Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

All is well! All is well!

giphy.gif
Gif.gif

Jesus Christ I've seen doomsday cults with brighter outlooks than people have around this place.

So what you're saying is, that just because the Texans are perhaps the dumbest team in the league and the world is coming to an end, there is no reason to worry?

It doesn't matter whether Watson stays or goes, this team isn't doing squat this season anyway. And quite possibly next season as well. It's gonna be awhile before the Texans can again be taken seriously.

It doesn't matter whether Watson stays or goes, this team isn't doing squat this season anyway. And quite possibly next season as well. It's gonna be awhile before the Texans can again be taken seriously.

Yep. The football gods will surely demand a several season sacrifice (at minimum) for the stupidity of the O'Brien regime.

They might even sprinkle in some extra spite just because Jack Easterby annoys them. :rake:

It never takes as long as fans think. 2022 this team will be back & ready to compete b/c this rebuild was coming whether DW4 is/was here or not; which is why I dont understand the repeated calls for him to be traded quickly. His value won’t decrease..hell If Tua shits the bed next year, that might make Miami even more desperate to give up the farm for him.

Last edited:
The #3 pick likely won't be on "the farm" next year.

doesn’t matter. We will have our full compliment of picks back so we still wind up with 2 picks in the 1st round if we trade him later and likely extra picks for drafts in future drafts all the same. Our pick is likely gonna be somewhere in the top 5 next year anyway too so there just really should not be any sort of rush to try and get what we can get for him now...in the past that would’ve been a BoB move.

plus too, that takes DW4 off the hook and that’s what he wants.

Aside from that, how absolutely wack would it be to give Miami a franchise qb in exchange for our own 3rd round pick back.

Unless you want to maximize your asset.

Better than not getting it back, no?

What do you mean “maximize” your asset? he’s not a car, he won’t depreciate. He’s a franchise qb entering his prime.

there is just really no reason to rush. The draft comes around every year bro.

What do you mean “maximize” your asset? he’s not a car, he won’t depreciate. He’s a franchise qb entering his prime.

there is just really no reason to rush. The draft comes around every year bro.
There's every reason. Unless he can be brought back into the fold. I don't see how that would happen, but it would be great and for the best.

Otherwise, you're wasting time and Watson's value to the franchise.

There's every reason. Unless he can be brought back into the fold. I don't see how that would happen, but it would be great and for the best.

And what if no team this year will give anything close to what he’s worth? Do you still make the best trade you can out of fear of his value going down or do you sit on it and try again next year?

And what if no team this year will give anything close to what he’s worth? Do you still make the best trade you can out of fear of his value going down or do you sit on it and try again next year?
You get what you want or sit on it Potsie (aaaaaay)...I think most are pushing for trading him now based on the current draft assets that the Jets and Dolphins have. The fear may be that no team will have those kind of draft resources to offer if Watson is traded anytime after this draft/season etc. The bottom line for me is the new GM and new coaching staff should make this team competitive (in the W-L column) within 2 to 3 years with or without DW4.

Knowing many devoutly religious people like I do, like most of us probably do, I've got a bad feeling that Cal and Easterby are sitting around stewing and praying about this situation when what's called for is fast and decisive action, you know strike when the iron is hot as the saying goes.
At this point why would they even want DW4 on the team, he's become such a malcontent who's suppose to be the leader and face of the franchise.
C'mon guys put those big boys pants on because there's a big opportunity with the Jets or the 'Phins out there to move on and begin anew.

I've got a bad feeling that Cal and Easterby are sitting around stewing and praying about this situation when what's called for is fast and decisive action, you know strike when the iron is hot as the saying goes.
That's the problem with a dysfunctional organization. When they're not making impulsive, irrational moves (trading Hopkins), they're mired with indecisiveness. And here's the real problem: The owner doesn't want to trade Watson. No, not Kyle. I'm talking about the actual owner, Janice McNair. She wants her son and his high priced sidekicks (Easterby, Caserio, and Culley) to fix this.

