Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

That's just stupid & doesn't make sense.

Regardless what "the plan" was, McNair stepping in & promoting Lovie makes it look like he didn't like the way Culley worked out & didn't like the way the McCown train was rolling.

We've been saying (you too) for years the McNairs need to find someone to run the football operations & get out of the way.

I hoped Nick was going to be the one. But he went way off reservation (the Texans were already off course) & Cal had to right the ship. & I'm glad he did.

It's cool you're on McNair's side this time. But where you going to be after the next Clowney/Hopkins trade?

I am not on the McNairs side. I want them to sale the team.

I guess I missed it, but I never saw anything other than people talking here that Cal stepped in and hired Lovie, or that Janice is doing anything is the background that has to do with the Texans, or that McCown was being seriously considered for the HCing job .They could have been speaking to him about a consulting job or QB coach, and I haven't seen Cal do anything but keep out of the way and let Nick do his job....again, unless I missed something which is a real possibility. Caserio did say at the outset that he was going to take his time searching for a HC, could be he did exactly that. Could be people weren't interested in this job. I like Gannon, but could be he asked for things that weren't reasonable considering his young age and lack of experience. Could be Nick was shell-shocked over Culley's ineptitude and didn't want to go through that again. I don't know, I guess until someone writes a tell-all book someday.

Last edited:
Are they in need of cap space?

Counting those beans.

I'm just happy he's gotten fair value in the Derrick trade and upgraded the talent level in the draft.
It's NOT the beans or the counting of beans, it's the total lack of competent responsible management skills. This was a FUBAR of the highest order.

See, other than the trade for Miller/Cannon and Izzo, the rest doesn't matter. He wanted to keep Cooks/Tunsil as part of the rebuild. (You didn't) As far as restructuring of Cunningham and Mercilus goes, this is and always has been a 2 yr cleanup of the mess BOB left behind. You just dont seem to be able to accept that. BTW, the move I really didn't like was the DJ re-signing.

But if that's all that he messes up, a couple of late rd picks and a pick swap. Plus re-signing DJ, then the Calhoun's are in pretty good hands.
It's the consistent pattern of behavior that has been screaming, Hey, I'm not really a General Manager, nor have I ever been trained to be one. There is a lot more to it than filing scouting reports.

Last edited:
I’m beginning to think Cal isn’t the worst problem this org has, it’s Cal’s Mama. She needs to have zero to do with any decision other then signing a check. She knows as much about football as I know about rocket science.

Cal is an issue too, but nowhere near the issue that Mama is. I still believe this team will never be consistently good until the McNairs sell to competent ownership. Every problem this org has can be traced to ownership. Every. Single. One.
This is a good Bingo, clear your cards, please. You also got Hannah (Tammy Faye Bakker) in Cal's (Jim) other ear telling him how to run the Texans. So Texans fans we got that going for us.

As long as the McNair's own the team the ship will truly never be righted. it will always be average and ordinary, mediocre at best.

Culley wasn't a bad hire for this time period. He got fired for wanting to keep Kelly

The team did as well as could be expected and different than in the past, you could see the rookies developing. That's what this time period is about for me. I will say Culley was terrible when you put him in front of a microphone.
FIFY

Last edited:
You know….Jim Irsay got a SB in Indy, and he doesn’t exactly strike me as the brain surgeon type. How he got it….by hiring some talented folks to get him one. Unfortunately, the skilled team he had in place is no longer there.

As for the Texans local brain surgeon, Cal McNair…..he’s finally assembled his best combination of GM (Caserio) and HC (Smith) since the team’s inception. That assessment is before the two of them have even officially kicked off their first season.

Caserio took a really shite situation and provided a very decent first draft and of course made some questionable moves, but moves that did no long term harm when looking at the bigger picture. I also feel like a lot of those moves were to try and set the table for Culley and Watson….unfortunately, that scenario never made it to the field. Caserio had to correct mid-stream and focus on the “official rebuild”.

What has really struck me this season…..the working relationship Caserio, Smith, and his staff seem to have. A common goal that all seem to be working towards. This what always seemed to be the missing the ingredient with this organization. I discount Cal and Mama b/c I think they’ve handed the reins to Caserio, Smith, and in a smaller version Easterby. Like the Irsay’s, this may be the McNair’s turning point.

You know….Jim Irsay got a SB in Indy, and he doesn’t exactly strike me as the brain surgeon type. How he got it….by hiring some talented folks to get him one. Unfortunately, the skilled team he had in place is no longer there.
The way that Irsay handled the Carson Wentz situation coming and going tells me Irsay gets it and is an owner that leads and can make things happen. Cal cannot do that. Cal has to have someone tell him what he needs to do. Often the people who are guiding Cal are doing it for their own self-interest and are lacking any real skills in winning football.

