Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

I was aware of his injury history which is why I said I'd be okay with him in the 5th round. I was not aware that his ACL injury was so severe. That's disappointing.

ITBS is very common but I don't think I've ever encountered an IT tear.

Since the ITB inserts into the tibia.......and crosses the knee joint as it does (see figure), a force leading to a devastating knee injury that suddenly disrupts all the support/stabilizing structures of the knee joint, can indeed tear the band where it inserts or crosses the joint.

iliotibial-band-syndrome-375x244.jpg

I'm disappointed bridgewater chose not to run. Not a good look.
Do you really think that will have any impact on his draft position? He'll run at his pro day. We're not talking about a Wilson or Manziel who are impact runners. Bortles is a better runner, as well. Bridgewater is going to make his money passing the football. That's who he is and all of the teams know that.

Bridgewater isn't even going to run the 40. Wtf? Guy thinks he doesn't have to prove himself for the #1 pick?

Kinda weak by manziel and Bridgewater.

Playoffs is doing his best Bridgewater impression today....TAKING THE DAY OFF.

Folks - you are looking at decisions by these guys' advisors. Quite a few QBs have done this, not worth getting worked up over. As for TB not running a 40, not sure why (possibly not feeling great, wants to shed some of those pounds, nagging muscle strain, who knows). IF there's any question, you hold off when it's the biggest interview of your life. Put another way, he's determining what team he plays for at least the next 4-5 years. (I'd rather play for the Texans and not the Browns too!)

Probably around 4.65 official. Not bad for a QB. Not nearly what I was told he would run though.
I seriously doubt it'll drop that much, either way, he ran what the coaches were expecting to see.

Do you really think that will have any impact on his draft position? He'll run at his pro day. We're not talking about a Wilson or Manziel who are impact runners. Bortles is a better runner, as well. Bridgewater is going to make his money passing the football. That's who he is and all of the teams know that.

I don't like that he didn't run because he initially said he would.

The combine is a competitive environment and for someone whovtouts themselves as being the best and being the ultimate competitor, I would have at least liked to see him compete in something.

And I actually do think his 40 could help him because I think he's faster than he gets credit for. I was personally hoping he'd show that off, but he opted not to. After saying he would.

Not a good look....IMO.

The combine is a competitive environment and for someone whovtouts themselves as being the best and being the ultimate competitor, I would have at least liked to see him compete in something.
Is it more competitive than the 39 actual college games he QBed in? It's just not going to make a difference in when and where he's drafted. The things we don't get to see (interviews, medicals) could make a difference.

...I seriously doubt it'll drop that much, either way, he ran what the coaches were expecting to see.

I had him pegged at 4.65 and that's about what I expect his official time to be. It makes no difference to me. He could have run a 4.3 and I still wouldn't want to draft him. My stance is known. Good luck to him but on another team, I hope.

The Aggies that I have to deal with on a daily basis who have been telling me for weeks that he will run a 4.4 just made my Monday that much easier. This Manziel thing is going to play out just like it did with VY and it's going to be cumbersome the entire time for the rest of us.

how can you call yourself the best qb then refuse to throw or run along with having the worst competition among Manziel and bortles?

and that's the guy you want leading your franchise?

Is it more competitive than the 39 actual college games he QBed in? It's just not going to make a difference in when and where he's drafted. The things we don't get to see (interviews, medicals) could make a difference.

I didn't say anything about more competitive. But it's a different kind of competitive since you are going up against people playing your same position. Did you play sports in highschool or college and go to some kind of drills camp? Or even inter squad workouts? It's competition. It's very good competition because you're measuring yourself against someone who does what you do which doesn't happen that often.

And the rest of your post is opinion and that's it. I don't know that it will, I don't know that it won't. But I could see a team marking it as a negative that he said he was going to do something but then opted out. Meanwhile you have manziel competing in at least some of the events.

Really you don't know what teams will take a guy off their board for anymore than anyone else. If two guys are close little things like that could sbsolutely matter.

Bridgewater could have tested other than interview only (which he killed). Seems to be the most cerebral QB who is sticking to his game plan & carefully scripting what he does when he does it. Nothing wrong with that but hope O'Brian can land a veteran with experience, ready to go then develop talent @ QB position later in draft & take BPA early with first three picks. :evil:

how can you call yourself the best qb then refuse to throw or run along with having the worst competition among Manziel and bortles?

and that's the guy you want leading your franchise?

You don't like RGIII, Andrew Luck, or Sam Bradford?

None of those guys threw at the Combine, either.

It's disappointing but it's not a big deal and it's to be expected.

Watkins second attempt: 4.37 unofficial

I really like this guy, but with Hopkins and AJ can't imagine how we could draft a WR with our 1.1 even though he's in the conversation along with Clowney and the 3 OTs as the best position prospect in the Draft.

