Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will and you're right Caserio will eventually be fired.
I don't want or not want anything other than the Texans to become a winning organization. Do I like Bill Belichick? No. Would I want him running my team? Yes. So it's not about liking or not liking someone.

If you're objective, this is just the situation Casario is in. He didn't create all of this mess, but he's neck deep in it. I'm not saying it's all Nick's fault. When has that ever mattered when someone is fired? Maybe Caserio gets one more chance to get this right. Maybe he doesn't. But that's why they refer to the NFL as Not For Long.

I don't want or not want anything other than the Texans to become a winning organization. Do I like Bill Belichick? No. Would I want him running my team? Yes. So it's not about liking or not liking someone.

If you're objective, this is just the situation Casario is in. He didn't create all of this mess, but he's neck deep in it. I'm not saying it's all Nick's fault. When has that ever mattered when someone is fired? Maybe Caserio gets one more chance to get this right. Maybe he doesn't. But that's why they refer to the NFL as Not For Long.

I think he gets the chance to make the picks from the Derrick trade. After that all bets are off.

Seeing Stingley has shown flashes and Petrie has played well in spurts. I have to think it's more right player, wrong coach or DC. I think Nick Caserio is doing well. As for HC picks, I think Culley was just to change the mood of the team. Lovie on the other hand I think was not 100% Nick's choice. I think others that the team spoke to probably had Nick's choice. Frazier seemed to be a talking point. Then maybe Brian Flores, but his lawsuit was too much to bring in. Meaning that Cal went with a safety choice and maybe Nick agreed maybe not. If Lovie is gone after the season and a good coach is brought in like Frasier or other top guys. I feel that is Nick Caserio only. Easterby also could have played a large part in the HC choice. After all, he was helping ink players...just saying he had more power than he was listed to. Take a read and see if you agree. I 100% think Sauce is better than Stingley and he should have been picked. Past that, the rest just need a more hands on and creative HC, OC and no question DC.

I think he gets the chance to make the picks from the Derrick trade. After that all bets are off.

Without Cal, Lovie or Easterby having any involvement. I really think Stingley vs Sauce was Lovies call. But he had 2 big problems
1- He is a good CB but he is not a Tampa 2 CB
2- His injury. Sorry, but with that type issue. He likely would have fallen had we not taken him. Too big a risk for a rebuild to take a serious risk due to current (not former) injury. Had he had say a broken hand...sure. However, a Lisfranc injury can end a career

What does that have to do with Carter?

It was in response to leebigez’s assertion (last line) that the Texans should draft either Young or Stroud as the fastest route to rebuilding the team.

Last edited:
But his dad is the one that first wanted to hire him and that trumps all others
The only reason his Dad wanted to hire Caserio is that Bill O'Brien strongly recommended Bob McNair hire him. In much the same way that Gary Kubiak strongly recommended Bob McNair hire Rick Smith. It's the same pattern of behavior.

When Bob couldn't hire Caserio he hired Brian Gaine. When Easterby returned from the Pats ring ceremony and told Cal they could hire Caserio, they fired Gaine the day after. There was one problem, Caserio was still under contract and the Pats filed tampering charges. As a result, Cal makes O'Brien GM and Easterby VP of Football Operations.

Cal fired O'Brien and the day after the season ended Easterby dragged Cal's butt to Boston on Jan 4th to hire Caserio. On Jan 5th Cal hires Caserio. So the bottom line is the guys who convinced (Bob) and Cal to hire Nick Caserio, Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby have since been fired. With recommendations like that what could possibly go wrong? Or more importantly, right?

I think he gets that and one more chance at a HC before all bets are off. My money is on Lovie coming back for one more year whether we like it or not.
If Lovie & Pep turns this around I'll eat my words.

I hope Lovie turns this around & we didn't just waste another year of time & talent

Reactions: JB
I think he gets that and one more chance at a HC before all bets are off. My money is on Lovie coming back for one more year whether we like it or not.
They need to swap some coaches, like get some competent coordinators if they keep Lovie. Second, Lovie CANNOT ask the OC to keep it so basic. His philosophy sucks in today's NFL. I do understand ball control without a stud QB, but this offense is too conservative, predictable, and has poor execution. I want someone who gets into the details and expects players to execute those details.

They need to swap some coaches, like get some competent coordinators if they keep Lovie. Second, Lovie CANNOT ask the OC to keep it so basic.
Let's try to remember this. The Texans have the worst WR group in the league. The worst TE group. The worst QB group. The worst DL group. The worst LB group.

