Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Giants at Texans, Sunday Sept 23, 2018!!

Are we sure this isn't just Watson being a rookie and maybe not that good a decision maker yet?

Plenty of it is. That's why I'm worried. Not that be won't be good, but that he'll never be what he should with the coaching staff in place.

He's not coach proof. He needs real and tangible guidance and molding.

He won't get that with Bill O'Brien.

Reactions: ROO
No he's not coach proof. One offseason with OB's attention on him and he's slowed his processing down looking fot the correct throw instead of an ooen theow. Good job OB.

I really don't understand why some people don't see it this way. He wants the young man to be just like the prototypical statue of a QB.

Why do you think he changed to this supposedly new offense. Lol

Reactions: ROO
Are we sure this isn't just Watson being a rookie and maybe not that good a decision maker yet?

I think sophomore slump tbo and maybe billy is not a good qb coach

by the way has anyone said yet Fire all the coaches and GM …. and bring back Ricky Slick ..???? :P

The Texans have not looked like the better team in game than any opponent they've had this year. I have no clue what you are talking about or how you could possibly think otherwise.

Every team in the league can point to numerous things where if they would've "just executed" them they would've won. This is in no way exclusive to the Texans. In fact, there are 5 things today that if the Giants would've "just executed"....they would've beaten you by 5 scores....lol

Titans total yards: 291 (including that Fake punt 66 yard play). Texans total yards 458. Texans third down efficiency: 45% Titans: 33%. Average gain per Offensive play Texans 7, Titans 5. First downs: Texans 21, Titans 15.

This wasn‘t a game like the Pats game where we had no Chance. This wasn‘t a game like the Giants game, where we got dominanted for a half. This was a game in which our Defense Held them to 1 TD and 2 FGs. I am not saying it was a good game by us - I am saying we were outcoached. The Titans only beat us because of mistakes - outside of that fake punt and that missed FG the Texans were executing better both on offense and on defense. But those key mistakes and the turnovers cost us. With better coaching we win this game hands down. And no, not because the Texans are clearly better than the Titans, but because the Titans were down a couple of linemen and a QB and were just not playing that good...

I'm more disappointed in the defense than anything. I mean Eli was throwing from a recliner all game.

Yeah, where the **** is Mercilus this season? The way he is playing, he should be on the sideline and Ejiafor should be out there. At least Clowney has the excuse of playing injured...

Absolutely. Doesn't help that apparently he's had to learn a different offensive system and it's not coming together. Watson says it's not the calls, he's just not executing, but anyone with a set of eyes can see the mess is responsible by multiple parties.

All that said as bad as Watson's game may 'feel' he's lingering around the top 10 in relevant QB categories thus far and I feel more confident with him than any other Houston QB we've had.

Watson is still the Texans only real threat to become the organizations first Franchise QB. Now, if the organization could just get their collective shite together and surround this young man with a winning HC, OC, RB and above all else, an OL.....fans could finally have bragging rights to one of the top up and coming QB's in the NFL. If the organization should choose to just sit on their hands....Watson, like all the other talent the Texans have drafted will become a flash in the pan. One hit wonders.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Doesn't help that apparently he's had to learn a different offensive system and it's not coming together. Watson says it's not the calls, he's just not executing, but anyone with a set of eyes can see the mess is responsible by multiple parties.

All that said as bad as Watson's game may 'feel' he's lingering around the top 10 in relevant QB categories thus far and I feel more confident with him than any other Houston QB we've had.

Watson wasn‘t bad that last game. He got better every game this season. Overall he had more than 400 total yards, 2 TDs and an interception. Yeah, one of the TDs was in garbage time and he failed to get points out of several red zone trips, but the O-line didn‘t do him any favors either.

One thing I am wondering: where is the back shoulder throw? He was the first Texans QB I saw regularly doing it last season, this season it is gone. Is that a scheme/play call thing, or is he not confident in it anymore?

Watson wasn‘t bad that last game. He got better every game this season. Overall he had more than 400 total yards, 2 TDs and an interception. Yeah, one of the TDs was in garbage time and he failed to get points out of several red zone trips, but the O-line didn‘t do him any favors either.

