Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Texian

Hall of Fame
I have no dog in this hunt so "want this to be the way" is irrelevant.

Even if Caserio suggested Culley as your imagination describes it, the McNairs made the final decision.
I think you're smart enough to know that wanting Cal to be behind the Culley hiring was not directed at you. There were two quotes being responded to. I've never said Cal doesn't have the final say, I have acknowledged as much even if it is a rubber stamp approval as it was in the Culley case.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have no dog in this hunt so "want this to be the way" is irrelevant.

Even if Caserio suggested Culley as your imagination describes it, the McNairs made the final decision.
I believe Cal told Caserio he wanted to hire a minority HC to try to keep Derrick in the fold. Caserio said ok because he knew it was going to take a couple of yrs to rebuild the team even with Derrick at QB.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I believe Cal told Caserio he wanted to hire a minority HC to try to keep Derrick in the fold. Caserio said ok because he knew it was going to take a couple of yrs to rebuild the team even with Derrick at QB.
IF that is the case, then both Cal and Nick should be run out of town by a fan base waving torches and pitchforks. That has got to be one of the dumbest reasonings to make one of the most important decisions for your football franchise.

I'm reaching the conclusion that they all suck and will always suck. This city deserves better football owners than Bud Adams and Cal McNair, but deserve ain't got nothing to do with it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They will "hold him accountable" once the draft capital from the Towel Boy debacle has been properly squandered away. lol :bubbles:
You hire a guy and let him do his job. This is what Cal has failed to do. A man cant do what he was supposedly hired to do when HC's like Lovie are forced down his throat.

I liked last yrs draft. What people are complaining about is 3 of the draft class are currently hurt. Green got hurt and Metchie got cancer, there was no way to predict these outcomes. Stingley is another story and even he might beat the odds, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Hopefully Green comes back from injury and becomes a better version of the guy we saw for the 1st three months of the season and Metchie is what they drafted him to be. I think these guys along with Pierce and Harris are a solid foundation. Hopefully Cal lets Caserio continue to build out the trenches this draft. Then draft a QB/WR in the next draft.

In the 2023 draft if there's a WR that Caserio really likes in the 3rd/4th rd range then I hope he picks that guy. Hopefully Caserio valuesthe trenches enough to spend atleast the 1st three picks in the draft on the DL/IOL because those are the major weaknesses on the team.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You hire a guy and let him do his job. This is what Cal has failed to do. A man cant do what he was supposedly hired to do when HC's like Lovie are forced down his throat.
Yep. This is why I think it is ultimately hopeless to expect the McNairs to ever understand how to build a champion. They don't know their limitations and appear to value their own judgement more then they do the football people they hire.

I liked last yrs draft. What people are complaining about is 3 of the draft class are currently hurt. Green got hurt and Metchie got cancer, there was no way to predict these outcomes. Stingley is another story and even he might beat the odds, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Hopefully Green comes back from injury and becomes a better version of the guy we saw for the 1st three months of the season and Metchie is what they drafted him to be. I think these guys along with Pierce and Harris are a solid foundation. Hopefully Cal lets Caserio continue to build out the trenches this draft. Then draft a QB/WR in the next draft.

In the 2023 draft if there's a WR that Caserio really likes in the 3rd/4th rd range then I hope he picks that guy. Hopefully Caserio valuesthe trenches enough to spend atleast the 1st three picks in the draft on the DL/IOL because those are the major weaknesses on the team.
The inherent problem with any talent they bring here is not having an optimal situation to develop them to get better with the best coaches the owners can find.

I do not believe for a second that anyone is getting better under Lovie and Pep and the rest of them. I see regression, if anything.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yep. This is why I think it is ultimately hopeless to expect the McNairs to ever understand how to build a champion. They don't know their limitations and appear to value their own judgement more then they do the football people they hire.
….we’ve seen it both ways here.

Smithiak and BoB were all “football guys”. Smithiak were trusted to put a team together but couldn’t figure out how to hire a DC…had 2 hacks at it until old man McNair stepped in and did it for them…then we went the other way with BoB…who everyone believes the McNairs trusted too much and watched as he slowly but surely ran everyone out of here trying to consolidate power…dude even cussed fans out and still stayed for a while after that.

