Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[NY Daily News] This is a Must Win for Sanchez

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Opening Day. New coach. A rookie quarterback. On the road. A must-win.

Wait a second...a must-win?

Yep, that's what Mark Sanchez called Sunday's season opener in Houston. This isn't USC anymore, and this isn't the BCS points system. There's no such thing as a must-win in Week 1, but say this for Sanchez: He likes drama and he doesn't seem to mind pressure.

"It's a big first game for this organization, for both sides of the ball, for special teams, for Coach (Rex) Ryan," the Jets' $50 million rookie said Wednesday. "It's his first game. For me, it's my first game in this league. So this is a must-win for us. That's the way we feel. It's going to be like that every week, but this first game you just want to get things started off right."

It has been a long time since a Jets rookie quarterback made a bold statement like that. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since a rookie quarterback actually started for them. The last time it happened was Nov. 13, 1977, when Matt Robinson got the nod against the Seahawks. That was 491 games ago, the league's longest streak without starting a rookie at quarterback.

From all indications, Sanchez was confident and at ease during his first full day of preparation for the Texans. Players said there were some hiccups in practice, but nothing unusual for a Wednesday, typically the sloppiest day because there's so much game-plan installation. By the end of the week, everything should be humming - in theory.

"Guys are going into this game with full confidence that we're going to rally around him, he's going to rally around us and we're going to make the plays we have to," right guard Brandon Moore said. "I'm not even concerned about it. We've got enough people around him to handle the situation and a coordinator who knows how to scheme a game accordingly.

"I'm not going into it like, 'Oh, no, we've got a rookie quarterback, we all need to do a little extra,' " Moore added.

No, but a little extra production would help, especially on defense. The Texans finished third in total offense last season, averaging 382 yards per game. They have outstanding skill-position talent, with wide receiver Andre Johnson, tight end Owen Daniels and running back Steve Slaton.

And they've won 12 of their last 16 home games.

Ryan was asked about facing the potentially dangerous Texans, and he rattled off a few impressive stats on the Houston offense. Then he smiled; it was a "we'll-show-them" smile.
"We're going to find out about (our defense)," said Ryan, who seems to know exactly what to expect.

After a pause, he added, "I think I know where it is. I think everybody will find out next week, on Sunday, just how good this defense is."

That's pretty confident talk from a coach who won't have his top two sackers, outside linebacker Calvin Pace and left end Shaun Ellis, both suspended. Nevertheless, there's an unmistaken air of confidence around the team.

Rookie quarterback? No problem.

"We have to come out and set the tempo for him, not put all the pressure on him," said safety Kerry Rhodes, speaking on behalf of the defense. "He'll have to make some plays eventually, but we want to set the tempo."

Sanchez's nerves will be tested. One player described him as a "jitter bug" on the field, saying he gets too hyped up. Sanchez suspects he'll be more excited than nervous once the game starts.

"It's important to me. I want it to go right," he said. "I want a win."

It's a must-win, after all.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...9-09-10_mark_sanchez_debut.html#ixzz0QczZ3GFj

I'm telling you. This game is not going to be a cakewalk. I think that kid is going to put a good game together and I'm sure the league is getting a semi for him.

We better not be overlooking this team and buying into the media hype that we a potential playoff team.

At least Sanchez isn't whipping out the quote of all quotes. "I don't think this is a must win game, but I do think it's a must play well game". - paraphrasing DC

It should be a good game and could tell a lot about both teams.

With our historic slow starts of seasons, this is perhaps a "must win" game for us to get a positive start as we head to Tennessee.

This game is reminiscent of the KC opener in 2007 to me. KC was coming off a 9-7 playoff campaign and we were 1 season removed from a 2 win season. Everyone was cautiously optimistic and we turned around and stomped the Chiefs.

I get the same vibe with this game; this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.

This game is reminiscent of the KC opener in 2007 to me. KC was coming off a 9-7 playoff campaign and we were 1 season removed from a 2 win season. Everyone was cautiously optimistic and we turned around and stomped the Chiefs.

I get the same vibe with this game; this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.
pssst...The Jets had a better record than us last season and they managed to score more points than they gave up, unlike a team you are preeeetty familiar with who gave up more points than we scored.

pssst...The Jets had a better record than us last season and they managed to score more points than they gave up, unlike a team you are preeeetty familiar with who gave up more points than we scored.

