Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL.com saying Texans signed Vernon Hargreaves

Porky

Hall of Fame
From his NFL draft profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/vernon-hargreaves?id=2555299

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Premier, quick twitch athlete with explosion pulsing through his hips and feet. Instant click-and-close action to explode forward and attack the throw. Vertical springs to go up and over receivers at the high point. Smooth, controlled backpedal with ability to weave and mirror route progressions. Plays with outstanding body control and balance. Feet are electric. Can overwhelm lesser opponents across from him. Instinctive and urgent in his play. Excels from press, off or zone coverage. Fiery competitor with a strong desire to own the pass. Has quick, soft hands. Posted 38 passes defensed and 10 interceptions over last three years. Could see early kick or punt return action. Unwilling to stay blocked and doesn't hesitate for one moment in run support and against wide receiver screens. Chest-up tackler who runs through his target.

WEAKNESSES
Lean, wiry frame. Aggressive nature allows teams to bait him with double moves. Quicker than fast and doesn't have closing speed to make mistakes underneath and still recover on top. Allowed 16.5 yards per completion this season. Scouts worry about his height outside. Big receivers will pose a challenge on the next level. Had his two worst games of the season in SEC Championship game against Alabama and Citrus Bowl against Michigan. Willingness to throw body around in run support could cause him to break down.

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1 NFL COMPARISON Joe Haden

BOTTOM LINE
While scouts have voiced some concerns about Hargreaves' size and recovery speed, you won't find anyone who doesn't admire his competitiveness and consistency of production. Hargreaves has a level of suddenness and explosiveness in his movements that should always have him near the ball. With top-notch ball skills and exceptional instincts that drew praise from Alabama's Nick Saban, Hargreaves possesses the football makeup to become a Pro Bowl cornerback.

Porky

Hall of Fame
He was drafted #11 overall in 2016. I like this new aggressive approach to talent acquisition. This is the type of move the former GM's would not have made. It might be a fail, I realize that. It could also be a win. Some guys flourish in new environments and schemes. It's definitely worth a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Considering the injury's in the DB area, I'd say this is a good move. Thanks BOB!

He was drafted #11 overall in 2016. I like this new aggressive approach to talent acquisition. This is the type of move the former GM's would not have made. It might be a fail, I realize that. It could also be a win. Some guys flourish in new environments and schemes. It's definitely worth a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Considering the injury's in the DB area, I'd say this is a good move. Thanks BOB!
Agreed, love the rolling of the dice on this. Have the cap space, may as well use it for these high reward, low risk players. Worse case, just cut him.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Why do you say this? What's so unique about this move? Actually sounds identical to a guy named Jason Allen. Former 1st round pick corner, cut by the Dolphins, then claimed off waivers by Rick.

banned1976

sleeper mode
According to Hookem, Hargreaves is “lazy and sucks”. All I know is if you’re dumping a former high 1st round pick who’s still young and hardly no one wanted him something is wrong with the guy.

I hope he’s cut before he does any real damage to the Texans.

That is all.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
According to Hookem, Hargreaves is “lazy and sucks”. All I know is if you’re dumping a former high 1st round pick who’s still young and hardly no one wanted him something is wrong with the guy.

That is all.
What kind of real damage can he do?

They took a flier on a talented guy with issues. If it works out he's a steal. If it doesn't they cut him. I can tell you this, Hargreaves is better than Colvin today, even with his attitude issues.

Change of scenery might do him well. Sometimes a guy just needs to be slapped in the face to wake him up and make him realize his career is in the balance. This is Hargreaves slap in the face.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I hope we don't need him & he can show how bad he wants to play by carrying pads & cleaning latrines.

With Jjo, Roby, Conly, & LonnieJ (I still like Body-Calhoun) Hargreaves shouldn't see the field unless he impresses the sht out of somebody.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
According to fantasy nerds the bucs give up more fantasy points to wrs than anyone else. Wasnt this guy called out for not trying? How the hell he end up in Houston. I may be wrong. If I'm wrong sorry.

Throw away clowney because not try hard guy but bring this guy in?

Oh well, see what happens

Last edited:

texan279

Hall of Fame
The Bucs decision to waive Hargreaves, the 11th overall pick from Florida, was met with mixed reaction by players Wednesday.

The Bucs secondary was already thinned by injuries to cornerbacks Carlton Davis and M.J. Stewart, yet the team parted ways with their most experienced homegrown defensive back. Houston claimed Hargreaves, 24, off of waivers Wednesday even though he had fallen out of favor with Tampa Bay.

