Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Colts at Texans, Sunday Dec 9th, 2018!!

See how you attempt to use emotion in a logical discussion? "You guys just wont ever like Bill" .. when you can't even acknowledge Bill had his fair share of blame yesterday!! It's insanity.

Frank Reich took an aggressive defense out of the game by pass blocking with 6OL and Max protect with 7 at times. Luck only needed 2-3 receivers to do his thing in a relaxed pocket. I just wonder why Obrien can't employ similar solutions to such an obvious flaw.

Indy has a better OL and they weren't taking any chances. That's coaching.

Again I'm not crucifying O'Brien, just making sure he isn't forgotten when it comes time to point fingers.

He can be better next week. THEY ALL CAN.

No emotion here.

Let me break this down to the most simple terms for you.

The Colts beat the Texans because Luck had a better game yesterday than Watson did. Luck was finding/hitting open guys much better than Watson was. I know you dont think that's possible but it's true and the receivers were open and there to make plays.

Now I cant wait for you to call me a Watson hater, which cant be further from the truth. Watson won me over in the Dallas/Jacksonville games because he's a very tough guy who deals with adversity well. He's just a young QB and he's going to make mistakes like ALL young QB's do. Watson isn't the messiah.

No emotion here.

Let me break this down to the most simple terms for you.

The Colts beat the Texans because Luck had a better game yesterday than Watson did. Luck was finding/hitting open guys much better than Watson was. I know you dont think that's possible but it's true and the receivers were open and there to make plays.

Now I cant wait for you to call me a Watson hater, which cant be further from the truth. Watson won me over in the Dallas/Jacksonville games because he's a very tough guy who deals with adversity well. He's just a young QB and he's going to make mistakes like ALL young QB's do. Watson isn't the messiah.

IT WAS A 3 POINT GAME!!! Do you not understand that it boiled down to a bunch of little things? It was not just Watson or the OL.

AND NOT ONE SENTENCE OF CRITICISM FOR THE HEAD COACH??

Hilarious.

IT WAS A 3 POINT GAME!!! Do you not understand that it boiled down to a bunch of little things? It was not just Watson or the OL.

AND NOT ONE SENTENCE OF CRITICISM FOR THE HEAD COACH??

Hilarious.

Because he had a good gameplan.

Not one criticism of the defense playing a bad game. I'm sure it was BOB's fault Clowney jumped offsides costing the Texans a chance to win the game.

Sometimes the gameplan can be a good one and the players just dont execute.

agree.
TK Oline did their jobs for most part. #4 just did too much incorrectly. He didn't look lost like he did two games ago so not sure how much we can point finger at OBrien this time. .

I'm not blaming BO'b. Right now I'm wondering what Watson is seeing & calling at the line.

I've noticed that Watson has developed self-sacking abilities the last few games and I'm not pleased at all. Not only does he seem oblivious to pressure coming in from the sides, once he moves chances are he'll trip himself up :/
It's been more than the last few games. His pocket awareness isn't very good right now - a lot of times he's actually scrambling into pressure when he could have stayed or stepped up in the pocket. Can't really blame him for being skittish behind this OLine when they were turnstiles at the beginning of the season. Hot route, throw it away or run up field if there's a lane.

Per Barshop, The Colts blitzed Deshaun Watson on 12 of his 46 dropbacks. On those 12 blitzes, the Colts recorded three sacks, according to @ESPNStatsInfo. Entering the game, the Colts had just seven sacks when blitzing this season, tied for the sixth fewest in the NFL.

When a QB is getting blitzed, he is supposed to get rid of the ball as soon as possible, one way or another...............into the hands of a receiver............or into the stands. Watson, for all of his good traits, has never been able to manage blitzes smartly or effectively. The Colts decided to try to capitalize on his obvious deficiency.............and capitalize they did. Meanwhile, Luck was lightning fast getting rid of the ball when he needed to.

Running around in circles to avoid the rush may give the impression of skilled creativity at times, but more than not is unproductive............and many times counterproductive............especially when swinging a loaf of bread around like invitational red meat.

My biggest problem with this game.....and basically the other 12 games:

How many ducking times in a game are the Texans going to continue to face 2nd down and between 12-14? If there's a stat for this, then the Texans have to be ranked #1 in the NFL. This dreadful start on first downs continue to hamstring this offense and put Watson and the OL in a hole b/c defenses are pinning their ears back on 2nd and 3rd downs. O'Brien is far to predictable to remain the teams OC going forward.

Just once, I'd love to see O'Brien come out and decide he's going to outsmart the opposing DC by going up-tempo, no-huddle, with a quick slant passing attack right out of the gate. Why, b/c every ducking DC in the NFL knows they must have their run stop personnel on the field at the start of the game, so if O'Brien runs a no-huddle up-tempo offense, the DC is going to have to burn a TO to get the right personnel on the field. By the time the DC realizes this, how far down the field are the Texans. O'Brien could possibly dictate how the opposing team reacts to his offense versus being fully prepared and then having what they were fully prepared for delivered to them on a silver platter.

