Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - keeper or kerb?

Keeper or kerb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bottom line for me is Caserio has had time now to turn the Texans around.

The fans have suffered through some serious nonsense.

We should be in contention for a wild card, late in the season, as a barometer of progress.

Otherwise, he gets his jotters.
Good point.. now convince me what you base you POV on. 'Enough time' seems a lackadaisical way to come to your conclusion we are going to playoffs this season.

Welcome to the MB.

If what is being said on this board is true of the Ownership/GM/HC relationship, there will always be major headwinds if the goal is to be a true SB contender. A functioning organization needs alignment of GOALs, diversity of thought, defined roles and hierarchy, accountability, and an OPEN(in the organization) defined decision making and execution process. If ownership is micromanaging from 30,000 feet while installing a pliable or handcuffed GM, it won’t work. I use the word culture to encompass all those above. We focus on the top, but there are many people in between ie front office, scouts, coaches etc. if you have created a culture lacking those people who actually do the majority of the work aren’t gonna wanna stay and you will lose the best people who have options. Your left with people who are elevated to positions above their abilities and experience because it’s hard to bring in good people into a dysfunctional situation and that cascades down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow there is so much in your post to discuss. Where do I begin? I guess I won't. I would just be continuing what has already been said.

Why would Lovie want a guy wuy who best trait was man on man over a guy who could do both? If all Nick is going to do is draft whom the position coaches suggest, then what is his purpose? Draft boards are horizontal and vertical. Their intentions are to meet on an axis for a player. Let's say Warhop and Lovie wanted to build the trenches like most on the board always try to direct the team to do with that 2nd, 1st rd pick, what on tape made Warhop chose Green over Williams?
I come to believe that was Caserio’s pick for show. I believe Caserio didn’t like Sauce’s interview. Dude is very cocky and has that Jalen Ramsey type swagger. After hearing Lovie praise the kid. I had a feeling they would go with Stingley.

That’s a Texans thing not just. Nick. They were doing that way before Nick.
Isn't that somewhat a football thing? Pretty hard to find guys who play this sport and get the proper number of snaps to get draftable grades who don't get hurt.

Like the league hasn't even snapped a ball in an NFL game yet and I'm watching names getting thrown into IR or are already questionable league wide.

Ravens constantly get heralded as god-tier for drafting and yet they seem to make a yearly tradition of rolling into their bye week with half their projected starting roster on IR. Don't even get me started on the Chargers, they almost make me believe that curses do in fact exist.

Isn't that somewhat a football thing? Pretty hard to find guys who play this sport and get the proper number of snaps to get draftable grades who don't get hurt.

Like the league hasn't even snapped a ball in an NFL game yet and I'm watching names getting thrown into IR or are already questionable league wide.

Ravens constantly get heralded as god-tier for drafting and yet they seem to make a yearly tradition of rolling into their bye week with half their projected starting roster on IR. Don't even get me started on the Chargers, they almost make me believe that curses do in fact exist.
Most definitely but the Texans would draft players who just came off an injury ridden season. And by pass a player whose been healthy. Example

Clowney vs Mack
Stingley vs Sauce

That’s just two right there. The list is longer than that.

Last edited:
Most definitely but the Texans would draft players who just come an injury ridden season. And by pass a player whose been healthy. Example

Clowney vs Mack
Stingley vs Sauce

That’s just two right there. The list is longer than that.
I mean sure the Texans have done it, but again, hasn't everyone?

Also to further illustrate that point Nick Caserio didn't make the Clowney pick.

Taking Sting over Sauce was foolish but to act like this is some kind of Nick Caserio tendency is silly and reeks of very narrow sighted recency bias. There's plenty of things to criticize Nick for but acting like he only drafts injured guys isn't one of them.

I mean sure the Texans have done it, but again, hasn't everyone?

Also to further illustrate that point Nick Caserio didn't make the Clowney pick.

Taking Sting over Sauce was foolish but to act like this is some kind of Nick Caserio tendency is silly and reeks of very narrow sighted recency bias. There's plenty of things to criticize Nick for but acting like he only drafts injured guys isn't one of them.
Not at the rate that the Texans have done it. And what other teams are passing on healthy round 1 players and drafting players coming off injuries?

