but with the way the defense was playing, it wouldn’t have mattered. Furthermore Your rationale is ASININE considering the offense has been/was depleted at the WR position and has been suspect on the OL for pretty much the whole damn year. Blaming the offense and BoB today of all days in light of the defense getting shredded for 500 yds passing 2 TDs and a 100% 4th down conversion rate is just idiotic and further shows how biased you are against Bob and the offense.

The defense is supposed to be the strongest part of this team. The defense has been the healthier side of this team all year. The defense also has the most star power of each side of the ball. They were also the last on the field today and were in position to salvage what was a horrible day for them overall. and what do they do? they gave up not 1...but 2 3rd and very longs in that final drive. Didn’t even really put the heat on Philly to make it tough.
I got your dumbass chump

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'm just encouraged by what I saw today. We're better than I thought we were.
To be fair, they did more than I thought they would today after giving up on them.

Just as I give them credit for doing more than I thought they would giving up at 0-3.

That said..... I give up, they arent gonna do anything in the playoffs.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Again when the freaking defense is depleted like it ended up being. How in the bleep you think they were the strongest part of this team. You don't put that type of trust in them when we're down to our 3rd string corner, Jojo out there playing hurt. When we got that turnover (interception) Obrien should've spread them out like he did in the 4th.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Again when the freaking defense is depleted like it ended up being. How in the bleep you think they were the strongest part of this team. You don't put that type of trust in them when we're down to our 3rd string corner, Jojo out there playing hurt. When we got that turnover (interception) Obrien should've spread them out like he did in the 4th.
How does that matter? We'd have scored as quickly as we did on the last drive, gave them the ball, allow them to score as quickly as they did the last drive.. the score would have been higher, but we couldn't stop them. Last one with the ball wiz the game.

Texansballer74

The Marine
How does that matter? We'd have scored as quickly as we did on the last drive, gave them the ball, allow them to score as quickly as they did the last drive.. the score would have been higher, but we couldn't stop them. Last one with the ball wiz the game.

You're not understanding my take either. Why not run those plays you ran when your back was up against the wall. The first and third quarters in which we didn't score in hurt. Mainly that third when you knew we were hurting big time I'm the secondary. The game plan should've been the same ass the 4th. That game plan of spreading them out was lethal. You also know the running game is out the door as well.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
See, I think they beat the Jags and "earn" another meaningless Division title and the useless #3 seed.
And another claim by our arrogant bullshit coach who was brought in to achieve more that "doesn't matter Brian, 3 times division champion Brian" or some ****.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
You’re right it wasn’t enough...but here’s the thing: if we break the game down to the very simplest jobs of both sides of the ball, the offense did their job and the defense failed.

However much it is a struggle for them, the offense usually finds a way to put up more pts than their opponent and today they put put up 30...you’re expected to win most games when u do that. the defense had a shitty day but still had a chance to salvage what was a very poor outing by them at the end and they simply didn’t come thru.

Hey I’m not tripping too much, I had them a 10-6 for the season, but my posts are mainly aimed at certain posters acting like this defense is formidable b/c of an obscure ranking no one really pays attention to. They’re a middling defense at best and every time they’ve faced elite/good QBs, they’ve gotten shredded.
Fair assessment, except for one point.
I would add that what tips them over the edge as far as being above average is their ability to force turnovers - something you cant count on, but that pops up regularly enough to make them above average - imo.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
You’re right it wasn’t enough...but here’s the thing: if we break the game down to the very simplest jobs of both sides of the ball, the offense did their job and the defense failed.

However much it is a struggle for them, the offense usually finds a way to put up more pts than their opponent and today they put put up 30...you’re expected to win most games when u do that. the defense had a shitty day but still had a chance to salvage what was a very poor outing by them at the end and they simply didn’t come thru.

Hey I’m not tripping too much, I had them a 10-6 for the season, but my posts are mainly aimed at certain posters acting like this defense is formidable b/c of an obscure ranking no one really pays attention to. They’re a middling defense at best and every time they’ve faced elite/good QBs, they’ve gotten shredded.
Fair assessment, except for one point.
I would add that what tips them over the edge as far as being above average is their ability to force turnovers - something you cant count on, but that pops up regularly enough to make them above average - imo.
And another claim by our arrogant bullshit coach who was brought in to achieve more that "doesn't matter Brian, 3 times division champion Brian" or some ****.
Hardly fair.
Until Watson, he has had below average QB play and a thin bench.
Sure, he could have pounded the table for more Oline help in the drafts, but you can't say he sat on his hands either.
With a decent oline and a maturing Watson, this O will be lethal.
Something I am looking forward to.
Good times are just around the corner.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I brought this up yesterday. DW4 gets us the lead only to let the defense screw it up. We need to NEVER leave more than a minute on the clock after a come back drive. I was excited after the V. Smith TD, but then I looked at the clock and was like please lord no...He didn't hear my pleas.
If we were playing Brady, Rodgers, Luck... Ben. Until yesterday I didn't put Foles in that category. Against any team other than ours, Foles may not be in that group.