Just like the 2006 Kansas City Chiefs that his post references.

Screw this being a must win Jets game. I'm not going to say this is a must win game, but I hope the staff is emphasizing that it's an important game to win to start the season strong.

Jets defense under Ryan should be improved but, they'll be missing two pass rushers. We need to take advantage of that in not only the passing game but the rushing game as well.

Defensively, this is game where we should be able to get some pressure on Sanchez and I'll be pissed if we let Sanchez look like a 10 year pro out there like we have let first time starters look before.

Good news is that the Jets don't have a dominate WR corps so hopefully we'll be able to hold their passing game in relative check.

We do need to come laying the wood but, at the same time keep solid on your tackles, wrap up.

They also have a new coach, a rookie QB, and a new defensive scheme; the latter two of which are notoriously slow starters in a season; and are playing against a team that has lost a whopping one game against non-divisional opponents over the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that talk of a possible loss is entirely without merit, but I think it's being overblown in the name of caution.

They also have a new coach, a rookie QB, and a new defensive scheme; the latter two of which are notoriously slow starters in a season; and are playing against a team that has lost a whopping one game against non-divisional opponents over the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that talk of a possible loss is entirely without reason, but I think it's being overblown in the name of caution.
The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells (Dolphins) and the Falcons did what they did in one year? I'm just saying that I don't see where we are so superior to the Jets that we can just state how much better we are than them.

The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells and the Falcons did what they did in one year?

As if "getting it right" is the same thing as winning the first game of the season on the road against a team who is also "on the way up."

I'm not making any assertions as to how Rex Ryan and the Jets will do on the season, I'm merely saying that all the caution being thrown around here is overzealous, IMO. Also, you'll notice that the "latter two" I was refering to didn't include the coaching change that you're trying to argue.

Given our history at home under Kubiak, and all the fresh changes for the Jets, I don't think this game is such a cause for worry.

I wish I got the same vibe. The pre-season revealed a bad trend that we saw during the tough stretches last year - the team just appears to come out of the gates slow, unmotivated and unprepared. The defense settled down in the Vikes game, but there is no excuse to come out and get slashed on the first play of the game.

I have no idea what to expect. I hope that we come out looking strong and have a series or two to build some confidence. I hope that Dunta and Cushing, despite missing all pre-season, make the defense look better. I hope that the players were in "pre-season" mode and play this game with focus and determination from start to finish. I hope that Kubes has this team ready to play from the first snap.

I hope...but if the pre-season is any indication, we could be in trouble.

BTW - In my mind, this is a "must win" game for the Texans. This organization needs to start this year off with a W...especially at home.

As if "getting it right" is the same thing as winning the first game of the season on the road against a team who is also "on the way up."

I'm not making any assertions as to how Rex Ryan and the Jets will do on the season, I'm merely saying that all the caution being thrown around here is overzealous, IMO. Also, you'll notice that the "latter two" I was refering to didn't include the coaching change that you're trying to argue.

Given our history at home under Kubiak, and all the fresh changes for the Jets, I don't think this game is such a cause for worry.
Getting it right means getting into the playoffs before you coach a team half a decade.

So this is a must-win for us. That's the way we feel. It's going to be like that every week

If every game is a must win game, this guy is going to be disappointed. I think he forgets he's not in college anymore. Not too many undefeated nfl teams

If Ryan throws at us the same style defense as the Ravens did last year, we'll be in for a very long afternoon. Texans have to bring their "A" game this Sunday. This game is absolutely no cakewalk whatsoever.

OK, well that's not relevant to anything I've argued.

But, here's to hoping we "get it right."
This is all I was really touching on...
nero THE zero said:
I'm just wondering why this game should be a blow out win for us when this is a team that won 10 games two years ago and 9 games last season. We've never done either and they actually scored more points than they gave up last year, unlike us.

Getting it right means getting into the playoffs before you coach a team half a decade.

how dare you bring up things like facts and trends. aren't you aware that Kubiak is from Houston?

as for the OT - Sanchez is right to say what he is saying. In this league, every win is a must win. You have to get off to a good start and you gotta keep your eyes on the prize. Its a cliche but its the truth. He just probably doesn't need to tell the media that. It puts too much on one game, could be used as locker room material, and doesn't server any team-oriented purpose.

