Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Colts at Texans, Sunday Night Oct 16, 2016!!

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Well, the moment of growth might be for Brock to see that he has more weapons other than Hopkins. Brock zeros in too much. Spreading the ball around gives you a better chance.

But this goes back to coaching, which also goes back offensive line play and playcalling.

I mean, where do you start here? It's no doubt that Brock looked like so much trash tonight...But did they learn something?
I kinda replied to this. I agree. I like seeing those three in different concepts. Force them to cover 5 guys with speed

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Great win. I don't care how bad they were early on when they found a way to get hot and take over the game. These kinds of wins build confidence and courage in teams. Hopefully they can grow from here. At the end of the day this team that everyone acts like is so bad is 4-2 with the same record as the Steelers, Ravens, and broncos. :chickendance:

CstatTexan

Waterboy
Let's be honest. The entire city wants this to be a turning point but a lot of us are skeptical. This isn't the Indy that so many of us remember, basically beating indy is like beating the bengals in the playoffs at this point. They aren't a good team and we should be beating them by a couple of scores. Nobody wants to cheer for this team more than I do. (Don't make me dig up my night before christmas poem early this year!) But we're also accustomed to seeing frauds from this team. How many times have we had a landmark win only to follow it up with two landmark losses. Yes, its a win. Yes, we're 4-2. Last year we were 2-5 and thought the season was over. We're gonna know very quickly if this was a legitimate turning point.
Not trying to call you out specifically. But some people on this border claim all day and night that we're the worst team in the league and yet these people are the first ones to scream how we're suppose to completely shutout the colts.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Not trying to call you out specifically. But some people on this border claim all day and night that we're the worst team in the league and yet these people are the first ones to scream how we're suppose to completely shutout the colts.
Always play division rivals tough. Once in a blue moon do you achieve an anomaly and blow them out

Texansballer74

The Marine
Brock made some clutch throws. Hopefully this will be the confidence builder he so desperately needs.

Lamar Miller was huge tonight. For some reason I knew he would have a breakout game.

Props to the offensive line tonight. Like I said they are the catalyst of this offense.

Defense defense and more defense. Great freaking job.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
The Bishop ‏@BillBishopKHOU
#Texans Bill O'Brien on how Brock improved late in the game, "I think we called plays that he liked and he executed them." #khou #HouNews
Okay, Bill, well can you continue to call plays that Brock "likes?"

If Brock can quit forcing throws into Hopkins then we might have something.

90% of Brock's suckiness comes from not reading the field. When he spreads the ball around we have more of a chance.

False Start

On # 69
Not once have I said this team doesn't need to improve. But if you can't be proud of your team from coming back down 2 scores to win in overtime, you need a break. That or you don't properly understand the level of competition in the NFL.
I said I was happy, did I not? I even did the "Carlton Dance." :littlelol:

That was cool!

Trust me bud I understand my NFL completely, especially Houston pro football, I've been there done that for over 35 years. :smiliepalm:

It's all good man, I'm not trying to argue with you. You have your way, and I have mine, that's pretty much it. :texflag:

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
It's one thing to play well in a game....in general and quite another to play out of your mind after sucking azz most of the game.

For that to be possible means that he may just have IT.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't think anybody is claiming we're the worst team in the league, we're far from that but this works like the Richter scale. The power teams are like a 9 and right now, this team is a 5. Sure, maybe you grow from here, but to this point you are a team that has a lot of talent, can do some damage but at the end of the day isn't that special. A lot of the people that you're seeing here that are complaining were here saying the same kind of stuff you're saying right now in 2005 (I was here) and everyone was saying we were (after going 7-9) about to turn the corner. We went 2-14. They are the same people that were excited when we started 2-0 in 2010... then were cheering their asses off when we were 12-4... I was at the first playoff game with a lot of these guys. These guys are genuine fans who have had their hearts broken... And yeah, we should shut out the colts. These people want a good team... not a team that wins 9 or 10 games only to get their doors blown off when they get to the playoffs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
TEs combined for 9 catches 115 yards & a TD.

You know what might have sparked the change in Osweiler?

The home crowd booing his aszz. He probably realized the honeymoon is over & whoever he might be blaming, the fans were blaming him.

So good job you fans who went to the game & made it known you're tired of shitty QB play.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Okay, Bill, well can you continue to call plays that Brock "likes?"