So you're blaming Caserio for the McNair's not getting out of the way. That's never going to happen. McCown was almost HC for one reason and one reason only, Janice McNair. Fortunately Calhoun was able to talk his mother out of that. This had nothing to do with Caserio. Just remember this The McNair's have always hired the HC they wanted. This includes Culley/Lovie etc....
Like I said Casereby is a people pleaser. The only reason McCown was able to get 3 interviews is that Nick's main objective was to please Janice and make her happy. A responsible GM would've explained to Mrs. McNair the reason why McCown was not acceptable as HC in the NFL is that he has never been any kind of coach, assistant, or intern in the NFL and that's why this was a very bad idea. An idea her husband would've never accepted. And with that McCown would have never received the first interview, regardless of what Jack Easterby said.

Last edited:
Caserio is a people pleaser. Right, wrong or indifferent Nick will strive to make Janice, Cal and Hannah, Jack Easterby, Lovie, and all of his coaches happy. He is there to serve (just like he was trained and always did in New England). He lives for that pat on the back, those attaboys, and praise. As we have learned, Nick is not a leader or not a very good one. Nick takes orders very well, he just can't give them. Never part of his repertoire.
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of them all of the time. ;)

As for the Texans local brain surgeon, Cal McNair…..he’s finally assembled his best combination of GM (Caserio) and HC (Smith) since the team’s inception. That assessment is before the two of them have even officially kicked off their first season.

Caserio took a really shite situation and provided a very decent first draft and of course made some questionable moves, but moves that did no long term harm when looking at the bigger picture. I also feel like a lot of those moves were to try and set the table for Culley and Watson….unfortunately, that scenario never made it to the field. Caserio had to correct mid-stream and focus on the “official rebuild”.

What has really struck me this season…..the working relationship Caserio, Smith, and his staff seem to have. A common goal that all seem to be working towards. This what always seemed to be the missing the ingredient with this organization. I discount Cal and Mama b/c I think they’ve handed the reins to Caserio, Smith, and in a smaller version Easterby. Like the Irsay’s, this may be the McNair’s turning point.

You say Nick and Lovie are the best combo since the team’s inception. What??? I mean technically I guess that bar isn’t very high so it’s possible, but what have either done to make anyone make a comment like that? And give me something better than Lovie taking a team to the SB SIXTEEN years ago.

This guy was the DC here last year and that defense was one of the worst in football. BTW, he’s the DC here again this year, but now he has other things on his plate because he’s HC too.

Then there’s Caserio and the misconception that he had a good draft last year. There’s still a chance that Mills could trump it all, but other than that, he traded up for a WR who didn’t play ball the year before and I think it showed last year when Nico had one of the worst catch rates in football. Then there was the obligatory TE who didn’t even dress for the 1st 7 weeks. Then trading up twice to get a LB who barely saw the field with a group who wasn’t all that. That was a good draft?

And not to mention the 2 HC search disasters already under his belt. Lovie wasn’t even in the running until that got screwed up six ways to Sunday.

I think we’re so caught up with things being sooooo bad with O’Brien that anything else looks like the greatest thing ever, but come on. Let’s at least have these guys accomplish something first before anointing them best in franchise history.

You say Nick and Lovie are the best combo since the team’s inception. What??? I mean technically I guess that bar isn’t very high so it’s possible, but what have either done to make anyone make a comment like that? And give me something better than Lovie taking a team to the SB SIXTEEN years ago.

This guy was the DC here last year and that defense was one of the worst in football. BTW, he’s the DC here again this year, but now he has other things on his plate because he’s HC too.

Then there’s Caserio and the misconception that he had a good draft last year. There’s still a chance that Mills could trump it all, but other than that, he traded up for a WR who didn’t play ball the year before and I think it showed last year when Nico had one of the worst catch rates in football. Then there was the obligatory TE who didn’t even dress for the 1st 7 weeks. Then trading up twice to get a LB who barely saw the field with a group who wasn’t all that. That was a good draft?

And not to mention the 2 HC search disasters already under his belt. Lovie wasn’t even in the running until that got screwed up six ways to Sunday.

I think we’re so caught up with things being sooooo bad with O’Brien that anything else looks like the greatest thing ever, but come on. Let’s at least have these guys accomplish something first before anointing them best in franchise history.

:clap::clap::clap:

I get the sense that Nick Caserio really likes working for Lovie Smith.

The defense was one of the worst in football because the darn offense couldn’t get past the 50 yard line. They had a very high rate of three in outs. You can not say they’re one of the worst without stating all of the facts. I don’t care if you had the best darn defense in the league, if they’re on the field 80% of the time. They will burn the bleep out and get torched. Dude you also said Lovie didn’t have any talent on that side of the ball. So to always bringing up his name every time someone says something remotely positive about him and the team is pretty frivolous IMO. Especially when we all know he inherited that crappy defense.
Now that he’s the HC/DC, he can actually help bring in the players to fit his style of play.

