Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I won't argue that he should be in the Hall of Fame but I will say that he was pretty damned good for a while! I enjoyed watching him play!
It doesn't get much better than his playoff performances and stats. Perhaps not HoF worthy (although if they let Eli Manning in I'd have to reconsider Edelman), but still a badass when it mattered the most.

Julian Edelman by the numbers: Patriots legend one of greatest playoff receivers ever; here's his HOF case

Julian Edelman is one of the best pass catchers in NFL postseason history -- and there's little debate about his place amongst the all-time greats in that regard. Edelman has the second-most receptions and receiving yards in the postseason -- trailing only Jerry Rice for the top spot -- with a Super Bowl MVP on his resume.

Source

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Big question is how much does Julio have left in the tank? Titans lost Davis & Jonnu, so Julio is expected to replace their production.

At the end of the day, I don't see Julio really being a difference maker on this team. The defense will still suck, and the offense will still heavily rely on Henry.
This sounds more like a hopeful post than a reality post. If the Titans get lucky and stay healthy they could be the 2nd best team in the AFC and provide a real challenge to the Chiefs.

Jones could've been faking a hamstring issue on a losing team. He caught 117 and 115 passes the yrs before last yr.

Adding Dupree (If healthy opposite Landry and Farley in the draft could be real difference makers on the defense. Jenkins should be an upgrade at the other CB position.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It doesn't get much better than his playoff performances and stats. Perhaps not HoF worthy (although if they let Eli Manning in I'd have to reconsider Edelman), but still a badass when it mattered the most.
One of those SB's he got a concussion on the last drive and played through it to help the Pats win a SB.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
And the injuries begin.................49ers backup OL Justin Skule tore his ACL and S Tarvarius Moore tore his Achilles during Monday’s practice.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
CRIME & JUSTICE
Police Arrest Ex-NFL Player, Want to Question Him About Missing Girlfriend

NEW TWIST

“Kevin knows exactly what happened.”

Laura Bradley

Updated Jun. 13, 2021 3:29AM ET / Published Jun. 12, 2021 2:08PM ET

Harris County Sheriff’s Office/Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office

Kevin Ware Jr., a former NFL tight end whose girlfriend, Taylor Pomaski, has been missing for nearly two months, was arrested at a Spring, Texas, strip mall on Friday after missing his bond supervision hearings in April and May.

Police told Houston’s KPRC 2 they want to question him about Pomaski’s disappearance; she was last seen at a house party on April 25.

“There could be others that were around the house that night,” Eric Zuleger, a former boyfriend of Pomaski’s for six years with whom she remained friends, told KPRC 2. “I’m not for certain, but Kevin knows exactly what happened.”

Ware, who played for the San Francisco 49ers and Washington’s NFL team, was first arrested on April 19 on drug and weapon charges, according to ABC 13. Inside Edition Digital reports that police pulled Ware over for allegedly speeding and searched his vehicle; deputies said they found an AK-47 and a 9mm pistol along with cocaine, methamphetamine, marijuana, and Xanax.

Days after Ware got out on a $23,000 bond, ABC 13 reports, he and Pomaski got into a violent fight during a get together at his home, according to witnesses who reported the squabble. Ware subsequently missed his bond hearings, and Pomaski has not been seen since. Zuleger told Inside Edition that when confronted Ware about her disappearance from the party, Ware told him Pomaski left the party on April 25 with one of his friends.

Speaking with ABC 13, Zuleger said Pomaski “was in danger, and she was in trouble. There was violence, she referenced a gun being pulled on her. She was very scared, very nervous.” The last time he heard from her, he told Inside Edition, was at 6:55 a.m. on April 26, when Pomaski sent him an email that read, simply, “I need to talk to you.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Quite surprising how little concern there has been shown to this possibility. IMHO, it's just a matter of time.

Paul Tagliabue worries about possible point-shaving in the NFL
Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2021, 8:16 PM EDT

The NFL did a billion-dollar about-face on gambling, once the Supreme Court threw open the floodgates to legalized wagering in 2018. The man who previously ran the NFL remains unnerved about what it could mean to pro football.

“I still worry about some young guy . . . and someone says to him, ‘Take the money,'” former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue told Jarrett Bell of USA Today.

Tagliabue said that he played in a college basketball game that was fixed, when Georgetown beat NYU in 1961.