Of course, they can't fix this. They caused this. But, they can't tell her that. So the stewing & praying will continue on Kirby.

Knowing many devoutly religious people like I do, like most of us probably do, I've got a bad feeling that Cal and Easterby are sitting around stewing and praying about this situation when what's called for is fast and decisive action, you know strike when the iron is hot as the saying goes.
At this point why would they even want DW4 on the team, he's become such a malcontent who's suppose to be the leader and face of the franchise.
C'mon guys put those big boys pants on because there's a big opportunity with the Jets or the 'Phins out there to move on and begin anew.

Well first I would fall under that devoutly religious category and would be praying about it myself if I was in Caserio or Cal's shoes so yeah thats not exactly a knock in my book. Next what is called for isn't "fast and decisive action" just the opposite in fact because any move they make no matter what it is will have long term ramifications so not I hope they don't make any such actions. We are just starting the off season and not only do Texans not have to make a move but they sure as Hell don't have to make one now. They want Watson on the team because QBs of his talent level are rare and getting them in their prime even more rare, not to mention the huge cap hit he will be. Lastly how do you know there is an opportunity with either the Jets or Miami? How do you know they have contacted the Texans at all and if so how do you know it wasn't a low ball offer? Jets in reality have no reason to make the deal because if they like either Wilson or Fields, or even Lawrence according to some drafts, then they can take them and use the other picks to build a killer team. As far as Miami goes they may very well decide to roll with Tua and use their picks to build around him. You're assuming that those two teams have interest because they are the only ones with the draft capital to make a real play but there is no proof of that.

Edit: Oh and FYI one of the tweets Watson sent out was that he asked his mother to pray about it so make of that what you will.

That's the problem with a dysfunctional organization. When they're not making impulsive, irrational moves (trading Hopkins), they're mired with indecisiveness. And here's the real problem: The owner doesn't want to trade Watson. No, not Kyle. I'm talking about the actual owner, Janice McNair. She wants her son and his high priced sidekicks (Easterby, Caserio, and Culley) to fix this.

Of course, they can't fix this. They caused this. But, they can't tell her that. So the stewing & praying will continue on Kirby.

So in your mind if they make a move its "impulsive, irrational" and if they don't then they're indecisive. There really is no winning with you is there. Of course the owner doesn't want to trade Watson, anybody that is looking at this rationally and without emotion doesn't want to trade Watson. He is an extremely talent QB in his prime that JUST signed a mega deal of which the Texans will be paying on even if he is traded. The fact you are so quick to trade him, particularly this soon in the off season, really strikes me as impulsive and irrational. I'm also going to assume you can back up your "they caused this" statement with something other than the fact you don't like the McNairs? If so I would love to know what proof you have.

Name one move of any consequence, that has been a good move since Easterby took reigns in 2019?

Just look at the Texans track record.

Far as indecisiveness, that’s top down. They don’t know what the hell they’re doing. First coaching vacancy last coaching hire. The decision to let Bob play GM. They never seemed interested in searching for a GM not named Caserio.

Now losing franchise QB. That’s all on them.

Look, before this whole Watson wants out of Houston became an issue....I was making all personal forecast around trying to build a team around Watson as quickly as possible. I absolutely see Watson as a "Franchise QB" and loathe the idea that this organization allowed someone like OB to take the lead in building a team around him.

I was 100% behind using 2021 to rip the band-aid off and dump the bad salaries and/or players that were not performing at a high level. The draft wouldn't start until RD3 but some of these guys should've returned at least a pick after RD4.

My biggest priority was filling those empty roster spots with players who could've been signed to 1-2 year prove-it type of deals. There are plenty of those players available and will be available soon enough b/c of cuts. Man, I was looking at RB's Bell and Fournette (he'll be staying with TB), WR's Gordon and Antonio Brown who I think have plenty in the tank and would jump at the chance to be starters with Watson throwing the passes. I would've added a Center and RB to put final touches on offense, then focused the rest of the picks on defense. 2021 would've been fun from an offensive standpoint while the defense would've secured a 2022 RD1 pick inside the top 10.