Hargreaves was benched in the third quarter of Sunday’s 30-27 win over the Arizona Cardinals after failing to hustle and make a tackle on what proved to be a 55-yard catch and run.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When I saw that he had been cut from TB, I did not post because I did not expect him to get to us. When I saw today that we picked him up I was ecstatic. I know what hookem said but this guy had 4 ints his Junior & final year at the University of Florida in 2016. I think he has the skill set to be successful although only five foot ten he is a solid 200 plus pounds today. His combine 4.50 speed is not what I like but he has an excellent 39 inch vertical. I think Texans defensive coaching can get him where he needs to be. Texans only have about 1/2 of his contract of about 1 million dollars to pay and we now have a 5th year option for him. He might not be a spark but if given some time to adjust to Texans I'm hoping he could develop into a blowtorch. Who knows maybe he will bring a Christmas present for us when we play bucks. Who could get excited for playing for Tampa Bay anyway?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Makes me feel a certain kind of way when a player quits on his team. Hargreaves being from Florida, playing in Tampa and just not being anywhere near focused or inspired.

Not sure that even if he plays well he wouldn’t do the same to this team.

No denying the talent- he has more tools than Conley IMO, but you can’t teach heart.

At least this didn’t cost draft picks.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Whatever, he’s lazy and sucks. I’ve watched every game he’s played in and several in person. Some were saying that the old regime were not utilizing him right so I held out judgment. I trust Todd Bowles and in a scheme that was said to totally fit his skill set he still sucked.

He was a bad influence on the field and locker room and that’s why he was sent packing. So no, I’m not thrilled that he’s now with my original hometown team. I was hoping that the Cowboys would’ve picked him up.

BTW, I wish the Texans would send their GM out here to Tampa Bay to replace Jason Licht. Having no one would draft better than this guy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When I saw that he had been cut from TB, I did not post because I did not expect him to get to us. When I saw today that we picked him up I was ecstatic. I know what hookem said but this guy had 4 ints his Junior & final year at the University of Florida in 2016. I think he has the skill set to be successful although only five foot ten he is a solid 200 plus pounds today. His combine 4.50 speed is not what I like but he has an excellent 39 inch vertical. I think Texans defensive coaching can get him where he needs to be. Texans only have about 1/2 of his contract of about 1 million dollars to pay and we now have a 5th year option for him. He might not be a spark but if given some time to adjust to Texans I'm hoping he could develop into a blowtorch. Who knows maybe he will bring a Christmas present for us when we play bucks. Who could get excited for playing for Tampa Bay anyway?
I'm hoping he can develop into a solid slot CB.

I think he was miscast playing outside.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Whatever, he’s lazy and sucks. I’ve watched every game he’s played in and several in person. Some were saying that the old regime were not utilizing him right so I held out judgment. I trust Todd Bowles and in a scheme that was said to totally fit his skill set he still sucked.

He was a bad influence on the field and locker room and that’s why he was sent packing. So no, I’m not thrilled that he’s now with my original hometown team. I was hoping that the Cowboys would’ve picked him up.

BTW, I wish the Texans would send their GM out here to Tampa Bay to replace Jason Licht. Having no one would draft better than this guy.
I dont doubt what you're saying.

Is it a lack of talent, being misused, or lack of heart would you say is holding him back?

badboy

Hall of Fame

Hmm. Could cost 10mil if he gets hurt? Expensive rental
Well the 10 million only applies in 2020. It would seem he has to get to 2020 and if he's as bad as hookem says probably won't get there. 2020 is GTD for injury only and Texans have 7 reg games to try him this year at $800 k

here are links to two other good articles offering maybe a different perspective. One says he was not a locker room issue. The other talks about him being forced into a zone defense when he is a coverage guy. Also not mentioned anywhere else he had a shoulder injury that took out most of 2018 season. He started off first two games 2019 really good and then his play begin to deteriorate. Hopefully doc will give us his opinion if his shoulder may have been re-injured this season.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I dont doubt what you're saying.

Is it a lack of talent, being misused, or lack of heart would you say is holding him back?
I would say all of the above except maybe being misused. With the last regime maybe but Todd Bowles was apparently putting him in the right place.

I had high hopes after he had a pick 6 during the opener however after that it was back to getting burnt, being out of place, etc.

This team needs a culture overhaul and dumping Gerald McCoy was a good start. This has the same feel to it in the sense that this was a locker room move. That said, VH isn’t anywhere near the player GMac is and I’m not a fan of McCoy.

