Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Why has Devlin gone unnoticed through all this bs? He’s probably THE first position coach that should be thrown out of NRG. I hope Caserio brings in a good offensive line coach this offseason!
I hope whoever they bring in as the HC brings a guy in. Much as I like the things Caserio has done I don't want him hiring or firing position coaches. GM hires/fires the HC and the HC hires/fires position coaches is the way I like to see it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I hope whoever they bring in as the HC brings a guy in. Much as I like the things Caserio has done I don't want him hiring or firing position coaches. GM hires/fires the HC and the HC hires/fires position coaches is the way I like to see it.
I'm not sure you would get a lot of good head coaches accepting the position if they can't hire their staff and be responsible for the 51 player roster.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why has Devlin gone unnoticed through all this bs? He’s probably THE first position coach that should be thrown out of NRG. I hope Caserio brings in a good offensive line coach this offseason!
I thought Devlin was let go the week our season ended.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly

Unfortunately with ownership that was the 1st to fire will be the last to hire. They will miss out on the best asst coaches. Hopefully ownership stays out of the hiring of asst coaches as well.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Eric Bieniemy’s interview with the Texans went really well according to reports. There was only one detail: Bieniemy wants at least partial roster control. Don’t know how that’ll sit with Caserio, but I imagine that he’s used to that kinda thing since that’s what Belichick did in NE anyway.

Again, what does that even mean? Partial roster control? I'm sorry, but the HC SHOULD have TOTAL roster control. He's the guy working with and coaching these guys every day, not the GM. The GM's job is to scout and bring in the type of players, through FA, trades and draft, the HC needs to work his system. The GM is not out there coaching these guys up in practice every day. So this roster control stuff, I just don't get.

"Hey Nick, I need a big run stuffer in the middle to help this defense work the way I want it too."

"OK coach, we've got a couple of guys we're looking at, let me go work my magic."

Is that not how it's supposed to work? All this power and control BS.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Again, what does that even mean? Partial roster control? I'm sorry, but the HC SHOULD have TOTAL roster control. He's the guy working with and coaching these guys every day, not the GM. The GM's job is to scout and bring in the type of players, through FA, trades and draft, the HC needs to work his system. The GM is not out there coaching these guys up in practice every day. So this roster control stuff, I just don't get.

"Hey Nick, I need a big run stuffer in the middle to help this defense work the way I want it too."

"OK coach, we've got a couple of guys we're looking at, let me go work my magic."

Does it become more specific than that?

When NC says I have a couple of guys, does the HC say -

“No - I want x player. Go get him. “

And if NC says - “no I am not. I think x player is better value. Use him.”

Does it become that type of control? Is it more than ordering a cake to ordering a German Chocolate and no Funfetti?

Also, if there are players to cut playing the same position does Nick get to chose or the HC?

I bet it gets really specific.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Does it become that type of control? Is it more than ordering a cake to ordering a German Chocolate and no Funfetti?

Also, if there are players to cut playing the same position does Nick get to chose or the HC?

Great questions. During Hard Knocks wasn’t it Smith and BOB making the call together who got cut? I honestly can’t recall but it appeared to work that way at least what they were doing. I for sure recall BOB actually telling the players...

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Does the HC have a scouting team that reports to him? If not, he doesn't need to be in on player A vs. player B. That's what a GM is for. That's the whole purpose of the GM position. Now, maybe HC worked with player A before, knows him and what he's capable of, and in that case maybe he makes his case with the GM about that player. Then the GM and HC can tackle those situations on a case by case basis. I think the GM should still have final say on that because he still has to find a way to get that player, if a trade is needed or there's contract concerns or what have you.

But for the most part, HC says this is what I need, GM fills the 90 man roster with that, then HC whittles it down to 53. That's the part HC should have total control in.