Texans were getting blown up in the run. I noticed the 2nd and 14 happened a lot. Made for a lot of 3rd and long.

Why didn’t we use the pass to set up the run?

And why not involve the tight ends more?

O'Brien at his 11am presser:

- Game boiled down to 6-8 plays where Colts executed better. Put tendencies on HIMSELF.

- offense had 4-5 3 and outs while Colts were scoring points.

Said special teams were bad, and was giving the defense a hard time about Hilton going crazy.

Summed it up by saying it was a combination of poor execution and poor play calling.

On to New York.

Per Barshop, The Colts blitzed Deshaun Watson on 12 of his 46 dropbacks. On those 12 blitzes, the Colts recorded three sacks, according to @ESPNStatsInfo. Entering the game, the Colts had just seven sacks when blitzing this season, tied for the sixth fewest in the NFL.

When a QB is getting blitzed, he is supposed to get rid of the ball as soon as possible, one way or another...............into the hands of a receiver............or into the stands. Watson, for all of his good traits, has never been able to manage blitzes smartly or effectively. The Colts decided to try to capitalize on his obvious deficiency.............and capitalize they did. Meanwhile, Luck was lightning fast getting rid of the ball when he needed to.

Running around in circles to avoid the rush may give the impression of skilled creativity at times, but more than not is unproductive............and many times counterproductive............especially when swinging a loaf of bread around like invitational red meat.

Have you ever taken a peek at Lucks rookie season vs Watson rookie season.

Isnt it a stretch to expect Watson to match up with the best QB prospect to come out in the last decade in his 20th pro game?

He deserves some criticism no doubt but some guys are going too far.

Have you ever taken a peek at Lucks rookie season vs Watson rookie season.

Isnt it a stretch to expect Watson to match up with the best QB prospect to come out in the last decade in his this guy is not going too far. 20th pro game?

He deserves some criticism no doubt but some guys are going too far.
This guy"is not going too far. You can look at even rookies like Mahone to see a better job of getting the ball out and/or away. I didn't mean to specifically compare Watson to Luck, although I do see how that could be interpreted. It was only meant to be a contemporary in-game comparison. This season, there is no doubt that he has demonstrated the traits that I described in my post. My point is that I would like to see some veering away from habits he has brought with him from college and do not tend to translate very well to the NFL. At one point in time the rookie label is going to have to be dropped. He already has 20 games under his belt. I want Watson to succeed, but he needs to learn some simple things like that loaf of bread he's carrying around can become much more expensive in the NFL than it was in college.

Overall I can't say I'm too disappointed in the loss, always prefer a win but you never win them all - and I still look at yesterday as a winnable game even though it looked like we were dominated clean up a few mistakes and could have been a different story.

Yeah. As bad as we played in every aspect of the game, to lose by three... eh.. on to next week.

This guy"is not going too far. You can look at even rookies like Mahone to see a better job of getting the ball out and/or away. I didn't mean to specifically compare Watson to Luck, although I do see how that could be interpreted. It was only meant to be a contemporary in-game comparison. This season, there is no doubt that he has demonstrated the traits that I described in my post. My point is that I would like to see some veering away from habits he has brought with him from college and do not tend to translate very well to the NFL. At one point in time the rookie label is going to have to be dropped. He already has 20 games under his belt. I want Watson to succeed, but he needs to learn some simple things like that loaf of bread he's carrying around can become much more expensive in the NFL than it was in college.

I'll take Watson's first 20 games up against any QB in history. He doesnt have a genius offensive mind spoon feeding him easy play after easy play. Horrendous OL. Depleted WRs. What Deshaun Watson has done under the circumstances is nothing short of a miracle and a testament to the pedigree he is and how he can flourish in less than ideal situations.

I can see being hyper critical about issues that still present themselves after 5 years (cough buttchin cough) but it's still JUST 20 games. Some guys even tear down his good games. When he struggles he's hurt again or just being redundant in his mistakes. You have to understand the context and the progression he needs to make. He will get better, much better. I know you hate the way he carries the ball, but he's 23 and thinks he's bulletproof .. didn't we all at that age? He will figure out how to be consistent sooner rather than later.

I'll take Watson's first 20 games up against any QB in history. He doesnt have a genius offensive mind spoon feeding him easy play after easy play. Horrendous OL. Depleted WRs. What Deshaun Watson has done under the circumstances is nothing short of a miracle and a testament to the pedigree he is and how he can flourish in less than ideal situations.

I can see being hyper critical about issues that still present themselves after 5 years (cough buttchin cough) but it's still JUST 20 games. Some guys even tear down his good games. When he struggles he's hurt again or just being redundant in his mistakes. You have to understand the context and the progression he needs to make. He will get better, much better. I know you hate the way he carries the ball, but he's 23 and thinks he's bulletproof .. didn't we all at that age? He will figure out how to be consistent sooner rather than later.

Hope you're right.

Think you re going to be right.

If you're wrong he wont last long in the league.