One thing is for sure, if Sanchez comes in and drives the ball down the field against Bush' defense, I will have a sick taste in my mouth.

I guess this seems to me like Sanchez had a Capt. Obvious moment. Until you lock up a playoff spot and home field advantage EVERY game is a must win.

Any team that doesn't have that mindset is headed for Loserville.

The Chiefs were on their way down though...I don't think you can say the same for the Jets....or at least (imo), I can't.

As any team Herman Edwards coached.

I agree. Just like Kubiak stated, Ryan inherited a team that is pretty stacked with talented players.

IIRC, Edwards took over a decent team, but screwed up when he began turning their roster over. He ran the team into the ground by going too young, which ended up costing him his job. Plus, he was never a good coach to begin with.

I'm just wondering why this game should be a blow out win for us when this is a team that won 10 games two years ago and 9 games last season. We've never done either and they actually scored more points than they gave up last year, unlike us.

We should be winning all our home games except to the elite teams. Over the last two years there have only been 4 home losses.

2 to Indy. One was a 13-3 team. The other was Rosencopter.
1 to Tennessee. Unacceptable loss.
1 to Baltimore - 11-5, but finished 1st in point differential. And 4 of those losses were to Pittsburgh (2), Indy, and Tennessee.

I wouldn't put the Jets in that category.

Though, I do agree that we don't have the right to think blowout.

The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells (Dolphins) and the Falcons did what they did in one year? I'm just saying that I don't see where we are so superior to the Jets that we can just state how much better we are than them.

Didn't Jeff Fisher have like three 8-8 seasons in a row and didn't get into playoffs until year 5? And I think we all know the horror of a roster this regime inherited...not to mention the cap hell this team was in.

Anyway. Definitely a near must win for us with a road game looming @ Tenn week 2.

I don't really see how the length of time it takes Kubiak to makes the playoffs is a legitimate counterpoint to my inclination that this game is similiar to the 2007 KC game, or that this game should be an easy win for us (blowout is you putting words in my mouth.)

So far as why I think this should be a convincing win for us, I've already stated that, but I'll oblige again;
1. We have a very good home winning record over the past 2 years; especially against non-divisional teams

2. The Jets have a new and unproven HC

3. The Jets have a rookie QB

4. The Jets are implementing a new defensive scheme

5. The latter two points are notoriously slow starters in the NFL. So, even if they are eventually effective, even this season, they should be less so at the beginning of the season.

That's why I think this game should be a convincing win for us.

I don't really see how the length of time it takes Kubiak to makes the playoffs is a legitimate counterpoint to my inclination that this game is similiar to the 2007 KC game, or that this game should be an easy win for us (blowout is you putting words in my mouth.)

So far as why I think this should be a convincing win for us, I've already stated that, but I'll oblige again;
1. We have a very good home winning record over the past 2 years; especially against non-divisional teams

2. The Jets have a new and unproven HC

3. The Jets have a rookie QB

4. The Jets are implementing a new defensive scheme

5. The latter two points are notoriously slow starters in the NFL. So, even if they are eventually effective, even this season, they should be less so at the beginning of the season.

That's why I think this game should be a convincing win for us.
Still doesn't add up to me and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your POV....I just don't comprehend the logic.

the Jets played a 3-4 for the last 3 seasons right? The Jets have a rookie QB but so did the Falcons and the Ravens last year and they both made the playoffs right? Both teams had new head coaches right? On top of that you can add my meager points about how they had a better record and better scoring differential than we did last season. I just don't see how one an just assume that we should blow them out unless you are pumping sunshine.

If Ryan throws at us the same style defense as the Ravens did last year, we'll be in for a very long afternoon. Texans have to bring their "A" game this Sunday. This game is absolutely no cakewalk whatsoever.

That's my big area of concern as well. To be fair wasn't it Sage at QB for that game though? Rex Ryan has a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball in NY. My hope is that they miss Ellis and Pace a lot more than they anticipate, and that Gholston continues his regular season sack-less streak. Schaub will have to be smart with the ball as we can't afford to lose the turnover battle.

