Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Offensive Line - Sacks Allowed (2015)

Newton has got to go! I can't remember which game it was, I think it was against the Patriots when he let QB get sacked like 3 times in a row. This guy is garbage!

Newton has got to go! I can't remember which game it was, I think it was against the Patriots when he let QB get sacked like 3 times in a row. This guy is garbage!

and do what to replace him?
Pick one up in FA or Draft a RT like they should of last year. Don't know why you keep defending Newton he is, was and always will be a below average RT. At some point the "he was playing injured" excuse has to stop.

Ok.

I wouldn't be surprised if they let Brooks walk.

I wouldn't be suprised either. They should re-sign Brooks though (They've got the cap space) and draft an OT high that can play RT and replace Brown at LT if needed. (Fahn Cooper is my guy) Newton would make a great swing OT and he's a better OG than he is a OT so he would provide great depth. (Something the Texans have never had before on the OL) I would also bring back Clark on the cheap, he's a very good depth piece.

If Smith hits on one OT it would solve most of the OL issues that have plagued this team for yrs. (As long as Newton has been the starting RT. (Another great signing by Smith, wonder why this team is always having to reload every yr?)

Pick one up in FA or Draft a RT like they should of last year. Don't know why you keep defending Newton he is, was and always will be a below average RT. At some point the "he was playing injured" excuse has to stop.
Don't you see how silly that statement is? He has been injured as have others. He is on field and playing. I am not excusing all of his mistakes as I did not with other players like Duane Brown who also have been injured. A year ago after another season including injuries, Newton was given $26 m with $10 m guaranteed; so somebody agrees with me that he is not what you think he is. I rate him as playing (injured) as an above average RT. Team has done little to increase depth at offensive line. Clark and Lamm could be positives. It will be interesting to see how they handle bringing Chris Clark back this season & I do expect a quick signing.

From March 2015
Texans re-signed RT Derek Newton to a five-year, $26.5 million contract with $10 million guaranteed.
PFF's highest-graded run blocker among right tackles last season (2014), Newton garnered initial interest from the Redskins, but the Texans managed to keep their man. A seventh-round pick in 2011, Newton has had an up-and-down career but broke out last season at age 27.
roto

He started all games last three seasons but not all at RT.
The Texans fifth-year right tackle started at left guard Sept. 20 at Carolina, right guard in Weeks 6 and 7 at Jacksonville and Miami, and played both right and left tackle in Week 8 against Tennessee. Newton hasn’t missed a start this season and doesn’t plan to on Sunday against New Orleans either.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/6fd2b364-1614-4473-a782-b74e14826cda

I wouldn't be suprised either. They should re-sign Brooks though (They've got the cap space) and draft an OT high that can play RT and replace Brown at LT if needed. (Fahn Cooper is my guy) Newton would make a great swing OT and he's a better OG than he is a OT so he would provide great depth. (Something the Texans have never had before on the OL) I would also bring back Clark on the cheap, he's a very good depth piece.

If Smith hits on one OT it would solve most of the OL issues that have plagued this team for yrs. (As long as Newton has been the starting RT. (Another great signing by Smith, wonder why this team is always having to reload every yr?)
because he has never gone big to draft Oline high or go strong for a "name" free agent.

Don't you see how silly that statement is? He has been injured as have others. He is on field and playing. I am not excusing all of his mistakes as I did not with other players like Duane Brown who also have been injured. A year ago after another season including injuries, Newton was given $26 m with $10 m guaranteed; so somebody agrees with me that he is not what you think he is. I rate him as playing (injured) as an above average RT. Team has done little to increase depth at offensive line. Clark and Lamm could be positives. It will be interesting to see how they handle bringing Chris Clark back this season & I do expect a quick signing.

From March 2015 roto

He started all games last three seasons but not all at RT.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/6fd2b364-1614-4473-a782-b74e14826cda

because he has never gone big to draft Oline high or go strong for a "name" free agent.
No I don't see it. Look I was with you a couple of years ago when he was playing with a bad toe or foot. But Cmon everyone in the nfl plays with lingering injuries. If you want to give him amother free pass for this year fine but I'm not. And pointing out his run blocking is being silly. You know good and well his pass blocking is where he falls short.

Also I would not use the fact that Smith signed him to a 26 million 10 million guaranteed dollar contract as verification that you are right. He's made more mistakes with contracts than I can count.

No I don't see it. Look I was with you a couple of years ago when he was playing with a bad toe or foot. But Cmon everyone in the nfl plays with lingering injuries. If you want to give him amother free pass for this year fine but I'm not. And pointing out his run blocking is being silly. You know good and well his pass blocking is where he falls short.

