Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

That's because these QBs are overvalued to begin with. As a passer Fields almost has identical numbers to Davis Mills. We're talking bottom third of the league. Don't see much value in that. Fields does add some value with his legs, but you need to be able to play QB in this league, read defenses, look off defenders, throw receivers open, etc. and not just be a RB playing the QB position.
I dunno Speedy because I'd say that approach has worked pretty well for one Lamar Jackson,
even though Jackson is indeed first a RB and then a passer.

I dunno Speedy because I'd say that approach has worked pretty well for one Lamar Jackson,
even though Jackson is indeed first a RB and then a passer.

Lamar actually has some skill throwing the ball. Fields hasn’t proven that to this point. As I’ve mentioned, he has numbers very similar to Mills.

Lawrence of Jacksonville has always been way over rated in my mind. Which suits me just fine as he keeps wasting everyone's time in Jacksonville.
The kid can play, just needs to learn how to win. With Pederson as his coach he'll have no excuse not to learn.

So you honestly believe that if Fields had been with Balt. he'd be a two time MVP and if Lamar had been with Chicago he'd be a 6th round trade dump?

Maybe 1x MVP like Lamar should be ;)

Now with Tomlin as his coach, he’s in an excellent situation. Arthur Smith will have a better system for him than where he’s been. I would expect him to have a shot at a Geno Smith resurgence sooner than later.

Lamar actually has some skill throwing the ball. Fields hasn’t proven that to this point. As I’ve mentioned, he has numbers very similar to Mills.
Yes sir Lamar does actually "some" passing skills, but I thought it interesting you chose to compare Fields to a QB like our boy Davis Mills who is pretty much his opposit, skill wise.

Now with Tomlin as his coach, he’s in an excellent situation. Arthur Smith will have a better system for him than where he’s been. I would expect him to have a shot at a Geno Smith resurgence sooner than later.
Arthur Smith couldn't develop a QB in Atlanta. He did do a good job of hiding Tannehill's deficiencies in Tennessee. And he can probably do the same in Pittsburgh. If the Steelers have a dominant run game. Which they don't.

I think Fields could be fixed to the point of a middle of the road QB. If you give him to Andy Reid or Sean McVay. I think this is over Artur Smith's head.

or.... they're getting ready for camp.
No team needs 4 QBs for the purpose of going into camp...........especially when the Browns say that Watson will be ready for OTAs.

Could this mean Watson's shoulder may be looking more like this?
de15a413-f802-4596-a03b-c6a5357191d5-edited.gif

Last edited:
A $5 million roster bonus has been converted into a signing bonus to reduce the 2024 cap hit by $4 million, to just over $55 million, the sources told Yates.

“Clerical payroll error” costs 49ers a 2025 fifth-round pick, reduced 2024 fourth-round pick
By Mike Florio
Published March 18, 2024

The 49ers made a mistake last year when calculating total player payroll. And they’re going to pay for it.

Via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area, the 49ers will lose a 2025 fifth-round pick and have a reduced 2024 fourth-round pick, due to “payroll accounting errors at the close of 2022 [that] resulted in a misreporting of the club’s cumulative player compensation.”

The team’s fourth-round pick, previously No. 131, will shift until the completion of the round, after the fourth-round compensatory selections are made. The 49ers will now pick at No. 135 in round four.

The league concluded that the 49ers remained under the salary cap at all times, and that there was no ill intent.

“We take responsibility and accept the imposed discipline from the NFL due to a clerical payroll error,” the 49ers said in a statement. “At no time did we mislead or otherwise deceive the League or gain a competitive advantage in connection with the payroll mistake.”

It’s a hell of a punishment for “no ill intent.” But the rules of the salary cap and player compensation are clear. Any miscalculation results in punishment, since any team that does it on purpose could later claim it was a mistake and avoid punishment.

“Clerical payroll error” costs 49ers a 2025 fifth-round pick, reduced 2024 fourth-round pick
By Mike Florio
Published March 18, 2024

The 49ers made a mistake last year when calculating total player payroll. And they’re going to pay for it.

Via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area, the 49ers will lose a 2025 fifth-round pick and have a reduced 2024 fourth-round pick, due to “payroll accounting errors at the close of 2022 [that] resulted in a misreporting of the club’s cumulative player compensation.”

