Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

The Falcons are playing games with the Mariota situation. Begs the question if he requires knee surgery, why has he not been on the injury reports for a knee injury? Mariota left the Falcons for the birth of his 1st baby. Why did the team play dumb with his absence?
Wow! They made it seem like he just walked away from the team. Thanks for the info.

The 49ers have won seven games in a row. They’ve clinched the NFC West title. While clinching the division isn’t the “final goal,” there’s not much more that t...

Apple has formally removed its name from the Sunday Ticket bidding................leaving only Amazon and Google.
Is NFL still looking for an exclusive partner, live they've had with DirecTV? I was hoping they'd either go with their own platform or make it available to multiple providers, like other leagues do...

Want more NFL trades? You may be in luck as soon as 2023.
At last week's winter meeting, the league's general manager advisory committee discussed a potential one- or two-week extension to the trade deadline -- and sources say there seems to be momentum building among some clubs toward pushing it back.
More discussion is expected in the coming months, per sources, with approval of any change subject to vote by at least 24 of 32 owners that could come at league meetings in March or May.
It's not yet clear where the NFL's competition committee will stand on the matter. The later the deadline falls, the more concern there would be about teams that are out of contention dumping players to contenders and changing competitive balance late in the season.
On trade deadline day alone this year, there were 10 trades involving 12 players -- both by far the most on deadline day in the last 30 years -- and many deals involved notable players, including Bradley Chubb, Chase Claypool, T.J. Hockenson and Calvin Ridley.
The trade deadline has been on the Tuesday after Week 8 since 2012, when it was pushed back from Week 6.
Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter.
I like this

I dont know if youngsters today could handle your mother.

There wasn't any of that "wait till your father gets home" threats.

Justice was swift. Mom was a gifted seamstress, always has a thimble on her finger Getting thumped on the head with that thimble hurt like hell. (explains a lot doesn't it?)

Anyone here know what a thimble is?

Wouldn't trade her for any other. Dad either. Even though he was a Dallas fan. We knew we were loved, but we learned to show respect at an early age.

Not to sure my grandkids/great grandkids wouldn't have permanent knots on their hard heads.

Please pardon the trip down memory lane, us old folks are bad about that. :D You'll see some day.

:coffee:

There wasn't any of that "wait till your father gets home" threats.

Justice was swift. Mom was a gifted seamstress, always has a thimble on her finger Getting thumped on the head with that thimble hurt like hell. (explains a lot doesn't it?)

Anyone here know what a thimble is?

Wouldn't trade her for any other. Dad either. Even though he was a Dallas fan. We knew we were loved, but we learned to show respect at an early age.

Not to sure my grandkids/great grandkids wouldn't have permanent knots on their hard heads.

Please pardon the trip down memory lane, us old folks are bad about that. :D You'll see some day.

:coffee:
This explains how you developed a hard head.

My grandmother who I spent summers with and later in life lived with and graduated from highschool living with her used to do seamstress work all the time on our clothes. Everybody back then had a thimble. There was a group of church ladies that used to get together every Thursday and build handmade quilts.

This generation has missed out on some great bonding moments. I'm so greatful for my grandparents love. I wouldn't be who I am today without them. BTW, we lived right up the road from you in Moss Hill. It's where I learned there had to be a better way than the hard work of the farm. BTW, there was no division of sex/race on the farms, everybody worked their tails off.

Thanks for sharing and I hope I didn't bore everybody on the MB.

Last edited:
My granny was quite proficient with the thimble thump! Ouch!
My mom went with the hairbrush... also ouch but not quite the same ring. When things got on her nerves too much she sent us out to cut our own switch and you didn't dare bring back a bad one (not more than once )

I dunno just how much irony would there be in the scenario of us using our #1 overall to draft a QB who's mentor was the
one and only person who single-handedly trashed our roster ?

The irony has crossed my mind, as well!! lol Hard not to feel it's a tainted pick by the football gods.

Derrick certainly deserves plenty of blame also.

Who was part of giving Derrick that contract and NTC?

I don't think Towel Boy ever intended to honor that contract. He positioned himself to be in the driver's seat with that NTC and a very pushover owner. That's what unscrupulous, dishonorable people do.

Apple has formally removed its name from the Sunday Ticket bidding................leaving only Amazon and Google.
Amazon is having massive layoffs, yet they are bidding on NFL games. Considering they are now one of the top global cloud providers with their Amazon Web Services (AWS) that have them outperforming IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle and other tech companies. I really don't know how they can be laying off employees and still afford to bid on NFL games.

Random thought. Has there been any studies on the profitability of broadcasting NFL games?

I really don't know how they can be laying off employees and still afford to bid on NFL games.

Robotics. :bender: lol

According to Forbes, most of the cuts have been primarily focused on money-draining units, such as Amazon voice-assistant Alexa and ebook-reader Kindle.

And if it remains at 10,000 laid off, it would represent roughly 1 percent of its global work force of more than 1.5 million.

Robotics. :bender: lol

According to Forbes, most of the cuts have been primarily focused on money-draining units, such as Amazon voice-assistant Alexa and ebook-reader Kindle.

