Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Too young, too soon..........RIP.

Former 49ers tight end Greg Clark dies at 49
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 10, 2021, 5:39 AM EDT

Greg Clark, who played tight end for the 49ers for five seasons, has died at the age of 49.

Clark’s cause of death has not been reported. His family released a statement indicating that they would participate in brain research to determine whether he had CTE.

Recruited to Stanford by Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh, Clark was an impressive blocker in college who proved to be a better receiver and athlete than NFL teams expected with his performances in the Shrine Game and at pre-draft workouts. The 49ers traded up in the third round to take Clark in the 1997 NFL draft.

Known for his toughness, Clark played through injuries including broken ribs, and in one game in Minnesota he played even though a member of the 49ers’ medical staff punctured his lung while injecting his ribs with a painkiller before the game. Clark recalled last year how he was rushed to the hospital immediately after the game.

It was like an ER show you see on TV,” Clark told Matt Maiocco of NBCSportsBayArea.com. “You have 12 people around. Everyone is chaotic. They’re cutting off your jersey and everything. There’s not time for an anesthetic, so they’re getting out the scalpel and cutting. You have a bunch of people on one side of you holding you while another guy has a big ol’ pair of pliers and is trying to bust it through the side of your ribs through the cartilage and all that muscle. And he couldn’t get through. He was just shaking. You know how you can see a guy’s eyes and know that he’s panicked? I’m screaming. I was swearing like a sailor. It hurt so bad.”

In retirement Clark worked in the real estate business.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought this was a joke when the story first broke. Since when has it been illegal to carry an Uzi in your vehicle?

or is this a Missouri thing?
Apparently this is illegal in the Communist state of Califoria.

A place where they treat the Declaration of Independence like a piece of used toilet paper.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
ESPN: Atlanta Falcons' Barkevious Mingo arrested on charge of indecency with child.
Well that didn’t take long. Allegations. Arrest. Them boys in Texas don’t play.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I thought an NFL team had to report injuries regardless of whether it was Football related?
They do, the NFL has entirely selective arbitrary ways as to how they treat Injury Report infractions.......to the advantage of the teams who are most closely associated with the owners. Don't try to make sense of them.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Well that didn’t take long. Allegations. Arrest. Them boys in Texas don’t play.
Actually not quite............based on allegations made over 2 years ago............arrest only comes now. This is typical of sexual assault.............investigations not uncommonly take a long time before the DA feels comfortable with proceeding.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Attorneys for sexual assault cases seem to have access to the same boiler plate defense scrfipts.

Mingo’s lawyer has labeled the claim against his client as “complete baseless.”

Barkevious Mingo is innocent,” attorney Lukas Garcia said. “At this stage, our side has very limited information. What we do know is these allegations are from over two years ago and are completely untrue. Mr. Mingo is the victim of a false claim, and we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive. We are confident when the truth comes to light, my client will be fully exonerated.”

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Attorneys for sexual assault cases seem to have access to the same boiler plate defemse scrfipts.

Mingo’s lawyer has labeled the claim against his client as “complete baseless.”

Barkevious Mingo is innocent,” attorney Lukas Garcia said. “At this stage, our side has very limited information. What we do know is these allegations are from over two years ago and are completely untrue. Mr. Mingo is the victim of a false claim, and we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive. We are confident when the truth comes to light, my client will be fully exonerated.”
So it took 2 yrs for charges to be brought?

Last edited by a moderator:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Al 'Bubba' Baker on becoming unofficial single-season sack king: 'Tears just started running down my eyes'

Published: Jul 13, 2021 at 08:53 PM

He's 64-years-young and 31 years removed from his last NFL game, but Al "Bubba" Baker has finally received some very long overdue acclaim.

Upon Pro Football Reference’s recent reveal of sack statistics prior to the 1982 season, Baker's name sits unofficially atop the single-season list with 23 sacks during an all-time sensational rookie showing in 1978.