A solid 2022 NFL Draft would be of the utmost importance since Watson's big money kicks in.

All other big contracts have to be gone....Tunsil and Cooks being contracts that can be traded for draft picks and/or players. Watson would be pissed that the Texans traded Cooks away but I think he gets fairly happy when they replace him with Brown and Gordon for far less money. I believe the Texans would be fun if they had a receiving group of; Brown, Gordon, Hansen, Cobb, Coutee, and Coulter. Let's say they decided to suck up the losses of dumping Cobb and re-signed Fuller on a prove-it type of contract as well (Fuller isn't going to get anything more than that until he puts a big season in the books). Imagine this group: Brown, Gordon, Fuller, Hansen, Coutee, Coulter.

I simply had my hopes of watching Caserio build a team around Watson.....to the point that Watson got so excited he willfully came to the table in 2023 and agreed to a new extension that would lower his cap hit so Caserio could put the finishing touches on a team finally ready to win.....and win big.

Look, before this whole Watson wants out of Houston became an issue....I was making all personal forecast around trying to build a team around Watson as quickly as possible. I absolutely see Watson as a "Franchise QB" and loathe the idea that this organization allowed someone like OB to take the lead in building a team around him.

I was 100% behind using 2021 to rip the band-aid off and dump the bad salaries and/or players that were not performing at a high level. The draft wouldn't start until RD3 but some of these guys should've returned at least a pick after RD4.

My biggest priority was filling those empty roster spots with players who could've been signed to 1-2 year prove-it type of deals. There are plenty of those players available and will be available soon enough b/c of cuts. Man, I was looking at RB's Bell and Fournette (he'll be staying with TB), WR's Gordon and Antonio Brown who I think have plenty in the tank and would jump at the chance to be starters with Watson throwing the passes. I would've added a Center and RB to put final touches on offense, then focused the rest of the picks on defense. 2021 would've been fun from an offensive standpoint while the defense would've secured a 2022 RD1 pick inside the top 10.

A solid 2022 NFL Draft would be of the utmost importance since Watson's big money kicks in.

All other big contracts have to be gone....Tunsil and Cooks being contracts that can be traded for draft picks and/or players. Watson would be pissed that the Texans traded Cooks away but I think he gets fairly happy when they replace him with Brown and Gordon for far less money. I believe the Texans would be fun if they had a receiving group of; Brown, Gordon, Hansen, Cobb, Coutee, and Coulter. Let's say they decided to suck up the losses of dumping Cobb and re-signed Fuller on a prove-it type of contract as well (Fuller isn't going to get anything more than that until he puts a big season in the books). Imagine this group: Brown, Gordon, Fuller, Hansen, Coutee, Coulter.

I simply had my hopes of watching Caserio build a team around Watson.....to the point that Watson got so excited he willfully came to the table in 2023 and agreed to a new extension that would lower his cap hit so Caserio could put the finishing touches on a team finally ready to win.....and win big.

What's your point?

Name one move of any consequence, that has been a good move since Easterby took reigns in 2019?

Just look at the Texans track record.

Far as indecisiveness, that’s top down. They don’t know what the hell they’re doing. First coaching vacancy last coaching hire. The decision to let Bob play GM. They never seemed interested in searching for a GM not named Caserio.

Now losing franchise QB. That’s all on them.

Fired OB and most of that coaching staff

Ok they had the first coaching vacancy and hired last, whats your point? Any other team we would be saying they did a complete search and carefully vetted everyone so they didn't make a rash hire but because some on here think Texans can't do anything right its chalked up to indecisiveness.

I consider hiring Caserio a good move, who cares if they didn't find another GM. If the first candidate is the best one do you not hire them simply because they were the first?