Still doesn't add up to me and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your POV....I just don't comprehend the logic.

the Jets played a 3-4 for the last 3 seasons right? The Jets have a rookie QB but so did the Falcons and the Ravens last year and they both made the playoffs right? Both teams had new head coaches right? On top of that you can add my meager points about how they had a better record and better scoring differential than we did last season. I just don't see how one an just assume that we should blow them out unless you are pumping sunshine.

I like how anytime you defend the Texans you are automatically lumped into the "sunshine club." Like my argument is devoid of objectivity or reason.

Obviously the Falcons and Ravens of last year are counters to my argument, but they're alse aberrations. Like I said, I don't think it's impossible that the Jets win this game, and I don't think it's impossible that the Jets go on to have a good season.

But, I think the Texans are being sold short here because people are superstitous or are wary of the team because of its history or whatever.

This is simply a game these Texans don't lose. And I don't expect that to be any different here.

I like how anytime you defend the Texans you are automatically lumped into the "sunshine club." Like my argument is devoid of objectivity or reason.

Obviously the Falcons and Ravens of last year are counters to my argument, but they're alse aberrations. Like I said, I don't think it's impossible that the Jets win this game, and I don't think it's impossible that the Jets go on to have a good season.

But, I think the Texans are being sold short here because people are superstitous or are wary of the team because of its history or whatever.

This is simply a game these Texans don't lose. And I don't expect that to be any different here.
well, if I was at say the 49ers forum and one of their members stated that they should beat a team with a better record last year soundly and without hesitation, I'd consider him to be giving a homer take. Nothing personal.

this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.

The Jets are NOT a mediocre team.......they have talent everywhere and the only thing that hurt them last season was mediocre (actually horrible) QB play, when Brett Farve fell off a cliff.

If Sanchez (a rookie QB) can play mistake free football and make a decent amount of plays, the Jets have a VERY good chance at winning this game on the road, because of the talent they have on BOTH sides of the ball (especially that running game). Sounds familiar doesn't it, instead of the KC game of 2007.......this sounds more familiar to the Ravens game of 2008....and we all know how that went, so Houston BETTER be ready to play, especially against the run.

Last edited:
All I know is Marks gonna have to change his first name to "Dirty" after we get done w him come Sunday!

If the Texans players share this "easy win" view, maybe we fans will be reminded of last year's Raider game.

========

One of the things this team has to learn is the importance of every game, every series, and every snap. It seems they've gone into games expecting wins before and gotten beat. They need to know in their guts every game is going to be a hard fought contest. Until they do, there will always be a high probability of an inexplicable loss or two that tarnish their record.

I know I'm projecting a fan's view to the team, but we've seen it happen before.

If the Texans players share this "easy win" view, maybe we fans will be reminded of last year's Raider game.

========

One of the things this team has to learn is the importance of every game, every series, and every snap. It seems they've gone into games expecting wins before and gotten beat. They need to know in their guts every game is going to be a hard fought contest. Until they do, there will always be a high probability of an inexplicable loss or two that tarnish their record.

I know I'm projecting a fan's view to the team, but we've seen it happen before.

What you seem to be failing to grasp is that we have a "cupcake schedule". Big men like football players eat cupcakes in one bite, so this is easily a 15-1 or 16-0 team when you objectively analyze it through the cupcake prism.

Man I can't wait to hear the sound of (however many Jets fans there are) jaws hitting the ground if they lose. Good thing being a QB in the NFL isn't hard enough (and that doesn't even begin to go into how GOOD or not he is) now try to appease the assholes that live in New York City and the media circus they run. I must say though, while he gets the sensual massage from ESPN he seems more down-to-earth than say....Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart. Cushing too. Seems like they both buy into working hard and playing well more than riding the wave of cameras to a mediocre legacy.

I hope the Texans are coming into this game that cocky, thinking the Jets are a mediocre team....

I have been telling Kerry Rhodes how no one thinks the Jets can win this game, and how everyone thinks Andre Johnson will beast him. I think hes coming into this game with a extra chip on his shoulder.

I hope the Texans are coming into this game that cocky, thinking the Jets are a mediocre team....

I have been telling Kerry Rhodes how no one thinks the Jets can win this game, and how everyone thinks Andre Johnson will beast him. I think hes coming into this game with a extra chip on his shoulder.