DanielTx

Veteran
Welp, when I said we’d win a Super Bowl in Watson 3rd season. I was unsure than, now... with 3 lock down corners excluding JJo. This team officially has a chance. Bucs drafted Vernon because he was suppose to be there Darrell revis. Just like the Conley trade, it takes a new team for some players to progress. We have a 1st round steal in Vernon. I love it

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Vernon must realize he's been cut from the team that spent an 11th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft on him. He's playing in the 4th season of his rookie contract and with his 2020 option up for grabs......I'm betting he gets his shite together and adheres to what RC wants out of him. There's a lot of 2020 money and future NFL money riding on how he handles himself down the stretch.

Personally, I think he finds his way into becoming an asset for the Texans.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Maybe his issue is like Winstons imo. Both are immature and they would have benefited by not being drafted by the team on the other side of town.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Maybe his issue is like Winstons imo. Both are immature and they would have benefited by not being drafted by the team on the other side of town.
Tallahassee is 5 hours from here and Winston is from Alabama. Outside of that Uber incident in Las Vegas, Winston has been a model citizen here. He’s real involved in the community, etc.

If he could stop turning the ball over he would be an elite QB. That’s what’s so frustrating about him. Between the turnovers he looks great. Sadly, that’s just who he is. He was doing the same at FSU however at the college level a great team like FSU can overcome those. IMO, Winston could play on Mars and he’s going to be the same guy.

Unlike Winston, VH has never looked great. A great play once in a blue moon yes, but that’s about it. BTW, I get the optimism. That’s what us fans do. I just so happen to be a fan of both teams and see both sides. For the sake of the Texans I hope they can draw blood from this turnip however I’m not holding my breath.

BTW, is anyone coming out here next month for the game? I’ve got the tailgate hook up for anyone coming.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I echo the thoughts that we now have enough depth so Texans can kick tires and cut bait if they don't like what they see. Low risk with upside. I like that he will also be away from where he grew up, Florida. Sometimes there are too many distractions from football when you are near the places where everyone tells you how great you are

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Great analysis BadBoy ! Yea man, Jeez I dunno either where's the down side ? Hell yea, do this !
He's got half a season for his audition with his new employer.
I dunno wonder who's really making the calls on these free agents ?
O'Brien may the official, unofficial GM be he's surely far too busy preparing the team for it's stretch run to be evaluating all of these
prospects ?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I can see Hargreaves moving to FS and moving Reid to SS. Base package Roby/Conley/Hargreaves/Reid with Addai and Joseph as the nickle and dime guys. Rest of the DBs just depth and special teams.
No Gipson love? I prefer keeping Reid at FS, I don't think he has the body to stay healthy at SS.

I'm tempering my expectations on Hargreaves. There has to be a reason why the Bucs released him and the Texans were the ONLY team to put a waiver claim on him. My realistic expectations for him is our 5th corner when everyone is healthy. I don't see him passing JJo, Roby, LJ, and Conley on the depth chart.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
At least he's turning over rocks to see if there's anything under them. He's burned about as many draft picks as he could possibly afford so at least grabbing this guy doesn't cost the Texans anything (does it?). It always frustrated me in the past when the Texans wouldn't take the trouble to look under a rock every once in a while. Particularly when it would cost them nothing to do so.

See what's wrong with him and find out if the Buc's gave up too soon. It probably doesn't work out but isn't that what this end of the depth chart is for anyway?

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

No Gipson love? I prefer keeping Reid at FS, I don't think he has the body to stay healthy at SS.

I'm tempering my expectations on Hargreaves. There has to be a reason why the Bucs released him and the Texans were the ONLY team to put a waiver claim on him. My realistic expectations for him is our 5th corner when everyone is healthy. I don't see him passing JJo, Roby, LJ, and Conley on the depth chart.
id like to have a playmaker like Reid in the box at times and given the ability to freestyle. Similar to honey badger last year. It’s just a scenario to revitalize Hargreaves, his film looks horrible on the outside islands.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Why do you say this? What's so unique about this move? Actually sounds identical to a guy named Jason Allen. Former 1st round pick corner, cut by the Dolphins, then claimed off waivers by Rick.
You don't see a change in the way the team is going about acquiring talent? Much more aggressive wouldn't you say? I wasn't focusing on this move in a vacuum. This move is part of a larger overall set of moves since BOB has been the defacto GM that are WAY more aggressive than the previous regimes. I for one, like it.

