Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

No take aways from Buffalo game?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I dont have a problem if they were young guys ready after 1 yr deals. Ideally, you take on sub 25 yr old guys who didn't pan out and try to rehab them behind the 30 yr old. Thats not happening. So this so called culture of getting their heads bashed in isn't going to work. Like right now, who is worth extending a deal to?
most of them under contract next season are under 30. Plenty of room for young guys next season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How about activate Watson, make him play and if he refuses you void his contract then you dont have to worry about Mills or Taylor this season?
I can’t explain what they’re doing with Watson. I would have made him play the preseason, let him fake an injury & put him on IR.

But then Mills wouldn’t have got the snaps he did & would be worse off now.

But either way, I can’t defend what’s going on with Watson.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I can’t explain what they’re doing with Watson. I would have made him play the preseason, let him fake an injury & put him on IR.

But then Mills wouldn’t have got the snaps he did & would be worse off now.

But either way, I can’t defend what’s going on with Watson.
Hard to defend anything going on with WD40 these days. I can’t believe he’s able to sit out and still get paid less than a year after signing this mega deal. Completely ridiculous all around.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I dont have a problem if they were young guys ready after 1 yr deals. Ideally, you take on sub 25 yr old guys who didn't pan out and try to rehab them behind the 30 yr old. Thats not happening. So this so called culture of getting their heads bashed in isn't going to work. Like right now, who is worth extending a deal to?
Maybe Reid/ KGH/Kirksey/Collins

Jack Burton

Veteran
The Texans must have had a great game for there not to be a take away thread created until now. Or am I just not seeing it?

I predicted the Texans would lose this game 45-6. I gave the Texans offense waaay too much credit. Oddly enough, they had a chance to lead in this game early but Culley elected to go for the shut-out. So far, he's been terrible. He's been exactly what Texian and some of us thought he would be. Every time someone on this board mentioned what a nice guy he is, I thought of this scene-

Buffalo took them all away.

vtech9

All Pro
My takeaway from this game is that the coaches didn't believe we had a chance to win, so they went into turtle mode, which took all chance away. Any time we had a positive play, we seemed to have a negative one to counteract it.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I wonder if the fans of the Jaguars, and Colts view this as a throwaway season as well. The Titans should be 1-3 s well , Seattle choked big time in that game. If they would’ve lost (Titans) would their fans look at the rest of the season as a throwaway?

banned1976

sleeper mode
My take away, some people on this forum seem to have had completely unrealistic expectations of this season.
TBH, if someone would have told me right after the 2021 draft and free agency that the Texans would lose a game 40-0 during the 2021 season, I'd say "I believe it".

I'm not angry about anything I've seen so far. I'm not mad at Culley, Caserio, or Mills. This is the team Cal built. And to a certain extent, considering he brought O'Brien in to begin with, Cal's daddy.

My expectations for this team, in the present and in the future, could not be lower. I wrote before the season I expect two to four wins in 2021. I now feel like two to four wins in 2022 is likely. Admittedly, a lot could change between now and then. But I had very little faith in this coaching staff to begin with and what I'm seeing the power that be's are doing with the quarterback position, my confidence in them turning this thing around within three years is close to zero.

I'm just watching the games for shits and giggles.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
My take away, some people on this forum seem to have had completely unrealistic expectations of this season.
No one expected us to win the super bowl or hell even make the playoffs, but Mills was straight dog poo. It took the little bit of hope we had for a bright future and burned it. Now we have zero hope, zero chance to turn things around in 1-2 years. We have to completely tear this down and it's miserable as a lifelong Texans fan.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wonder if the fans of the Jaguars, and Colts view this as a throwaway season as well. The Titans should be 1-3 s well , Seattle choked big time in that game. If they would’ve lost (Titans) would their fans look at the rest of the season as a throwaway?
I wouldn't think they do. They acquired players in FA & the Draft & they believe their coaches can win in this league.

They at least believe they're building something.

I have not been touting the team as a playoff team let alone a title contender but I did feel they could win at least 5 games and maybe even as many as 7.