One thing I am wondering: where is the back shoulder throw? He was the first Texans QB I saw regularly doing it last season, this season it is gone. Is that a scheme/play call thing, or is he not confident in it anymore?

I agree with you entirely but you have some guys here that have the nerve to say Watson is a garbage time QB. He just isnt playing very well right now according to the standards that have been set.

..and to the answer the question about the specific ball placement/distribution ... thats a tough question. It would involve a good amount of film time. Maybe @76Texan would like to sift through the 3 games and see if he can spot any obvious throwing patterns or anomalies .. I just think Watson is wound too tight. When you are overthrowing Will Fuller by 5 yards you are just cranked up. I think he is still doing everything he can to run Obriens offense within the confines and not freestyling as much as he was last year. Watson was 12/12 on throws over the middle so I dont think confidence is the issue or accuracy even. He just needs to be smarter in the red zone, cant give away points.

Yeah, where the **** is Mercilus this season? The way he is playing, he should be on the sideline and Ejiafor should be out there. At least Clowney has the excuse of playing injured...
So does Mercilus. From the TEXANS VS GIANTS INJURY REPORT:
Mercilus has come up with a new shoulder injury. Hopefully, it is not the tendon insertion of his pectoralis muscle which he tore last season.
A shoulder injury can make the best ILB "impotent"........especially a run-stopping ILB.

..and to the answer the question about the specific ball placement/distribution ... thats a tough question. It would involve a good amount of film time. Maybe @76Texan would like to sift through the 3 games and see if he can spot any obvious throwing patterns or anomalies .. I just think Watson is wound too tight. When you are overthrowing Will Fuller by 5 yards you are just cranked up. I think he is still doing everything he can to run Obriens offense within the confines and not freestyling as much as he was last year. Watson was 12/12 on throws over the middle so I dont think confidence is the issue or accuracy even. He just needs to be smarter in the red zone, cant give away points.

Nothing's wrong with Watson except he's pressing trying to make stuff happen. You can tell he's frustrated, but its more from just being hit so much......& the penalties.

It got Bill Obrien'd, that's what happened to the back shoulder pass.

Cunningham is getting exposed...
I told my wife...."Damn, Cunningham is getting beat like a soapy dick!" She says, Huh? LOL, poor thing.
We went back to the tailgate at halftime for free beer. Hell, I made it to the middle of the 3rdQ at last years opener, and that was a massacre. I was completely uninterested. If the players are, then I can be too.

State of the Texans@SOTTexans
https://twitter.com/SOTTexans/status/1044617700511809536

Inside Look: Nine Things We Learned in the Houston Texans Loss to the New York Giants http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2018/09/25/inside-look-nine-things-we-learned-in-the-houston-texans-loss-to-the-new-york-giants/ …

11:00 AM - Sep 25, 2018

Deshaun Watson started his 9th game with the Texans and the team is 3-6 in those games. Watson has had a quarterback rating of over 90.0 in eight of those games and over a 100.0 in five. Against the Giants, Watson produced his 7th multi-touchdown pass game and is doing enough on his part to breathe some life into the Texans offense. Watson is doing his part as a quarterback, although it might be too much if we are being honest. The Texans defense has let him down more times than not and that was the case against the Giants. Add in the fact that the offense had no running game, Watson was a one-man show, allowing the opposing defense the chance to pin their ears back and go get the quarterback. The Texans have to find ways to take pressure off of Watson, who is carrying the complete load of the team. In the NFL, if that is the case, there will be not many wins until both defense and special teams hold up their end of the bargain.

The recipe for disaster started early for the Texans in pregame when Senio Kelemete was injured, resulting in Greg Mancz starting at left guard. The Texans faced their first true 4-3 defense and the presence of Dalvin Tomlinson and Snacks Harrison upfront for the Giants created a poor effort on the ground for the Texans. Alfred Blue averaged 3.3 yards a rush while Lamar Miller averaged 1 yard per carry. The lack of running game got the Texans into issues when they really needed to run the ball and help Watson when needed. The Texans cannot produce that type of effort again on offense.