And the former Lions standout who menaced and mauled opposing quarterbacks was brought to tears when he received word that he was finally being recognized for his astounding accomplishments all these years later.
"For some reason, and I'm not kidding you, without any prompting, tears just started running down my eyes," Baker told Dan Hanzus, Gregg Rosenthal and Patrick Claybon on the latest Around The NFL podcast. "And my wife was inside, I opened up the patio doors. And my wife, first thing she said was, 'What's wrong?' And I said, nothing's wrong and I said come look at this. And, you know, we hugged and then I lost about an hour and a half, two hours. My daughter called. It was really emotional for my family. I guess at 6-foot-8, 290 pounds, that doesn't sound really tough, but, we were all crying.
THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Richard Sherman arrested, jailed without bail, for “burglary domestic violence”
July 14, 2021, 11:31 AM EDT

Free-agent cornerback Richard Sherman currently is being held without bail in Seattle.
Sherman, per multiple reports, is charged with “burglary domestic violence.” Court records declare in all caps, “BAIL DENIED.”

Typically, the notion of “burglary domestic violence” refers to someone entering or refusing to leave a house or dwelling within the context of a domestic dispute. For example, someone who gets locked out of a house during a argument with a spouse or significant other and then breaks in potentially has committed “burglary domestic violence.”
link

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Steelers back-up QB gets his AZZ kicked by spouse, domestic charges filed
The wife of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins was arrested in Las Vegas and faces a domestic violence charge from an alleged assault earlier this month, according to multiple news reports.

Kalabrya Gondrezick-Haskins was booked on a felony charge of battery and domestic violence.

Haskins suffered a split upper lip and a missing tooth during the July 3 incident at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. He was treated for facial injuries at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, according to KLAS and KTNV in Las Vegas.

According to the reports, Haskins told officers that he had arguments before with his wife but nothing had gotten physical.

Haskins-Gondrezick is due in court Aug. 3.
This sounds like some bad-azz hoe and Steelers front office reportedly scratching their heads, wondering if they should have signed Haskins wife to contract and not him ?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

F that!
The Cardinals have retired numbers for players when they were in both Chicago and St. Louis. However, they may have already been retired before they moved to the desert. What the Titans are doing now would be like Arizona having a ceremony to honor those players who only played in St Louis or Chicago. Or the Rams honoring someone on the Cleveland Rams.
It’s their franchise though so whatever I guess.

Last edited:

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
The Cardinals have retired numbers for players when they were in both Chicago and St. Louis. However, they may have already been retired before they moved to the desert. What the Titans are doing now would be like Arizona having a ceremony to honor those players who only played in St Louis or Chicago. Or the Rams honoring someone on the Cleveland Rams.
It’s their franchise though so whatever I guess.
Were you an Oilers fan?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Were you an Oilers fan?
Absolutely. But to me they’re dead and gone. Miss them, still have the fond memories, the heartaches, etc, but that’s all in the past. I’ve long since moved on.

I will say that it sucks for the players that played here to have no representation of their time spent in Houston, but if the only way they can get their due recognition is whatever the Titans give them then I guess that’s better than nothing.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Brady has been reported to have dealt with a partially torn MCL since 2018 which led to a MCL surgery this past Feb. He never appeared on the Injury Report for this problem. Problem is that this injury had to be more than a partial MCL tear............a partial MCL tear does not require surgery.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Absolutely. But to me they’re dead and gone. Miss them, still have the fond memories, the heartaches, etc, but that’s all in the past. I’ve long since moved on.

I will say that it sucks for the players that played here to have no representation of their time spent in Houston, but if the only way they can get their due recognition is whatever the Titans give them then I guess that’s better than nothing.
I feel you man, I just hate to see the Titans get anything!

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Steelers back-up QB gets his AZZ kicked by spouse, domestic charges filed
The wife of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins was arrested in Las Vegas and faces a domestic violence charge from an alleged assault earlier this month, according to multiple news reports.