And if it remains at 10,000 laid off, it would represent roughly 1 percent of its global work force of more than 1.5 million.
True. It still doesn't make that 1% feel any better about losing their jobs around the holidays while watching them bid on NFL games.

Amazon is having massive layoffs, yet they are bidding on NFL games. Considering they are now one of the top global cloud providers with their Amazon Web Services (AWS) that have them outperforming IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle and other tech companies. I really don't know how they can be laying off employees and still afford to bid on NFL games.

Random thought. Has there been any studies on the profitability of broadcasting NFL games?
Although this is a 2015 article, it gives you some good insight into the answer to your question.

The NFL Is Not A “Loss Leader” For Broadcasters

The loss of a true legend! Rest in peace big guy.

**************************************************************************************

PFT
Steelers legend Franco Harris dies at 72
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2022, 7:03 AM

Franco Harris, the Hall of Fame running back who scored perhaps the greatest touchdown in NFL history, has died at the age of 72.

Harris died just two days before the 50th anniversary of the “Immaculate Reception,” his game-winning touchdown that propelled the 1970s Steelers to the first of their postseason victories, which is widely regarded as one of the signature plays in the history of the National Football League.

Harris’s family confirmed his death to KDKA. No cause of death has been reported.

After playing his college football at Penn State, Harris was selected by the Steelers in the first round of the 1972 NFL draft. He was named the league’s rookie of the year for that regular season, but it was in the playoffs that Harris became a legend.

The Steelers had made the playoffs that year for the first time in a quarter-century, but it appeared that their postseason was about to be cut short, as they trailed the Raiders 7-6 late in the fourth quarter of their opening round playoff game. But in the game’s closing seconds, Terry Bradshaw heaved a pass downfield toward John “Frenchy” Fuqua, the ball bounced off either Fuqua or Raiders safety Jack Tatum, and Harris somehow scooped the ball up just as it was going to hit the ground and raced in for a game-winning touchdown.

To this day, members of that Raiders team will insist both that Fuqua touched the ball, which would have made it illegal for Harris to catch it, and that Harris failed to grab the football before it hit the ground. But the officials ruled that it was Tatum who touched it and that Harris made the catch, and the touchdown stood.

If his accomplishments as a rookie had been all he did, Harris would be a legend forever: So great was that play that it’s often the first thing visitors to Pittsburgh learn about, as a statue of Harris making the catch is on display in the Pittsburgh airport. But Harris would go on to win four Super Bowl rings with the Steelers, to win a Super Bowl MVP award, to receive the NFL Man of the Year Award, to go to nine Pro Bowls, and to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The NFL was already planning to honor the memory of the Immaculate Reception with Saturday night’s Raiders-Steelers game, but now that game takes on a special significance, as the entire football world — even Raiders fans — will pay their respects to Harris.

Harris will be remembered as one of the all-time great Steelers, as one of the driving forces behind the great 1970s Steelers dynasty, and as a man who was respected and beloved by Steeler Nation and throughout the football world.

The NFL and broadcast companies have colluded to prevent the Sunday Ticket being offered at a lower price.

Report: YouTube to pay $2.5 billion per year for Sunday Ticket
Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2022, 9:49 AM EST

As explained in Playmakers, the Janet Jackson incident at Super Bowl XXXVIII — and the curiosity of those who missed it live — helped provide the spark for the creation of a video-sharing service known as YouTube. Nearly 20 years later, YouTube and the NFL will be doing a significant piece of business together.

As reported last night by multiple outlets, and as PFT has confirmed, YouTube is closing in on a deal for Sunday Ticket, the out-of-market package that DirecTV has exclusively broadcast since 1994, when it debuted. John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that YouTube will pay $2.5 billion per year for the package.

Talks with Google (the YouTube parent company) accelerated after Apple dropped out. Amazon was also involved; however, Ourand reports that Amazon “never got close” to the amount Google/YouTube will pay.

The Sunday Ticket package will be available on YouTube TV and YouTube Premium channels, if/when the deal is done. The price will be similar to the current DirecTV charge. That reportedly became the sticking point for Apple, which wanted to make the product less expensive for consumers.

As Alex Sherman of CNBC.com reported in June, the NFL’s deals with CBS and Fox prevent the NFL from offering Sunday Ticket at a significantly lower price. This helps maximize viewership of the games offered by CBS and Fox in a given market, by keeping people from purchasing the ability to watch all games.

Don’t get mad at CBS or Fox or YouTube about this. The NFL could have taken less from CBS and Fox in order to secure the ability to sell Sunday Ticket for less. The league, taking full advantage of its broadcast antitrust exemption, maximized the revenue from all broadcasters while also making it more expensive for average fans to watch the games they want to watch.

Basically, Apple wanted to buy the package and make it cheaper for fans. The NFL said no, no, no.
So ho, ho, ho. Merry Christmas.

The NFL announced on this morning that, starting in 2023, Sunday Ticket will be available only through YouTube. The video quality of YouTube TV has been somewhat less than ideal. They better do something to change that.

Back