I come to believe that was Caserio’s pick for show. I believe Caserio didn’t like Sauce’s interview. Dude is very cocky and has that Jalen Ramsey type swagger. After hearing Lovie praise the kid. I had a feeling they would go with Stingley.
Of course you think this.

Tell me who went to both Stingley and Sauces workout. In one breath you say all Caserio does is draft players the coaches want, in another breather you say Caserio goes rouge with the Stingley pick.

Does it go something like this? Any pick that's a bad pick is Caserio's and any pick that does well is the HC's pick?

You said that Hannah convinced Cal & others to draft Stroud. Then you called him a cuckhold. If he is, wouldn't that make him less biddable?
I said Hannah convinced Janice to draft Stroud and Cal sat there and watched the show. Hence: Cuckhold

Casserio doesn’t get a pass. There’s a role for the HC and a role for the GM. A GM who blindly listens to a HC shouldn’t have a job.

The GM isn’t a gofer. A GM is a general. A GM has to develop and execute short, medium, and long term strategies. A GM has to manage risk, understand and compensate for vulnerabilities, Know and understand that things don’t always go to plan, and to have contingencies.

A HC handles the X’s and O’s. Who to play, assistant coaches to hire, and yes what players are needed to execute his visions.

However, it’s up to the GM to relay to a coach if those players don’t align with the strategy and risk management plan in place. For some reason people think disagreement is bad, no disagreement is healthy, it provides balance, it keeps blind spots from developing, common weaknesses from being exacerbated, and it allows different strengths to be utilized.

Casserio can’t put his drafting record on the coaches particularly when the drafting fails involved high injury risk players getting injured or low character guys being low character. (Not saying this happened). it’s not like a HC doesn’t provide a list of players. The GM needs to step in when the player doesn’t fit the risk management and and long term strategy, explain why, and then go to the next player on the list.

If Ryans says he wants a certain player and takes this to the boardroom, who do you think the McNair's will choose? Ryans or Caserio's idea on if this player should be chosen? There in lies a big issue within the walls down on Kirby.

Not at the rate that the Texans have done it. And what other teams are passing on healthy round 1 players and drafting players coming off injuries?
Is that supported by any data or statistical evidence whatsoever beyond your initial emotional reaction? I don't think it is.

Every single team drafts players with injury histories. Every single team drafts and has drafted players that were injured at the time of the draft.

Right off the back of this most recent draft players like Tyree Wilson, Bryan Bresee, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Dalton Kincaid, Luka Musgrave, all had pretty serious injuries and medical red flags and those are just the top players off the top of my head. Every draft, every year players like this are littered throughout and each team walks away with a handful of them - It's a calculated risk.

I think you might be so laser focused on Texans players you might not see that this is a pretty league wide thing that teams take a risk on literally every single year throughout the draft.

Is that supported by any data or statistical evidence whatsoever beyond your initial emotional reaction? I don't think it is.

Every single team drafts players with injury histories. Every single team drafts and has drafted players that were injured at the time of the draft.

Right off the back of this most recent draft players like Tyree Wilson, Bryan Bresee, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Dalton Kincaid, Luka Musgrave, all had pretty serious injuries and medical red flags and those are just the top players off the top of my head. Every draft, every year players like this are littered throughout and each team walks away with a handful of them - It's a calculated risk.

I think you might be so laser focused on Texans players you might not see that this is a pretty league wide thing that teams take a risk on literally every single year throughout the draft.
I also forgot Tyjae Spears who wasn't a first round pick but I still think going in the third is really high for a RB with only one knee.

If Ryans says he wants a certain player and takes this to the boardroom, who do you think the McNair's will choose? Ryans or Caserio's idea on if this player should be chosen? There in lies a big issue within the walls down on Kirby.

If you are saying the board room has the ultimate call on picks, I would hope that if they happen to be diametrically opposed and they can’t find middle ground, they could take a disagreement to the board room, they could respectfully argue their cases and ultimately abide the decision made and work together to make it happen, disagreement isn’t always bad it can be constructive.

