Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Jags at Texans, Sunday Sep 10, 2017!!

Anybody else tired of seeing Woolfolk commercials. He came here as a has been. Another smoke ring brought in by Smith. Go back to New England. Sorry in a bad mood. How many more years of Smith do we have to put up with.
Willfork was hardly the problem with our team last season. We may not have gotten the pro bowl version but he was hardly washed up. When he knew he had nothing left he retired.

Full BOB conference:

Bill O'Brien: 'We're moving on to Cincinnati'

OBrien "We'll deal with the adversity. No NFL season is determined in the first week of the season."

Bill O'Brien on QBs: 'It's never as bad as you think it is. It wasn't very good. There were some moments both guys did some good things'

O'Brien: "We have to coach better, we have to play better. That's what we have to do... Football is about adversity."

Bill O'Brien: 'It's a long season. It's about how fast you can improve'

Bill O'Brien: 'We've had a lot of good wins. We've won the AFC South two years in a row'

Bill O'Brien expects the five concussed guys probably out this week

Bill O'Brien: 'Got to give me some time here' on quarterback decision

Bill O'Brien on all three TEs concussed: 'We've got to figure out a way'

Bill O'Brien would say all three tight ends potentially out for the game due to concussion protocol

All 3 TEs, Brian Cushing, and WR Bruce Ellington suffered concussion in yesterday's loss to Jags. #Texans

Bill O'Brien hasn't named a quarterback because he hasn't met with the players yet, as he said earlier, lot of 'moving parts.'

Bill O'Brien on Greg Mancz: 'Absolutely, I can envision Mancz starting.' Didn't name him starter yet

RG Jeff Allen also left with injury yesterday. O'Brien says he "absolutely" feels comfortable if Greg Mancz has to step in for him. #Texans

Bill O'Brien: 'It wasn't a good day, no excuses.'

Bill O'Brien: 'When we've given up that much yardage in the running game, we haven't won games'

Bill O'Brien: 'We have to tackle better. I think we missed 10 tackles in the game.' Said team needs to set edge better

Bill O'Brien: 'I've said that Tom [Savage] is our starter, we'll see moving forward here'

Bill O'Brien said D'Onta Foreman will get increased carries going forward

Bill O'Brien on Duane Brown 'I have no idea. I coach the team. The thing I'm in charge of is what you saw yesterday, which wasn't very good'

OBrien "I did think there were some bright spots on special teams. We have to do better on offense and defense. We have to coach better."

OBrien "Football's about adversity. Every week you have to try to improve. That's the game."

OBrien "We have to run the ball better."

Bill O'Brien: 'We have to run the ball better. That's where I need to do a better job with play design'

Asked about saying after Hoyer Week 1 benching in 2015 that it was a mistake in hindsight, O'Brien said he didn't remember saying that.

Unless Duane Brown walks into that locker room with a Superman T-shirt on, I just don't see how our offensive line can improve. It may be the worst offensive line in the NFL right now. The Seahawks have an awful O-Line as well but I think ours is worse.

At least Jaelen Strong is back from his Week 1 suspension. While the Jaguars lost their star wide receiver, Allen Robinson, for the season with a torn ACL. Ouch! He's on many fantasy teams. This was a 1400-yard, 14 TD stud back in 2015. Bill O'Brien had coached him at Penn State.

You said, "He came here as a has been" which implies he gave you no value on the field.
Ok. The "has been" I think is correct. Nowhere near where he was in prime. He played OK on the field. I agree he did the honorable thing and retired in a timely manner. Loved watching him on "Hard Knocks" Just tired of the brain trust trying to bring in players past their prime and make us think they are doing a great job bringing in big names. Would have been really pissed if I saw Brock commercial instead.
Again just pissed off watching the game. Not a really serious comment. Some humor in post.