Also I would not use the fact that Smith signed him to a 26 million 10 million guaranteed dollar contract as verification that you are right. He's made more mistakes with contracts than I can count.
Of course his pass blocking has suffered in not being able to use his arm to interfere or redirect the defender. Also have the QBs he has had to block for has impacted him and the other linemen. I do see him for what he is but he's is not as bad as you make him out to be. His contract was considered very good by most fans.

Of course his pass blocking has suffered in not being able to use his arm to interfere or redirect the defender. Also have the QBs he has had to block for has impacted him and the other linemen. I do see him for what he is but he's is not as bad as you make him out to be. His contract was considered very good by most fans.
His contract was considered very good by most fans? What makes you say that?

His contract was considered very good by most fans? What makes you say that?
5 year deal for 26.5 million was going rate for starting RT. His guarantee of $10 m was $6 million bonus + roster and then his base for 2015 of 1.5 with total of $7.5 accounted for by end of first year of deal. His 2016 base is $4.75 and the remaining $2.5 m guarantee is completed. After only two years, he could be cut with only minimal dead money which was another smart move. This was considered a bit high for some but most were glad we kept him with such a team friendly deal. If my math is correct, he could be cut at mid-season.

5 year deal for 26.5 million was going rate for starting RT. His guarantee of $10 m was $6 million bonus + roster and then his base for 2015 of 1.5 with total of $7.5 accounted for by end of first year of deal. His 2016 base is $4.75 and the remaining $2.5 m guarantee is completed. After only two years, he could be cut with only minimal dead money which was another smart move. This was considered a bit high for some but most were glad we kept him with such a team friendly deal. If my math is correct, he could be cut at mid-season.

I guess I'm just so used to people comaining about him I don't remembe peoplet being happy about his contract. Regardless he's just not good enough at OT IMO and I want an upgrade. If we lose brooks I would be happy if we moved him there and started Clark and brought in another FA or rookie to groom.

I guess I'm just so used to people comaining about him I don't remembe peoplet being happy about his contract. Regardless he's just not good enough at OT IMO and I want an upgrade. If we lose brooks I would be happy if we moved him there and started Clark and brought in another FA or rookie to groom.
I too want an upgrade (at every position) but IMO no draft OT or FA (same pay rate as Newton) is an immediate up grade. I think there will be a lot of emphasis on Texans' end of bench offensive linemen this preseason hoping one or more take huge step forward.

I too want an upgrade (at every position) but IMO no draft OT or FA (same pay rate as Newton) is an immediate up grade. I think there will be a lot of emphasis on Texans' end of bench offensive linemen this preseason hoping one or more take huge step forward.

I disagree. The primary job of a tackle is to pass protect. If they can't do that consistently, I don't care if they are the best run blocker in the league, they need to be replaced.

Newton has always struggled in pass protection, even in that contract year where the view was that he took a big step forward.

I disagree. The primary job of a tackle is to pass protect. If they can't do that consistently, I don't care if they are the best run blocker in the league, they need to be replaced.

Newton has always struggled in pass protection, even in that contract year where the view was that he took a big step forward.
You did not address what I said..name the draft pick or FA that will start over Newton game one.

You did not address what I said..name the draft pick or FA that will start over Newton game one.

Draft
Jason Spriggs
Jack Conklin
Taylor Decker
Kyle Murphy

Free Agent
Cordy Glenn
Kelechi Osmele
Russell Okung
Donald Penn
Kelvin Beachum
Mitchell Schwartz

Draft
Jason Spriggs
Jack Conklin
Taylor Decker
Kyle Murphy

Free Agent
Cordy Glenn
Kelechi Osmele
Russell Okung
Donald Penn
Kelvin Beachum
Mitchell Schwartz
We are just going to disagree. I like each of the four college and have mocked Spriggs at 22 and Murphy later; but none would beat out Newton. I am not saying he is not replaceable just not immediately if all season. I am fairly certain each of those FAs will get larger contracts than Newton (a stipulation I said).

I am fairly certain each of those FAs will get larger contracts than Newton (a stipulation I said).

Well yeah. They're all better players. Of course they will get larger contracts. Every single one of their agents is going to point to Newton's extension when negotiating on the FA market.

I'm not an expert, nor a future teller, so I cannot tell you who will start over him game one. I'm not even necessarily asking a rookie to start over him game one, I'm saying that we need to look to replace Newton. I can almost guarantee there will be a handful of OTs in this draft that will end up better than Newton by their second year, some WILL be better immediately. We need to be scouting that position in order to replace Newton, whether it be right away or in a year from now. Not everything needs to happen immediately. GMs and scouts project over years, it's necessary for job sucess.