Kalabrya Gondrezick-Haskins was booked on a felony charge of battery and domestic violence.

Haskins suffered a split upper lip and a missing tooth during the July 3 incident at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. He was treated for facial injuries at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, according to KLAS and KTNV in Las Vegas.

According to the reports, Haskins told officers that he had arguments before with his wife but nothing had gotten physical.

Haskins-Gondrezick is due in court Aug. 3.
This sounds like some bad-azz hoe and Steelers front office reportedly scratching their heads, wondering if they should have signed Haskins wife to contract and not him ?
Can't really blame him.

In today especially, he defends himself who is more likely to be believed? That his wife was beating up on an athlete or he was beating her?

Gonna give him benefit of the doubt and believe he played the long game rather than the short. Take a beating, your career in tact also your bank account... or defend yourself and have to prove your innocence 10 times harder than the otherside has to prove your guilt.

Now, IF he just took a beating.... then yeah. I wouldnt be too optimistic about the QB position if I wrre a Steelers fan.

Of course, his wife's name seems to be hyphenated so...... probably giving him too much credit.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

F that!
My initial reaction was the same as your reaction.

But, when I start thinking about it and consider the current Houston pro football franchise has always refused to give any honor or recognition to our city's NFL history before 2002, I figure at least someone is remembering and honoring our collective memories. Even Earl has come around to embracing (and being embraced by) his former franchise.

There's no money in it for the Texans, which is the only thing that has ever really motivated the McNairs.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Jerry Jones: Jimmy Johnson was a great coach, I f–ked it u Posted by Michael David Smith on July 21, 2021, 5:46 PM EDT

The Cowboys won two Super Bowls with Jimmy Johnson as their head coach before he and owner Jerry Jones had a bitter divorce. Today, Jones got emotional and seemed to blame himself for the split.
Asked about Johnson, Jones raved about the job he did in Dallas.

“He’s a great coach and I’m proud to have him as a friend, and proud to have the times that we — we just had a great experience,” Jones said.

Jones then appeared to be choking back tears as he said it was his own fault that things didn’t end better with Johnson.
“I’ve never been able to know why I f–ked it up.”

Jones indicated that one of the reasons he’s excited about the Cowboys playing in the Hall of Fame Game is so that he and Cowboys fans can be there when Johnson is enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame next month.

LINK

1626914604383.png

Well, Jerry, here's another fine mess you've gotten us into!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The NFL has added an additional COVID-19 vaccination incentive for players, threatening forfeits and the loss of game checks if an outbreak among unvaccinated players causes an unresolvable disruption in the regular-season schedule.

Commissioner Roger Goodell informed clubs of the new policy Thursday in a memo. The league has encouraged vaccination for players but has not required it, per an agreement with the NFL Players Association.
://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31863308/nfl-warning-teams-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-lead-forfeited-games
Finally a take charge guy, and I love it !
I say virtual because if the anti-vaxxers fail to get their shots and it results in cancelled games which could be forfeited and players could lose game checks,
it might induce players like Hopkins & Beasly who are reluctant to get vaccinated to go home to mama so she could then help them put their big-boy pants and they could then "take one for the team".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The NFL has added an additional COVID-19 vaccination incentive for players, threatening forfeits and the loss of game checks if an outbreak among unvaccinated players causes an unresolvable disruption in the regular-season schedule.

Commissioner Roger Goodell informed clubs of the new policy Thursday in a memo. The league has encouraged vaccination for players but has not required it, per an agreement with the NFL Players Association.
://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31863308/nfl-warning-teams-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-lead-forfeited-games
I say virtual because if the anti-vaxxers fail to get their shots and it results in cancelled games which could be forfeited and players could lose game checks,
it might induce players like Hopkins & Beasly who are reluctant to get vaccinated to go home to mama so she could then help them put their big-boy pants and they could then "take one for the team".
Rick Dennison just resigned rather than take the vaccine. I admire him and I'm sure he won't be the last. BTW, I'm fully vaccinated.

