Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

Coach will make sure Brock is ready for the regular season.

And jokers he does have a track record of getting the best production out of that position.

Ask Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brain Hoyerrible

DB, thanks for the complement. I've got my "fingers crossed" too! When you talked about the "clutch factor" being your 3rd intangible trait, I was trying to remember if Brock had already exhibited that trait and the 1st thing that came to mind was the Denver/NE game last year. I watched some clips from that game and they give you a little snippet of what could be here in the future. Just click on the Video tab and go to the Osweiler highlights. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015112911/2015/REG12/patriots@broncos

Good example, man. Dude was a backup that did not crumple and wilt against one of the best teams in the league (and defending Super Bowl champs).

From the Interwebz
vanilla
Unexciting, normal, conventional, boring.

Just like vanilla ice cream, it's meh
not unlike our offense the other night
:)

Okay, gotta' get technical with it. But, what flavor do you start with to make sundaes and banana splits and parfaits? You start with vanilla and then start adding the extras!

OB has a "gameplan offense" mentality. We are not going to see much game planning in preseason games. They do not know what tendencies the opposing teams are running, they are focusing on fundamentals, and they certainly do not want to tip their hand to reveal anything that could be used by the Bears in week 1.

His metaphor about off-season/pre-season was learning tools for the toolbox, so week-to-week, they pull out whatever tools are needed for that specific opponent. He said last year that the point of pre-season (for him) was reps, evaluations, and learning concepts more than winning the games.

I didn't like the signing from the get-go (heck I didn't like him as a draft choice, all 'really tall with a decent arm - and no quarterback), and I think I've done well to bite my tongue since the first few rants. What I'm growing very tired of is his 'it's only camp, it's only preseason, he'll need time to adjust' treatment. Brock is NOT a rookie. He's in his 5th season in the NFL. He spent the last 4 seasons behind Peyton Manning (2x Superbowl Champ QB). He lived with and was tutored by John Elway (2x Superbowl Champ QB, 1x Superbowl Champ Executive). He was benched on a Superbowl run under Gary Kubiak (4x Superbowl Champ coach). He should be getting the Aaron Rodgers treatment during preseason with all of that, not being blasted by every outlet for looking like ... well, looking like Brock Osweiler over the past 5 seasons.

I'll now go back to being quiet so that he can prove how awesome he'll be for my team.

And that same John Elway and Gary Kubiak (Superbowl Champs!) wanted Brock back to be starting QB of their team. Strange how that little fact did not make it into your rant. :hmmm:

What is "Aaron Rodgers treatment"? You are comparing one of the best QBs in the league right now to a guy with 7 starts under his belt.

He didn't make either of those guys go from mediocre to awesome. I'm hoping OB can make Os really good, but he has yet to turn any QB into "really good".

I'm hoping that Kubiak did better with Osweiler than he did with Keenum or Yates...

He didn't make either of those guys go from mediocre to awesome. I'm hoping OB can make Os really good, but he has yet to turn any QB into "really good".

Well consider the quality of clay he's had to mold with... Fitz, Hoyer, Keenum....not much there to make something "really good" with.

Osweiler is a significantly better quality of clay to mold with...he should get much better results with him than he had with any of the 7 guys he's used before.

He has been a head coach in the NFL for two seasons. Two. Not like he has been a head coach in the league for a decade and has Matt Schaub to show for it.

I didn't say he made them awesome. I said he got the best out of them.

Fitzpatrick had his best numbers of his career under Bill. Especially the TD to TO ratio.

Hoyer didn't turn the ball over much either. Unfortunately he choked big time in the playoffs.

I believe coach will get the very best out of Brock. They have built up a nice arsenal of weapons for him to utilize. Therefore, Brock is set up pretty good. Hopefully our starting tackles will be back soon. If not we are in trouble.

I didn't say he made them awesome. I said he got the best out of them.

Fitzpatrick had his best numbers of his career under Bill. Especially the TD to TO ratio. He arguably had a better year with the Jets....