So the bottom line is…as a fan or owner, you have to take the good with the bad…as an owner you’re damned if you interfere too much, or you’re damned if you don’t and let these guys run ruffshod over your franchise…which is really the story with all these owners; As a fan, you either want these guys to be as invested as you are & wind up with an owner on the level of Jerry Jones who is constantly tweaking & overriding his football guys…or you get an owner whose virtually hands off and has to be awakened in his/her owner’s suite by alarming incidents happening with their team before they do anything….ala Virginia McCaskey and Bud Adams in his final years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A man cant do what he was supposedly hired to do when HC's like Lovie are forced down his throat.
From what I remember, it was a decision made over a few hours. Doesn't sound like "forced down his throat" to me.

At the time I felt Cal appealed to Caserio's reason.

But if he was "forced down his throat" if he was told to get off the headset, if he's being dictated to, why do we want him as our GM? If he's just doing what he's told, why do we want him to use those first round picks on whoever Cal & Lovie tells him to?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
From what I remember, it was a decision made over a few hours. Doesn't sound like "forced down his throat" to me.

But if he was "forced down his throat" if he was told to get off the headset, if he's being dictated to, why do we want him as our GM? If he's just doing what he's told, why do we want him to use those first round picks on whoever Cal & Lovie tells him to?
Are you listening to steelb as if he was John McClain now?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

TK Do you believe Caserio wanted Lovie to coach this team?

Do you not believe Lovie was a political decision? Hence the "forced" reference.

As for the rest of your post..don't believe everything you read on this site.
Took me awhile, but I respect the job mods do here.

I ignore no one, but I pick and chose who's posts I clik' on and who I give credence to.
Doesn't take long to ferret out the trolls.

Lot's of goofy opinions often expressed here as facts by some.

:coffee:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Do you not believe Lovie was a political decision? Hence the "forced" reference.

As for the rest of your post..don't believe everything you read on this site.
Took me awhile, but I respect the job mods do here.

I ignore no one, but I pick and chose who's posts I clik' on and who I give credence to.
Doesn't take long to ferret out the trolls.

Lot's of goofy opinions often expressed here as facts by some.

:coffee:
Well said

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Do you do what your boss tells you to do? Even though you may disagree with his decision you work around his decisions sometimes to get the job done. This is no different.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The inherent problem with any talent they bring here is not having an optimal situation to develop them to get better with the best coaches the owners can find.

I do not believe for a second that anyone is getting better under Lovie and Pep and the rest of them. I see regression, if anything.
Yep this has been missing since the Kubiak yrs.

RIP HOF'er Alex Gibbs

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Reading the last few pages of this thread, it feels like we should start calling Caserio, Teflon.

Nick "Teflon" Caserio. Give McCown two interviews, blame Easterby. Hire David Culley and blame Cal wanting to appease Watson. Hire Lovie, blame Cal. If a draft pick sucks, it was a Lovie pick. At the end of the day, nothing negative sticks to Caserio.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Reading the last few pages of this thread, it feels like we should start calling Caserio, Teflon.

Nick "Teflon" Caserio. Give McCown two interviews, blame Easterby. Hire David Culley and blame Cal wanting to appease Watson. Hire Lovie, blame Cal. If a draft pick sucks, it was a Lovie pick. At the end of the day, nothing negative sticks to Caserio.
The McNair's hire the HC's.

What bad draft picks?

Caserio is doing what any good GM does, works together with the HC to get the types of players the HC wants. I wanted Sauce over Stingley, but Lovie checked out the pro days of both Sauce and Stingley and told Caserio he wanted Stingley. What is Caserio supposed to do? Pull a RS and go against his HC who was there for both guys workouts?

That's how the Texans org used to work before Caserio got here and it's a pleasant change.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

And who is allegedly saying these things that are making you feel that way?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

HC hires shouldn't stick to Caserio. The McNair's do and have always hired the HC's. Hopefully after the latest HC hiring failures hopefully this changes.

BTW, was RS held to this standard even though he didn't hire BOB?