Hopkins won't be retiring anytime soon, he's got too many baby mamas mouths to feed.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

Condescending attitude.

Goodell making some players do something that they prefer not to do. Will he / NFL take legal responsibility for any adverse reactions the players might develop?

There have been adverse affects and some deaths attributed to the covid vaccines. Minimal, but possible to anyone that chooses to be vaccinated. It should be a choice, not a mandate.

:coffee:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
It's not a mandate. That was clearly in the post you quoted.

Just do what you are told, or else. Not a veiled threat / mandate?
Not worth a lot of debate. Folks will believe what they want to believe, do what they want to do.
That includes me too of course.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Just do what you are told, or else. Not a veiled threat / mandate?
Not worth a lot of debate. Folks will believe what they want to believe, do what they want to do.
That includes me too of course.

Again, not a mandate. The players have a choice. No one said that choices can't have possible repercussions. Goodell has a responsibility for a $multibillion business. He is doing what he can to protect that business within the constructs of the agreement with the NFLPA.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Again, not a mandate. The players have a choice. No one said that choices can't have possible repercussions. Goodell has a responsibility for a $multibillion business. He is doing what he can to protect that business within the constructs of the agreement with the NFLPA.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Agreed. But..

I don’t know. They had a season last year. Players did contract the virus, life went on. Just my opinion. The NFL could hold the team accountable. Make them play the game without said player & any other non-vaccinated player. If the have to forfeit, they have to forfeit.

Are they allowing players to opt out? That would be a better option than being fined or taking a vaccine they don’t want.

I guess retiring for a year would be about the same.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Tuesday, during his conditioning test, JJ Watt was said to have a sore hamstring, nothing to worry about, he would be back in a couple of days. After Wednesday, he was placed on PUP. Not reported, but he has a grade II tear. This injury could very well follow him for a long time into this season. With his history of core and specifically back issues, would not be surprised to see the hamstring tear to lead to any one of a number of compensatory injury issues.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

As it turns out this may be something that could affect Prescott longer than anticipated. An MRI revealed that this was not a classic shoulder injury....not a labrum or rotator cuff injury, but a tear of the latissimus dorsi muscle. This tear may seem like a relatively benign injury. However, on the throwing side, this muscle has much to do with power delivery of the football by a QB. I would not consider this injury a "a day to day" injury. These tend to be nagging injuries that can easily be re-injured, especially if not given adequate time to fully rehab. There is a good chance that Prescott's major ankle injury is still not allowing him to gain maximum throw velocity.......leading him to compensate power from his latissimus dorsi..........leading to its tear.

Although this article is about pitchers, most of the basic principles are quite similar.:

Latissimus Tears: The Newest Injury for Throwing Athletes (Part I)
02/22/2019
Just when you thought rehabbing pitchers was hard enough, a new injury has emerged in the throwing population

With Spring Training underway, baseball is officially back! As a fan, I am more than excited. As a medical professional and a PT who spends a lot of time treating the baseball population, I know my schedule is about to ramp up. As Posner, et al (2011) found, April is the month with the highest injury rates for MLB players, with pitchers having a 34% higher injury than position players. One of the injuries we are seeing more often than in years past in our professional pitchers are latissimus injuries. For a lot of reasons, we will discuss below, it seems that latissimus injuries are being diagnosed more frequently than they were in decades past. It was not until 2010 that the first lat repair surgery was performed on a professional baseball player, when Jake Peavy went under the knife. Since then, many of the game’s biggest stars, including Stephen Strasburg, Fernando Rodriguez, Clayton Kershaw, Noah Syndergaard, and Cardinals top prospect Alex Reyes have sustained lat injuries. In a systematic review of 30 professional baseball pitchers, Mehdi, Frangiamore, & Schickendantz (2016) found that the average time required to return to pitching was 99.8 days for the non-operative group and 140 days for the surgically treated group. As you can see, once you sustain a lat injury, the recovery is slow.

THE REST OF THE STORY