Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL.com saying Texans signed Vernon Hargreaves

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

That doesn't read like we're on the hook for a 5th year option or 9mil injury guaranteed next year. Just 900k this year.

This is a solid move. Roby's on a 1 year deal so if he bolts we're in play with Vernon. If we dont like him we dont CUT him. We low ball him so he signs elsewhere. Only then I believe is there any chance for a comp pick.

At best I think the comp pick would be a 6 or 7 - it depends on his playing time etc.
Looked up the rules which state that if a player is outright released, that team cannot claim a compensatory pick. Any player with less than four years of NFL service when cut is not a free agent, but must first pass through waivers. Any player on waivers is subject to having their contract claimed by any other NFL team. Hargreaves was not a FA when we claimed him off of waivers. so we had to pick up his contract..........which included the 2020 season. We either have to renegotiate his 5th year or if we release him before he becomes a FA after the completion of the existing 2020 portion of the contract , we cannot claim a compensatory pick. In other words we have to lose him solely to FA when his existing contract run out.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Tallahassee is 5 hours from here and Winston is from Alabama. Outside of that Uber incident in Las Vegas, Winston has been a model citizen here. He’s real involved in the community, etc.

If he could stop turning the ball over he would be an elite QB. That’s what’s so frustrating about him. Between the turnovers he looks great. Sadly, that’s just who he is. He was doing the same at FSU however at the college level a great team like FSU can overcome those. IMO, Winston could play on Mars and he’s going to be the same guy.

Unlike Winston, VH has never looked great. A great play once in a blue moon yes, but that’s about it. BTW, I get the optimism. That’s what us fans do. I just so happen to be a fan of both teams and see both sides. For the sake of the Texans I hope they can draw blood from this turnip however I’m not holding my breath.

BTW, is anyone coming out here next month for the game? I’ve got the tailgate hook up for anyone coming.
As beat up as the Texans have been in the secondary and the fact that this guy cost them nothing asset wise , its such a low risk move with a high ceiling , its hard for me to complain …. even with the negatives about the player.

If it works out , great …. If not , it cost $800k for you to take a look up close for 7 games. That's a risk you take in the Texans position.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
It seems that every move that is made by the current regime is vilified immediately...and I can't say that I blame folks due to past failures, but this looks to be a pretty low risk/high reward move to me. It's a position that needs attention and attention is being made to it. Conley's looking to be a good move so far, albeit too early to say for fact...but it would seem to me that any move, except blundering pathetic moves, are good moves compared to the past. I'd rather see trying being made and failure then outright apathy.

I like the moves so far, but then again, I'm a homer. :)

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
So just to clear things up, if he gets hurt, the Texans owe him 9 million dollars next year?

Can the Texans renegotiate his contract with him?

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
So just to clear things up, if he gets hurt, the Texans owe him 9 million dollars next year?

I think so. It’s one of the reasons the Bucs moved on from him. They didn’t want to risk that money and cap hit.

Not sure about renegotiation.

Reactions: ROO

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I think so. It’s one of the reasons the Bucs moved on from him. They didn’t want to risk that money and cap hit.

Not sure about renegotiation.

We should be able to renegotiate any contract at any time. If he's unwilling he doesn't have to see the field at all.

Getting stuck with 9 on the cap would be disaster.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Were contract details released when we signed him? Why would we be obligated to follow through on another team's contract AFTER the player was cut?

Why would a mid season free agent acquisition be different than a normal off season free agent? Contracts were never my (matt) forte. What am I missing?
Because he was a waiver claim. If we just waited for him to clear waivers then we could have signed him for whatever and not have to worry about the $9million next year.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I think it has to be an injury that is pretty serious, for example the won't be able to release him if he tears his ACL. But I think if he sprains and ankle then returns then he can be released

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I am offshore working and didn't get to see this game. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how Hargreaves did tonight? Does he look like he can lock down a position long term for us?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Need to see the all 22, but V seemed to play the slot and play well. Noticeable pass break up, some tackles, seemed physical and focused. It also seems RAC has some players who can play man and be more physical not letting receivers off the LOS. I did see a 3rd and 4 or so where the CB bailed like 12 yards pre snap and made it easy money. V played fine it seems on the surface. In general though, the DBs did not seem to want to hit the RBs and run support from DBs was not what we are used to.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I did see a 3rd and 4 or so where the CB bailed like 12 yards pre snap and made it easy money.
The first play after special teams downed the ball inside their one. The Colts line up empty backfield, Jacoby standing in the end zone. You know they are going to get the ball out quick. They have to. Our DBs gave up 12 yards, our LBs crowd the line, the middle is wide open. There was no way we were going to stop them from completing a short pass to get out of the end zone.