If Brock can quit forcing throws into Hopkins then we might have something.

90% of Brock's suckiness comes from not reading the field. When he spreads the ball around we have more of a chance.
Translation, we called plays that he knew well enough to execute when he has to contend with a terrible OL.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
TEs combined for 9 catches 115 yards & a TD.

You know what might have sparked the change in Osweiler?

The home crowd booing his aszz. He probably realized the honeymoon is over & whoever he might be blaming, the fans were blaming him.

So good job you fans who went to the game & made it known you're tired of shitty QB play.
nah. there was a change in playcalling... a drastic one. That may have been triggered by the booing tho

Max

Veteran
Os was playing very poorly the entire game and Chris Collins' made a great comment late in the 4th quarter about him -- something like 'this is where you become the quarterback of the Texans and silence the nay sayers'. I think we can all hope that this was an accurate statement and Os can get his mojo going now. He desperately needed something like this for him to get on track this season.

Last edited:

Max

Veteran
We need to see Miller (13), Ervin, and Miller (26) in some passing routes. Need some route concepts that gets one or two of them in space. Maybe a few crossing routes, 4 wide/5 wide with Hop/Fuller. If the D wants to bring heat against our banged up line all day we need to make them choose. stack those three one one side and challenge the D to cover them as they break out... DHop/Fuller on the other side to prevent the safety from sitting on the trips right. Those three can play in space. Dare the def to try to keep sending people.

I honestly don't like a lot of the concepts we use. Our TE's aren't good enough (in general) in space or up the seam to attract much attention. Yes they are doing better but they aren't attracting attention. We need to force the D back on their heels. I want to test the 4th/5th corners and safetys against our 4/5 receivers.
I don't disagree with any of your analysis, I just feel like none of this is possible when Os is throwing the ball as inaccurately as he has been. I still feel like he needs easier throws at the beginning of the game to get him in a rhythm which will improve his confidence and accuracy. Then mix in the types of plays you are referring to. I put that on BOB and the play calling.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
nah. there was a change in playcalling... a drastic one. That may have been triggered by the booing tho
I think the change in play calling was because we were down by two scores with less than 7 minutes to play.

We went away from running the ball & that was working.

if you watched the halftime show they showed a play where Strong was open in the end zone, if Brock would have just thrown the ball, but he didn't. He took the check down short of the sticks & we had to kick a field goal.

Same thing in Minnesota. The plays were there, Brock was either late, missed them, or just decided to be safe.

I'm hoping it was something in Brock that changed, because that's what we need.

Last edited:

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't disagree with any of your analysis, I just feel like none of this is possible when Os is throwing the ball as inaccurately as he has been. I still feel like he needs easier throws at the beginning of the game to get him in a rhythm which will improve his confidence and accuracy. Then mix in the types of plays you are referring to. I put that on BOB and the play calling.
That's part of what I am trying to accomplish. He's inaccurate because (in my opinion) doesn't trust his line. When we let teams line up safetys and pin their ears back... really, when we ask our OL to block for more than 4 or 5 seconds, he knows its going to end with him looking up at the lights. We need routes that open early and are easy to throw. So we really agree.

Reactions: Max

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just heard the "we called plays he likes"... Yeah, we did. You know what they had in common? All of the throws he was making were quick. I wonder why he likes them.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
Brock didn't play a bad game for a half. He played a bad game until the last 5 minutes then took advantage of some really crappie prevent defense. The Colts lost this game, Oz didn't win it.
Sure, the Colts lost but Os made some throws late to help us win. The TD to Fiedorowicz was a thing of beauty and the pass to Strong was brilliant.

