Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

So Carolina coming to Houston a week from tonight with the game on the NFLNetwork which my cable provider doesn't offer.
I dunno will that game also be telecast on another network locally so we locals can watch on TV?

Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games are on broadcast TV. Or at least they were this week.

So Carolina coming to Houston a week from tonight with the game on the NFLNetwork which my cable provider doesn't offer.
I dunno will that game also be telecast on another network locally so we locals can watch on TV?
Normally, it's broadcast locally. Usually, Channel 13. But, I don't see it on the listings for any of the over the air networks. Something to keep an eye on for next week.

euyctid9g9ongnfe6qny

Normally, it's broadcast locally. Usually, Channel 13. But, I don't see it on the listings for any of the over the air networks. Something to keep an eye on for next week.
The game will only be broadcast on NFL Network.............get ready, this is only the beginning of the NFL trying to transition to pay-per-view profiting. Certainly not an enhancement of the "fan experience"...........just an attempt at enhancement of NFL revenues...........if fans are as fanatic to watch their football as the NFL pegs them..........no matter the cost..............

The game will only be broadcast on NFL Network.............get ready, this is only the beginning of the NFL trying to transition to pay-per-view profiting. Certainly not an enhancement of the "fan experience"...........just an attempt at enhancement of NFL revenues...........if fans are as fanatic to watch their football as the NFL pegs them..........no matter the cost..............

Yep. All Thursday games in 2022 will be on Amazon Prime and I think I heard that they won't be televised on local stations for the teams involved. So Prime or no TNF in 2022.

The moment I stop watching is when playoff games become pay-per-view only. It's coming. Not if, but when.

Ryan Fitzpatrick suffered a hip subluxation. Yet after supposed thorough evaluation, he has chosen to avoid surgery and proceed with intense conservative rehabilitation. Subluxation stretches the hip ligaments and can leave the joint unstable. It is not uncommon for labral and/or articular cartilage to be damaged. Players with a hip subluxation may have many of the same complications as those who sustain a hip dislocation. Over time, these individuals are just as liable to develop hip labral tears, osteonecrosis, and hip arthritis. The arthritis in this particular injury not uncommonly occurs within months rather than years............a reason that I am very skeptical of Tua's future. Both players have hip replacement in at least their long-term future. I won't be surprised to hear that following an unsuccessful rehab, Fitzpatrick ultimately ops for surgery.

Yep. All Thursday games in 2022 will be on Amazon Prime and I think I heard that they won't be televised on local stations for the teams involved. So Prime or no TNF in 2022.

The moment I stop watching is when playoff games become pay-per-view only. It's coming. Not if, but when.

TNF on prime starts Oct 7th

I don't see that ever happening. I mean never say never of course, but I just don't think even for the right price the league would cut off such a large chunk of it's audience. Cutting bait on their worst regular broadcast of the season that accounts for less than 3% of their regular season games for a $1B payout from Amazon is one thing. Effectively turning their most important games of the season off is a whole other kettle of fish.

Even with the NFL network I hardly ever watch more than a handful of drives of TNF games year by year. They're generally sh*t games playing out sh*t matchups by teams that are perpetually banged up mid-week. Most folks complain each season that TNF should just be scrapped as it is. More likely the league is aware of the low quality and just decided to cash out of the experiment rather than ditch it once they had the offer than it is that they have a long-term plan to go to a minimal-viewership model.

Mariota suffered a quad injury in his last run of the game. It is actually a grade II tear. The team is reporting that he will be out a few week. Looking into it, although Injury Reports are not required during preseason, it appears that he first injured his quad in TC.........so this is a re-tear of his quad. He should rehab for no less than 6 weeks, and then he remains a high risk for re-injury for the rest of the season.

Locally the game is carried by one of the local TV stations. At least it always has been in the past. And you can always get it on the Yahoo app. And I think the NFL app as well.

I ain't paying for no damn subscriber service to watch the damn NFL. If they keep heading in that direction, guess I'll find something else to do on Sundays if it comes to that. I don't even pay to watch the Astros and they're actually worth it.

I ain't paying for no damn subscriber service to watch the damn NFL. If they keep heading in that direction, guess I'll find something else to do on Sundays if it comes to that. I don't even pay to watch the Astros and they're actually worth it.

324833.jpg

*I did not have access to a local TV broadcast of the Texans/Jags game. I discovered that Yahoo Sports secured an NFL deal to be able to show local games on your cell phone, via the Yahoo Sports app! I was able to thoroughly enjoy the game last Sunday. Looking at the app's schedule, the Texans/Browns game is slated to be shown! Hope this works for you all!
[I plan on double posting this in the Week 2 Texans/Browns thread]

Last edited:
I don't see that ever happening. I mean never say never of course, but I just don't think even for the right price the league would cut off such a large chunk of it's audience. Cutting bait on their worst regular broadcast of the season that accounts for less than 3% of their regular season games for a $1B payout from Amazon is one thing. Effectively turning their most important games of the season off is a whole other kettle of fish.

Even with the NFL network I hardly ever watch more than a handful of drives of TNF games year by year. They're generally sh*t games playing out sh*t matchups by teams that are perpetually banged up mid-week. Most folks complain each season that TNF should just be scrapped as it is. More likely the league is aware of the low quality and just decided to cash out of the experiment rather than ditch it once they had the offer than it is that they have a long-term plan to go to a minimal-viewership model.

I hope you are right, but it makes you wonder when you read stuff like this:

Former ESPN President thinks Super Bowl could one day become a pay-per-view event

The Super Bowl brought in nearly $450M in advertising revenue in 2020 ... despite the ratings falling for the 5th time in the past 6 years.