Poor situational awareness if you ask me.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
The first play after special teams downed the ball inside their one. The Colts line up empty backfield, Jacoby standing in the end zone. You know they are going to get the ball out quick. They have to. Our DBs gave up 12 yards, our LBs crowd the line, the middle is wide open. There was no way we were going to stop them from completing a short pass to get out of the end zone.

Poor situational awareness if you ask me.
Seth was saying on 610 this morning that RAC was doing everything he could to protect the secondary. He has them playing soft coverage and never brought a safety down to help with run support.

While I was screaming at the D the whole game for the horrendous run D and lack of pass rush... they only gave up 17 points. I forget, but their biggest play was 18 yards?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Thursday night marked Vernon Hargreaves' first game in Houston since being waived by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The fourth-year corner played 53 defensive snaps in his Texans debut, filling in for Roby alongside Johnathan Joseph and Gareon Conley. Hargreaves racked up five tackles -- though he admitted after the game he missed a few he should have made -- and a pass defensed. Cut by Tampa Bay for not hustling, Hargreaves appears to have made a fast impression on his coach and teammates. "Meaningful games, that's something I haven't been a part of that in a long time," he told the Houston Chronicle after the win. More play like that on Thursday night, and Hargreaves will be playing a vital role in meaningful games deep into January for the first time in his career.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Thursday night marked Vernon Hargreaves' first game in Houston since being waived by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The fourth-year corner played 53 defensive snaps in his Texans debut, filling in for Roby alongside Johnathan Joseph and Gareon Conley. Hargreaves racked up five tackles -- though he admitted after the game he missed a few he should have made -- and a pass defensed. Cut by Tampa Bay for not hustling, Hargreaves appears to have made a fast impression on his coach and teammates. "Meaningful games, that's something I haven't been a part of that in a long time," he told the Houston Chronicle after the win. More play like that on Thursday night, and Hargreaves will be playing a vital role in meaningful games deep into January for the first time in his career.
He is going to be excited to play for a divisional banner every year.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Well sure. That and not getting pounded by Hurricanes every year.
You guys have had more issues with hurricanes than we have. There hasn’t been a direct hit by a major hurricane here (Tampa Bay Area) since 1921 believe it or not. Knock on wood of course.

As for VH, time will tell. He looked good the first two games here this year under Todd Bowles then went back to his old ways. I was actually sold on him after week 2 and thought that maybe it was the old system and staff. I’m not falling for that again especially after one game. He can look like a Pro Bowler for the rest of the season and I probably still won’t be sold.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
While I was screaming at the D the whole game for the horrendous run D
I have to rethink that "horrendous run D" thing. In hindsight it might have been just the thing to slow down Indy's offense.

I mean they used up a lot of clock, & couldn't sustain complete scoring drives.

Offensively we had the same problem, but in our frustration we kept taking shots downfield, which resulted in points.

They thought running on 3rd & 4 was a good idea.

powda

I have to rethink that "horrendous run D" thing. In hindsight it might have been just the thing to slow down Indy's offense.

Offensively we had the same problem, but in our frustration we kept taking shots downfield, which resulted in points.

We think running on first down is a good idea no matter what. I see your point on allowing them to run. It works if you have a lead. Otherwise its risky.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
You guys have had more issues with hurricanes than we have. There hasn’t been a direct hit by a major hurricane here (Tampa Bay Area) since 1921 believe it or not. Knock on wood of course.

As for VH, time will tell. He looked good the first two games here this year under Todd Bowles then went back to his old ways. I was actually sold on him after week 2 and thought that maybe it was the old system and staff. I’m not falling for that again especially after one game. He can look like a Pro Bowler for the rest of the season and I probably still won’t be sold.
Glad you admitted your bias here.

As a Texans fan, I am looking for the Vernon that is better than picking up the random guy that has not been on an NFL roster for the rest of this season good.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Glad you admitted your bias here.
I guess it’s the same bias that I had for David Carr when he went to Carolina. I had seen enough to be of the opinion that Carr wasn’t going to be much different there. Some Panther fans were probably more optimistic. I get it.

This is just an unusual situation where I’m a fan of both teams. As a Texans fan I don’t hold the same optimism on this guy. However, sure, he’s probably better than grabbing some random dude off of the street.

powda

I guess it’s the same bias that I had for David Carr when he went to Carolina. I had seen enough to be of the opinion that Carr wasn’t going to be much different there. Some Panther fans were probably more optimistic. I get it.

This is just an unusual situation where I’m a fan of both teams. As a Texans fan I don’t hold the same optimism on this guy. However, sure, he’s probably better than grabbing some random dude off of the street.
Being a Tampa fan I'd wager you've seen Vernon more then 99% of the posters here so thanks for your feedback.