They cut the dead weight of Martin, I know you think that was a bad move but you are pretty much alone in that regard.

They didn't lose the franchise QB he quit and he has not given a single good reason why so the only conclusion that can be drawn is that he doesn't like losing and he only wants to play for a championship team. If thats the case he's going to have a very short career in the NFL because all teams go through rebuilds its just a matter of if you are apart of the rebuild or not.

What's your point?

What would you like it to be?

I guess if you read the post.....I wanted to keep Watson and see Caserio successfully build a franchise around him. Watson's current actions have forced many to rethink that approach. Most are now focusing on what Watson could return via trade to what appears to be two suitors with the draft capital, players, and cap space to make it viable for the Texans to trade a 25 year old Franchise QB who's under contract.

Feel free to post your on thoughts on the matter since being the local site critic doesn't make for fun reading. C'mon man.....unleash that creative side of the mind and let the fingertips fly.

What would you like it to be?

I guess if you read the post.....I wanted to keep Watson and see Caserio successfully build a franchise around him. Watson's current actions have forced many to rethink that approach. Most are now focusing on what Watson could return via trade to what appears to be two suitors with the draft capital, players, and cap space to make it viable for the Texans to trade a 25 year old Franchise QB who's under contract.

Feel free to post your on thoughts on the matter since being the local site critic doesn't make for fun reading. C'mon man.....unleash that creative side of the mind and let the fingertips fly.

Why don'tyou post a realistic version of what you would do now instead of what you were dreaming of if things were different? C'mon man indeed

Why don'tyou post a realistic version of what you would do now instead of what you were dreaming of if things were different? C'mon man indeed

I did.....a while back. Before this fiasco reared its ugly head. Best laid concepts sometimes require mid-stream changes. Personally, I don't see how all parties involved clear the resentment, come together and go into the 2021 season a well oiled machine.

Seeing and reading about what's going on has forced just about every analyst and fan to start projecting where Watson would land n a trade.

Ugh. Nothing at all against spirituality / religion, but rather against those concepts being used by a conman to manipulate his way into the good graces of a bunch of unqualified billionaires who seem to be clueless about a range of things.

If the above is true in any sort of way - and judging by the reports and Easterby's own terrible public preaching - then I'd suggest they search for deeper philosophical minds than Jack "pahk the cah" Easterby for deeper meaning and guidance, starting with this:

"Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you."
~ Ignatius of Loyola

Fired OB and most of that coaching staff

Ok they had the first coaching vacancy and hired last, whats your point? Any other team we would be saying they did a complete search and carefully vetted everyone so they didn't make a rash hire but because some on here think Texans can't do anything right its chalked up to indecisiveness.

I consider hiring Caserio a good move, who cares if they didn't find another GM. If the first candidate is the best one do you not hire them simply because they were the first?

They cut the dead weight of Martin, I know you think that was a bad move but you are pretty much alone in that regard.

They didn't lose the franchise QB he quit and he has not given a single good reason why so the only conclusion that can be drawn is that he doesn't like losing and he only wants to play for a championship team. If thats the case he's going to have a very short career in the NFL because all teams go through rebuilds its just a matter of if you are apart of the rebuild or not.

It matters because good coaching and GM matter.
Do you realize how much this put the franchise on hold until we hire Caserio has hurt this franchise?

That cost was Hopkins and Watson.

Congratulations on job well done, that’s my point, if your intention is to run your organization like a Dictatorship.

Since expansion day until today this team has searched for a QB and LT. Now we talk about trading both of them.

Rebuilds don't seem to be successful with this team.

Like my dear departed Dad always said, " If it ain't one thing it's another." So true with this team.