Hoyer didn't turn the ball over much either. Unfortunately he choked big time in the playoffs.

I believe coach will get the very best out of Brock. They have built up a nice arsenal of weapons for him to utilize. Other than Hopkins, he will have some rookies and a running back that is new to the system and unproven if he can handle 25 or more touches per game. Therefore, Brock is set up pretty good. Hopefully our starting tackles will be back soon. If not we are in trouble.

What ever happened to the good ol' days of wait and see?

The good ol days consisted of pagers, cd's, newspapers and The NFL Today....

They've been replaced with Smart Phones, Message boards and instant opinions by every smart guy that can type.

He has been a head coach in the NFL for two seasons. Two. Not like he has been a head coach in the league for a decade and has Matt Schaub to show for it.

He's been coaching QBs since 2001... college sure, but do you know of any good QBs to come out of Georgia Tech or Duke? Penn State?

Best we got is Matt McGloin.

Last edited:
My only beef with O'Brien so far as a HC is that he has brought in some garbage men to be our QB. I am hoping that Os is not trash tier like Fitz was when he was brought in, or Hoyllet. I don't like chicken soup made from chickenshit, it's been two years of that and I am ready for a delicious steak. For better or worse Os is the QB for the next couple of seasons so it seems out of place to be irate over his performance in the preseason. I will be a little perturbed if I can't tell the difference between his play and Hoyer or Fitzpatrick by the end of the year.

My only beef with O'Brien so far as a HC is that he has brought in some garbage men to be our QB. I am hoping that Os is not trash tier like Fitz was when he was brought in, or Hoyllet. I don't like chicken soup made from chickenshit, it's been two years of that and I am ready for a delicious steak. For better or worse Os is the QB for the next couple of seasons so it seems out of place to be irate over his performance in the preseason. I will be a little perturbed if I can't tell the difference between his play and Hoyer or Fitzpatrick by the end of the year.

At least that Chickensoup was edible lol for a few bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz/Hoyer had their best seasons under BOB.

I dont like two 9-7 seasons either.

I don't think O'b ever really let Fitz play... except maybe that six TD game against the Titans. But other than that, O'b had him on a very short leash. Don't get me wrong, everything Fitz did before coming to Houston, he earned that short leash.

But they let him play in NY & they won 10 games. They're defense was good. Comparable to ours. But we were a top 5 running team I 2014. The Jets were ranked 10th in 2015.

It can be argued we could have won more games in 2014, had we not screwed around with Mallet & O'b didn't hold that leash so short.

I wouldn't buy it, but it could be argued.

Better than the 6-10 & 8-8 seasons that Kubiak gave us! Heck, it took Kubiak four seasons to produce a 9-7 record, and SIX seasons to get to the playoffs. At least O'Brien is doing something right in that regard.

Kubiak did start with a much, much worse team tho. He had a Casserly team

Better than the 6-10 & 8-8 seasons that Kubiak gave us! Heck, it took Kubiak four seasons to produce a 9-7 record, and SIX seasons to get to the playoffs. At least O'Brien is doing something right in that regard.
Kubiak inherited a horrible terrible team and was forced to spend a year with David Carr and O'Brien inherited a playoff caliber team with a great defense.

Actually Fitz had his best season EVER (yds, TDs, and wins) last year with the Jets (and got back with Chan Gailey), after he left O'Brien. So that lie needs to cease.
And Hoyer.... well, it remains to be seen if he ever gets another starting gig.

I'm talking about his career before the Jets. So that is not a lie, it's a fact.

Again I'm talking about how Coach Bob got the best out of two quarterbacks that were considered MEDIOCRITY at best.

Actually Fitz had his best season EVER (yds, TDs, and wins) last year with the Jets (and got back with Chan Gailey), after he left O'Brien. So that lie needs to cease.

Nah... not really. Fitz was the definition of a back up QB with a very mundane, we know what he is, history. His season here with us was his best season, all around, up until that season.

He left & had ano even better season, but when people talk about getting the best out of him, common sense says they're talking about better than any year he had before.