I've been critical of some of the moves Caserio has made, but I'm not going to be too critical until 1 season after he makes the picks he got from the Derrick trade. By then we should know Caserio's vision. Hopefully that vision starts with Caserio finally getting the HC of his choosing.

Porky

Hall of Fame
HC hires shouldn't stick to Caserio. The McNair's do and have always hired the HC's. Hopefully after the latest HC hiring failures hopefully this changes.

I've been critical of some of the moves Caserio has made, but I'm not going to be too critical until 1 season after he makes the picks he got from the Derrick trade. By then we should know Caserio's vision. Hopefully that vision starts with Caserio finally getting the HC of his choosing.
seems like a huge double standard re:Casserio v. Rick Smith.

Texansballer74

The Marine

We have two members trashing Caserio on every thread lol. They’re blaming him for everything. Lol

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
seems like a huge double standard re:Casserio v. Rick Smith.
Yes it is

One guy has been here for 2 yrs and has started a rebuild without the HC of his choosing. In RS case he was here for 12 yrs and Kubiak got RS his job. So I agree with you that these were 2 totally different situations and guys like you expect far more out of Caserio after a 1 1/2 drafts than y'all ever did in RS 12 yrs here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Jerry Jones is notorious for telling his coaching staff what to do.
I wasn't talking about Jerrah, I was talking about you and your boss relationship? I bet you do what he asks of you. Speaking of Jerrah, if the HC doesn't do what Jerrah wants you can better believe that HC would be fired. Rightfully so might I add.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I don't believe he wanted Gannon more than he wanted Lovie. He made a BS list of candidates & circumstances removed his guy. Circumstances removed Cal/Easterby's guy. & he was left with BS candidates on a BS list. He picked one.

I think continuity in the coaching staff is a big aspect of the Patriots/Steelers success. & that's what Nick convinced Cal to be the model for this franchise going forward. The guy at the top matters, I'm not saying different. But we need to be like the Steelers & change the HC while keeping as much of the assistance, even coordinators as possible.

I believe Caserio was like, "Well, Gannon is the only one left, but he wants to bring in his own staff." & Cal was like, "well, that's not what we were trying to build. What if we keep Lovie for a year or two, then find our guy."

Now... the assistants don't appear to be doing a great job, so that might be an issue. But, I don't think Gannon was at the top of anybody's list. & I don't think anyone was forced down anyone's throat.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do you do what your boss tells you to do? Even though you may disagree with his decision you work around his decisions sometimes to get the job done. This is no different.
No.

When I had a boss, I did what he wanted me to do more often that what he told me to do. & it got me very far. I've always been able to appeal to logic & convince my boss that I know how to do what he wants, even when it doesn't make sense to him.

On the one hand, you're saying Easterby played Cal like a fiddle, but he's an enigma to Casserio. If Caserio doesn't know how to pull that string that Easterby, BO'b, Rick Smith, & Kubiak found easy... Caserio ain't the guy.

It's really that simple.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Caserio is doing what any good GM does, works together with the HC to get the types of players the HC wants. I wanted Sauce over Stingley, but Lovie checked out the pro days of both Sauce and Stingley and told Caserio he wanted Stingley. What is Caserio supposed to do? Pull a RS and go against his HC who was there for both guys workouts?
He could explain the other guy fits his "system" much better than the one being chosen.

I'm convinced Stingley is Caserio's guy & Lovie is giving us coach speak.

Stingley will look much better when the new HC takes over who uses him to his strengths.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Rick Smith built a top 5 offense & a top 5 defense (top 1 & 2 probably but I can't remember). When Caserio does that here, I'm sure he's going to get some slack. But right now we're at the bottom of the league on both sides of the ball.

No one is expecting top of the league. But we've got to get off the bottom.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He could explain the other guy fits his "system" much better than the one being chosen.

I'm convinced Stingley is Caserio's guy & Lovie is giving us coach speak.

Stingley will look much better when the new HC takes over who uses him to his strengths.
Who went to both Stingley/Sauces pro days? It wasn't Caserio.