I also did address what you've been saying. You said he's an above average RT, which I disagree with. Average means starting and middle of the pack, he isn't that.

Well yeah. They're all better players. Of course they will get larger contracts. Every single one of their agents is going to point to Newton's extension when negotiating on the FA market.
Newton's base is $4.75 m; I cannot see Texans paying him and sign a replacement for more. His cap each year is $5.5. It is possible they pay more then cut Newton after guarantee up, I just do not see it.

I'm not an expert, nor a future teller, so I cannot tell you who will start over him game one. I'm not even necessarily asking a rookie to start over him game one, I'm saying that we need to look to replace Newton. I can almost guarantee there will be a handful of OTs in this draft that will end up better than Newton by their second year, some WILL be better immediately. We need to be scouting that position in order to replace Newton, whether it be right away or in a year from now. Not everything needs to happen immediately. GMs and scouts project over years, it's necessary for job sucess.

I also did address what you've been saying. You said he's an above average RT, which I disagree with. Average means starting and middle of the pack, he isn't that.
Based on what CnnD posted, we will probably need to replace Brown before Newton; another reason I see the latter at RT.

We are just going to disagree. I like each of the four college and have mocked Spriggs at 22 and Murphy later; but none would beat out Newton. I am not saying he is not replaceable just not immediately if all season. I am fairly certain each of those FAs will get larger contracts than Newton (a stipulation I said).

You said the same thing last year. There were several rookies I would of rather had over him that would of been an upgrade.

Newton's base is $4.75 m; I cannot see Texans paying him and sign a replacement for more. His cap each year is $5.5. It is possible they pay more then cut Newton after guarantee up, I just do not see it.

Why not move him to guard instead of resigning brooks and draft or sign an OT in FA? That has to be an option they are considering.

Why not move him to guard instead of resigning brooks and draft or sign an OT in FA? That has to be an option they are considering.
What FA OT would you target? There has to be an upgrade out there, or it's not a good idea. That is akin to saying "draft a QB in the 1st round", even if all of the QB's have 2nd round, or later, grades.

Brooks is a much better player. Both guys are very good run blockers but Brooks is average - above average in pass pro while Newton is just plain awful. Letting Brooks walk and moving Newton to RG is a downgrade at that position.

So you can easily come up with 16 better right tackles?

So you can easily come up with 16 better right tackles?

From PFF week 5:

PFF said:
Stud: If his name isn’t already in the conversation, the start to 2015 proves Brandon Brooks (+5.7) needs to be regarded as one of the best guards in the game.

Dud: Switching between guard and tackle hasn’t helped, but Derek Newton (-10.9) has reverted to his 2013 level of play, rather than following up on his strong 2014 contract year.

Summary: Getting Duane Brown back will prove big, because without him and center Chris Myers, the line looked very unlike the one that finished in the top 5 last year. Still, there are plenty of question marks as they break in new talent.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/10/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5/

From PFF week 9:

PFF said:
Stud: You don’t hear the name Brandon Brooks (69.2) a lot when talking about the best guards in the league, but his consistent efforts mean you should.

Dud: After his breakout contract year, it’s disappointing that Derek Newton (44.8) has reverted to old ways. That said, he’s been asked to play a variety of positions, so it’s somewhat understandable.

Summary: Chris Myers is gone, and Duane Brown has battled injuries. The upshot? The Houston line looks like it’s in transition, which, all things considered, makes this showing better than you might have expected.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/04/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-9/

Can you connect the dots?

Just watch the games, the guy is getting whipped in pass protection far too frequently. I don't see many tackles get handled like that.

Last edited:
Brooks is a much better player. Both guys are very good run blockers but Brooks is average - above average in pass pro while Newton is just plain awful. Letting Brooks walk and moving Newton to RG is a downgrade at that position.
I agree with the first part but there is a big difference in pass blocking for a G and an OT. Newtons biggest issues are with defending in space. He wouldn't have that issue inside. It comes down to whats better for the money. Resigning Brooks and Leaving Newton at OT where he struggles or Moving Newton inside where he would have help with his weakness and replace him with a quality FA or Rookie. Newton was a better Run Blocker this year than Brooks. If we could get an all around better RT for the same money we will have to pay for Brooks to resign him it might be better a better overall OL.

And Im not suggesting this is absolutely what we should do just that it should be considered. I we can get a good OT

You said the same thing last year. There were several rookies I would of rather had over him that would of been an upgrade.
So Texans keeping him as starter supports my position rather than yours..? How do you know your guys would have been better? just going around in circles here.

Back