The team’s fourth-round pick, previously No. 131, will shift until the completion of the round, after the fourth-round compensatory selections are made. The 49ers will now pick at No. 135 in round four.

The league concluded that the 49ers remained under the salary cap at all times, and that there was no ill intent.

“We take responsibility and accept the imposed discipline from the NFL due to a clerical payroll error,” the 49ers said in a statement. “At no time did we mislead or otherwise deceive the League or gain a competitive advantage in connection with the payroll mistake.”

It’s a hell of a punishment for “no ill intent.” But the rules of the salary cap and player compensation are clear. Any miscalculation results in punishment, since any team that does it on purpose could later claim it was a mistake and avoid punishment.

I was one of the two-three finalists for the 49ers Contract Administrator role a while back. This makes me laugh a bit because this falls under his jurisdiction with checks from people above of course. Should have hired the ghost instead.

Arthur Smith couldn't develop a QB in Atlanta. He did do a good job of hiding Tannehill's deficiencies in Tennessee. And he can probably do the same in Pittsburgh. If the Steelers have a dominant run game. Which they don't.

I think Fields could be fixed to the point of a middle of the road QB. If you give him to Andy Reid or Sean McVay. I think this is over Artur Smith's head.
After they get through fixing the OL in the draft their run game should improve.

By Mike Florio
Published March 18, 2024

Sounds vaguely similar to the punishment the Texans got for the hotel compensation the Texans did not report for Watson.

12 people brandished firearms, at least six fired during mass shooting at Chiefs Super Bowl rally
Published March 20, 2024 06:14 AM

The mass shooting at the Chiefs Super Bowl parade could have been worse than it was.

According to the Associated Press, unsealed federal court documents indicate that 12 different people brandished firearms at the rally.

At least six of them fired shots. This suggests that as many as six did not pull the trigger on the guns they had drawn during the chaos.

43-year-old Lisa Lopez-Galavan was killed in the shooting. More than 20 others were injured.

Meanwhile, one of the youths arrested in connection with the mass shooting at the Chiefs Super Bowl parade and rally is now facing a felony charge of unlawful use of a weapon in shooting at a person. He has been in custody since being detained on February 14 on a felony charge of resisting arrest.

A hearing will be held on the question whether to try the defendant as an adult. If that happens, he’ll face five to 15 years in prison.

Another teenager continues to be in custody on a lesser gun charge. Two men previously were charged with second-degree murder and weapons charges. Per the AP, three other Missouri men have been charged with federal counts regarding illegal purchase of high-powered rifles and of guns with extended magazines.

It’s hard to imagine that kind of firepower being carried around at the rally without anyone noticing or any of the hundreds of law-enforcement officers who were present at the parade and rally intervening.

Phil Martello, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, told ESPN on Wednesday that police have been unable to locate Sutton since March 7, when the arrest warrant was issued. Police had responded to a call early that morning at a house in Lutz, Florida, where Sutton allegedly battered a woman before fleeing the scene.

Another sheriff's office spokesperson told ESPN there was evidence of wounds on the woman's body.

It's not as bad a contract as some the Browns have made, but that's too much $$$ for a guy that hasn't proved himself. To those that thought the Texans could re-sign Nico Collins for $20 million or less, think again.
For the record, I'm not one of those guys. If that's what he's looking for, I'd be looking somewhere else.

Thomas' attorney, Daniel "Becket" Becnel, said the charges of simple battery and criminal mischief had been dismissed following a hearing Wednesday, but a spokesperson for the city attorney's office said that was not the case. Instead, Thomas must satisfy the requirements of the six-month pretrial diversion program for the case to be closed.
The charges were related to an incident that occurred in front of Thomas' residence in Kenner, Louisiana, on Nov. 10, 2023. Thomas got into a verbal altercation that night with a local contractor relating to parking issues in the neighborhood. The man accused Thomas of pushing him and throwing a brick at his car windshield.

According to Mecklenburg County court documents, a neighbor reported that McDonough chest-bumped him and then put his hands around his neck and tried to choke him, while shouting obscenities and derogatory terms, on March 12.

Am I missing something? Seems like the NFLPA, the players AND the NFL are not in lock step on this controversy.