Last edited:
Does the HC have a scouting team that reports to him? If not, he doesn't need to be in on player A vs. player B. That's what a GM is for. That's the whole purpose of the GM position. Now, maybe HC worked with player A before, knows him and what he's capable of, and in that case maybe he makes his case with the GM about that player. Then then GM and HC can tackle those situations on a case by case basis. I think the GM should still have final say on that because he still has to find a way to get that player, if a trade is needed or there's contract concerns or what have you.

But for the most part, HC says this is what I need, GM fills the 90 man roster with that, then HC whittles it down to 53. That's the part HC should have total control in.
Your HC could still be handicapped if the GM and his scouting department sucks. I don't think there is a perfect blueprint, the two entities have to be on the same page or it will not work. If you couple a GM/HC power struggle with a dysfunctional owner you will have the Texans over the past 6 years.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Your HC could still be handicapped if the GM and his scouting department sucks. I don't think there is a perfect blueprint, the two entities have to be on the same page or it will not work. If you couple a GM/HC power struggle with a dysfunctional owner you will have the Texans over the past 6 years.
Of course, that's why it starts with the GM hiring his guy for HC. Unfortunately, it looks like the GM might have to hire the QBs guy instead and the dysfunction is likely to continue.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you couple a GM/HC power struggle with a dysfunctional owner you will have the Texans over the past 6 years.
True. Which is why Cal needs to make it clear. This is the GMs team. Everything goes through him.

Making the HC & GM equals, reporting to the owner is at the root of the backstabbing & infighting. IMO.

Your HC could still be handicapped if the GM and his scouting department sucks. I don't think there is a perfect blueprint, the two entities have to be on the same page or it will not work.
& your GM is handicapped if the coach keeps putting square pegs in round holes.

The roles need to be clear. The GM finds the talent & the coach coaches it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Does the HC have a scouting team that reports to him? If not, he doesn't need to be in on player A vs. player B. That's what a GM is for. That's the whole purpose of the GM position. Now, maybe HC worked with player A before, knows him and what he's capable of, and in that case maybe he makes his case with the GM about that player. Then the GM and HC can tackle those situations on a case by case basis. I think the GM should still have final say on that because he still has to find a way to get that player, if a trade is needed or there's contract concerns or what have you.

If the HC says get me this guy the GM should do everything possible to make it happen.

BOB wanting Jimmy G and Mahomes and RS not making it happen is a great example of what happens when the GM/HC aren't on the same page. A couple of examples of a GM/HC being on the same page and being very successful are Reid/Veatch/Lynch/ Lil Shanny.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Unfortunately in the Texans org the owner hires the HC not the GM and gives the GM/HC equal power.

There's the root of the problem

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Seems to me like EB is going to be forced on Caserio. This hire will be totally on Cuck, don't kid yourself.
Interesting article on why some people use the “cuck”.

“Cuck” is a concept borne out of insecurity: a fear that one is inadequate, sexually or otherwise, and that inadequacy will lead to the loss of the things that are important to him.

NSJS.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Seems to me like EB is going to be forced on Caserio. This hire will be totally on Cuck, don't kid yourself.
Many people here have wanted Bieniemy from day one. How do you know Caserio didn't as well?

Again, you act as if Bieniemy is totally unqualified. & as if he's already hired.

From what I'm hearing we may be hiring Leslie Frazier & the Texans are going to let fate decide. Whoever becomes available this weekend will most likely get an offer.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Many people here have wanted Bieniemy from day one. How do you know Caserio didn't as well?

Again, you act as if Bieniemy is totally unqualified. & as if he's already hired.

From what I'm hearing we may be hiring Leslie Frazier & the Texans are going to let fate decide. Whoever becomes available this weekend will most likely get an offer.
WB screams a Caserio hire? Yeah right.

I would actually like Frazier to be hired. Even though he wouldn't be my 1
Interesting article on why some people use the “cuck”.

“Cuck” is a concept borne out of insecurity: a fear that one is inadequate, sexually or otherwise, and that inadequacy will lead to the loss of the things that are important to him.