At some point, it seems inevitable that the calculus will tip in favor of the NFL taking their showcase event “private” and keeping all the advertising dollars and the myriad “ancillary benefits” to themselves.

Or, if not completely “private,” perhaps the calculus allows for the NFL to give one of their network partners, say ESPN, the exclusive rights to the Super Bowl as a Pay-Per-View event in return for the lion’s share of that revenue, plus “more.”

Now it's just speculation and they say the soonest something like this could happen is 2034 based on network contracts, but money is money and greed is greed and who knows what the broadcasting landscape could look like in 15 years.

Reactions: JB
I hope you are right, but it makes you wonder when you read stuff like this:

Now it's just speculation and they say the soonest something like this could happen is 2034 based on network contracts, but money is money and greed is greed and who knows what the broadcasting landscape could look like in 15 years.

Ya, I absolutely agree with never underestimating the hooks greed can dig into someone(s). But it's funny to see a former exec speaking about someone else's business purely speculatively and doing so in terms of a dying model like ppv.

I think it's more likely that the sooner those broadcast contracts near renewal and the league looks at the gargantuan guaranteed money a new deal will bring versus the wonky state of ppv and the overall effect on their relationships with broadcast entities they'll take known greed over the other while not closing the door on a massive chunk of their audience. Jmo, of course.

Yes, simulcast with other networks this season, but not in 2022:

Amazon Prime Video to be exclusive 'TNF' home starting in 2022 ~ Source: NFL.com
According to this link above, TNF games will still be broadcast over the air in the participating teams' markets.

The NFL continues to be the only sports league that delivers all of its games – regular season and playoffs – on free, over-the-air television. (Thursday Night Football will be carried on free over-the-air television in the broadcast markets of the participating teams.)

Last edited:
The game will only be broadcast on NFL Network............
That's weird, because the Giants/Football Team game was broadcast in NYC over the air by the NBC affiliate. Heard Boomer Esiason say on his radio show this morning that the NBC broadcast also had the Spanish language broadcast audio leaking through in the background.

Still can't find a listing for the Panthers/Texans game other than NFL Network. I'm beginning to think the local stations passed on the broadcast rights, preferring to stay with their primetime schedule. That would be a big wow.

Still can't find a listing for the Panthers/Texans game other than NFL Network. I'm beginning to think the local stations passed on the broadcast rights, preferring to stay with their primetime schedule. That would be a big wow.

I don't know that they would show a listing this far in advance, but yeah if they didn't that would be huge

I don't know how accurate this is but on my Uverse guide I show it on NBC (channel 2 in Houston).

Better than being DW’s cheerleader
That's actually funny. Are you still salty that me and my "Law & Order" watching degree corrected a legal scholar like yourself on how extradition works?

Get over it. At least with that new-found knowledge you will not post any gibberish about Fuller fighting extradition. :shades:

Last edited:
Will Fuller was suspended for 6 games for PED violation...........that extended into week 1 of 2021 season. He has not practiced since the beginning of TC, supposedly because of a "foot injury" which was initially reported as very minor.........day-to-day. Now that the suspension is over, he has still not practiced and the team is reporting that he will not play in week 2 due to a "personal issued." Word now is that he may not play a single down for the Dolphins this year. You have to wonder if Fuller may have again been discovered to taint himself with an illegal substance. This will be one less drama that the Texans have had to deal with this year.

That's funny, the NFL doesn't have a contract with NBC for TNF games.

If the guide is even correct I don't think NBC is covering the game. I think the local NBC station is rebroadcasting the NFL channel feed just for the Houston audience.

Could not find much but I found an article about Amazon broadcasting TNF in 2023 that seems to confirm that local stations will still broadcast the games.

Here's the quote

"In a new agreement, Amazon would be responsible for all the production costs and would still need to pay a local broadcaster to produce the game for home markets, as the NFL wants the Thursday night games to be broadcast on local TV in each of the participating teams’ home markets."

Last edited:
If the guide is even correct I don't think NBC is covering the game. I think the local NBC station is rebroadcasting the NFL channel feed just for the Houston audience.

Could not find much but I found an article about Amazon broadcasting TNF in 2023 that seems to confirm that local stations will still broadcast the games.

Here's the quote

"In a new agreement, Amazon would be responsible for all the production costs and would still need to pay a local broadcaster to produce the game for home markets, as the NFL wants the Thursday night games to be broadcast on local TV in each of the participating teams’ home markets."
Not saying that isn't possible, but that would seem a little screwy if CBS has paid for the rights, and another broadcast network gets benefits of the game.

Fox/Amazon only paid for the 11 games they will show. The other eight are on the NFL Network and will be broadcast locally by someone in both home team markets. From what I have read TNF has not really been a money maker.

If I remember correctly most of the time MNF & TNF when the Texans were playing was shown on Houston channel 39 (MNF every now & then was on ABC 13). The only reason I know is my dad is 88 years old & I always have to look up which channel the game will be on as he only gets local channels.

Also, it’s only the second week and the NFL is already showing NFC away teams on CBS and vice versa. I know they started this a few years ago but it was only the last few weeks of the season.

Will Fuller was suspended for 6 games for PED violation...........that extended into week 1 of 2021 season. He has not practiced since the beginning of TC, supposedly because of a "foot injury" which was initially reported as very minor.........day-to-day. Now that the suspension is over, he has still not practiced and the team is reporting that he will not play in week 2 due to a "personal issued." Word now is that he may not play a single down for the Dolphins this year. You have to wonder if Fuller may have again been discovered to taint himself with an illegal substance. This will be one less drama that the Texans have had to deal with this year.

Taking out the trash.

Back