It took Eli Manning slicing the Texans up in the first half to force the Texans to up their defensive looks in the second quarter but he still did what he wanted through the air. The Giants attacked linebacker Zach Cunningham who gave up 4 receptions on 5 targets for 54 yards, 5 first downs, 1 pass interference call, and a touchdown. Cunningham started strongly this season but teams have opted to spread him out, either covering in the slot or wide. It is hard to see any linebacker succeeding in those spots especially someone as talented as Cunningham. If he wants to stay on the field, Cunningham is going to have to show that he can start covering at a high level.

Starting right tackle Julién Davenport had his worst game as a professional and the mental mistakes were the biggest issue for him. He is currently responsible for 25% of the Texans penalties on the season with 5 false starts and 3 holding calls. This past weekend, he had a holding call that negated a DeAndre Hopkins touchdown reception, which is part of the red zone issue for the Texans. Head coach Bill O’Brien even acknowledged that the young right tackle is struggling and that there is ongoing evaluation happening with that spot.

Texans need to find a way to get Whitney Mercilus going for the defense and in a hurry. There have always been issues for the Texans getting Watt, Mercilus, and Jadeveon Clowney all running optimally on the field together. Watt and Clowney have done enough in their appearances on the field to feel good about where they currently are as players. Mercilus has had little impact for the defense but he did have a nice pass rush for which Angelo Blackson racked up the sack, however that has been about it. He is known as the technician off the edges but he has been anything but that for the defense. The team has to find a way to break him out of his funk.

It is appropriate to say that Will Fuller is turning into a prime-time player with Deshaun Watson as his quarterbacks. Now in six games together, the duo has combined for 9 touchdowns through the air and Fuller’s second consecutive 100-yard game this season while averaging 16.5 yards a reception. Fuller also showed his catch and run ability but additionally displayed the new strength he added by trucking over two defensive backs on different play, one of which resulted in a touchdown. That ups his totals with Watson to 26 receptions for 492 yards, averaging 18.9 yards per reception with 9 touchdowns.

Thanks for wasting a day of my life. J/k
But the truth is my back bone did hurt (and still hurting) such that I've been spending most of the time lying down for over a day now.

Do I go on and study the second game now or should I just toss them all in the trash bin, that is the question, LOL.

O'Brien didn't put his players in position to maximize their strength and to minimize their weaknesses; that's for sure.

Instead of Football 101, he has to try to be the smartest guy in the building. SMH.

Thanks for wasting a day of my life. J/k
But the truth is my back bone did hurt (and still hurting) such that I've been spending most of the time lying down for over a day now.

Do I go on and study the second game now or should I just toss them all in the trash bin, that is the question, LOL.

O'Brien didn't put his players in position to maximize their strength and to minimize their weaknesses; that's for sure.

Instead of Football 101, he has to try to be the smartest guy in the building. SMH.

I remember you used to like watching film and provided a good perspective. Hope you feel better, too bad there isnt enough excitement in those tapes to make it a fun exercise. I know Deshaun wasnt necessarily you're guy but I think everyone has moved on past that and only want to see this team play well. Im sure to the trained eye and inexperienced fan alike its becoming more and more evident what the issue is with this team.

I remember you used to like watching film and provided a good perspective. Hope you feel better, too bad there isnt enough excitement in those tapes to make it a fun exercise. I know Deshaun wasnt necessarily you're guy but I think everyone has moved on past that and only want to see this team play well. Im sure to the trained eye and inexperienced fan alike its becoming more and more evident what the issue is with this team.
I like Watson just fine, but I really don't want to see him running around too much. It's good to have a mobile QB, but it's always a double-edge sword.

I already knew I would cringe a lot entering the season with the O-line they have.
The more I watch the play calls, the more I fear for Watson.
O'Brien doesn't do him enough of a favor.

Geoff Schwartz‏Verified account@geoffschwartz
Oh my Texans OL... The Giants are missing a DT (only 10 on the field) right where the Texans are running the ball ... and they only gain 3 yards.
1f631.png
Should be a touchdown from the 5.
VIDEO

Back