Troll alert, troll alert. I'll put doc's posts up against anyone else's, including my own and he'll come out smelling like a rose. Doc is an extremely well respected member of this forum and provides valuable insight to other Texans fans. Ban this troll already.

tenor.gif

I've seen the Ravens and Broncos go on strange championship runs over the last 5 years. It can happen. There are no juggernauts in football, all can be beaten.

How do you think the Pats feel today? This year is prime for a dark horse.

My man..... did you just compare this wildly inconsistent Defense to the Ravens or the Broncos there super bowl year !!???? We not that good or should I say we have the talent but I haven’t seen us dominate like them at all..... I’ve seen great quarters and halves......., haven’t seen them put it together a full game yet...... are you watching us let the Rookie back in the game now!!???

My man..... did you just compare this wildly inconsistent Defense to the Ravens or the Broncos there super bowl year !!???? We not that good or should I say we have the talent but I haven’t seen us dominate like them at all..... I’ve seen great quarters and halves......., haven’t seen them put it together a full game yet...... are you watching us let the Rookie back in the game now!!???

They are playing way above their talent level.

Have you heard OB botch about talent?

Yeah. It's the only quote steelb believes from him where he says I coach what they give me. Now I chalk that up to frustration after a loss but take it as you will.

Jimmy Johnson was his own GM.

He wasn't saddled with 5 yrs of Rick Smith.

This is why he had guys like Emmitt/Novacheck/Tueniu/Stepnoski etc... on his OL and not the Millers/Jordan's/and a crap OL.

Jimmy pulled a Kubiak and brought in the best power OL coach, Hudson Houck. Took a hodge podge and gave up less than 200 sacks in a decade. Gibbs and Houck are the gold standard for coaching and scheme can raise talent.

Not sure why Emmitt and Novacek were in that.

Yeah. It's the only quote steelb believes from him where he says I coach what they give me. Now I chalk that up to frustration after a loss but take it as you will.

Jimmy pulled a Kubiak and brought in the best power OL coach, Hudson Houck. Took a hodge podge and gave up less than 200 sacks in a decade. Gibbs and Houck are the gold standard for coaching and scheme can raise talent.

Not sure why Emmitt and Novacek were in that.

Cant stand what comes out of BOB's own mouth, and somehow you find a way to discount his own words and by proxy my post. Great attempt to try to distort the truth counselor. Epic fail....

This is the difference when you're your own GM. You get to call the shots and sign people like Novacheck in FA/ trade up to pick Emmitt/ Pick a guy like Eric Williams who had a troubled past in the 3rd rd. etc... you can do these types of things when you dont have, 1. A mandate from the owner allowing you to only pick certain type guys. 2. The albatross Rick Smith was making the final call on FA/Drafts.

BTW, I wish BOB would hire a guy like Houck or Gibbs and let them make the call on the OL they want drafted in next yrs draft. Not a guy like Devlin who thought it would be a good idea to draft a project with slow feet like Davenport. (Devlin worked out Davenport before the draft.)

Cant stand what comes out of BOB's own mouth, and somehow you find a way to discount his own words and by proxy my post. Great attempt to try to distort the truth counselor. Epic fail....

Epic fail is you taking one frustrated quote over ten others. But we've been over this.

It's Novacek. Corrected it once. Classic example of this "no talent" BS. Two teams didn't see him as a starter. Comes to Dallas and becomes a perennial probowler. Coaching makes a difference.

No.....but I haven't seen him do anything about it either. How did everyone on Kirby miss out on the OL except the fans.

Who were the fans on that the team missed out on? Also, take into account the team didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick due to the previous administration and there was only one marquee free agent OL.

Epic fail is you taking one frustrated quote over ten others. But we've been over this.

It's Novacek. Corrected it once. Classic example of this "no talent" BS. Two teams didn't see him as a starter. Comes to Dallas and becomes a perennial probowler. Coaching makes a difference.

Some people have a better eye for talent than others.

Example: Jimmy Johnson vs Rick Smith.

I notice how you skipped the part about trading up for a HOF'er in Emmitt and taking a guy like Eric Williams/Stepnoski in the 3rd rd. (Sorry if I've misspelled names but you get the jist.) Tell me about the 3rd rd picks Ricky made since BOB's been here, I would love to see that list. We wont even talk about the KJo's/Trevardo William's of the world.

Yet in Gaine's 1st yr they found an all pro level S in the 3rd rd. Ironic

Who were the fans on that the team missed out on? Also, take into account the team didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick due to the previous administration and there was only one marquee free agent OL.

I've stated many times that Gaine hit a HR on his first daft....especially with no RD1 or RD2 picks. Since OB has been on board the OL has gotten progressively worse each and every year. I can blame RS....which I've done plenty of times but I' also have balked OB b/c he's never hired a top notch OL Coach, he's never settled his scheme or established a blocking scheme and most importantly, if the talent RS was shite.....why didn't he ever sit down with McNair and tell him RS is burying his offense b/c of failed draft picks and FA acquisitions on the OL.

Back