There is only so much a coaching staff can do with that. Lovie and these guys are not the answer, of course. But this team was destined to be the worst team no matter what any coach did. That only will change with talent and the total commitment to rebuild. Not the half arse effort we've seen thus far with signing 30 year old free agents and pissing away draft picks for special teamers who you cut later.

The product we see on the field is Caserio's responsibility as much as anyone's. I don't mind seeing a Green or Pitre making a mistake. They're learning. They will get better. What makes me sick is having to watch Dorsett, Moore, and Burkhead on the field while Jalen Camp and Eno Benjaman waste away on the sideline. Every young player should be on the field. They may get better. They may be part of the solution.

Let's try to remember this. The Texans have the worst WR group in the league. The worst TE group. The worst QB group. The worst DL group. The worst LB group.

There is only so much a coaching staff can do with that. Lovie and these guys are not the answer, of course. But this team was destined to be the worst team no matter what any coach did. That only will change with talent and the total commitment to rebuild. Not the half arse effort we've seen thus far with signing 30 year old free agents and pissing away draft picks for special teamers who you cut later.

The product we see on the field is Caserio's responsibility as much as anyone's. I don't mind seeing a Green or Pitre making a mistake. They're learning. They will get better. What makes me sick is having to watch Dorsett, Moore, and Burkhead on the field while Jalen Camp and Eno Benjaman waste away on the sideline. Every young player should be on the field. They may get better. They may be part of the solution.
Those players not playing are under Lovie's purview.

Second, Lovie CANNOT ask the OC to keep it so basic.
Truth be told we don't know how involved Lovie is with the offense. What we do know is when asked he said he didn't know who, why, or how Burkhead got more carries than Pierce in game 1...

We all know there are issues on offense & they're prone to turnovers... & they lack the talent to overcome a false start...

A little conservatism is warranted no matter who the HC is if the OC can't minimize the mistakes

The good thing about Lovie and Pep returning for another year is that gives the Texans the best chance to draft Caleb Williams.

If Lovie & Pep turns this around I'll eat my words.

I hope Lovie turns this around & we didn't just waste another year of time & talent

From my perspective and point of view, Lovie and Pep returning and treating the NFL draft like a backyard BBQ and a game of "Wheel of Fortune" with their assistant coaches, gives the Texans the best chance and odds to draft Caleb Williams in 2024.

This is a very good point. Even with the McCown interviews. If you look at when McCown was signed as a 3rd string QB and given a 30 minute press conference. He mentioned Easterby and his plans/goals. This was before they hired Caserio.

So, to your point. It's more believable that Easterby is the one that either got in Cal or Caserio's ear to get McCown on that interview list. I doubt the idea to interview McCown started with the McNairs demanding McCown gets an interview. So, if the owner doesn't use an outside firm like Korn Ferry to compile the list of qualified candidates, it's the GM and even senior management job to compile the list. The fact that McCown got on the interview list twice is more about Easterby and Caserio than the McNairs.

#1, there is an unofficial list of guys that are considered to be good HC candidates ready for interview that is generated by folks within NFL circles & passed around…so its really not too hard for owners to get a decent list of potential HC candidates together just by consulting amongst themselves really.

2nd thing is, the GM is the guy who actually reaches out to these guys….but there’s alot of red tape that has to be cleared…the candidates’ current team has to give permission to the Texans to interview and perhaps most importantly, the candidate has to actually want to interview with the Texans….something alot of you guys tend to overlook. If im a hotshot OC/DC and i see all the crap going on over here on Kirby, im thinking real hard about passing on that interview….especially if i have other, better positioned teams courting me…Think Daboll was hot to to interview with the Texans knowing he had the Giants’ GM phone number saved in his phone? If im Doug Peterson and i got the Jags on 1 phone and NC on another, who do you think im scheduling to go interview with 1st lol?

So McCown got on the list b/c Cal/Janice wanted him on the list & for no other reason. Noone was looking at that dude for anything nevermind as a HC candidate.

Sounds like sound reasoning when u put it in that nice little vacuum like that…. Reality is dealing with limited cap space, a PR nightmare at the most important position and being a destination talented FA players actually want to come to kinda affects all that…...Then there’s the owner he has to deal with.

