Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Nick Cliche was going thru his pre-draft cliches: We're just going to do what is best for the team. We just got to get these into the building. (I learned absolutely nothing knew.)

General Manager Nick Caserio meets with media ahead of the NFL Draft | Houston Texans - YouTube
People say I'm too harsh on Nick Cliche. I know I can be especially when he has a mouthful of 20 cliches and tries to say them all at once. Trying to be fair, and to compare and contrast, this is my idea of what a good GM conversation should sound like (BTW the Broncos will be spending this week going thru mock drafts preparing for the unexpected):

(1) GM George Paton, Assistant GM Darren Mougey address media ahead of 2022 NFL Draft - YouTube

Last edited:
People say I'm too harsh on Nick Cliche. I know I can be especially when he has a mouthful of 20 cliches and tries to say them all at once. Trying to be fair, and to compare and contrast, this is my idea of what a good GM conversation should sound like (BTW the Broncos will be spending this week going thru mock drafts preparing for the unexpected):

(1) GM George Paton, Assistant GM Darren Mougey address media ahead of 2022 NFL Draft - YouTube

I can't stand listening to Caserio. He's speaking, and words are coming out, but it's like background noise or something as everything he says I've already heard from GMs a billion times. I hope he turns out to be a good GM, but I doubt I'll be listening to anything he says.

What you do matters more than what you say. Actions speak louder than words.

While you keep your extensive list of Caserio’s “bad do’s” some of us are just waiting to see how this draft and next goes.

I can't stand listening to Caserio. He's speaking, and words are coming out, but it's like background noise or something as everything he says I've already heard from GMs a billion times. I hope he turns out to be a good GM, but I doubt I'll be listening to anything he says.
Hard for me to imagine that a guy that comes with the highest recommendations from Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby and has a hard time formulating a normal conversational sentence will be a good GM.

This makes for a good GM.

Unlike a guy like Casserly who would tell everybody exactly what his plans were.

Ok how about this:
I dunno but maybe it's Caserios way of inviting a trade in weak market for his #3 by suggesting my pick can be had at a discount this week ?
For example ,maybe he thinks he can get what he wants with the oh say #10 or #11 just as easily as he can with the #3 while hoping to find a trade partner who would oh say throw in a second pick with their #10 to move which is not even close to a balanced trade according to the ole Draft Value Chart.

Maybe. I don’t know. It’s why I asked.

Just found it mention worthy enough to bring it up.

Personally I think he was just being honest and that they’ll end up picking at three.

This wouldn't jive with the "Caserio is only a file clerk" narrative of a select few here.

Some of us are prepared to support Caserio until he disappoints us, which he hasn't so far.

Some choose to criticize because that is what they do. To each their own I say.

:coffee:

Not sure who this is directed to but two things…

I personally didn’t criticize…I just asked a question. Don’t know enough about what he’s done overall to have an opinion about him

But, secondly, for folks that do criticize him and aren’t readily giving him the benefit of the doubt I don’t really blame them based on the history of the organization as a whole….never mind what moves he has or hasn’t made that haven’t born fruit yet.

Last edited:

I may have not fully grasped what he was saying there about not doing mocks but if they don’t have several mock drafts at least for the first round, I find that a bit strange.

Nick could trade 3 for 5 and 7. Then 13 for 16 and 19 and some people would still complain. "NOW HAS 4 1ST ROUNDERS HE HAS TO PAY FOR IN 5 YEARS!!!"
And Caserio could trade #3 for 3rd and 4th RD this year and #13 for a 3rd and 4th RD next year and the Kool Aid Brigade would've the confetti flying celebrating Nick "The File Clerk" Caserio. Get them in the building, stay true to the process, do what's best for the team, building a culture.

History suggests, almost to 100%, that any trades the File Clerk makes, up or down, Caserio will be on the short side of the NFL Trade Value Chart.

History suggests, almost to 100%, that any trades the File Clerk makes, up or down, Caserio will be on the short side of the NFL Trade Value Chart.
When it comes to our #3 pick I hope Caserio is on the short side of Jimmie Johnsons Draft Value Chart, an anachronism which was introduced back around 1990, when teams exchanged multiple first round picks & a boatload of players for a running back like Hershal Walker. See in these days we've popularized this concept known as the forward pass, it's a different era than in Johnsons time.
Anyway if one is selling his house today he can demand a premium because it's a hot housing market, but in another time, another market he might have to accept a deep discount to move his property. Well this years Draft is gonna be a buyers market, i.e. only sellers willing to accept significant discounts for their high first round picks are going to be able to attract willing and ready buyers, and we need a buyer for our #3 pick because we need lots and lots of Draft picks for our rebuilding agenda to succeed.