I don't think any other posters had ridiculous expectations, most of the positive posters saw the team the way I did. If we play out the rest of the season with DM10 my expectations go down to 3 wins at most.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Passive aggressive. They're not forcing his hand, yet he's not playing. Why throw away that money and the hit you will take on a trade if you don't have too?
Personally I dont care what they do with him as long as he never plays another down for the Texans. I think you know my thoughts on where he should end up after all of this is said and done.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I wouldn't think they do. They acquired players in FA & the Draft & they believe their coaches can win in this league.

I.E., those fans have hope for a brighter future for their teams. Those other fans also have seen their teams get at least one step away from a Super Bowl appearance...Colts and Seahawks fans have one SB win a piece to remember. Our (or at least my) fondest memories are of the Texans playing Baltimore in the divisional round 10 years ago.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
TBH, if someone would have told me right after the 2021 draft and free agency that the Texans would lose a game 40-0 during the 2021 season, I'd say "I believe it".

I'm not angry about anything I've seen so far. I'm not mad at Culley, Caserio, or Mills. This is the team Cal built. And to a certain extent, considering he brought O'Brien in to begin with, Cal's daddy.

My expectations for this team, in the present and in the future, could not be lower. I wrote before the season I expect two to four wins in 2021. I now feel like two to four wins in 2022 is likely. Admittedly, a lot could change between now and then. But I had very little faith in this coaching staff to begin with and what I'm seeing the power that be's are doing with the quarterback position, my confidence in them turning this thing around within three years is close to zero.

I'm just watching the games for shits and giggles.
Most people on here had them as a 3-4 win team, so your prediction wasn't some great revelation to most posters. Heck Vegas had them not winning a game and they've surpassed that. They've played a tough schedule and are where they should be at this point in the season.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Most people on here had them as a 3-4 win team, so your prediction wasn't some great revelation to most posters. Heck Vegas had them not winning a game and they've surpassed that. They've played a tough schedule and are where they should be at this point in the season.
The 40-0 loss was bad. But you are correct 1-3 was the expectation especially after Tyrod went down.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Just like we did and yet they’re sitting right there with us in suckville.

Very interesting in the way we as Texans fans think. If both the Titans and Colts only win 8 games or less. That shows they’re heading in the wrong direction and their fans will be very disappointed

Texansballer74

The Marine
I have not been touting the team as a playoff team let alone a title contender but I did feel they could win at least 5 games and maybe even as many as 7.

I don't think any other posters had ridiculous expectations, most of the positive posters saw the team the way I did. If we play out the rest of the season with DM10 my expectations go down to 3 wins at most.
Indeed, now there was a bunch of what IF’s thrown out there by me and a few other members. Maybe he took those what IF’s as high expectations. We know some people will get things twisted around these parts from time to time.

Zack Wilson had a game almost as bad as the one DM had Sunday afternoon but to give up on him and the team after that one performance would have been foolish.

At this time DM deserves at least one more game to show he is getting better or that he won't be near as bad as he was yesterday. It really can't get any worse.

For those who want no part of Cam Newton I found other options you all may feel are doable. 5 Houston Texans quarterback options after Davis Mills’ struggles (yahoo.com)

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame

The 5 -7 win expectation was predicated on TT under center. I also miscalculated on the level of play we would get from Howard at LG. The 3rd miscalculation was the production from our RB's. Defensively, the Texans are mostly playing to my expectations.

TT has to miss one more start and will be eligible to start against the Colts, depending of course, on the evaluation of his return by team doctors.

If, and it's a big if, TT could stay healthy the remainder of the season, we could still win 5 or 6 games, mainly because the Titans and Colts are not playing to expectations and we could win a couple of unexpected games against them.

Rag against Mills and the team, but we knew the start of the season was going to be tough. Injuries have made it tougher but that's football.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I think most fans knew this would be a throw away season and might have been fooled by the opening performance against the Jags. However, even in a throw away season, with the roster churn and all this talk about Culley's positivity and culture change, we expected them to at least play hard, play smart, coach better and be competitive.

In game one, Mark Ingram had 26 carries and 85 yards. In games 2, 3 and 4? He has 26 carries for 86 in those three games. Regardless if it's a throw away season, the running game and OL should be the strength of this team. Right now they are even worst than the QB play.