Honestly The only debate even worth having at this point is how much all that has effectd NC’s ability to do his job the best way he can….but even that imo isn’t really up for debate…i doubt there’s Any GM who could’ve come out of the situation that dude inherited with significantly better results than where we are at…

Last edited:
and perhaps most importantly, the candidate has to actually want to interview with the Texans….something alot of you guys tend to overlook. If im a hotshot OC/DC and i see all the crap going on over here on Kirby, im thinking real hard about passing on that interview….
I'm going to do it like Deshaun Watson, take every interview & pit one team against another & get paid like Culley & Lovie vs Stanley & Saleh

I'm going to do it like Deshaun Watson, take every interview & pit one team against another & get paid like Culley & Lovie vs Stanley & Saleh

Except you don’t have to get paid……especially when you’re a hot commodity like Daboll was. Furthermore even if you do that, the Texans would’ve likely been the very last guy to get an interview for his team.

the way these teams operate is they tend to not let guys get out of the door if they like them & want to offer them the job…..So basically, even if NC had every top candidate lined up to be interviewed, it was:

1: The Texans likely were in no way tops on any of these candidates list to go interview with 1st….

& 2, even if he did manage to secure all of them for an interview way down the line, with each successive interview they take before the Texans, he could lose out on them. …which was the most likely outcome.

3…what leverage does he exactly have? They come in and say “i’ll take the job, but i want….” He’s not exactly in a strong position to refuse any of their denands to assume responsibility of taking over this shitshow..

I think many can agree with Stingley not showing #3 pick ability. Meanwhile, Sauce is a top 10 DB. So, on certain thing that should be looked at is who picked him? I do know that Lovie said he "got a CB for his system" not sure if it 100% says it was his call or not however

That's because you're an instant gratification dude only looking at now and forget tomorrow.

Except you don’t have to get paid……especially when you’re a hot commodity like Daboll was. Furthermore even if you do that, the Texans would’ve likely been the very last guy to get an interview for his team.

the way these teams operate is they tend to not let guys get out of the door if they like them & want to offer them the job…..So basically, even if NC had every top candidate lined up to be interviewed, it was:

1: The Texans likely were in no way tops on any of these candidates list to go interview with 1st….

& 2, even if he did manage to secure all of them for an interview way down the line, with each successive interview they take before the Texans, he could lose out on them. …which was the most likely outcome.

3…what leverage does he exactly have? They come in and say “i’ll take the job, but i want….” He’s not exactly in a strong position to refuse any of their denands to assume responsibility of taking over this shitshow..
Rumors, not facts.

That's because you're an instant gratification dude only looking at now and forget tomorrow.

I'm the instant gratification guy because I'm not crossing Houston off my list because they don't have a 1st & 2nd round pick?

How's that work?

nope..those are all facts too..you waste time taking 2674332 interviews, you’re interviewing yourself right out of a job as you’ve left the door open for other qualified candidates to take your coveted job away from you…
Sigh...
Except you don’t have to get paid……especially when you’re a hot commodity like Daboll was.

I'm the instant gratification guy because I'm not crossing Houston off my list because they don't have a 1st & 2nd round pick?

How's that work?
Because you're not crossing Houston off your list and betting on yourself. You'd rather have the short term gain than a better chance tomorrow. Staley & Saleh both got jobs with better franchises

Because you're not crossing Houston off your list and betting on yourself. You'd rather have the short term gain than a better chance tomorrow. Staley & Saleh both got jobs with better franchises
I’m not sold on the Jets as a better franchise

bro you can quote me all you want bottom line is guys in the positions Daboll was in last year dont fart around interviewing a whole lot b/c they understand they’re not the only qualified candidate. They pick the top destinations they’re interested in and go from there.
Money and Power are the two most important things.

If you don't interview, how do you know what the offer will be?

Texans will be far more appealing in 2023. The cap would no longer be an issue, they have plenty of draft picks with 3 being in the top 32, and nice group of returning draft picks and veterans. 2023 would be the time to become the Texans HC, unless Cal decides Lovie stays. Caserio’s input may be, Lovie stays if he hires new OC and DC.

Texans will be far more appealing in 2023. The cap would no longer be an issue, they have plenty of draft picks with 3 being in the top 32, and nice group of returning draft picks and veterans. 2023 would be the time to become the Texans HC, unless Cal decides Lovie stays. Caserio’s input may be, Lovie stays if he hires new OC and DC.
In no universe should Lovie stay, unless they want to tank again next year. Of course with Cal that probably means he stays for another year.

In no universe should Lovie stay, unless they want to tank again next year. Of course with Cal that probably means he stays for another year.

Isn't the Texans usual marching orders 5+ years and just about a total destruction of the draft and cap before they've had enough? Culley was an outlier b/c his sole purpose was to appease Watson's wishes.....didn't happen, so he was expendable.

Back