Maybe. I don’t know. It’s why I asked.

Just found it mention worthy enough to bring it up.

Personally I think he was just being honest and that they’ll end up picking at three.

Not sure who this is directed to but two things…

I personally didn’t criticize…I just asked a question. Don’t know enough about what he’s done overall to have an opinion about him

But, secondly, for folks that do criticize him and aren’t readily giving him the benefit of the doubt I don’t really blame them based on the history of the organization as a whole….never mind what moves he has or hasn’t made that haven’t born fruit yet.

Not directed at you xtru. Always enjoy your input.
Agree he will probably stay at 3. No doubt in my mind though that he will be criticized if he does, or if he doesn't.

I just choose not to criticize Caserio because his predecessors sucked at the job. Now that's what really sucks.

:coffee:

The entire topic of Caserio using cliches is stupid and kind of self defeating.

He's not the first coach to use cliches.
By definition those became cliches because they were so overused in the past.

So that in itself tells you exactly how common cliche useage is, and how dumb it is to single him out for using them.
Whaaaaaat? You mean cliches like file clerk and kool aid brigade? Nobody could be that dumb.

Hard for me to imagine that a guy that comes with the highest recommendations from Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby and has a hard time formulating a normal conversational sentence will be a good GM.
You wouldn't have liked Belichick back in the day.

The entire topic of Caserio using cliches is stupid and kind of self defeating.

He's not the first coach to use cliches.
By definition those became cliches because they were so overused in the past.

So that in itself tells you exactly how common cliche useage is, and how dumb it is to single him out for using them.
It's not that Nick Cliche uses the occasional cliche. It's the only way he knows how to communicate. He's made the use of cliches it's very own language.

I'm sure many of you are in complete awe of my brilliant comments this afternoon. Well, this morning I went to see the Butcher of Brownsville and he cut out about a 2" slab out of my forehead. The butcher used several gallons of lidocaine so my entire head is completely numb. Now is a good time for Will Smith to slap you know what out of me and it explains my mensa quality comments this afternoon.

I'm sure many of you are in complete awe of my brilliant comments this afternoon. Well, this morning I went to see the Butcher of Brownsville and he cut out about a 2" slab out of my forehead. The butcher used several gallons of lidocaine so my entire head is completely numb. Now is a good time for Will Smith to slap you know what out of me and it explains my mensa quality comments this afternoon.

No worries... but what's your excuse the rest of the time?

:kitten:

It's not that Nick Cliche uses the occasional cliche. It's the only way he knows how to communicate. He's made the use of cliches it's very own language.

Or maybe it's the way he chooses to talk about the draft.

If I was in his shoes I would sound alot like he does.

This is and always should be about adding difference makers.

My point was Caserio could follow certain poster's draft board exactly and they would still scream "File Clerk!", "Kool-aid!". No matter what he does, some people will still say he is wrong.

And? Who the **** cares?? Why can’t you just give your damn opinions without labeling everyone a Debbie downer or sunshine clubber? Holy ****, there’s more whining about that shit here than there is football talk.

And? Who the **** cares?? Why can’t you just give your damn opinions without labeling everyone a Debbie downer or sunshine clubber? Holy ****, there’s more whining about that shit here than there is football talk.

if it was just football talk on here, this board would shutdown b/c the most prolific posters on here wouldnt have **** to say.

feathers get ruffled anytime the “sunshine pumpers” like a move that doesn’t necessarily line up 100% with how they’d do it…or how other “more successful” organizations do it.

ain’t no fun when the rabbit got the gun for the Eyores around here apparently.

if it was just football talk on here, this board would shutdown b/c the most prolific posters on here wouldnt have **** to say.

feathers get ruffled anytime the “sunshine pumpers” like a move that doesn’t necessarily line up 100% with how they’d do it…or how other “more successful” organizations do it.

ain’t no fun when the rabbit got the gun for the Eyores around here apparently.
Yep, this about sums up the whole site.
mouse fart.jpeg
The one on the right is @Texian , the left one, sub in any member of the sunshine lollipop gang.

Back