“I played in a college basketball game that was fixed,” Tagliabue told Bell. “We beat the hell out of NYU. It was the biggest victory in my three years of basketball at Georgetown. Turns out that guys at NYU were taking money to shave points.”

Tagliabue thinks there’s less of a risk of point shaving in football, unless gamblers get to one specific person.

“Football, if you get the quarterback in football, presumably you can affect the outcome of the game,” Tagliabue said. “But if it’s not the quarterback and you get one or two guys, it may not affect the outcome of the game, which is why people explain there’s [been] point-shaving in basketball but not football.”

He’s right. There hasn’t been. Which perhaps means it remains unlikely going forward. From the NYU example to Henry Hill (yes, the same Henry Hill) and Boston College to Tim Donagy, basketball has had multiple gambling scandals. Football hasn’t. The legalization of gambling doesn’t introduce the possibility. Potentially, it magnifies it.
THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Says a lot re. the confidence in the vaccine?

Vaccinated players will be tested once every 14 days
June 17, 2021, 9:23 AM EDT

The training camp and preseason (and presumably regular season) protocols for the NFL and NFL Players Association will result in daily testing for players who have not been fully vaccinated. For players who have been fully vaccinated, the frequency of testing will be dramatically reduced.

According to the NFL, fully vaccinated players will be tested only once every 14 days. That’s it. Once every two weeks. So in a five-month season from training camp until the end of the regular season, a vaccinated player will be tested roughly 11 times. A non-vaccinated player will be tested at least 150 times.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Smart, because every opponent, especially divisional, has eyes on media/social media...

John Harbaugh Explains Restrictions on Video of Lamar Jackson, Receivers
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Ravens coach John Harbaugh explained the team's new restrictions on outside media using video during practice. Harbaugh was specifically asked why filming quarterback Lamar Jackson throwing the football to wide receivers was not allowed at the mandatory minicamp.

"The reason is because you’re not us," Harbaugh said. "We allow our in-house people to do that, because we trust them. We know what they’re going to put out and what they’re not going to put out. We open a can of worms with you and say, ‘You can film this, but can’t film that,’ then we have to spend all of our time policing whether you pushed it over the line or not and showed a two-man route combination, or showed a complete play, that we don’t want our opponent to see. So, why are we going to try to police the media when they don’t work with us and for us? That’s exactly why because we do have valuable information.

"If it were just going to be the one-man route you put out, it wouldn’t be a problem, but it never stays there. It never ends up being that. The envelope always gets pushed, the slope always gets slippery and then stuff goes out that we don’t want out and that we don’t want our opponents to see, or even personnel evaluators to see about our players in practice that we don’t need them to see. So, it’s a competitive-type issue that way. We can control our people; we can’t control you in terms of what you put out. Fair enough? It’s an honest answer, right?”

Boris

All Pro
You can expect to see hard alcohol advertisements during NFL games for the first time. Anything for money. Beer, gambling, now hard liquor.............of course, all encouraged "responsibly." Next in line, Cheech and Chong commercials
View attachment 8817
i'm fine w/the cheech and chong
we've had brilliant (sometimes) beer commercials for decades, Jimmy the Greek was a panelist for Sunday morning's go-to pregame show
this feels cleaner, less hypocritical/naive

Boris

All Pro

Dejaview

All Pro
So LSU banned him and scrubbed him from its record books after accusations of sexual assault. This is not good timing of this news for DW and the NFL. This puts a spotlight on the NFL and their lax policies for these crimes. do they continue to go forward with hand slaps or bans?

badboy

Hall of Fame
So LSU banned him and scrubbed him from its record books after accusations of sexual assault. This is not good timing of this news for DW and the NFL. This puts a spotlight on the NFL and their lax policies for these crimes. do they continue to go forward with hand slaps or bans?
I am giving odds for hand slaps, Any takers?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
David DeCastro says bone spurs in ankle were constant issue last year, needs surgery

Former Pittsburgh Steelers guard David DeCastro said he dealt with bone spurs in his ankle all last season that will need surgery to correct.
Via Joe Starkey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, DeCastro said Thursday that the ankle issues were an ongoing problem for him all of last season.

I have to get surgery on my ankle a third time,” DeCastro said in a text Thursday. “I tried to fix it last year but the bone spurs kept coming back. It nagged me pretty bad all last year.”