So, my takeaway from this game. The OL and running game are still a mess and for the first time this season, the coaching staff also seemed unprepared. I can accept a loss where the opponent was just better and the Texans played hard and were competitive. That crap on display yesterday was not being competitive.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Zack Wilson had a game almost as bad as the one DM had Sunday afternoon but to give up on him and the team after that one performance would have been foolish.

At this time DM deserves at least one more game to show he is getting better or that he won't be near as bad as he was yesterday. It really can't get any worse.

For those who want no part of Cam Newton I found other options you all may feel are doable. 5 Houston Texans quarterback options after Davis Mills’ struggles (yahoo.com)
Wilson has special traits that even Stevie Wonder can see. Davis Mills doesn't have any special traits

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just like we did and yet they’re sitting right there with us in suckville.
You're right. Don't know what I was thinking.

Very interesting in the way we as Texans fans think. If both the Titans and Colts only win 8 games or less. That shows they’re heading in the wrong direction and their fans will be very disappointed
Yeah, most of our fans are jaded for whatever reason, & for good reason. But yes, if those two teams don't make the playoffs, their fans would be mad. Our fans at 0-3 would be dreaming about draft picks & btch if they win a game. I'm sure there's some of that on the Colts forum.

I'm going to go check out the Colts forum, see if I can find anyone upset that they won.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Davis Mills is spending his Senior CFB season with the Texans. He's going to need some time and patience from the team and fans during this process. I would've loved seeing him get to carry the clipboard this season but Taylor's injury slid him right into the fire.

For me....the moment Taylor is well enough to play he's back at QB1 and Mills is back to carrying the clipboard and studying film with a completely different perspective.

If those out there see Mills as taking his lumps under fire as he matures....then why not trade Taylor before the deadline to a team that may need his services if one of their QB1's goes down. At least then the Texans could get something out of this Taylor signing.

I'm still watching and hoping the Texans are in a position to draft Pitt QB, Kenny Pickett who's probably going to be moving up the draft charts. His 41 current starts is what I like most since he'll truly be a seasoned CFB QB1. Worth noting, he could have 9 more potential starts including a Bowl Game which would give him 50 CFB starts in non-conference and ACC games. He's obviously learning and getting better since his Senior season is trending towards being his finest yet.

vtech9

All Pro

I'd be ok with Foles and Jordan Love. Honestly, I don't think Lock would be an improvement over Mills. Minshew? No, just no. Garapolo, not going to happen. I really don't think GB would part ways with Love. They are in a similar place as they were at the end of the Favre era. So, Foles is really the only feasible option.

vtech9

All Pro
Davis Mills is spending his Senior CFB season with the Texans. He's going to need some time and patience from the team and fans during this process. I would've loved seeing him get to carry the clipboard this season but Taylor's injury slid him right into the fire.

For me....the moment Taylor is well enough to play he's back at QB1 and Mills is back to carrying the clipboard and studying film with a completely different perspective.

If those out there see Mills as taking his lumps under fire as he matures....then why not trade Taylor before the deadline to a team that may need his services if one of their QB1's goes down. At least then the Texans could get something out of this Taylor signing.

I'm still watching and hoping the Texans are in a position to draft Pitt QB, Kenny Pickett who's probably going to be moving up the draft charts. His 41 current starts is what I like most since he'll truly be a seasoned CFB QB1. Worth noting, he could have 9 more potential starts including a Bowl Game which would give him 50 CFB starts in non-conference and ACC games. He's obviously learning and getting better since his Senior season is trending towards being his finest yet.
So where do you see Pickett going in the draft? 2nd round? 3rd? In the 2nd round, maybe. In the 3rd, sure. In the 1st, hard pass.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I'm on board with trading Taylor if you can get a rd 3 pick or better for him.

Not gonna happen

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'd be ok with Foles and Jordan Love. Honestly, I don't think Lock would be an improvement over Mills. Minshew? No, just no. Garapolo, not going to happen. I really don't think GB would part ways with Love. They are in a similar place as they were at the end of the Favre era. So, Foles is really the only feasible option.
Why? Do you think they will win more games with Foles at QB?

Go back and look at Foles tape last yr, it wasn't good.

Is the goal to try to win as many games as possible this yr?