:coffee:

It came to a point after last season and 2022 right around the corner. Watson, Tunsil and a bad team got the Texans to 4 wins. The Texans are now in cap hell and lack the draft assets to add the much needed pieces to so many need positions. 2021 will probably be a lost season but it would give the Texans a nice draft position in 2022. The Texans cannot be cap strapped entering the 2022 season, especially with Watson's new contract money hitting the cap as well. Toss in Tunsil's hit and it's easy to see the position the Texans find themselves in. Watson and Tunsil will account for 60M+ of the available cap space in 2022.....that'll be tough to build around.

There's NO reason. In fact, there's more reasons for the Texans to delay. The longer the delay, the better position we sit honestly. He WANTS us to make a quick decision not only so he can be settled going into next season but also for the team he's going to.... & there's just no reason to give him that "comfort" at this point. I also think you're missing the whole pic too. There's also draft strategy at play here. If a qb needy team gets their qb via a trade, it takes that off the board for them. So what's gonna be their thought process if NC does start entertaining trade offers for him in the actual draft or shortly before or after it & 1 of these qb needy teams has 1 of these qb prospects they really like fall to them? Do they get on the phone with NC & offer the sun, moon and stars for a proven guy or just go with the prospect that fell into their lap?

Fact is as long as they hold his rights and he doesn't cripple himself while holding out or have a mental breakdown ala Antonio Brown, his value will hold or may even rise depending on how desperate a team gets. Just about anything else he or his agent might think about doing to try to cripple the Texans' return for him will also hurt him as well. Don't wanna go to this team we've got an excellent deal on the table for? fine sit out. Wanna take it to the courts? fine, lets pull out this contract you signed in September. Wanna act out even more on social media? Go right on ahead and turn off any interested parties that you currently do have.

As i said in a previous post, this rebuild was happening and was needed anyway... with or without him. So NC is rightfully taking that approach & not hinging everything he does on the return we get for him in a trade. The cuts we've made thus far NEEDED to happen and were somewhat no-brainers. There are also so many damn holes on this roster, there are multiple ways we can approach this rebuild right now. Hoarding draft picks so as to be able to hit this particular draft isn't the only play. The draft comes around every year bro.

You get what you want or sit on it Potsie (aaaaaay)...I think most are pushing for trading him now based on the current draft assets that the Jets and Dolphins have. The fear may be that no team will have those kind of draft resources to offer if Watson is traded anytime after this draft/season etc. The bottom line for me is the new GM and new coaching staff should make this team competitive (in the W-L column) within 2 to 3 years with or without DW4.

And that's somewhat understandable...but to put this in dating terms, if i know you're a thirsty chick & i can get you in the bed easily, you think i'm gonna put my best foot forward in trying to get you there? Nope..Instead of a nice couple of dinner dates, you're getting door dash, netflix and "chill" or worse if you let me. IOW's, NC needs to make teams take him to Pappas and open up a few bottles of Domaine Leroy from like the 90's before he ships DW4 off. short of that...
giphy.gif

Well that discouraging.

It matters because good coaching and GM matter.
Do you realize how much this put the franchise on hold until we hire Caserio has hurt this franchise?

That cost was Hopkins and Watson.

Congratulations on job well done, that’s my point, if your intention is to run your organization like a Dictatorship.

All NFL teams are run like a dictatorship, don’t believe me then ask why is Jimmy G not in NE.

Hopkins was a bad trade by a bad GM but it was hardly the first bad trade in the NFL or even he worst. One WR no matter how good was not going to get us anywhere. At best Hopkins would have gotten us a couple of more win right back to the middle of the road we were.

As far as Watson goes what exactly did the Texans do that cost us him? All they did was make him one of the highest paid players in history and try to hire a coach that he had a connection with and keep the OC he liked. So what exactly did they do to him that cost us him?

All NFL teams are run like a dictatorship, don’t believe me then ask why is Jimmy G not in NE.

Hopkins was a bad trade by a bad GM but it was hardly the first bad trade in the NFL or even he worst. One WR no matter how good was not going to get us anywhere. At best Hopkins would have gotten us a couple of more win right back to the middle of the road we were.