Kerry Rhodes is a safety, no? Over on the jetsinsider board, Jets fans almost unanimously seem to expect CB Darrelle Revis to single-handedly shut Andre Johnson down using man-to-man coverage. Unless Kerry Rhodes is trying to catch Andre Johnson sprinting through the middle of the field after a catch, I am not sure what chance to best Johnson he might have.

Kerry Rhodes is a safety, no? Over on the jetsinsider board, Jets fans almost unanimously seem to expect CB Revis to single-handedly shut Andre Johnson down using man-to-man coverage. Unless Kerry Rhodes is trying to catch Andre Johnson sprinting through the middle of the field, I am not sure what chance to best Johnson he might have.

Rhodes will be all over the place, hes going to be a roamer this season. I doubt they single cover Andre Johnson every play.
I'm excited to see what he'll do this year, last season Mangini had Rhodes in prevent all the time. Hes excited to play back at what hes good at, blitzing, jumping routes and being everywhere just a playmaker. No doubt in my mind Rhodes will show that he is a top 3 safety in the NFL.

Rhodes will be all over the place, hes going to be a roamer this season. I doubt they single cover Andre Johnson every play.
I'm excited to see what he'll do this year, last season Mangini had Rhodes in prevent all the time. Hes excited to play back at what hes good at, blitzing, jumping routes and being everywhere just a playmaker. No doubt in my mind Rhodes will show that he is a top 3 safety in the NFL.

The Texans will frequently use three wide outs, and then of course there is the tight end Own Daniels. So on many plays, there will be four receivers that need to be covered. What will Rhodes do on plays like that? He will man up on someone, right? Or are you saying that the Jets play a lot of zone coverage?

The Texans will frequently use three wide outs, and then of course there is the tight end Own Daniels. So on many plays, there will be four receivers that need to be covered. What will Rhodes do on plays like that? He will man up on someone, right? Or are you saying that the Jets play a lot of zone coverage?

I'm not really sure yet with what they'll do as its a new system and they didn't really show much in the preseason, only used 1 coverage scheme. I just know that Rhodes was given a lot of freedom in this defense to make plays. I'm interested to see how this defense does against a very good offense. We have a tough stretch starting off the season, we play you guys then the Patriots so 2 explosive offenses right away. Then the Titans who I am actually not that worried about some reason never worried about the Titans, guess cause their offense doesn't scare me.
Then we play the Saints and their explosive offense... So we play 3 top tier offenses to start the season.

I'm not really sure yet with what they'll do as its a new system and they didn't really show much in the preseason, only used 1 coverage scheme. I just know that Rhodes was given a lot of freedom in this defense to make plays. I'm interested to see how this defense does against a very good offense. We have a tough stretch starting off the season, we play you guys then the Patriots so 2 explosive offenses right away. Then the Titans who I am actually not that worried about some reason never worried about the Titans, guess cause their offense doesn't scare me.
Then we play the Saints and their explosive offense... So we play 3 top tier offenses to start the season.

The Titans usually have an impressive run control offense, and are not to be taken lightly. Of course they are beatable, but you guys will want to make sure you have your britches cinched up when you play against the Titans. No question the Jets could lose that game.

Everyone on your board seems to be very excited about the Rex Ryan and the very aggressive and creative defensive schemes that he employs. It sounds like he uses a lot of blitz packages. Once again, if you are going to bring an extra guy or two on a blitz, that is fewer people left for coverage in the secondary. In those cases, I would expect man-to-man coverage. How good is Kerry Rhodes as a man-up cover guy? And how good of a blitzer is he? Did he get any sacks last year?

The Titans usually have an impressive run control offense, and are not to be taken lightly. Of course they are beatable, but you guys will want to make sure you have your britches cinched up when you play against the Titans. No question the Jets could lose that game.

Everyone on your board seems to be very excited about the Rex Ryan and the very aggressive and creative defensive schemes that he employs. It sounds like he uses a lot of blitz packages. Once again, if you are going to bring an extra guy or two on a blitz, that is fewer people left for coverage in the secondary. In those cases, I would expect man-to-man coverage. How good is Kerry Rhodes as a man-up cover guy? And how good of a blitzer is he? Did he get any sacks last year?

You guys can go back and forth all day about this, there are some qualities the Texans have that the Jets don't and some qualities the Jets have that the Texans don't. That's what should be fun about it. Our greatest strength is our defense, the Texan's is their offense.

