Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
People here talkin' about if it's OB or Tim Kelly callin' plays all of a sudden, and then this dude..

No headset, no problem: Russell Wilson called his own plays for a drive and scored a TD
Quarterback Russell Wilson couldn’t speak with his coaches during a third-quarter drive against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium. Still, Wilson led the Seahawks to a 58-yard drive and a go-ahead touchdown. He didn’t bother taking a timeout. Instead, he called the plays on his own. And perhaps he was a natural because he had practice from the fourth preseason game when he called plays for Seattle.

“The helmet went off at the beginning of the drive. I couldn’t hear anything so I just kept calling plays. You study the game plan, and you know what you want to do and how you want to get the ball to different guys. We were running up and down the field.”

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Yep. He had NEVER been called for that in his career, then gets 2 in one game within a few mins

Disgraceful. That really makes me want to stop watching the NFL.
Let's just introduce more "legal" gambling into the NFL..........,.that should ensure honesty in the game...........

WE WORK CLOSELY WITH OUR GAMLING PARTNERS

THE NFL APPROVES THIS MESSAGE..................

Attachments

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Julien Davenport has been placed on IR for what is reported as a knee fibula injury. Actually the injury was sustained in an early Sept practice when he suffered a hyperextension of his knee which resulted in a stress fracture.............but as I've found, it was not of the fibula.........it was of the tibia............essentially putting it into the category of a tibia plateau fracture (but very much on the mild side.......not like Watt's). He will need the remainder of the season and more to heal and strengthen his fracture/knee/leg.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL needs someone who can explain, defend, apologize for questionable calls
October 15, 2019, 10:30 AM EDT

When it comes to mistakes routinely made by game officials, the NFL is less transparent than construction paper. Fearful of the potential negative impact of admitting what is often obvious, the NFL unreasonably protects officials by never acknowledging their blunders publicly.

This refusal to be candid regarding bad calls hurts the league in various ways. Among other things, it invites the tin-foil hat crowd to think that the league wants certain teams to win, and other teams to lose. Although I’ll never believe that happens (indeed, it would be nearly impossible to pull it off seamlessly and even harder to keep someone from blabbing about it in off-the-record discussions, a tell-all book, and/or a deathbed confession), people who are wired to presume the worst will, in the absence of a reasonable, clear, and cogent explanation to the contrary.

So here’s the solution: The NFL needs to hire someone who will serve capably as a spokesperson for officiating matters, available to radio shows, TV, podcasts, etc. and willing to face tough questions and to answer them in a way that inspires confidence in the game.

When, for example, officials throw a flag for an illegal hit to the head of a defenseless receiver and broadcasters mistakenly rail against the fact that the defender was simply trying to catch the ball, the officiating spokesperson needs to be able to say, calmly and persuasively, that intent doesn’t matter when a defenseless receiver is struck in the head or neck area. When, for example, the officials make a mistake, the officiating spokesperson needs to admit that a mistake was made, explain how and why it happened, and move on.

THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The response is a joke!! *****************************************

Rich McKay declines to say whether pass interference replay is working

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 15, 2019, 2:54 PM EDT

NFL Competition Committee Rich McKay declined to say today whether he thinks the NFL allowing instant replay to review pass interference has worked so far.

McKay was asked at a press conference if the new rule is working, and McKay wouldn’t answer.

“I don’t think we would give a summation of whether a rule that’s been in place for six weeks is working or not working,” McKay said.

McKay did say, however, that replay was only intended to overturn obviously blown calls, not to re-officiate the play.

“We want to get the egregious ones, and we want to get them overturned,” McKay said. “It’s got to be an obvious error and it’s got to be one that results in substantial hindrance. So I’m not going to get into how it’s currently being done from New York, because I think that’s something we’re all better off doing . . . at the end of the year.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
To be fair, PI is a terrible thing to make reviewable at all time.

Any time you watch a wr/db going for a 50/50 ball in slo-mo it's highly likely to look like there's more contact than necessary. But in the flow of the game it's more practical to just let 'em play.

May as well be reviewing holding 70 or so snaps a game. That sounds fun don't it?

Reactions: ROO

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I know some of you good people watched Pittsburg v Chargers - Pitt went in there with a plan to out enthuse Chargers and they basically won the game in the first half.
They showed they wanted it more and their physical play initially overwhelmed them.
Chargers came back in the second half but the damage was done.
Texans are a team that can fall for the same tactic with their usually slow, methodical approach.
Let's hope they take a leaf out of Pittsburgh's book to avoid being jumped.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Ouch. disloacted kneecap fro Mahomes, whats the recovery on that? A couple days? A week? Two?
Luckily for the Chiefs, the division is a mess. If their defense plays like it did last night they could easily go 2-2 over the next 4 games & still be in the driver's seat when Mahomes gets back.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Can/would Texans be interested in trading some vets for Peterson and fill some holes for Arizona? Coutee, Reader and Duke Johnson should all start for Cards and fit into cap space of Cards allowing them to select a corner and OT in 2020.
There seems to be no validation for the rumor of Philly offering wide receiver plus a first-round for Peterson.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Can/would Texans be interested in trading some vets for Peterson and fill some holes for Arizona? Coutee, Reader and Duke Johnson should all start for Cards and fit into cap space of Cards allowing them to select a corner and OT in 2020.
There seems to be no validation for the rumor of Philly offering wide receiver plus a first-round for Peterson.
I would not trade Reader. He is helping us push the pocket big time at the moment.
Without him putting pressure on the QB like that they have more time to pick apart our rag-tag secondary.
You would be relying on JJ who would then be double and triple teamed into oblivion.
Fuller, yes for a straight up trade. Stills has better hands I think.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
What has happened to the Chargers this year? They could still revive their chances but 2-5 leaves them little room for error.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
John Simon... still in the NFL. Probably win a ring with the Patriots