Ok. The "has been" I think is correct. Nowhere near where he was in prime. He played OK on the field. I agree he did the honorable thing and retired in a timely manner. Loved watching him on "Hard Knocks" Just tired of the brain trust trying to bring in players past their prime and make us think they are doing a great job bringing in big names. Would have been really pissed if I saw Brock commercial instead.
Again just pissed off watching the game. Not a really serious comment. Some humor in post.
Vince was past his prime, but leadership he brought and the way he mentored Reader was invaluable. A big part of bring him in was trying to instilled a winning culture, can't fault them for that.

Vince was past his prime, but leadership he brought and the way he mentored Reader was invaluable. A big part of bring him in was trying to instilled a winning culture, can't fault them for that.
I'll buy that. Maybe need to bring him in as non-player to work on instilling that winning culture.

BTW, Kevin Johnson looked terrible out there against the Jags. Blown coverages and poor tackling. Diving at Fournette and coming up with nothing but turf was a classic NFL blooper.

Here is my breakdown of the second half offense, 76 is doing the first half

1st and 10, great blocking up front by the OL, nice run by Miller

2nd and 3, Allen and Martin double teamed the defender, but got zero push, the guy stood them upped and single handedly stopped Miller on that play for no gain

3rd and 3, Watson sets them up and reads the D perfectly, he throws a quick slant to Hopkins on the money for the first down, even on the quick throw from shotgun, Allen was pushed into Watsons lap

1st and 10, Martin was blown off the ball, tackled Miller for a 2 yard gain

2nd and 8, the Dl ran a stunt on the right side, Martin got blown up again and pushed right into Watson’s face, but it was another quick throw this time to the outside to Hopkins, completed, good throw and catch

1st and 10, great read option, Miller picks up a nice gain, Mancz makes a good block at the second level.

2nd and 4, nice bootleg PA, Watson scans the field and finds CJ open with a nice pass, CJ begins showing signs of a concussion here, Myles Jack was head hunting for sure on this play.

**The starting OL at this point is Lamm, Mancz, Martin, Allen, Giacomini**

1st and 10, shotgun pass, Giacomini is beat right away and Allen is right behind him, Watson steps up and eludes pressure, he could have hit Ellington coming across the middle, but pulled it down to run, which was ok as he had plenty of field in front of him.

2nd and 1, this was a weird thing to me, after the replay the guys were at the line, Watson was hunched over just standing there. He stood there for at least 6 seconds doing nothing, then started barking out calls and drew up a run play, Martin was BLOWN off the ball again, by the time Ervin had the ball in his hands, Martin was 3 full yards behind the LOS, Ervin made a good cut to get back inside and pick up the 1st.

1st and 10, Giacomini was instantly beat, Watson was loading up to throw when he felt 91 so he tucked it and scrambled, he made a great run, but made a bad pass to Ellington who was open for a few yards.

2nd and 10, Watson went to throw this ball very fast, but Hopkins wasn’t out of his break yet, so he pulled it down and reloaded, Allen got DESTROYED, I mean really bad. When Watson threw this ball he was getting eaten alive, the ball fell short to Hopkins. PI on Hopkins

2nd and 20, huge miscommunication with Anderson here. Watson wants to throw immediately to him but he never turns for the ball, even after Watson throws it.

3rd and 20, Jags brought the house, sent 7 with only 6 blockers. I think Watson to Ellington should have been the call there. His corner blitzes and the safety was pretty deep. It would have gained us at least 7-8 yards with one to beat for the score. It would have set us up with a nice FG attempt. We got bailed out with a roughing the passer call.

1st and 10, Martin and Giacomini get pushed back again into the lap of Watson, Ervin tries to pick up the corner blitz, Watson steps up and scrambles with a nice throw to Hopkins on the sideline, Hopkins drops it.

2nd and 10, its amazing how Giacomini gets beat here. Its a PA rollout and Giacomini doesn’t get any push on the DL, the guy runs around him and forces him back to Watsons backside almost hitting him. Watson has a free blitzer in his face, makes a good throw to Hopkins.