As far as Watson goes what exactly did the Texans do that cost us him? All they did was make him one of the highest paid players in history and try to hire a coach that he had a connection with and keep the OC he liked. So what exactly did they do to him that cost us him?

Time will tell. The Texans v Watson saga is about to get messy and we may actually find out. I don't believe Watson got pissed for no reason. Somebody poured gas on this fire.

Well first I would fall under that devoutly religious category and would be praying about it myself if I was in Caserio or Cal's shoes so yeah thats not exactly a knock in my book. Next what is called for isn't "fast and decisive action" just the opposite in fact because any move they make no matter what it is will have long term ramifications so not I hope they don't make any such actions. We are just starting the off season and not only do Texans not have to make a move but they sure as Hell don't have to make one now. They want Watson on the team because QBs of his talent level are rare and getting them in their prime even more rare, not to mention the huge cap hit he will be. Lastly how do you know there is an opportunity with either the Jets or Miami? How do you know they have contacted the Texans at all and if so how do you know it wasn't a low ball offer? Jets in reality have no reason to make the deal because if they like either Wilson or Fields, or even Lawrence according to some drafts, then they can take them and use the other picks to build a killer team. As far as Miami goes they may very well decide to roll with Tua and use their picks to build around him. You're assuming that those two teams have interest because they are the only ones with the draft capital to make a real play but there is no proof of that.
What I'm trying to say is it's time for the deliberation to end and for some serious an considered action to happen. Does that need to be done right now ? No, not even by the end of next week or the end of this month for that matter. But there is most certainly a drop-dead date, which is April 29 when this years Draft begins. After the Draft it becomes Deafcon 1 !
But well before the Draft is the free agency period for 2021 which begins next week.
Right now is the optimal time to begin dealing DW4, before free agency and the Draft when the maximum opportunities will be available before potential trading partners can begin to make other arrangements for the 2021 regular season, and work towards solidifying their rosters.

What I'm trying to say is it's time for the deliberation to end and for some serious an considered action to happen. Does that need to be done right now ? No, not even by the end of next week or the end of this month for that matter. But there is most certainly a drop-dead date, which is April 29 when this years Draft begins. After the Draft it becomes Deafcon 1 !
But well before the Draft is the free agency period for 2021 which begins next week.
Right now is the optimal time to begin dealing DW4, before free agency and the Draft when the maximum opportunities will be available before potential trading partners can begin to make other arrangements for the 2021 regular season, and work towards solidifying their rosters.

Agreed. 21 is already a dead year but if you wait till after the draft you push rookie development for picks back a whole calendar year. We know where teams pick this year. If they trade after the draft it's a guessing game and they won't get the value they expect.

4/29 is the end of our trade window imo.

Ugh. Nothing at all against spirituality / religion, but rather against those concepts being used by a conman to manipulate his way into the good graces of a bunch of unqualified billionaires who seem to be clueless about a range of things.

If the above is true in any sort of way - and judging by the reports and Easterby's own terrible public preaching - then I'd suggest they search for deeper philosophical minds than Jack "pahk the cah" Easterby for deeper meaning and guidance, starting with this:

"Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you."
~ Ignatius of Loyola
Ignatius of Loyola. Dang DB you are laying some heavy stuff on us this Friday afternoon. I like it !

Time will tell. The Texans v Watson saga is about to get messy and we may actually find out. I don't believe Watson got pissed for no reason. Somebody poured gas on this fire.

the only question is whether what was said or done "to" him is enough to warrant his current actions. It'd have to be something very egregious for him to be dead set on a trade 3 months after he signed a mega extension. Anything short of that, i'll keep the stance i have on him. That to me narrows the "offense" to something racial or something having to do with family. But like i said, it would have to be something egregious for him a: to not have spoken about it or the COMPLETE story leak to anyone & b: for the texans to not have put out a statement addressing the same thing. We have the "mom" story, but for me, i'd have to hear both sides of that b/c what has been leaked, there seems to be something left out.

Back