The Steelers released DeCastro on Thursday with a non-football injury designation. He was in attendance at Steelers offseason workouts but did not participate because of the issue. His most recent surgery on the ankle came prior to last season.
DeCastro also confirmed that he’s uncertain whether his career will ultimately end up continuing after nine years in Pittsburgh. It will depend of how his surgery goes.
“Gotta see how the surgery goes,” he said. “But I’d have no problem calling it a day and moving on with my life.”

As noted by Mark Kaboly, DeCastro never appeared on the injury report because of an ankle injury last season. Knee, hand and abdominal injuries led to appearances on the list as well as days off for non-injury related reasons. But if an ailment is significant enough to require surgery, it’s safe to wonder whether he should have had that issue notated at times last year.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This is what can happen when a player OR the team "hides" an injury from the Injury Report during the season [DeCastro dealt with this injury throughout last season.............in either case, the injury can be manipulated as being incurred during non football activities................and the team is conveniently no longer obliged to pay the player's contract.............

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is what can happen when a player OR the team "hides" an injury from the Injury Report during the season [DeCastro dealt with this injury throughout last season.............in either case, the injury can be manipulated as being incurred during non football activities................and the team is conveniently no longer obliged to pay the player's contract.............
I thought an NFL team had to report injuries regardless of whether it was Football related?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
RIP, Joe

Remembering Joe Delaney, 38 years later

June 29, 2021, 9:36 AM EDT

The year was 1983. The month was June. I’d just graduated high school and turned 18. College was coming but, before that, I had three months of living to do.

I felt alive and invincible, fueled by the goofy delusion of immortality that goes along with being young and dumb. Not that anyone actually believes they’ll live forever, but the idea of having another 60 or 70 years to live feels like, for an 18-year-old, another 600 or 700 years.

Then came the harsh reminder that youth ultimately doesn’t mean squat.

The wake-up call arrived on June 30. Sitting at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes, and flipping through the newspaper. There it was. The headline that Joe Delaney had drowned.

Delaney had become a star for the Chiefs as a rookie in 1981, rushing for more than 1,100 yards. Injuries contributed to a disappointing second season, but he still had a high degree of name recognition, and it still was believed he would become a very good player.

That ended on June 29. Delaney died that day, as he tried to save three children who were drowning in a man-made pond in Louisiana, and because he decided to act at a time when plenty of bystanders chose not to. (Delaney managed to save one of the children.)

Delaney acted even though he couldn’t swim. He acted even though the 24-year-old had a family of his own to provide for. He acted even though his entire life — a life of fame and wealth as an NFL player — remained in front of him.

THE REST OF THE STORY

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
RIP, Joe

Remembering Joe Delaney, 38 years later

June 29, 2021, 9:36 AM EDT

The year was 1983. The month was June. I’d just graduated high school and turned 18. College was coming but, before that, I had three months of living to do.

I felt alive and invincible, fueled by the goofy delusion of immortality that goes along with being young and dumb. Not that anyone actually believes they’ll live forever, but the idea of having another 60 or 70 years to live feels like, for an 18-year-old, another 600 or 700 years.

Then came the harsh reminder that youth ultimately doesn’t mean squat.

The wake-up call arrived on June 30. Sitting at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes, and flipping through the newspaper. There it was. The headline that Joe Delaney had drowned.

Delaney had become a star for the Chiefs as a rookie in 1981, rushing for more than 1,100 yards. Injuries contributed to a disappointing second season, but he still had a high degree of name recognition, and it still was believed he would become a very good player.

That ended on June 29. Delaney died that day, as he tried to save three children who were drowning in a man-made pond in Louisiana, and because he decided to act at a time when plenty of bystanders chose not to. (Delaney managed to save one of the children.)

Delaney acted even though he couldn’t swim. He acted even though the 24-year-old had a family of his own to provide for. He acted even though his entire life — a life of fame and wealth as an NFL player — remained in front of him.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Yes as a long-time Chiefs fan I remember this tragedy very well, and what an act of heroism by this young man.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Dallas Cowboys will become the first NFL team to be featured for a third time on "Hard Knocks" in the show's 20th anniversary season, it was announced Friday.
Incredible as it may seem the Cowboys, out of contention even longer than the Texans, remain very popular with many to this day.
Jerry Jones is not much of an evaluator on football talent but sure is a savvy business man when it come to maximizing
the value of his brand.