3rd and 3, Watson throws the pick here that gets Ellington knocked out. Its either a bad throw or Ellington runs the wrong route. I really don’t know which. Ellington sits down on the route as a curl, but Watson throws inside some like it was supposed to be an in cutting route. I think Watson realized Ellington stopped on the route and went to pull the ball down but instead he threw it anyway, hesitation will get you picked off in this league. Bad decision regardless, because he could have pulled it down and run, bailed out by hands to the face on the defense.

1st and goal, great play call and beautiful pass, TD Hopkins

1st and 10, read option with an option to pass it looked like, run up the middle

2nd and 6, Watson makes a terrible throw to Hopkins, one hops it to him. Bad pass, the pocket was good enough for him to make that throw. He locked on to Hopkins there and then made a bad pass.

3rd and 6, no one is open before the pocket starts to collapse, Watson makes a great move and gets the first down. Allen is injured on this play. Lamm leans way too much in pass blocking, the guy is leaving himself exposed big time. Miller didn’t chip the DE and left Giacomini alone and he got beat to the outside, forcing Watson to step up, when he shrugs off the tackler, the guy gets throw into Allen and rolls up on his ankle.

**The line is now Lamm, X, Martin, Mancz, Giacomini

1st and 10, I think Giacomini was supposed to pick up the DL that was over Mancz, but he failed to do so and he blew up the play. Anderson was pulling from the opposite side to get the LB but because the DL came free he collided with him leaving the LB to make the tackle at the LOS.

2nd and 8, Giacomini gets beat again, this was a fake WR screen with two guys running routes to the same side of the field. It worked extremely well. The Das got sucked up and Watson had Anderson open deep. X literally let the rushing LB run right by him to disrupt Watson from the middle too. Watson couldn’t step into the throw and the ball was off target. This would have been a great play.

3rd and 8, Jags are really bringing the house now. They rushed 7, one came untouched and Watson threw it out to Hopkins off his back foot, incomplete, but a penalty, Hopkins was held, the guy pulled his glove off. The ball would have been on target if Hopkins wasn’t held. That was a great throw under pressure.

1st and 10, Anderson tried to do a reach block, but didn’t get there, Miller makes a great move and run on that first down play

2nd and 2, nice PA pass, Watson gets outside the pocket and makes a great throw in tight coverage to Hopkins, Hopkins drops it.

3rd and 2, Watson barking out calls again, its a run, nice play, first down

1st and 10, takes a bit for someone to get open, but Watson moves in the pocket well and finds Ervin, good throw

2nd and 7, Watson calling his shot again at the line, another run, decent call

3rd and 4, the infamous kick ball play. Giacomini gets beat quick again, Watson has no one open so he steps up to leave the pocket, gets hit in the head and the ball is kicked from his hands. Watson will need to learn to keep two hands on the ball when scrambling.

1st and 10, PA, nice pass to Hopkins.

2nd and 1, Miller with a short gain, but enough for a first down.

1st and 10, long pass down the sideline, overthrows Hopkins

2nd and 10, throw to Hopkins who appears to run the wrong route.

3rd and 10, pass to Miller down the sidelines, over thrown, regardless Miller was pushed out of bounds and couldn’t touch the ball anyway. Poor pass

1st and 10, good read to come back to Ervin in the middle, completed but was a little bit off, his past couple of balls look bad.

