Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Offensive Coordinator

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
But who is going to develop it?
While the unit in its entirety is dysfunctional, the position coaches are NFL position coaches. There are still things the young players can pickup while playing the game and going over their tape. That's why they need to play and not rot on the bench.

Reactions: JB

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The only thing Cal and Caserio need to agree on at seasons end…..the Culley era must be a flash in the pan. Damm the cost and thanks for participating…..oh your trophy is in Cal’s office on top of the Play Station.

The team must come to the conclusion that the rebuild will begin at 1600 on the 16th of March 2022. Of equal importance…..having a new HC and staff in place. I could say that Locke Smith to some degree has coached himself into another chance with better talent but I’d still like to see what the new HC thinks about retaining him.

Watson will never return and therefore his tenure with the Texans must be put in the rear view mirror and not be permitted to continue past the 2022 NFL Draft.

As for the balance of this season…..Taylor needs to be insurance and Mills should finish the season. The Texans would have a far clearer picture on Mills going into the draft. As for the OC, I don’t give two shites as to who’s calling the game so long as Tim Kelly is no longer anywhere near the sideline or building. How long are the Texans going to hold onto an offense (OB’s) that just hasn’t worked? OB could very well get fired from an Alabama job which was expected to be as sure as the Patriots job….especially if the Tide get blown out by Georgia and miss the CFB Playoffs.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro
The only thing Cal and Caserio need to agree on at seasons end…..the Culley era must be a flash in the pan.

The team must come to the conclusion that the rebuild will begin at 1600 on the 16th of March 2022. Of equal importance…..having a new HC and staff in place. I could say that Locke Smith to some degree has coached himself into another chance with better talent but I’d still like to see what the new HC thinks about retaining him.

Watson will never return and therefore his tenure with the Texans must be put in the rear view mirror and not be permitted to continue past the 2022 NFL Draft.

As for the balance of this season…..Taylor needs to be insurance and Mills should finish the season. The Texans would have a far clearer picture on Mills going into the draft. As for the OC, I don’t give two shites as to who’s calling the game so long as Tim Kelly is no longer anywhere near the sideline or building. How long are bathe Texans going to hold onto an offense (OB’s) that just hasn’t worked? OB could very well get fired from Alabama which was expected to be as sure as the Patriots job….especially if the Tide get blown out by Georgia and they miss the CFB Playoffs.
I pretty much agree. I didnt watch the game but I read the stats. Kelly can’t be salvaged. I’d like to see the O turned over to Pep from here out. There is talent on that side of the ball, perhaps more than we know and I believe we need a proper evaluation of it before next draft. Lovie has elevated the play of several of his players but Kelly has conclusively failed to elevate the level of even one single player. That’s all I need to see.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The only thing Cal and Caserio need to agree on at seasons end…..the Culley era must be a flash in the pan. Damm the cost and thanks for participating…..oh your trophy is in Cal’s office on top of the Play Station.
You and others are failing to realize why Culley is an NFL HC. He wasn’t hired to turn anything around. He was hired to take the heat and pump his positive vibe so that Caserio can distract you from the tank that is in progress.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You and others are failing to realize why Culley is an NFL HC. He wasn’t hired to turn anything around. He was hired to take the heat and pump his positive vibe so that Caserio can distract you from the tank that is in progress.
I’ve been on board with this for a while….except I filed it under the keep Watson HC move. Unfortunately it never materialized.

Caserio will move on as soon as the season is over. Culley and Kelly must be shown the door.