If you can't see that, we'll just agree to disagree. Have a good one.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
You don't see a change in the way the team is going about acquiring talent? Much more aggressive wouldn't you say? I wasn't focusing on this move in a vacuum. This move is part of a larger overall set of moves since BOB has been the defacto GM that are WAY more aggressive than the previous regimes. I for one, like it.

If you can't see that, we'll just agree to disagree. Have a good one.
I definitely see a change. I was merely commenting on your quote "This is the type of move the former GM's would not have made". That sounds like you are focusing on this move alone.

But yes, overall, BOB has been extremely aggressive in acquiring players. TBH, I always thought we were aggressive in the past, but BOB took it to another level.

In my view, jury is still out on whether this aggressiveness is good for our franchise or not. Aggression is good for short-term success, not necessarily long-term. Hopefully the plan works out!

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Well the 10 million only applies in 2020. It would seem he has to get to 2020 and if he's as bad as hookem says probably won't get there. 2020 is GTD for injury only and Texans have 7 reg games to try him this year at $800 k

here are links to two other good articles offering maybe a different perspective. One says he was not a locker room issue. The other talks about him being forced into a zone defense when he is a coverage guy. Also not mentioned anywhere else he had a shoulder injury that took out most of 2018 season. He started off first two games 2019 really good and then his play begin to deteriorate. Hopefully doc will give us his opinion if his shoulder may have been re-injured this season.

So if he gets injured this year, are the Texans on the hook for the 2020 salary?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I definitely see a change. I was merely commenting on your quote "This is the type of move the former GM's would not have made". That sounds like you are focusing on this move alone.

But yes, overall, BOB has been extremely aggressive in acquiring players. TBH, I always thought we were aggressive in the past, but BOB took it to another level.

In my view, jury is still out on whether this aggressiveness is good for our franchise or not. Aggression is good for short-term success, not necessarily long-term. Hopefully the plan works out!
Gaine was not aggressive at all. Maybe he would have been later or maybe that was just his style. Judging by his previous history and that we spent less of the cap space under him than under any other GM, something like 92% vs average of 98%, I'd say it was more his style. RS was more aggressive if he felt like the player was truly worth it IE Watson and Osweiler, but if he didn't think the player or even position was worth it then he tended not to put as much effort into it. I'll say this it would be very easy for BoB to just focus on O and tell RAC to figure it out but he seems to be making just as much effort to help out the D as he can as well. The last what, three moves have been to help the D.

BoB has fully bought into the "win now" mode and frankly so far it seems to be paying off. If we win against the Ravens it will have really paid off because then the 2nd seed will be ours to lose. I'm not sure how sustainable all these moves are long term but then that's the whole point of win now is you don't care about long term and frankly it has made this season more fun than I thought it would be with our schedule.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After reading Cnnnd's post in the injury thread I wonder if Tampa is just as frustrated with his availability as BO'b was with Clowney. I haven't seen him play so it's just a thought.

I've seen many players with elite talent get off on the wrong foot & never recover. It's going to carry on to the new team as well. He's not coming in as a 1st round expected to start role. It will be interesting to see how he handles the situation.

Porky

Hall of Fame

I think we were one of the safest, dullest, milquetoast teams out there when it came to almost everything, certainly to include acquiring on-field talent. They've made a small handful of semi-bold moves over the previous 15+ seasons, but rarely stood out, and in any event those were isolated moved within an overall nice safe, plain vanilla wrapper.

There's no doubt in my mind, there's been a sea change since young Mr. McNair has taken the reins. It's rather unexpected TBH. I figured Daddy would have rubbed off on Jr. a lot more than he did apparently. I mean we can go over the laundry list since Cal has taken over but I'd like to think we both know there's been a seismic shift in the way this team is run off the field. It's dramatic. It's dynamic. And this team is loads more fun and interesting to observe and watch since Cal has taken over. Whether it's a long term success remains to be seen, but for once this team is interesting as hell to follow.

Uncle Rico

Being an "aggressive GM" doesnt constitue success just look at the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones.
Looks like Arians should have cut his starting secondary on that one.
Nah just the one who has shown many instances of quit, and this clip was probably the last straw, but I get it .. find any reason to defend the new guy and hope that he figures it out here.

I hate quitters.

But if anyone on this staff can bring out the best in the reclamation projects I would say it would be Romeo, he's probably the best coordinator on the staff, so I will give him the same amount of space as I did Conley (who only because has had 1 good game is by no means "there") I'll file this under "to be determined".

Stockpiling 1st round busts doesnt exactly add up to ONE GOOD PLAYER .. its just more of the same - HOPE.