2nd and 5, offsides on defense

1st and 10, great throw by Watson, X gets beat bad and Watson gets rocked pretty good

1st and 10, Lamm gets beat and Watson goes down

2nd and 17, Lamm gets beat really bad again, it was a screen, X can’t get to his man, Miller makes one guy miss, but the pursuit was there and he lost yards, Watson takes another big hit, roughing the passer. Hits him late and in the head

1st and 10, Giacomini gets beat quick again, Watson is able to make an impressive escape getting back to the LOS, even holding his guy Giacomini can’t get it done

1st and 20, WR screen to Ervin, good call vs the blitz

2nd and 14, great throw to Miller, but Watson appears hurt, doesn’t step into this throw and appears to pick his leg up after the throw. He might roll his ankle slightly on his right (plant) leg

1st and goal, holding, not the greatest pocket, Watson steps up and scrambles for a few, but it comes back, I know he scrambles here, but I think he is hurt already.

1st and goal from the 20, goes to the endzone, over throws Ervin

2nd and goal, late over the middle with no drive and its picked. After the tackled he sits there and winches in pain for a second. The throw was bad, the read was bad, the tackled was good

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
Full: Tyler Ervin, Brandon Dunn, Breno Giacomini, Joel Heath, DeAndre Hopkins (wrist), Tom Savage (finger)

5:02 PM - Sep 11, 2017

DNP: Jeff Allen, Stephen Anderson, Alfred Blue, Brian Cushing, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Ryan Griffin, Kevin Johnson, Will Fuller, Bruce Ellington

5:01 PM - Sep 11, 2017

Limited: Deshaun Watson (ankle), Jadeveon Clowney (foot), Nick Martin (ankle), Benardrick McKinney (knee), J.J. Watt (finger)

5:01 PM - Sep 11, 2017

Texas State Flag Holders: First Responders from Sugar Land Police & Fire Department, Pasadena Fire Department and Harris County Sheriff’s Office

Did anyone else see the stadium worker/event guy bull rushing the police Officers/first responders as they came out of the tunnel with the flag?? The flag carriers were walking over the pylon in the end zone and this stadium worker was going ape ****. He was running full speed into the people pushing them away from the pylon. I was waiting for one of the first responders to throw down on him. Dude, it's a freaking pylon...takes two seconds to replace in the proper position. I was pissed at the guy....

That's the thing though, one has to be tanked to watch this crap!
LOL, I don't know why I keep watching this crap.

I know some of us were ready to walk away last year.

But like I said, I was willing to give O'Brien another chance.

OK, show me how you call play as an OC.

And then this.
SMH.

And then this.
SMH.

I'm willing to give OB one last shot with Watson at qb.

Reason why is simple. With Savage behind a bad Oline in a real NFL game and not pre season there is no way to scheme. So what you're left with is a slow footed, slow processing, slow to release qb behind a bad Oline. That was doomed for failure. Only chance is if the Oline improves dramatically. And that ain't happening. It just isn't.

You can't always get the ball out quick because the defense starts sitting in that. Savage is slow to process and does not have a quick delivery or quick feet to move around and buy time in the pocket. And you damn sure can't put him on the move a lot with designed rollouts to get the pocket moving.

With Watson, you can call the game differently and scheme around some of your deficiencies.

Even as a rookie without much experience and his innscurate throws you should still be able to generate more offense than you can with Savage simply because Watson is more mobile and more gifted and the offense shouldn't be as stagnant.

Reason why is simple. With Savage behind a bad Oline in a real NFL game and not pre season there is no way to scheme.

You can't always get the ball out quick because the defense starts sitting in that. Savage is slow to process and does not have a quick delivery or quick feet to move around and buy time in the pocket. And you damn sure can't put him on the move a lot with designed rollouts to get the pocket moving.

With Watson, you can call the game differently and scheme around some of your deficiencies.

Even as a rookie without much experience and his innscurate throws you should still be able to generate more offense than you can with Savage simply because Watson is more mobile and more gifted.
Ok, let's do that.

Never said anything about his play did I? Just said tired of seeing his commercial.
Your words not mine... He came here as a has been. Another smoke ring brought in by Smith.

That to me says that you did not see any value in him on our team. Not a big deal. I understand how we can all get a bit off track when we are dealing with raw emotions after a horrendous first game of the season and it looking like there will be many more games like the first one. If you were just tired of Vince Wilfork doing commercials I can understand that. I was just answering to your above statement because it seemed to be misplaced.

