Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL.com saying Texans signed Vernon Hargreaves

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Hargreaves could settle on a 1 year veterans minimum contract with bonuses. It would work as a 1 year prove-it kind of contract. I don't think he's going to get any offer that's better than a 1 year prove-it deal if he wants to stay in the NFL. He could always go to the XFL and try and rebuild his CFB reputation.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

This BOB GM clown show just keeps getting more hysterical.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

This BOB GM clown show just keeps getting more hysterical.
We’re about to witness a 51-7 version of the GM next season with the moves he’s making.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So a defense with a DVOA coming in at 26, has the same people back, minus Reader and JJo, and adding a backup CB for $20M for 3 years?

Sounds exciting so far.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So a defense with a DVOA coming in at 26, has the same people back, minus Reader and JJo, and adding a backup CB for $20M for 3 years?

Sounds exciting so far.
maybe this will be the year DVOA shows up in the standings.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
According to this thread, the knock on Hargreaves was effort.

IMO, the little fella plaid with effort all year long. I’d like to see him next season with another coaching staff. If the guys who make the 52 are better than him, that’s pretty good IMO.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
4th corner

Maybe 5th corner

Sign a vet CB in FA and draft a slot.

Roby/FA/

Outside CB with Roby in the slot, or drafted slot/ Then Maybe/Hargreaves and Crossen due to Crossen's ST's value.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you given up on your boy Conley?
Doc said his ankle surgery (Which was supposed to be a minor taking screws out of his ankle surgery) went wrong and got infected. It looks like his career might be over. I truly feel for the young man. He had talent to play CB in the NFL. He was not a star level CB but a starting level CB in the NFL. IMHO

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Doc said his ankle surgery (Which was supposed to be a minor taking screws out of his ankle surgery) went wrong and got infected. It looks like his career might be over. I truly feel for the young man. He had talent to play CB in the NFL. He was not a star level CB but a starting level CB in the NFL. IMHO
I agree. He was solid, but nothing more. Sound like you have given up on him. Sucks.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Hopefully CnD got this one wrong. But missing an entire season having screws removed doesn't look promising.
If Alex Smith can have 17 surgeries and almost die, Conley can find a way to bounce back.

Although I am not as high on him as you are/were. I would rather cut all the DB's (keep Reid) and start over.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
If Alex Smith can have 17 surgeries and almost die, Conley can find a way to bounce back.

Although I am not as high on him as you are/were. I would rather cut all the DB's (keep Reid) and start over.
I like Roby, and willing to give LJ another shot. This coaching staff has proven they don't know how to develop players. Unfortunately we are stuck with Murray for another year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Fair point. But at the end of the day, it was the wrong move. Just like the Tunsil trade. It sort of made sense, but at the end of the day, it didn't work out.
It was only the wrong move because he got hurt. If that's the standard then no trades would ever be made for fear of the guy you traded for might get hurt.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The bolded just gave me a horrible O'Brien flashback. "Plays hard, practices hard, tough, dependable..."
He may play with effort, but there's nothing he does well. Crossen can't cover, but at least he can tackle. I'd be ok with keeping him as a cheap 4th corner, nothing more.
I’m just saying bring him into camp. If we can’t find four guys better than Hargreaves, eh...

I believe the idea was he just didn’t fit the Buccaneers defensive philosophy & there was an effort issue.

I’m not seeing an effort issue so I’m thinking the defensive philosophy thing led to the effort issue.

I know we have a coaching issue.

I’d like to see what the new coaching staff can do with him. We’re low on capital, so he’ll probably battling journeymen & udfas

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I would not keep a single member of this secondary.
I don't think there's going to be as much turnover as we think. I mean, there will be some, but the new regime is going to have to come in here and evaluate, figure out if these guys can actually be coached up, or if they truly are less talented. I don't think that gets done in 1 off-season, especially if off-season workouts are anything like last off-season. Not to mention the limited resources they have to make wholesale changes. I think a lot of this roster could still be intact for 2021 with the season being used to evaluate. Then we go into 2022 with a full slate of draft picks, and go from there.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m just saying bring him into camp. If we can’t find four guys better than Hargreaves, eh...

I believe the idea was he just didn’t fit the Buccaneers defensive philosophy & there was an effort issue.

I’m not seeing an effort issue so I’m thinking the defensive philosophy thing led to the effort issue.

I know we have a coaching issue.

I’d like to see what the new coaching staff can do with him. We’re low on capital, so he’ll probably battling journeymen & udfas
He’s an unrestricted free agent. If nobody signs him before TC, sure, bring him in to compete. But I’m completely opposed to resigning unless it’s for vet minimum. And I’d only want to see him if they were in a crunch for secondary bodies. I’d rather a 7th round rookie get experience in 2021 than more of Hargreaves.