And I’m thinking Opt is talking more about them actually working together and being on the same page. Something we haven’t seen with this team.

We're saying the same thing

Then why are you holding this against Caserio? Nothing has changed except they got lucky to hire a competent HC who happened to be an African American. Which was the #1 job requirement in the hire after Flores.

Nothing

I just disagreed with you about the job Caserio was doing. Still. do, this doesn't mean I think they will ever win a championship with the McNair's as owners. 2 totally different topics IMHO.
The only way they will win a championship with the McNairs is if they put football people in control & let them do their job.

Caserio may get the Texans off the bump. He might put together a team better than any team Kubiak/Smith has put together.

True AFCC contenders. But they won't win a Super Bowl

Then why are you holding this against Caserio? Nothing has changed except they got lucky to hire a competent HC who happened to be an African American. Which was the #1 job requirement in the hire after Flores.
What am I holding against Caserio? That he hasn't earned the McNairs trust?

All I'm saying is he is not the one we were hoping for. The one that would keep Cal in his game room & Janice in social events

Like I said Casereby is a people pleaser. The only reason McCown was able to get 3 interviews is that Nick's main objective was to please Janice and make her happy. A responsible GM would've explained to Mrs. McNair the reason why McCown was not acceptable as HC in the NFL is that he has never been any kind of coach, assistant, or intern in the NFL and that's why this was a very bad idea. An idea her husband would've never accepted. And with that McCown would have never received the first interview, regardless of what Jack Easterby said.

Maybe he did and she didn't listen so he went to Calhoun, Calhoun said he would try to talk her out of hiring McCown but that Calhoun wanted to hire Lovie if he could talk Janice our of hiring McCown. So Lovie was a compromise choice.

Anyways it doesn't matter, you do what the boss tells you to do, which lead to the Lovie hire.

The only way they will win a championship with the McNairs is if they put football people in control & let them do their job.

Caserio may get the Texans off the bump. He might put together a team better than any team Kubiak/Smith has put together.

True AFCC contenders. But they won't win a Super Bowl

He might, but you don't seem to have much faith in this happening. Rightfully so, after seeing what has happened for the last 20 years down on Kirby.

What am I holding against Caserio? That he hasn't earned the McNairs trust?

All I'm saying is he is not the one we were hoping for. The one that would keep Cal in his game room & Janice in social events

What I'm saying is this will never happen until Janice passes and maybe not even then.

What I'm saying is this will never happen until Janice passes and maybe not even then.
Gotta hope.

I'm hoping he earns that trust. I hope McCown wasn't his idea & Culley was hired for a purpose.

I'm hoping he Lovie can become an entity the McNairs can learn to trust & let go of the leash.

He apparently wasn’t interested in this job. And before we crown him let’s see what he does with the Jaguars
How do you figure "apparently" far as we know the Texans never asked for an interview & that's a problem. He is clearly more qualified than any of the three "finalists."

& nobody is crowning anyone. He deserved 1 interview if McCown earned 3

The defense was one of the worst in football because the darn offense couldn’t get past the 50 yard line. They had a very high rate of three in outs. You can not say they’re one of the worst without stating all of the facts. I don’t care if you had the best darn defense in the league, if they’re on the field 80% of the time. They will burn the bleep out and get torched. Dude you also said Lovie didn’t have any talent on that side of the ball. So to always bringing up his name every time someone says something remotely positive about him and the team is pretty frivolous IMO. Especially when we all know he inherited that crappy defense.
Now that he’s the HC/DC, he can actually help bring in the players to fit his style of play.

And I’m thinking Opt is talking more about them actually working together and being on the same page. Something we haven’t seen with this team.

So it was the offense that made them have the 5th fewest sacks, 3rd fewest pressures, 3rd fewest QB hits, 4th most air yards allowed, have the 5th worst yards per carry against, 3rd most yards per play and 6th worst percentage of drives ending in scores? I get that some yardage totals can start climbing when you're on the field a lot, but when the percentages are just as bad, that's not a good thing.

The defense was bad because the offense was bad. Yeah, whatever. They were both bad. It was a bad team, period.

Again, it's about proving it to me. I don't give a flying **** what Lovie did in Chicago so long ago. That means nothing. But he went to the playoffs just once in 8 seasons after that SB run if anybody wants to go there. Hell, O'Brien has been to as many playoff games as Lovie has.

Yes, Lovie and Caserio have both come into a situation where this thing has to be built from the ground up. That's going to take some time, and to me, that clock doesn't start ticking until this year. Last year Caserio was basically in salvage mode.