Dejaview

All Pro
Lol, nobody was hired to turn anything around until the roster is purged and ready to be filled with new players. Nobody is dumb enough to be distracted from that. Despite what everyone thinks I believe the intent was/is to be competitive through the process without getting locked into any long term contracts. That right there shows the nature and the timeline of the roster purge. I think untimely injuries and Tim Kelly have hindered the process. That’s all.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Kelly's main issue is there's just no flow to anything we do...DW4, Mills, Tyrod...it just hasn't mattered whose under center. Everything we do is slow, there are no plays we run that put any pressure on weaknesses of the defense & when you're 3 and out all the time you can't get any type of rhythm....& he does nothing with his playcalling to help jumpstart that.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Kelly's main issue is there's just no flow to anything we do...DW4, Mills, Tyrod...it just hasn't mattered whose under center. Everything we do is slow, there are no plays we run that put any pressure on weaknesses of the defense & when you're 3 and out all the time you can't get any type of rhythm....& he does nothing with his playcalling to help jumpstart that.
After the first game, it "appeared" Kelly improved. However, I think the performance against the Jags was an outlier. It was the Texans simply playing the Jags while having an entire offseason to prepare for that first game.
Five years of the offense and no one can say what they do well. It's painfully obvious that this offense requires a top 5-10 QB making off script plays just to be an average offense.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
After the first game, it appears Kelly improved. However, I think the performance against the Jags was an outlier. It was the Texans simply playing the Jags while having an entire offseason to prepare for that first game.
Five years of the offense and no one can say what they do well. It's painfully obvious that this offense requires a top 5-10 QB making off script plays just to be an average offense.
Yep. He was given a new lease on his nfl OC life under Culley to show what he can do without overlord Bill…and well, the results are in…not much.

this slow, plodding offense where you have to put 10-12 play drives together consistently doesn’t work. How about a little no huddle, how about rolling the pocket…how about some trickery….something…anything for the defense to have to worry about and or adjust to in between those basic, stale plays would be good. Instead, what he does it what Kubiak used to do at times…be stubborn and keep running the same stuff with the thought being “it’s not about what they do to us but about what WE do”. That philosophy works when you have good enough talent to execute. When you don’t, the approach needs to be running/doing whatever you need to do to get some rhythm and sustained offensive drives.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
After the first game, it "appeared" Kelly improved. However, I think the performance against the Jags was an outlier. It was the Texans simply playing the Jags while having an entire offseason to prepare for that first game.
I'm in no way a Kelly's fan, but I think he's getting a raw deal.
The offensive playbook is assembled by the HC and the OC before preseason.
Sometimes with input from an experienced QB coach and offensive line coach (which the Texans supposedly have).
Sometimes with input from a proven/experienced QB (which the Texans don't really have).

The playbook isn't going to change during the year.
Teams may add a gadget play in here and there, but the core plays are set.

Then Tyrod got injured and the offensive line was decimated.

Culley himself admitted that they scaled back on the game plan in Mills' first few games.

Even with Dallas last year when Dalton came in for Prescott, their offense still suffered.
(That's with Kellen Moore as a rising star in the rank of OCs).

But such is life in the NFL.

I don't know if Culley's contract allow the Texans to bring in another HC next year.

If Culley is still here, and Taylor is still here, the Texans may very well keep Kelly.
(OCs aren't allowed to move laterally in the NFL).
Can the Texans lure an up-and-coming play caller from the college rank?

Dejaview

All Pro
Ye
It’s play mix and tempo. Even raw Davis Mills complained about the tempo more than once by saying he gets in a better rhythm in an up tempo environment. To me Kelly appears to be regressing.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Sometimes with input from an experienced QB coach and offensive line coach (which the Texans supposedly have).
Sometimes with input from a proven/experienced QB (which the Texans don't really have).

Culley himself admitted that they scaled back on the game plan in Mills' first few games.

Even with Dallas last year when Dalton came in for Prescott, their offense still suffered.

I don't know if Culley's contract allow the Texans to bring in another HC next year.