You guys can go back and forth all day about this, there are some qualities the Texans have that the Jets don't and some qualities the Jets have that the Texans don't. That's what should be fun about it. Our greatest strength is our defense, the Texan's is their offense.

The back and forth is what we do here.

Talk some football with me Dmitri. I have tried to share my insights and perspective on the Texans on your board. Teach us something about your team. I will re-post my question to KRhodes about his namesake - Jets Safety Kerry Rhodes, below:

Do you have any insights that you might be willing to share with us?

He really doesn't go in man to man coverage, hes a great blitzer. He had one of the most TFL last year at safety. His best is when he would blitz and drop into coverage, when you have to watch where he is. Hes great at jumping routes and has a lot of range out at safety.
From what I know about the defense is a lot of movement and freedom, just like the Ravens were as that was Rex's defensive scheme.

About the Titans, I know they are a good team. I just always feel like were going to beat them, we match them pretty well. Last year they couldn't run on us, Kris Jenkins owned Kevin Mawae and whoever else they had in the inside.

And our inside of our OL owned their DT, and took Haynesworth out of the game basically besides one play where he got a sack lining up in a different spot.

He really doesn't go in man to man coverage, hes a great blitzer. He had one of the most TFL last year at safety. His best is when he would blitz and drop into coverage, when you have to watch where he is. Hes great at jumping routes and has a lot of range out at safety.
From what I know about the defense is a lot of movement and freedom, just like the Ravens were as that was Rex's defensive scheme.

About the Titans, I know they are a good team. I just always feel like were going to beat them, we match them pretty well. Last year they couldn't run on us, Kris Jenkins owned Kevin Mawae and whoever else they had in the inside.

And our inside of our OL owned their DT, and took Haynesworth out of the game basically besides one play where he got a sack lining up in a different spot.

So, with Ryans blitzing schemes and Rhodes being a great blitzer, we could certainly might expect to see Rhodes crashing the line in an effort to take down Schaub. That is certainly not something we want to see on Sunday. The Texans are going to need to keep a close eye on this guy, or he sounds like he could be trouble.

So, with Ryans blitzing schemes and Rhodes being a great blitzer, we could certainly might expect to see Rhodes crashing the line in an effort to take down Schaub. That is certainly not something we want to see on Sunday. The Texans are going to need to keep a close eye on this guy, or he sounds like he could be trouble.

Yeah he was given the green light to blitz whenever he wants, if he sees something hes allowed to come in. You have to watch out for him as he times his blitz so well and is so fast into the backfield.
The Jets are going to need to be creative in their defense to get pressure with Ellis and Pace out, I think we will blitz David Harris at a good amount, hes like a DE at pass rushing something that surprised the coaching staff when he was a rookie, last year he was injured so his numbers dropped. But he is healthy right now and looks primed for a big year.

So the guys to keep an eye out for are Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott, David Harris, Darrelle Revis, and Kerry Rhodes. Those are our better players on the field.

Yeah he was given the green light to blitz whenever he wants, if he sees something hes allowed to come in. You have to watch out for him as he times his blitz so well and is so fast into the backfield.
The Jets are going to need to be creative in their defense to get pressure with Ellis and Pace out, I think we will blitz David Harris at a good amount, hes like a DE at pass rushing something that surprised the coaching staff when he was a rookie, last year he was injured so his numbers dropped. But he is healthy right now and looks primed for a big year.

So the guys to keep an eye out for are Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott, David Harris, Darrelle Revis, and Kerry Rhodes. Those are our better players on the field.

That sounds pretty stout up through the middle of the field. But do you guys have any defensive ends that you have any confidence can bring a consistent pass rush?

That sounds pretty stout up through the middle of the field. But do you guys have any defensive ends that you have any confidence can bring a consistent pass rush?

No, with Shaun Ellis out no... He had 8 sacks last year and brought nice pressure, he is a big loss. I liked what I saw out of Vernon Gholston during preseason at DE pass rushing, hes improved from last year. But you guys only have to run at him because he looks bad against the run still. But he has a explosive first step and is very strong, just needs to be consistent. Last year he showed nothing.
Bryan Thomas can have a very good game, he looked good this preseason. He has talent but was lazy, I am hoping with the new attitude on defene he plays harder.

Back