They just had a full draft with some high picks that they need to hit on to get this thing moving forward. Hopefully that happens, but there's still a long way to go and a lot of questions that have to be answered, with one being is Lovie the guy? I'm not going to just trust everybody all of a sudden because he's the HC now, who BTW, wasn't even being considered until the Texans backed themselves into a corner.

How do you figure "apparently" far as we know the Texans never asked for an interview & that's a problem. He is clearly more qualified than any of the three "finalists."

He’s more qualified than Lovie. I can name a lot of young coaches he was more qualified than. They’re head coaches in this league and doing pretty darn well.
Again Nick said McCown wasn’t up for the head coaching gig. They wanted to hire him as the QB coach since they were promoting Pep to OC.

So it was the offense that made them have the 5th fewest sacks, 3rd fewest pressures, 3rd fewest QB hits, 4th most air yards allowed, have the 5th worst yards per carry against, 3rd most yards per play and 6th worst percentage of drives ending in scores? I get that some yardage totals can start climbing when you're on the field a lot, but when the percentages are just as bad, that's not a good thing.

The defense was bad because the offense was bad. Yeah, whatever. They were both bad. It was a bad team, period.

Again, it's about proving it to me. I don't give a flying **** what Lovie did in Chicago so long ago. That means nothing. But he went to the playoffs just once in 8 seasons after that SB run if anybody wants to go there. Hell, O'Brien has been to as many playoff games as Lovie has.

Yes, Lovie and Caserio have both come into a situation where this thing has to be built from the ground up. That's going to take some time, and to me, that clock doesn't start ticking until this year. Last year Caserio was basically in salvage mode.

They just had a full draft with some high picks that they need to hit on to get this thing moving forward. Hopefully that happens, but there's still a long way to go and a lot of questions that have to be answered, with one being is Lovie the guy? I'm not going to just trust everybody all of a sudden because he's the HC now, who BTW, wasn't even being considered until the Texans backed themselves into a corner.
Again didn’t you say they were talentless? So you know darn well they weren’t going to get that much pressure. And he’ll yes the offense plays a big part of it as well. Come on football guy! If the offense isn’t sustaining and freaking drives and are not eating up the clock as well as putting points on the board consistently, the defense will suffer. I’m not making that stuff up. We’ve seen that even when they had Watt, and Clowney led defenses. That offense couldn’t get past the 50 yard line in more than 1 game. Some crap I never seen before on that level.

But hey if you really want to blame Lovie for that , then more power to you. My thing is tell the full story verses what you’re doing. lol

He's on a roll folks. Just stop, read and learn. This may be entirely too much common sense and logic for the Kool-Aid Brigade.

He’s more qualified than Lovie.
Lovie wasn't a finalist
Again Nick said McCown wasn’t up for the head coaching gig.
No he didn't. At least I never seen or heard this
They wanted to hire him as the QB coach since they were promoting Pep to OC.
Then I would expect him to be in Houston as the QB coach. After three interviews he had to be interested in what the Texans were offering.

Since he is not, I'm pretty sure that's not the job he was interviewing for

Last edited:
Lovie wasn't a finalist
True, fact, Lovie was locked in and guaranteed to continue being the Defensive Coordinator. That is why Jonathan Gannon withdrew his name from Texans HC searching. And this was the final straw in the coaching search for the McNairs. Lovie was hired < 72 hrs after Gannon bowed out. Lovie got to hire his entire coaching staff without any interference. Gannon was only going to get the Culley deal, no coaches for you, you take what we give you.

Again didn’t you say they were talentless? So you know darn well they weren’t going to get that much pressure. And he’ll yes the offense plays a big part of it as well. Come on football guy! If the offense isn’t sustaining and freaking drives and are not eating up the clock as well as putting points on the board consistently, the defense will suffer. I’m not making that stuff up. We’ve seen that even when they had Watt, and Clowney led defenses. That offense couldn’t get past the 50 yard line in more than 1 game. Some crap I never seen before on that level.

But hey if you really want to blame Lovie for that , then more power to you. My thing is tell the full story verses what you’re doing. lol

This is just another case where posters don't understand complimentary football. They do look at a bunch of PFF stats and take them as gospel though.

Nothing

I just disagreed with you about the job Caserio was doing. Still. do, this doesn't mean I think they will ever win a championship with the McNair's as owners. 2 totally different topics IMHO.
One day you are going to wake up in the shower just like Bobby Ewing and realize that his whole Janick Casereby thing was just a very bad dream.

The entire football world just knew that Nick Caserio's best friend Josh McDaniels was going to be the next Head Coach of the Houston Texans. Apparently Josh would not take Nick's phone calls or return his calls.

Back