Texas Jake

Rookie
I brought this up yesterday. DW4 gets us the lead only to let the defense screw it up. We need to NEVER leave more than a minute on the clock after a come back drive. I was excited after the V. Smith TD, but then I looked at the clock and was like please lord no...He didn't hear my pleas.
I looked at the clock and thought we left them too much time. We had to score a TD and we were ineffective close in. You take a scoring opportunity when you can get it.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

Sure would have been nice for the offense to give them a spell at times .. some of those 3 & outs came after defense had already been on field for extended periods. Going 3 for 10 on 3rd downs was not good either. Score was what it was thanks to #4.

But the defense sucked yesterday I guess. They had like a 15 play defensive series at the goaline. Under constant barrage by a more aggressive coach. They made stops only for the offense to not do anything either especially coming out of the second half just look at the drive summaries. They forced 3 turnovers and Texans lost the TOP battle by 7:30 minutes!

Everyone took a part in the loss.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I looked at the clock and thought we left them too much time. We had to score a TD and we were ineffective close in. You take a scoring opportunity when you can get it.
Kubiak had separate offenses and drills for 4 & 2 min scenarios. I've heard other HCs do the same.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Kubiak had separate offenses and drills for 4 & 2 min scenarios. I've heard other HCs do the same.
Apparently, by his use of timeouts, our coach was setting up the 4-minute variety, but the horror happened and the offense actually scored faster than expected...ya know the offense none (well few) of us trust in the red zone. Scoring at all was far from given with Watson and Hopkins plus lots of ????

so that leaves the Texans with a former SuperBowl DC, the best DLman of his generation, number 1 overall pass rusher, along with several other veteran defenders stop the offense from traveling 50-55 yards.

I would still make the bet on the defense making a stop with the lead and two minutes than a battered offense scoring a TD with four minutes or so left.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I was shocked we scored, more so that we scored a TD... more so that we scored so quickly.

Take what we can get, put it on the defense. Jj Watt was due to make a play.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Hardly fair.
Until Watson, he has had below average QB play and a thin bench.
Sure, he could have pounded the table for more Oline help in the drafts, but you can't say he sat on his hands either.
With a decent oline and a maturing Watson, this O will be lethal.
Something I am looking forward to.
Good times are just around the corner.
As if he wasn't responsible for his QB situation. He kept Fitzpatrick, he got rid of Keenum, he wanted Hoyer, he wanted Mallett, he wanted Savage, didn't trade up for Bridgewater or Carr or Garoppolo, et al. He stuck with Savage all throughout training camp and preseason and even named him Week 1 starter and it was only until he was horrendously embarrassed by a terrible Week 1 2017 performance embarrassing and disappointing the entire city of Houston in the wake of Harvey that he was FORCED to put Watson in at halftime.

Gee, if only he was in a position to influence such decisions. Guy inccessantly fellated as an offensive guru and a game prep manager and a prodigy but nope, he's not responsible.

Poor, poor Bill O'Brien. Just a ******* outsider.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
I would sell your season tickets to me but keep them under you name for the next three years. Then reevaluate after. By that time OB and the will have changed and you may be back into it.

I am sure we can work something out. Just saying and just an idea.
Wouldn't be a big deal. This year I split with a buddy. I got first pick, cowboy game lol.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Clowney blew the game again. Without that 15 yards for roughing the passer on that last drive, who knows what the outcome would have been? When will they learn to leave Clowney on the bench in the final minutes?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
With the Texans you take the TD when you can get it. They don't have the build to sustain clock eating drives. Too many sacks, too many negative plays on early downs putting them in crap down and distance, too many runs up the middle for nothing on 3rd and short. 7 games this season they've had 2 or fewer drives in a game go 4 minutes or more, including just 1 each in the last 2 games.

Get the TD when you can, play some freaking defense.