There are two types of disagreements about drafting a player in which the GM should have the say or at least half of the say, The first is on medicals. MECO is a football guy not a doctor, if the medicals are dicey, it’s should be the GMs call if that player is off the board at that spot. The second is a situation where a trade is required. The GM’s expertise and opinion on whether the draft cost is worth it, should definitely bear a lot of weight, that’s beyond a football X’s and O’s decision in itself.

When it comes to medicals? How can the coach’s opinion enter the equation? Shouldnt that be the GM’s in consultation with the Doctors? It’s not fair to put that on the football guys.

Caserio is just riding this thing out. Remember when he alluded to quitting before Ryans was hired. He's got 36 million reasons to not quit. Well I guess he's down to 18 million reasons these days. Would you leave this kind of money on the table?
There isn't enough money in this world for peace of mind.

You and others keep talking about relationship GM and a HC should have. I'm talking about what we have. 2019 Stingley pre-injury I agree but that is not what we've seen. Will he be improved? All should hope so.
I was a Gardner student. Stingley hasn't had good tape since his freshman year. I'm saying Caserio is more than capable and has as much leeway as he's always had. Under Culley and Lovie he had full control. he and Meco seem to share a certain vision together.

I was a Gardner student. Stingley hasn't had good tape since his freshman year. I'm saying Caserio is more than capable and has as much leeway as he's always had. Under Culley and Lovie he had full control. he and Meco seem to share a certain vision together.
He had full control over the draft when Lovie was here? LMAO, Lovie worked out both Stingley/Sauce as well as Harris.

Caserio worked with Lovie to get Lovie's guys. Now he's working with Ryans to get Ryans guys.

He had full control over the draft when Lovie was here? LMAO, Lovie worked out both Stingley/Sauce as well as Harris.

Caserio worked with Lovie to get Lovie's guys. Now he's working with Ryans to get Ryans guys.

why the hell are you letting a short timer dictate long term player acquisition strategy? There is no vision, or there wasn’t. Maybe with Meco there is. Time will tell.

why the hell are you letting a short timer dictate long term player acquisition strategy? There is no vision, or there wasn’t. Maybe with Meco there is. Time will tell.

I think you forgot this is the same ownership who promoted OB to GM, made Easterby and large player in franchise decisions, got Watson a private room at the Houstonian, hired Culley, and almost hired Josh McCown. Easy to believe Lovie was given that level of control after decisions like these in the past.

Decisions at the top doesn’t always make sense.

Ask Cal.

He's the person who agreed to this with Lovie.

I must have forgotten just how much control the FANS have over the hiring and firing process of GM's...this discussion is sooo deep that Im late to a party that requires rubber boots...the sh it is getting deep in here.

giphy.gif

Of course you think this.

Tell me who went to both Stingley and Sauces workout. In one breath you say all Caserio does is draft players the coaches want, in another breather you say Caserio goes rouge with the Stingley pick.

Does it go something like this? Any pick that's a bad pick is Caserio's and any pick that does well is the HC's pick?
Caserio goes rouge? Oh great next he will be singing Lady Marmalade by Patti Labelle.
🫣

I must have forgotten just how much control the FANS have over the hiring and firing process of GM's...this discussion is sooo deep that Im late to a party that requires rubber boots...the sh it is getting deep in here.
Are you taking balloons?

Good point.. now convince me what you base you POV on. 'Enough time' seems a lackadaisical way to come to your conclusion we are going to playoffs this season.

Welcome to the MB.
Yeah, didn't actually say we are going to the playoffs this season.

What I am looking for is the team to still be in the hunt going into the fourth quarter of the season.

That would be progress.

Yeah, didn't actually say we are going to the playoffs this season.

What I am looking for is the team to still be in the hunt going into the fourth quarter of the season.

That would be progress.
I'm not sure it's a good way to view it.

We al know the Oline is suspect at the beginning of the year.

Now, it's possible, that the guys get back healthier; the line may gel toward the end of the year.

They may start 4-8, but win the last 3 out of 5.

@Jets
@Titans
Vs Browns
Vs Titans
@Colts

Winning 3 out of the last 5, and I think we can see it is as good progress, though 2-3 is more likely at this point.

For me it’s becoming kerb and he should be on the hot seat. To be completely fair, give him next years draft capital to see the Watson trade through its natural conclusion. But if the Texans aren’t in the division race in 24, boot his ass back to NE where he can be a file clerk for hoodie again.