Cornerbacks dont get drafted in the first round unless they have a lot of physical talent. The real question is his maturity and dedication. I'm hoping getting cut is a wake up call and he turns his career around. Having people like Romeo and jjo around might do wonders as well.

I think if guys like Roby, Connelly, and Vernon just play up to their potential we could be good. Mix in Reid (who's probably my favorite Texan) and we're set in the secondary.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think if guys like Roby, Connelly, and Vernon just play up to their potential we could be good. Mix in Reid (who's probably my favorite Texan) and we're set in the secondary.
Exactly my thoughts when we signed Roby. I think he got tied up with the regime change & a marked dropoff in coaching talent.

Conley, same thing.

Nothing against Hargreaves, but third trip to that well? Chances are it's not going to work out well for the Texans.

But I am glad we have 1st round talent locked up for next year since we don't have a 1st round pick.

Like I said, probably won't work out for us the way I hope, but LonnieJ, Conly, & Hargreaves isn't a bad worse case scenario for next year.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Exactly my thoughts when we signed Roby. I think he got tied up with the regime change & a marked dropoff in coaching talent.

Conley, same thing.

Nothing against Hargreaves, but third trip to that well? Chances are it's not going to work out well for the Texans.

But I am glad we have 1st round talent locked up for next year since we don't have a 1st round pick.

Like I said, probably won't work out for us the way I hope, but LonnieJ, Conly, & Hargreaves isn't a bad worse case scenario for next year.
Agreed. But still hope we re-sign Roby to round out our corners.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

Their first TD was a 42 yard drive where they ran the ball every play. Two series later, they went 66 yards for another TD. Only ONE pass attempt in that drive, for 7 yards. I thought the defense was done and the Colts were in total control.

Seth on 610 said RAC was refusing to put 8 in the box to help stop the run. Interesting strategy, but I guess it worked!?

badboy

Hall of Fame

badboy

Hall of Fame

If he plays like a pro bowler for the rest of the season I will be sold. LOL

badboy

Hall of Fame
Being a Tampa fan I'd wager you've seen Vernon more then 99% of the posters here so thanks for your feedback.

Cornerbacks dont get drafted in the first round unless they have a lot of physical talent. The real question is his maturity and dedication. I'm hoping getting cut is a wake up call and he turns his career around. Having people like Romeo and jjo around might do wonders as well.

I think Roby wishes he had accepted the three-year 30 million dollars from another team.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

Isnt RACs calm, fatherly demeanor a welcome change during press conferences? Guy has seen it all, doesnt get worked up. Just put out one fire at a time.

On Hargreaves, he's been a pleasant surprise at times. He's still figuring out the system obviously, but on sheer talent alone he's been holding his own. Here's hoping he stays focused on the buisness and professional side of the game and becomes a solid player for this team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sounds like our regular WatJICson lover dismissed himself from the shower his morning to watch a RAC clip and still have time to figure out a way to turn a positive (Signing Hargreaves/trading for Conley) that he was totally against into a very creative way to bash BOB.

BTW, His Avatar is still offensive but nothing will be done about it. #JIC

Uncle Rico

Me loving my 1st Amendment rights! Thanks Texans Talk for not being like Russia, China or North Korea! Thank God Deshaun was not a Muslim and I would have had to use some kind of Islamic religious avatar, there might have been some real violence around here. Chill out guys, God doesnt want you to be mad and attack people because of their good/bad humor. No need for crusades!

edit for levity (i know, i know im not a "good" christian:

Last edited:

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
How did Hargreaves look yesterday? I had the Texans game going on my iPad and honestly wasn't watching it as closely once things got out of hand. The Bucs secondary has vastly improved since showing this bum the door and have won 3 in a row now.

Uncle Rico

How did Hargreaves look yesterday? I had the Texans game going on my iPad and honestly wasn't watching it as closely once things got out of hand. The Bucs secondary has vastly improved since showing this bum the door and have won 3 in a row now.
summed up in a gif from last week to this week? Was feeling good after the Pats game, and then yesterday happened.

OzzO

.. and then?
The Houston Texans will part ways with cornerback Vernon Hargreaves, III heading into the 2020 season. Hargreaves was claimed by the Texans mid-season after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers parted ways with him due to performance.

The Texans claimed Hargreaves and added him to the secondary and the started at their nickel position.

On March 18th, Hargreaves' 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed, worth $9.594 million. His contract number was prohibitive for the Texans heading into the off-season and now his available cap will be used to address the position heading into the off-season...... {/quote]

SI.com