Edit: he won a ring with them last year. Might win another.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time caring about AFC teams and getting invested, I genuinely don't enjoy watching the Patriots so I tend to not watch their games even skipped the last SB, but they are so much better than this sorry conference it sucks out any enjoyment or interest I have,

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
how did schaub look AAZZAAweek im guessing not good …????? did he throw a pick six ..???
He game managed when he came in only 6 passes, but completed each for 1 and a passer rating of 151........and a QB rating of 99 (2018 average QB rating was 89)

Last edited:

RickInHouston

Practice Squad
The N.E. Patriots have become the Alabama Crimson Tide of football. They are over-stocked with talent, everyone wants to play for them even if it's less than they can get elsewhere and the regular season is a joke.

Makes football much less interesting.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The N.E. Patriots have become the Alabama Crimson Tide of football. They are over-stocked with talent, everyone wants to play for them even if it's less than they can get elsewhere and the regular season is a joke.

Makes football much less interesting.
They aren't over stocked with talent at all, and they damn sure weren't last season. Hell that team had no business even being in the SB based on what they had on paper and what they looked like through most of the regular season.

Their offense this year has all types of problems. Their Oline can't run block or pass block well at all. Their receivers have been a constant flow of guys on and off the roster since camp which has driven Brady nuts. Josh Gordon never looked good at any point this season as a reliable receiver. They'll likely get better production out of Jacoby Meyers who is an undrafted rookie and they were forced to waste a 2nd round pick to bring in Sanu, because of the lack of consistency from the group as a whole. Sony Michel has been a complete disaster this season at RB.

Their defense is amazing, but lets not act like the media or fans were talking about them before the season started. I was telling everyone about how good their D would be this year, and most people either acted surprised or were doubting my optimism, because they heard nothing about it from the media.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This is an example of how team doctors clear players to play when they have no business being put out there. Osemele, refusing to practice, was accused of feigning the extent of his injury. He just underwent surgery..........and surgery revealed that his shoulder showed significant labrum tear and much more extensive damage than even believed by his own surgeon going into the surgery. Osemele will evidently be going after the Jets, and their team doctors " for violations of state medical board regulations."

Jets cut Kelechi Osemele amid injury dispute, surgery
2:34 PM CT
  • Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE -- After an eight-day standoff with Kelechi Osemele, the New York Jets decided Saturday to release the former Pro Bowl guard, who filed an injury grievance last week against the team.

But the battle isn't over.

One of Osemele's agents, Andrew Kessler, said in a statement to ESPN that they will continue with the grievance process in an attempt to have Osemele's fines rescinded.

The Jets had been fining him for conduct detrimental to the team because he refused to practice and underwent unauthorized shoulder surgery Friday. Osemele was being fined the maximum amount allowed under the collective bargaining agreement. In his case, it was $579,000 per week, the amount of each game check.

Osemele doubtful after defying Jets with surgery
According to Kessler, the Jets owe Osemele the balance of his contract under both the standard-injury guarantee provision of the player contract and under termination pay.

Osemele was due to make $5.2 million over the final nine weeks of the season. His base pay for 2019 was to be $9.85 million.

The Jets had no comment on the release. They have yet to comment since the dispute came to light last week, when Osemele revealed he had a torn labrum and needed immediate surgery because he couldn't play in pain any longer.

The Jets could have placed Osemele on injured reserve, but they opted to cut ties completely. Because of injuries at linebacker, they needed a roster spot. They used it to sign linebacker James Burgess from the practice squad. It would've been questionable roster management if they had kept Osemele -- an injured player -- on the 53-man roster.

Earlier Saturday, the Jets downgraded Osemele to out on the official injury report for Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. On Friday, he was designated as doubtful even after undergoing surgery in Boston, which the Jets deemed an unexcused absence.

Also Saturday, Osemele's agents told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the surgery went well, but damage to the shoulder was more extensive than anticipated. Osemele's representatives and the NFL Players Association are now considering specific action against the Jets' team doctors for violations of state medical board regulations.

Sources said the Jets opposed Osemele's position because they felt it was a preexisting injury and that he could've played through it, waiting until after the season to have surgery.

THE REST OF THE STORY