He'll run on his pro day (once he's taken all that weight off).

If he's noticeably smaller that won't be great either.

I'm fine with him running at pro day...throwing and all that stuff.

Really, had he not come out and said he'd run it wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way.

I wouldn't say it's a major knock and never said that. But to me it's just not a good look.

have they taken the wonderlic?

in terms of intelligence i think scoring high on wonderlic is better than scoring high on interviews which is basically nothing but a date situation where you lie about yourself to make yourself look better.

what are the wonderlic scores for bortles, manziel, and bridgewater?

I really like this guy, but with Hopkins and AJ can't imagine how we could draft a WR with our 1.1 even though he's in the conversation along with Clowney and the 3 OTs as the best position prospect in the Draft.

He'd help the team next year for sure. Watkins as a slot receiver would be a pretty big mismatch in every game.

He'd help the team next year for sure. Watkins as a slot receiver would be a pretty big mismatch in every game.

He didn't run a lot of routes over the middle at Clemson. I would play him outside and play AJ in the slot. AJ has lost a step so you can take advantage of his size and route running ability in the slot a lot like Baltimore and San Francisco did with Boldin the last few years.

Not saying you're implying this, but if you take Watkins at 1.1 Hopkins is likely the third WR.

Not saying when all three are on the field Watkins wouldn't be the slot guy, but I'd doubt it.

He didn't run a lot of routes over the middle at Clemson. I would play him outside and play AJ in the slot. AJ has lost a step so you can take advantage of his size and route running ability in the slot a lot like Baltimore and San Francisco did with Boldin the last few years.

Either way, his presence inside or outside creates a mismatch that favors our offense.

Not saying you're implying this, but if you take Watkins at 1.1 Hopkins is likely the third WR.

Not saying when all three are on the field Watkins wouldn't be the slot guy, but I'd doubt it.

I think you put whoever is best at each position at that position. Your #3 best receiver isn't automatically the guy you want in the slot.

have they taken the wonderlic?

in terms of intelligence i think scoring high on wonderlic is better than scoring high on interviews which is basically nothing but a date situation where you lie about yourself to make yourself look better.

what are the wonderlic scores for bortles, manziel, and bridgewater?

Here are some of the highest QB Wonderlic scores...show me the great players among them.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2005 Harvard 48
Greg McElroy 2011 Alabama 43
Jason Maas 1999 Oregon 43
Blaine Gabbert 2011 Missouri 42
Drew Henson 2000 Michigan 42
Bruce Eugene 2006 Grambling State 41
Hugh Millen 1986 Washington 41
Link

He'll run on his pro day (once he's taken all that weight off).

Nobody cares if TB runs a 4.8 or a 4.9, he's not a running QB. If he's lighter that would go against what he said in his interview that he was going to get back up to his sophomore playing weight at 222 lbs. We'll see.

for me so far its: Greg Robinson, OT, 6050 332 then Sammy Watkins, WR, 6006 211 & Jake Matthews, OT, 6054 308. waiting on rest (DL, DB & LB to test).

Nobody cares if TB runs a 4.8 or a 4.9, he's not a running QB. If he's lighter that would go against what he said in his interview that he was going to get back up to his sophomore playing weight at 222 lbs. We'll see.
Will they really re-measure at the Pro day? (honest question)

Did you play sports in highschool or college and go to some kind of drills camp? Or even inter squad workouts? It's competition.
Yeah, that's the same thing.

So you think you know better than his agent and advisers, who get paid big $$$ to make these types of decisions every year? Can you give one example of where a QB didn't run at the combine and was downgraded on draft day?

Manziel's official 40 time is 4.68 (barely breaking 4.7), 'bout what I expected but not really that impressive for a guy who's supposed to be a big-time running threat because his arm is nothing to brag about. I dunno, all depends on how much O'Brien likes him ?

Yeah, that's the same thing.

So you think you know better than his agent and advisers, who get paid big $$$ to make these types of decisions every year? Can you give one example of where a QB didn't run at the combine and was downgraded on draft day?

Are you dense or do you just like to quibble?

How about this, I know a couple people that have worked/work in pro sports. I know someone that worked for kubiak. I have close friends that have played/play in the nfl. I've witnessed teammates going through pro days and have talked to nfl scouts. I'm sure you think those guys know jack and agents always make the correct moves.

A few of those people have told me that they prefer to see guys participate at the combine where they aren't completely comfortable against guys in a level playing field.

Now you can do with that what you want. I really don't give a ****.

All I said was I didn't like him saying he'd run and then not running. You start going off on a tangent about all this other bull ****. Whatever. I'm done with this conversation.

Back