For me it’s becoming kerb and he should be on the hot seat. To be completely fair, give him next years draft capital to see the Watson trade through its natural conclusion. But if the Texans aren’t in the division race in 24, boot his ass back to NE where he can be a file clerk for hoodie again.

Aaron Wilson just said I can’t confirm this but I have heard the family was involved in drafting CJ Stroud. It was also speculated that it was on Caserio to get Stroud and Anderson. And he confirmed the family is happy where they are at. Attendance is above 70k. And the question is if Caserio is on the hot seat? Dude just got a new title and apparently doesn’t have control over his picks. How does one say he is on the hot seat?

giphy.gif

He said the family was happy with both draft picks CJ and Will. And their first choice was Bryce. But them beating the Colts the last game negated that thought. He also said CJ was not pushed on Caserio.

At 20:36 the interviewer say Demeco pushed the pick for CJ Stroud across the finish line and Aaron Wilson interjects or the the family. And goes on to say he can’t verify that and likes to deal in facts but that is the rumblings he hears from other people.

Demeco wanted Anderson. End of story. I can’t believe he wanted to pass up on Anderson.

It is inconvenient to think that @steelbtexan and others are actually right. Can’t gloss over it and stick our heads in the sand.

At 20:36 the interviewer say Demeco pushed the pick for CJ Stroud across the finish line and Aaron Wilson interjects or the the family. And goes on to say he can’t verify that and likes to deal in facts but that is the rumblings he hears from other people.

Demeco wanted Anderson. End of story. I can’t believe he wanted to pass up on Anderson.

It is inconvenient to think that @steelbtexan and others are actually right. Can’t gloss over it and stick our heads in the sand.
Wrong

Firing anyone casts a negative image on the franchise. Right now, the Ryans hiring and the Stroud & Anderson selections have put the team on the upbeat. Winning games would help even more. But firing Caserio would be a negative. It's not necessary at this time. Frankly, I don't really know what Caserio has or hasn't done. But the organization isn't at a tipping point to where a decision on Nick's future has to be made. He's here at least thru 2024.

He said he deal in facts. That he heard from outside sources. Not once did he say the owners or Meco pushed the pick. Jake said Meco and Wilson said or the family’s. But he only deal with FACTS! For him to do a report. He specifically doesn’t know.

Found it.

Asman referenced a rumor that Ryans was pushing for Stroud. Wilson countered that it could have been "the family". But Wilson also said that he didn't have a real source and doesn't like to report on stories without them. For all we know, he could have read the rumor here.
Thank you. Lol dude is off the chains. Did he really listen to the interview? Lol

Aaron Wilson just said I can’t confirm this but I have heard the family was involved in drafting CJ Stroud. It was also speculated that it was on Caserio to get Stroud and Anderson. And he confirmed the family is happy where they are at. Attendance is above 70k. And the question is if Caserio is on the hot seat? Dude just got a new title and apparently doesn’t have control over his picks. How does one say he is on the hot seat?

giphy.gif

Found it.

Asman referenced a rumor that Ryans was pushing for Stroud. Wilson countered that it could have been "the family". But Wilson also said that he didn't have a real source and doesn't like to report on stories without them. For all we know, he could have read the rumor here.

He said he deal in facts. That he heard from outside sources. Not once did he say the owners or Meco pushed the pick. Jake said Meco and Wilson said or the family’s. But he only deal with FACTS! For him to do a report. He specifically doesn’t know.

Thank you. Lol dude is off the chains. Did he really listen to the interview? Lol

Tell me where I said Aaron Wilson didn’t say it was a rumor and he couldn’t verify it.

I have no inside information. Pure speculation using Occam’s razor, I look at the the trade up and its cost, the fact that no team in NFL in history naturally picking in the top 5 has ever traded up back into the top 5, seemingly because it is risky with little chance for greater reward. That pushes you towards two conclusions, one the owner forced the GM into this unfortunate situation or the GM is making decisions most likely in the negative that no one else was willing to make. I guess it could be both. In any effect I have no inside information so I will continue to blame the guy with the title of GM. I can at least hope for a better GM one day, not so sure about Cal’s life expectancy.

Back