NSJS.
Describes Cuck perfectly.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

In theory, that sounds great, but I don't think it's that simple. You have to factor in value as well, which is where the GM comes in. The coach's job is to ask for the world, the GM's job is to give him reality.

Also, coaches get too emotionally attached to players. That's why I like having a GM that will balance that out. I really wish there was a GM that stopped BOB and said, "I know you love Mercilus and Nick Martin, but there's no way I'm going to pay them that much."

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

This is probably a blue print for successful organizations. We should try it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
WB screams a Caserio hire? Yeah right.

I would actually like Frazier to be hired. Even though he wouldn't be my 1
Nothing says WINNING more than hiring a former NFL head coach with a .398 winning %.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
In theory, that sounds great, but I don't think it's that simple. You have to factor in value as well, which is where the GM comes in. The coach's job is to ask for the world, the GM's job is to give him reality.

Also, coaches get too emotionally attached to players. That's why I like having a GM that will balance that out. I really wish there was a GM that stopped BOB and said, "I know you love Mercilus and Nick Martin, but there's no way I'm going to pay them that much."
Which opens up a very interesting point. I think the reason BB makes the GM/HC in one person combo work is because he is a GM first and a HC second. You can tell he doesn't get to attached to players, even was ready to cut Brady at the first sign of him slowing down, and he looks at value more than the person. That maybe why he brings in the people like Easterby or Caserio to be that personal connection to player that he doesn't allow himself to have. That maybe a lot of why OB failed because he was a HC first and a GM second so he made decisions like a HC then used the power of being GM to see them through.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Which opens up a very interesting point. I think the reason BB makes the GM/HC in one person combo work is because he is a GM first and a HC second. You can tell he doesn't get to attached to players, even was ready to cut Brady at the first sign of him slowing down, and he looks at value more than the person. That maybe why he brings in the people like Easterby or Caserio to be that personal connection to player that he doesn't allow himself to have. That maybe a lot of why OB failed because he was a HC first and a GM second so he made decisions like a HC then used the power of being GM to see them through.
Good point, BB also likes to send his admins out to face the press to discuss the draft, new players, etc. I often refer to BB admins as clerks and not managers. IMO I see Caserio as just another episode of doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If the Texans trade Watson, that's basically what Frazier would have in Houston. #WINNING
Neither of the posts he quoted said hire Frazier if Watson is traded... but if so, Wilson has much more upside than Ponder did

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nothing says WINNING more than hiring a former NFL head coach with a .398 winning %.
I know, I just want a defensive guy 1st and foremost.

I don't want DW4 to get everything he wants
Even though he's getting his minority hire.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Seems to me like EBNYC. is going to be forced on Caserio. This hire will be totally on Cuck, don't kid yourself.
My reading between the lines is if DW4 insisted on EB, Cal would capitulate. I believe that ship has sailed. IMO DW4 has already made up his mind to hopefully go to NYC. Don "Wink" Martindale has a similar personality and character of Bill Belichick and could be the Texans next head coach.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Maybe Belichick sees the writing on the wall in NE. As with any great coach whose system looks amazing....you can usually trace that back to a great QB operating the system. Belichick is reaching the age where he'll have to ask himself if coaching without Tom Brady is going to be the same satisfying experience. Worse yet....a couple more bad seasons and he could force the Patriots to fire him. Seriously, is that how he wants his Patriots legacy to come to an end?

I wonder how Easterby would react if Rootes was released and Bill Belichick was brought as President of Foorball Operations. Cal would have finally found his Holy Grail. I don't think Belichick would hae any problems ditching Easterby in favor of keeping Watson.....or discussing the benefits of trading a disgruntled Watson for enough picks to start a serious rebuild in earnest. There has to be someone in this organization with enough balls and savvy to convince Cal that Easterby has to go in the best interest and overall health of his franchise.