And then this.
SMH.
It is hard to utilize any kind of offense when there is no offensive line and there is no stability at the Qb position. I agree that coach O'brien could utilize his offense a bit better but I do give him a bit of a break due to the weaknesses I mentioned above.

Reason why is simple. With Savage behind a bad Oline in a real NFL game and not pre season there is no way to scheme. So what you're left with is a slow footed, slow processing, slow to release qb behind a bad Oline. That was doomed for failure. Only chance is if the Oline improves dramatically. And that ain't happening. It just isn't.

Even as a rookie without much experience and his innscurate throws you should still be able to generate more offense than you can with Savage simply because Watson is more mobile and more gifted and the offense shouldn't be as stagnant.

I thought Savage was the better choice after preseason, because I didn't see that slow mindedness when I watched him. It became very apparent early in week 1 though. I was glad to see BOB act on it quickly. You called it.

I hope we all give Watson some slack with his current situation. I'm not trying to make excuses, but the situation is really bad. Terrible O line, won't have a lot of time for longer developing plays, backup WRs, a RB who doesn't run hard, and no TEs. If the D keeps up their week 1 play, that makes it even more difficult. Expect some turnovers on slants and such given the defense is going to be squatting on everything from here on out.

Savage didn't have much of a shot either, but he's definitely not the guy to get anything out of the current situation.

It is hard to utilize any kind of offense when there is no offensive line and there is no stability at the Qb position. I agree that coach O'brien could utilize his offense a bit better but I do give him a bit of a break due to the weaknesses I mentioned above.
This is where I'm at. OB has to work with the players he has. This season is going to be interesting from the perspective how he adjusts to make the most of a bad situation.

...Savage didn't have much of a shot either, but he's definitely not the guy to get anything out of the current situation.
The key words: "current situation". But I also have serious concerns that Watson won't stay healthy from the pounding he will receive. From this angle, Savage is the better choice. We'll probably see a lot of both as the season progresses.

This is where I'm at. OB has to work with the players he has. This season is going to be interesting from the perspective how he adjusts to make the most of a bad situation.
Yes a coach that belongs in the NFL has to know how to make necessary adjustments to fit the skills or lack thereof of his team.

Sometimes it seems that Bill O'brien is too inflexible. Pride comes before the fall. Let's see if coach shows some flexibility going forward. If he is too stubborn to adapt than he will for sure be gone after this season or maybe even before the season is over.

We do have a weak as all get out offensive line but with a mobile Qb like DW there are ways to get some production out of the offense. If the defense gets anywhere close to the defense we have become accustomed to than I can see us once again having a 9-7 season. I am not sure given the limitations of the offense in general that our team can do any better than that.

Sorry, I can't give him a break.
He's the guy calling plays.
He needs to adjust to the pressure the other guys are putting on his Oline.
There are a lot of things that could have been done.
Bah007 had mentioned some, Austinxx had mentioned some.

Sorry, I can't give him a break.
He's the guy calling plays.
He needs to adjust to the pressure the other guys are putting on his Oline.
There are a lot of things that could have been done.
Bah007 had mentioned some, Austinxx had mentioned some.
I have said as much myself in the past but this last game I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I have never been a big fan of our teams head coach. However I was just trying to make excuses for him. I guess I just hate stating the obvious so much and am trying to put lipstick on this pig. Problem is that it is still a pig when all is said and done. I actually think BO'b could be fired before the end of the season. If the team looks as bad as it did against the Jags up to the point of the bye week I can see him getting the boot. I would at least hope that is the case. I do also give BO'b some leeway for this next game due to losing so many key players due to concussions.

Before our TE's all got hurt it appeared they would be fairly large contributors to the offense. Not having them will be tough to work through.

Back