Now, I could look for it, but I won't. But there's a statement out there where Fitz said he learned more football from O'brien & Godsey in that one year he was here, than he learned the 11 seasons prior. So... you could still credit O'Brien for his 2015 season.

Kubiak inherited a horrible terrible team and was forced to spend a year with David Carr and O'Brien inherited a playoff caliber team with a great defense.

Still, I think Kubiak could have won more than six games in2006 if he didn't square peg every dang thing.

I get what you are saying. Would you expect better out of a rookie?

He, along with a bunch of others, actually would expect better from a rookie. Seems like most of the people who have criticized the signing of Brock, are pretty much the same ones who are upset because we didn't mortgage our future, by trading up for Goff or Wentz. If they want to play that game, then they need to accept that Goff is just not a good/smart QB. (Judging by his first preseason game performance with his new team.)

Nah... not really. Fitz was the definition of a back up QB with a very mundane, we know what he is, history. His season here with us was his best season, all around, up until that season.

He left & had ano even better season, but when people talk about getting the best out of him, common sense says they're talking about better than any year he had before.

Now, I could look for it, but I won't. But there's a statement out there where Fitz said he learned more football from O'brien & Godsey in that one year he was here, than he learned the 11 seasons prior. So... you could still credit O'Brien for his 2015 season.
Did you even check the link to his history I provided? If you had you would have seen that Fitz had some pretty decent seasons up in Buffalo with Chan Gailey; i.e., three years running with 24 TDs, give or take one (he had 17 here) and during those same years he passed for 3000 yds or better. When he got back with Gailey in NY, he had his best season ever. If you want to give O'Brien credit for Fitz's 2015 success, go right ahead. The stats tell me he played better in Gailey's offense.

Edit: To be clear I'm not saying Fitz is anywhere near franchise level; that's just crazy talk. In fact, I'd agree he's maaaaybe first tier backup level. But that's it.

Where was this great defense ranked Kubiak's last yr? How many turnovers did they produce?

Who was the QB of the team BOB inherited? Not worse than HWNSNBM?

Where was this great defense ranked Kubiak's last yr? How many turnovers did they produce?

Who was the QB of the team BOB inherited? Not worse than HWNSNBM?
Seriously? You've a QB who's throwing record number of pick sixes to lose game after game and you've to ask why the defense stopped performing and threw in the towel? Really? Good Grief!

He's been coaching QBs since 2001... college sure, but do you know of any good QBs to come out of Georgia Tech or Duke? Penn State?

Best we got is Matt McGloin.

Sure, but not continually. He has been a coach at the college/pro level since 1993. Before 2009 when he became the Pats QB coach, he had the following jobs that had QB coaching responsibility:

2001-02 - Georgia Tech (ironically, Godsey was his QB both years)
2005-06 - Duke

Neither of these schools are known for putting QB's into the NFL. I've never bought into the QB guru label for OB - or Kubiak for that matter - because of the advantages of having Elway, Brady, Manning and even Flacco.

What I do know is that he got FitzMagic to play the best he had played in his career to that point. Fitz even credits OB with some of the things he learned that helped him have a career year last year with the Jets. I do know that OB did a stellar job of game-planning for Keenum the last two games of 2014 and set him up to be successful for the Rams. I do know that he got something out of the trash heap of Weeden's career this last season after Dallas cut him. I do know that he has got a healthy Savage looking like he knows what the f*ck he is doing out there.

Is all of this turning chickensh!t into chicken salad? Probably. There is no good to great in any of these scenarios. But if a guy can take all of that mediocrity - not even having a mention about Hoyer or Mallett - and turn it into winning records, I am going to be a bit more patient that some around here with Brock's development. Maybe his ceiling is making sh!t not stink. We shall see this year.

That Savage's wife is hotter than Brock's?
Mrs. Savage
10522191_785824114772090_956203058_n.jpg

Mrs. Osweiler...
brock-osweiler-erin-osweiler-3.jpg

hmmmm, tough call
:)

Back