Max

Veteran
That's part of what I am trying to accomplish. He's inaccurate because (in my opinion) doesn't trust his line. When we let teams line up safetys and pin their ears back... really, when we ask our OL to block for more than 4 or 5 seconds, he knows its going to end with him looking up at the lights. We need routes that open early and are easy to throw. So we really agree.
If this is what it takes to get Os to get a quick/easy throw early in the game -- I'm all for it. Even a couple of throws to the rb out of the backfield would work for me -- just get him into a rhythm early in the game. I have yet to see it in any of our games and I think BOB is a dumb ass for not recognizing this.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Sure, the Colts lost but Os made some throws late to help us win. The TD to Fiedorowicz was a thing of beauty and the pass to Strong was brilliant.
Yeah, they were great throws, but they were quick throws. I think that was huge.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If this is what it takes to get Os to get a quick/easy throw early in the game -- I'm all for it. Even a couple of throws to the rb out of the backfield would work for me -- just get him into a rhythm early in the game. I have yet to see it in any of our games and I think BOB is a dumb ass for not recognizing this.
As negative as some may have seen me be this year, it has been directed at the OL. We can't continue to ask them to block for a long time. I think we try to get too cute and "game plan". It might work when you have a solid OL but it won't work here until we get better up there. We need to get miller going. What worries me about the future is that we can't grind out runs. Miller was breaking long runs... but if we play somebody who can play the run, we can't really force them to be honest. I don't think we can expect our RBs to go 4.3 ypc for 140 yards. If we don't get long runs we aren't going to march down with out them. That's why I like what you're saying.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Is it just me or were we trying to change the launching point early in the game? It really seemed like he was drifting right all night... sometimes it looked like it was designed. When he was playing in the 4th I didn't see it (I haven't watched it again yet). I felt like he was back, 5 step drops back foot hits step up and let it go. The most impressive thing to me is that he was putting the ball up and letting his guy go. Stop staring down your receivers though.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Yeah, they were great throws, but they were quick throws. I think that was huge.
That's what I've been saying for three weeks. Quick hitters to recievers will break open longer plays, just as the run game opens up play action. This isn't rocket science.

And when I say "recievers" I'm mostly talking about tight ends. We should start with the tight ends early and often. Don't force the ball to the player(s) that the opposing team have been working their asses off all week to gameplan for. Throw them for a loop. At the start of a game you know the defense is keyed up to stop Hopkins. Let that battle simmer a bit and then talk to your play makers about what they're seeing out there. Based upon that, you should be able to call plays and execute with a much better knowledge.

Being methodical and moving those chains will wear the opposition down. Football 101 (I would think).

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
That's what I've been saying for three weeks. Quick hitters to recievers will break open longer plays, just as the run game opens up play action. This isn't rocket science.

And when I say "recievers" I'm mostly talking about tight ends. We should start with the tight ends early and often. Don't force the ball to the player(s) that the opposing team have been working their asses off all week to gameplan for. Throw them for a loop. At the start of a game you know the defense is keyed up to stop Hopkins. Let that battle simmer a bit and then talk to your play makers about what they're seeing out there. Based upon that, you should be able to call plays and execute based upon a much better knowledge.

Being methodical and moving those chains will wear the opposition down. Football 101 (I would think).
Again I say that the reason people call Belichick multiple is he caters to his playmakers skills, but he and the Patriots run a basic shell. Between the tackle runs and Brady stretching linebackers horizontally and within 5-10 yard between the hashes.

Brock should be eating up the coverage we see in this area with Fido, Griffin, Anderson, B. Miller, Strong and most importantly Lamar Miller. Finally we got Lamar into space instead of running him directly into a Guards back and look what happened. The linebackers had to respect Miller and Fido broke open for the tying TD.

Example of Patriots utilizing simple football knowledge and attacking where the defense is the weakest.

IMG_0975.PNG

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
I was watching game on gamecast(play by play) on NFL.com off and on at my office. I was frustrated for the most of the game and had to leave for a short meeting. And, came back and slowly try to peak the final score as I thought we may ended up getting L. Then, I saw OT on gamecast and couldn't believe we tied the game. I reschedule my meeting to tomorrow as it wan't that important to begin with. I got off work as fast as I could and just got home awhile ago and watched the game. Loved our last 5~6mins of the game. Our SP was good. Loved the sack by Hal and McKinney. Loved O of last 5~6mins of the game.

Go Texans!!!

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Great to get the W in a huge comeback and it was nice to see Brock lead the O down field like that.

Just have to hope that is the turning point right there because the performance through 3 quarters was really ugly. And against a poor D as well, where you might excuse the Minn and Pats performances for being against good D's.

Miller's day was epic and the line has DB back which is massive.

Hope the JD injury was nothing serious as he was in pain at the end there.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Just enjoy the win guys. Osweiler bounced back from an awful start and played pretty well in the second. Give credit where credit is due.