Enhanced injury rate makes NFL feel compelled to ban hip-drop tackle
By Mike Florio
Published March 21, 2024 06:40 AM

The players don’t want it. Plenty of fans will complain about it. The NFL nevertheless feels compelled to push for a ban of the hip-drop tackle.
The reason is simple. The league believes the play results in an injury rate at least 20 times hire than a normal tackle.

The NFL understands, we’re told, that it might not be as easy to spot in real time than a horse-collar tackle. But it should be easier to spot than violations of the rule against lowering the helmet and making forcible contact with an opponent.

Spotting it in real time is just part of the enforcement mechanism. Even if the officials miss it — especially when it happens (as it does most often) in the tackle box — the league will have the ability to impose discipline on the tackler after the fact, which will (in theory) get them to abandon a tactic the league regards as unsafe.

Of course, that will introduce issues regarding whether the hearing officers will agree with the league’s enforcement efforts. During Super Bowl week, Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks, who along with former NFL receiver James Thrash handles the appeals of fines and suspensions for on-field infractions, expressed concerns about differentiating a hip-drop tackle from a normal effort to take a ball carrier to the ground from behind.

“One particular play, this play in college that happened to [Florida State quarterback] Jordan Travis,” Brooks told PFT Live in Las Vegas. “I saw — that was an effort play that a young man was hustling down the field, grab the guy, bring him down. It’s certain angles that are part of making a tackle.

When you come in from the side and you grab a guy in that area, your body weight and your momentum is going to take you to the side versus you coming from behind someone grabbing, pulling back. There’s a very big difference in those two. So, do you call them the same? Do you say both are hip-drop tackles? Or do you rename one after the other? And I look at the play against the tight end, Andrews against . . . the Bengals. That was a good tackle to me. You look at the way that that kid angle came in the way that he was. He was not trying to pull back. He was trying to grab. He was trying to grab to the side and momentum roll. That’s how that — it wasn’t a grab from behind and pulled back. Now, we did have certain instances that were egregious where someone grabbed, wrapped around and rolled a guy back. That is definitely a tackle I don’t want to see.”

As formulated, the rule doesn’t make a distinction between tackling a player from behind and grabbing a player and pulling him back. For Brooks and Thrash, the final language of the rule, if adopted, will control. If they refuse to apply the rule as written, separate questions will arise as to their status as hearing officers.

Regardless, it sounds as if the rule will be passed, either next week or (if too many coaches complain) in May, when the owners meet without the coaches around. The league office really wants it. As we’ve seen in the past, when the league office really wants something, the league office tends to get it.

NFL will consider a stricter rule against crackback blocks
By Michael David Smith
Published March 21, 2024 04:21 AM

Crackback blocks, in which a player lined up on the outside moves toward the middle of the field and blindsides a defender, have long been illegal in the NFL. But the league is considering a stricter rule that would result in broader enforcement of the penalty.

A new proposal from the Competition Committee expands the crackback block definition to include players who go in motion and move beyond the center to block a defender in his lower legs.

The full text of the rule change says that it will be a penalty if “the offensive player was in a backfield position and in motion when the ball was snapped, and the block occurred beyond the position from which the ball was snapped” and contact is made “at or below the knee.”

Defensive players consider it one of the dirtiest plays in football when an blocker takes them out at the knee, and defensive players have often complained that player safety rules only protect the offensive skill positions.

This is an example of an expanded rule for player safety that would protect defensive players, and it would be surprising if it doesn’t pass.

Like all on-field rule changes, this rule will require at least 24 of the 32 teams to vote for it in order for it to pass.

Football is a violent sport that results in serious injuries all the time. It's just what happens. But the more you tone down the sport, the closer it becomes to flag football, which nobody wants. That's a really tough delima. Expect the NFL to continue, very slowly though, at toning down the violent and potentially dangerous hits.

Football is a violent sport that results in serious injuries all the time. It's just what happens. But the more you tone down the sport, the closer it becomes to flag football, which nobody wants. That's a really tough delima. Expect the NFL to continue, very slowly though, at toning down the violent and potentially dangerous hits.

I think it has to do more with the revenue lost when star players (mainly QBs but WRs and RBs too) get hurt. I am sure fans stop going and watching games when those players aren’t on the field.

Back