If Culley is still here, and Taylor is still here, the Texans may very well keep Kelly.
doubtful…this is part of why I believe Culley and NC were ok with keeping Kelly on as the OC..& also why I believe Pep was brought on. In the event that Kelly poops the bed, he could take over midseason if need be or the next year and he has experience as an OC and Qb coach in the NFL so they wouldn’t have to lure any experienced guy over.

aside from that, I wouldn’t want a college guy coming in unless he was a former NFL playcaller

76Texan

Hall of Fame
doubtful…this is part of why I believe Culley and NC were ok with keeping Kelly on as the OC..& also why I believe Pep was brought on. In the event that Kelly poops the bed, he could take over midseason if need be or the next year and he has experience as an OC and Qb coach in the NFL so they wouldn’t have to lure any experienced guy over.

aside from that, I wouldn’t want a college guy coming in unless he was a former NFL playcaller
If you want NFL experience, there should be some that went back to the college rank.
Maybe you can find a football lifer like Mike Sherman (if you run the WCO) was.
(I'm not suggesting him now at 66 going on 67; just an example of a guy who doesn't mind coaching at any level, just as long as he's involved with football.)

Me, I'd rather find a guy like Kliff Kingsbury while he was still the OC at Texas Tech or maybe his first or second year as the HC.
(The plus with a guy like KK is that he was employed by Kubiak as a co-coordinator and QB for 2 years).

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If you want NFL experience, there should be some that went back to the college rank.
Maybe you can find a football lifer like Mike Sherman (if you run the WCO) was.
(I'm not suggesting him now at 66 going on 67; just an example of a guy who doesn't mind coaching at any level, just as long as he's involved with football.)

Me, I'd rather find a guy like Kliff Kingsbury while he was still the OC at Texas Tech or maybe his first or second year as the HC.
(The plus with a guy like KK is that he was employed by Kubiak as a co-coordinator and QB for 2 years).
Lol, your love for Gary Kubiak knows no bounds. Seems to me you just want someone who is connected to Kubiak…or runs Shanahan/Kubiak’s offense lol. I suppose we could dig up Mike Shanahan..what’s he doing these days besides taking 4 hour naps in the middle of the day and being involved in other things that hurt the country lol. Too old? Well maybe we can bring in Jed Fisch…he’s got connections to Kubiak and the Texans by way of Mike Shanahan and Sean McVay…he should be available any day now with Arizona having a 1-11 record.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Lol, your love for Gary Kubiak knows no bounds. Seems to me you just want someone who is connected to Kubiak…or runs Shanahan/Kubiak’s offense lol. I suppose we could dig up Mike Shanahan..what’s he doing these days besides taking 4 hour naps in the middle of the day and being involved in other things that hurt the country lol. Too old? Well maybe we can bring in Jed Fisch…he’s got connections to Kubiak and the Texans by way of Mike Shanahan and Sean McVay…he should be available any day now with Arizona having a 1-11 record.
I didn't even think about any connection.
Besides, Kingsbury runs the Air Raid, not a WCO.
And I made a mistake, Kingsbury was with the Cougars in those years, and not with the Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I agree, Culley got a QB in Tyrod that has run an offense that both Culley/Tyrod had coached/played in. But they threw away all of that familiarity to let Kelly exclusively run BOB's offense, which is the offense that got BOB fired? I'm not buying this logic.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree, Culley got a QB in Tyrod that has run an offense that both Culley/Tyrod had coached/played in. But they threw away all of that familiarity to let Kelly exclusively run BOB's offense, which is the offense that got BOB fired? I'm not buying this logic.
Culley and the current position coaches have been around the league for a long time, they have seen pretty much everything.
Nomenclature in the EP system isn't supported to be as lengthy as that of the WCO; they wouldn't have any problem picking them up quickly if they haven't been in one.
Most of the plays are still there in any system after all these years of copying off of one another.
It was just a matter of what verbiage/nomenclature they want to use this year.
It makes sense that they keep the nomenclature of the EP system, but they can add different plays (which we have seen and people, including me, had commented on them on the game threads.)
They could teach blocking differently even if the scheme remains the same; they can always add a sub-scheme for certain plays, etc.

So yeah, I don't think we're seeing an OB offense this year.
Even when OB was here, the playbook varies some from year to year.
Coaches often retain a number of core plays (their bread and butter), but they always like to tinker with new plays every year (which could be a variation of a play from another team).
Like how teams, including OB's, sometimes use the ZBS with an inside zone or outside zone run.
Or the wildcat, the RPO, etc.