If he plays like 2nd half Osweiler the rest of the season, he's earned his contract IMO

Nobody said they weren't enjoying the win. Telling the truth and saying Os was warm poo on a stick for most of the game doesn't mean we didn't enjoy the 10 minutes or so that the Texans offense showed up. That was great and I look forward to a time when we can see that happening for the majority of the 60 minutes and not just after the stands have emptied.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Credit to the handful of posters that stayed through the entire game. I definitely clocked out after we were blocking ourselves on offense. It was great reading the rest of the game thread; some really funny posts. I may go back and watch the rest of the game but probably not.

Sounds like play calling changed and suddenly the offense woke up. I think OB has fallen in love with WFV deep threat ability and has forgotten about everyone else's strengths on offense. Variety is the spice of life, Bill. Again, we need to put our playmakers in positions to make plays and stop pigeon holing the entire offense.

Credit to the defense. They defended well against the Colts and the Texans (inept) offense.

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
The only way you can say something like that is if you've had your head stuck up the same donkeys stink star since the start of the season and just popped it out like a groundhog.
+1 for "stink star", going to have to steal that one. I/m familiar with so many, many other ones but never heard that one before. You have added to the lexicon sir, I applaud you!

Max

Veteran
Colts #29 made me chuckle on the CJ Fido touchdown. You conveniently come up gimpy after whiffing on the tackle that let us back in the game? Maybe a legit injury but anyone who has played sports can tell you a time that they've come up limping after making an ass out of themselves in front of an audience. 3 things on the play: 1. Great pass by Os 2. Great concentration and catch in traffic by CJ -- so far this season I don't remember any drops and maybe he's a better pass catcher than we thought. 3. It actually wasn't that bad of a play by #29 Mike Adams. He was 1/4 inch from putting his hat on the ball and dislodging it which may have ended the game in favor of the Colts.

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
No matter how much I like or don't like the direction of the offense or the QB, winning games behind 2TDs with that little time left is still quality work that does not happen more than a handful of times in a season throughout the entire league

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Our last drive of the half came with something like 30 seconds left in the half. we ran a couple of plays, looks like just to see if we can get something going. We ended up taking a knee with 10 seconds or so to go into halftime.

The drive before that started with 6:55 seconds left in the 2nd qtr at the 18 yard line. We drove the length of the field, but settled for a FG. Not a bad drive.

Our first drive of the 3rd Qtr also started around our twenty. We drove the length of the field for a TD. This is when Novak missed the PAT.

That drive took several minutes off the clock. So did Indy's following drive. This is the drive Mercilus gets called for a facemask on a sack that would have forced a punt... it was 13-9 at this time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That drive took several minutes off the clock. So did Indy's following drive. This is the drive Mercilus gets called for a facemask on a sack that would have forced a punt... it was 13-9 at this time.
If you can't tell, I'm rewatching this game now.

Mercilus redeems himself on this drive. For whatever reason Pagano goes for it on 4th down. Clowney takes away a throwing lane & Whitney gets a sack to kill the drive.

Osweiler then throws his obligatory INT, Luck runs it in for 6

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Mercilus redeems himself on this drive. For whatever reason Pagano goes for it on 4th down. Clowney takes away a throwing lane & Whitney gets a sack to kill the drive.

I've already rewatched it; especially the ending (which I had dissected.)

I'm not going to go into this today, though.
LOL.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame

He didn't want to settle for a FG. The Colts wanted to go up 2 scores. Especially when it was 3rd & inches and 4th & inches that they had to convert.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He didn't want to settle for a FG. The Colts wanted to go up 2 scores. Especially when it was 3rd & inches and 4th & inches that they had to convert.
Well it would have bit him in the asz if Osweiler didn't bail him out. We were gaining the momentum at that time & his defense wasn't playing that well. Our two previous possessions were long scoring drives.

Texansballer74

The Marine
We are watching CJ become a really good catching tight end right before our eyes. Teams will have to game for him, which will open up so much for this offense.

Lamar Miller was on a mission last night. He ran the ball with a purpose. Something he wasn't doing in the previous games.

The offensive line was pretty darn good in both areas. We finally were able to get to the next level on our blocking.

Brock started off so darn bad the fans would boo him every time he missed his target. But oh boy he was on fire in the 4th and OT. You talk about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde .

Finally the coaches took my advice. Hahaha they put Hopkins in motion and put him stack formation that way he's not be jammed at the line of scrimmage.

Plus the creativity was much better.

Love it