Agreed with the last sentence.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rick Smith built a top 5 offense & a top 5 defense (top 1 & 2 probably but I can't remember). When Caserio does that here, I'm sure he's going to get some slack. But right now we're at the bottom of the league on both sides of the ball.

No one is expecting top of the league. But we've got to get off the bottom.
Did RS do that within the in 1 1/2 drafts. A case can be made the offense was Kubiak's (He picked Schaub) and Gibbs He picked Brown and found Briesel as an UDFA. In addition to the trade for Myers.

The defense sucked with RS/Kubiak for yrs until Bob made Kubiak hire Phillips, so I'm not so sure what RS had to do with that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who went to both Stingley/Sauces pro days? It wasn't Caserio.

Agreed with the last sentence.
So you think the Man coverage guy fits Lovie's system, where he's being asked to play predominantly zone coverage fits Lovie's system more than the guy known as a zone cover CB?

Texian

Hall of Fame

That’s because the 2021 season Caserio pretty much proved to everyone he was in way over his head, was clueless and had zero experience as a GM. That is why Caserio is back to being a facilitator doing for Cal and Lovie what he did for Belichick.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That’s because the 2021 season Caserio pretty much proved to everyone he was in way over his head, was clueless and had zero experience as a GM. That is why Caserio is back to being a facilitator doing for Cal and Lovie what he did for Belichick.
But Elliot Wolf is gaining the best possible training in his new position

Texian

Hall of Fame
But Elliot Wolf is gaining the best possible training in his new position
Now is not the time to go completely sub-100 IQ knucklehead or maybe it's a troll thing and you just can't help yourself. If you're drinking Kool-Aid, STOP. Eliot Wolf is the son of a hall-of-fame GM. From the time he was 6 - 7 he was spending time on the football field with his dad and in draft war rooms on draft day. Not only that he also received tutelage from another of the NFL's greatest GMs, Ted Thompson. By the time Eliot was 30 he had already been schooled and in NFL Draft War Rooms for over 20 years. In addition, he was also hired as an ASSISTANT GM. Eliot Wolf has done a lot more than just shuffling papers and filing for Bill Belichick. Based on what I have seen in the last 2 years, I'd take Eliot Wolf today with half of his brain tied behind his back and Texans would still be much better off than they are today! Bob Kraft recognizes the fact that in the last decade (ala Caserio) the Patriots had some of the absolute worst drafts and personnel decisions. So much so the talent level was so bad Tom Brady knew he couldn't win in New England any longer and headed to Tampa. Kraft knew then he had to bring in some bigger, better, stronger brain power to fix the mess they had gotten themselves into.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Now is not the time to go completely sub-100 IQ knucklehead or maybe it's a troll thing and you just can't help yourself. If you're drinking Kool-Aid, STOP. Eliot Wolf is the son of a hall-of-fame GM. From the time he was 6 - 7 he was spending time on the football field with his dad and in draft war rooms on draft day. Not only that he also received tutelage from another of the NFL's greatest GMs, Ted Thompson. By the time Eliot was 30 he had already been schooled and in NFL Draft War Rooms for over 20 years. In addition, he was also hired as an ASSISTANT GM. Eliot Wolf has done a lot more than just shuffling papers and filing for Bill Belichick. Based on what I have seen in the last 2 years, I'd take Eliot Wolf today with half of his brain tied behind his back and Texans would still be much better off than they are today! Bob Kraft recognizes the fact that in the last decade (ala Caserio) the Patriots had some of the absolute worst drafts and personnel decisions. So much so the talent level was so bad Tom Brady knew he couldn't win in New England any longer and headed to Tampa. Kraft knew then he had to bring in some bigger, better, stronger brain power to fix the mess they had gotten themselves into.
Why hasn't anybody hired Wolf

My candidates for GM were

1. Dorsey
2. Wolf
3. Caserio

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Bob Kraft recognizes the fact that in the last decade (ala Caserio) the Patriots had some of the absolute worst drafts and personnel decisions.
Refer to the posts that point out it was Belicheck not listening to scouts and being penalized picks for deflate gate. That is what Kraft recognized.

Only knuckleheads believe what you are saying.