Sad but true, and Kelly's part in this I think speaks to his inexperience. Unfortunately his OJT has consisted of a mediocre & stubborn HC in OB and now a HC who has less experience than him as an OC and a team lacking talent. If Kelly wants a future in this league he'd best look for an opportunity to hitch his wagon to a successful offensive coach.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Ye

It’s play mix and tempo. Even raw Davis Mills complained about the tempo more than once by saying he gets in a better rhythm in an up tempo environment. To me Kelly appears to be regressing.
Because nothing looks like nothing. Why not keep your best personel on the field and run all your plays with that personel. They have soo many tells that even a novice can watch and know what their doing.

Flyingfish

Waterboy
Wait...you guys are saying Kelly plans and runs an offense? From what I have seen, it's more like his plans are horribly offensive. Plays develop slowly, which gives every team the Texans play the "speed" advantage. The passing game is generally close to the line, which means the receivers have a difficult time getting open, giving the defense more run support. I could go on, but we've all seen it and more, and it isn't good.

I long for the Texans to have an offense that other teams have to try to stop, rather than an offense that is like practicing against the JV. Kelly and BOB's playbook have to go, as soon as possible.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wait...you guys are saying Kelly plans and runs an offense? From what I have seen, it's more like his plans are horribly offensive. Plays develop slowly, which gives every team the Texans play the "speed" advantage. The passing game is generally close to the line, which means the receivers have a difficult time getting open, giving the defense more run support. I could go on, but we've all seen it and more, and it isn't good.

I long for the Texans to have an offense that other teams have to try to stop, rather than an offense that is like practicing against the JV. Kelly and BOB's playbook have to go, as soon as possible.
BOB's not here anymore and if Culley's letting Kelly run the BOB offense (Doubtful) then he should be fired tomorrow. The talent deficit is currently too much to run an efficient offense.

Texansballer74

The Marine
BOB's not here anymore and if Culley's letting Kelly run the BOB offense (Doubtful) then he should be fired tomorrow. The talent deficit is currently too much to run an efficient offense.
Culley said running the ball is their identity. So yes they’re running Bill O’Brien’s offensive philosophy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Culley said running the ball is their identity. So yes they’re running Bill O’Brien’s offensive philosophy.
They can't run the ball.

So Culley is letting Kelly run an offense that Culley said he doesn't want to run? I don't buy that. BTW, BOB did a great job yesterday. If they win a championship I could see BOB getting another college HC job. Marrone is the Alabama ol coach.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
They can't run the ball.

So Culley is letting Kelly run an offense that Culley said he doesn't want to run? I don't buy that. BTW, BOB did a great job yesterday. If they win a championship I could see BOB getting another college HC job. Marrone is the Alabama ol coach.
Last week, BOB's media friends were linking his name to the LSU job and LSU fans were complaining. All season, Alabama fans have been criticizing him as the worst OC in the Saban era and have been complaining about his play calling and run game.

When BOB was here. After each bad Jaguar season, I hoped the Jags would fire Marrone and based on their relationship, BOB would hire Marrone as an assistant HC or OL coach. Marrone could help with the OL and bring an outside perspective on what a division opponent did to prepare for the Texans. He would have been the one offensive coach on the staff who wouldn't be intimidated by BOB and had enough experience that BOB respected him and his input.

Thinking about this. This is what I've allowed the Texans to make me resort to. Hoping that a former HC who just finished 5-11 and 6-10 can join your team and make the HC of your favorite team a better coach. SMDH.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Last week, BOB's media friends were linking his name to the LSU job and LSU fans were complaining. All season, Alabama fans have been criticizing him as the worst OC in the Saban era and have been complaining about his play calling and run game.

When BOB was here. After each bad Jaguar season, I hoped the Jags would fire Marrone and based on their relationship, BOB would hire Marrone as an assistant HC or OL coach. Marrone could help with the OL and bring an outside perspective on what a division opponent did to prepare for the Texans. He would have been the one offensive coach on the staff who wouldn't be intimidated by BOB and had enough experience that BOB respected him and his input.

Thinking about this. You know it's bad when you are hoping that a former HC who just finished 5-11 and 6-10 can join your team and make the HC of your favorite team a better coach.
Just saying, if they win a NC after beating a vaunted Georgia team, BOB's name is going to come up for jobs and within the next couple of years he will get one of those jobs.

Agreed about Marrone. But he's a very good ol coach. A massive upgrade over Devlin or Campen for that matter.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
So I hear Joe Brady is available
Quite the fall from grace going from a HC candidate and hottest coordinator in college football to being fired middle of his second season as an NFL OC.

Reminds me of John DeFillipo. Eagles QB coach when they won the Superbowl. Hot name for OC/HC jobs. Fired during his first season as OC the following year with Minnesota and has been bouncing around since.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Quite the fall from grace going from a HC candidate and hottest coordinator in college football to being fired middle of his second season as an NFL OC.

Reminds me of John DeFillipo. Eagles QB coach when they won the Superbowl. Hot name for OC/HC jobs. Fired during his first season as OC the following year with Minnesota and has been bouncing around since.
I’d take him in a heartbeat. I’d even trade the Panthers a future 6th knowing I don’t have to, just to get this O’Brien taste out my mouth

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If true. Here is an interesting twist. I just heard on 610, they mentioned Tim Kelly has the same agent as......Nick Caserio and Jack Easterby. :kitten:
Let the conspiracy theories reign.

Kelly was kept to try to appease Derrick.

Massive fail on all accounts.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Who would you be looking at? Who might be available? Any good young’ s out there working for a HC on the hot seat?
A few are around and then likely more after the college season ends. If Kelly is the reason for the game plan we see...I hope he doesn't stick around

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Kelly is either that bad, or Culley maps out everything. Either way the team is not responding like it did in game 1
It takes a combination of ineptness to suck this bad. Poor coaching, inferior personnel, a lack of effort and desire to get this horrible. It's almost like they're trying to suck. Why would they do that?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
It takes a combination of ineptness to suck this bad. Poor coaching, inferior personnel, a lack of effort and desire to get this horrible. It's almost like they're trying to suck. Why would they do that?
Either ineptitude or a really dark non-Christian scheme that is very discourteous to its players and coaching staff.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This offense is the worst in Texans history. The run game might be the worst i’ve ever seen for an NFL team. Definitely a disappointment.

I read mock drafts from posters going hard on OL early but the Texans have invested heavily in draft capital on OL with little to show for it. Just recently Howard/Scharping were 1/2 picks and little to show for it aside from Howard being solid in pass protection at OT only.

Unless the coaching changes and someone brings a proven scheme like Kubiak/Gibbs did with the ZBS I don’t think it matters how many stud OL the team drafts early. They could get Linderbaum and Neal this year and the bastardized TK/OB scheme would find a way to make them look bad.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This offense is the worst in Texans history. The run game might be the worst i’ve ever seen for an NFL team. Definitely a disappointment.

I read mock drafts from posters going hard on OL early but the Texans have invested heavily in draft capital on OL with little to show for it. Just recently Howard/Scharping were 1/2 picks and little to show for it aside from Howard being solid in pass protection at OT only.

Unless the coaching changes and someone brings a proven scheme like Kubiak/Gibbs did with the ZBS I don’t think it matters how many stud OL the team drafts early. They could get Linderbaum and Neal this year and the bastardized TK/OB scheme would find a way to make them look bad.
Yes it takes coaching, but it also takes continuity. Hard to get a cohesive OL if you're changing out major parts every year. Injuries cause enough change. Moving players from LT to RG to LG to RT to LT doesn't help either

Dejaview

All Pro

For me please no ZBS. I think finesse schemes vaginified our OL. I personally want to see some earth movers like Dallas targets.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For me please no ZBS. I think finesse schemes vaginified our OL. I personally want to see some earth movers like Dallas targets.
Every team runs some ZBS, some exclusively, some sparingly. It's part of the game. Hopefully it's not the basis of our future offense, but there's going to be some Zone concepts.