Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New contracts

Having two firsts in this draft would be something. Which is why Raiders might want to hang on to theirs.

Of course, but perhaps Mayock thinks Clowney plus a 2 is more than he could get in a single player. And still have his later 1

Of course, but perhaps Mayock thinks Clowney plus a 2 is more than he could get in a single player. And still have his later 1
Having Mack and Clowney would be nice but he could probably have Ed Oliver or Josh Allen and Mack and keep his money too.

If someone wants to give us a 1 and 2 for Clowney, take it. More good players on rookie deals means you can focus your FA money at your weaknesses and do BPA in draft. I dont fire sale him, nor do I think the Raiders do that deal. They seem to be building from the draft and if you are going to suck, why pay someone a lot of money. Fill them in when you are ready to blossom. I think the Raiders are a couple of years away from doing that

This is exactly what Gruden is trying to do.

Have a good young, improving team when they get to Vegas. They aren't going to trade for high profile players and are going to hold onto their cap space until they get to Vegas and use it to create excitement in Sin City.

This is exactly what Gruden is trying to do.

Have a good young, improving team when they get to Vegas. They aren't going to trade for high profile players and are going to hold onto their cap space until they get to Vegas and use it to create excitement in Sin City.

worked so well in LA lol

Well, they did make it to the SB.

If you're referring to the Raiders moving to LA, they did win a SB shortly after moving to LA.

I meant drumming up interest in the team, during Superbowl week 2/3 of their sports radio talk was about the possibility of the Lakers trading for AD.

I don't see Vegas being a great place to house a team honestly. I think tickets will sell well, but mainly to opposing teams fans who just want to travel to a game as an excuse for a Vegas vacation

Reactions: JB
Franchise Clowney DE/OLB
Resign Mathieu FS
Resign Covington DT
Resign Deandre Carter WR
Resign K. Jackson CB (short deal)

Sign Tevin Coleman ATL RB
Sign John Brown BAL WR
Sign Trent Brown NE OT or Ja'Wuan James MIA OT
  1. Released Kevin Johnson
    (Saved: $9,069,000)
  2. Released Lamar Miller
    (Saved: $6,203,125)
  3. Released Johnathan Joseph
    (Saved: $4,487,500)
  4. Released Ryan Griffin
    (Saved: $2,687,500)
22,441,125 additional Cap saved
75,505,215 current cap space

97,946,340 new cap space

Anyone know time frame of RB Ajayi return from injury? I was thinking may be a cheaper option low risk high reward signing.

Draft
OT - CB - OG order don't matter

possible trade targets
Patrick Petterson ARZ CB
Xavien Howard MIA CB
Xavier Rhodes MIN CB

Franchise Clowney DE/OLB
Resign Mathieu FS
Resign Covington DT
Resign Deandre Carter WR
Resign K. Jackson CB (short deal)

Sign Tevin Coleman ATL RB
Sign John Brown BAL WR
Sign Trent Brown NE OT or Ja'Wuan James MIA OT
  1. Released Kevin Johnson
    (Saved: $9,069,000)
  2. Released Lamar Miller
    (Saved: $6,203,125)
  3. Released Johnathan Joseph
    (Saved: $4,487,500)
  4. Released Ryan Griffin
    (Saved: $2,687,500)
22,441,125 additional Cap saved
75,505,215 current cap space

97,946,340 new cap space

Anyone know time frame of RB Ajayi return from injury? I was thinking may be a cheaper option low risk high reward signing.

Draft
OT - CB - OG order don't matter

possible trade targets
Patrick Petterson ARZ CB
Xavien Howard MIA CB
Xavier Rhodes MIN CB
That would be a reasonable approach and don't argue with much of this and I think you are being practical so likely doable. I would need to see years and money on Kareem, but safety is ok if we lock up HB so prefer to get younger and longer at CB, would keep JJo to mentor and let him cover the third best, not best WR

We should resign Fairburn, Blackson, Scarlett too. I like your outside free agents for fit, and would draft a RB too. Want some push from the interior DL in free agency or draft so let Dunn walk and get more speed from a different fat guy

Why in the world would you release JJo from an already weak CB group? He's cheap.

not to mention he seems like he is the only semi viable corner we have on our roster currently. Other than him we have Colvin (who is a nickel corner that played poorly), and Kelly who was a late round rookie who spent his entire first season on IR. I guess KJo is technically still on our roster, but for $9 mil this next year he should be a dead man walking. No reason at all to cut JJo, maybe he wouldn't have looked quite as bad if we weren't forced to play him on teams #1's

Why in the world would you release JJo from an already weak CB group? He's cheap.
I feel like we need to get younger and more importantly faster at cb.
Jojo has a tendency to line up 10 yards off the line no matter the distance or down. I think he fears being beat deep. He has lost speed and his quick reaction or quick twitch.

Jojo has a tendency to line up 10 yards off the line no matter the distance or down. I think he fears being beat deep. He has lost speed and his quick reaction or quick twitch.

The drop is typically determined by the coaches. JJo had the tightest coverage on the team last season. There's no point kicking a player from #1 to the street. Move him down the ladder. He's cheap. Then draft someone for the future.

With our top 4 picks I'd like to see 2 OL, CB & RB.

I agree. I think other needs outweigh the need to upgrade JJo though. Would love to see us add guys that would enable us to play more press coverage though.

The drop is typically determined by the coaches. JJo had the tightest coverage on the team last season. There's no point kicking a player from #1 to the street. Move him down the ladder. He's cheap. Then draft someone for the future.

With our top 4 picks I'd like to see 2 OL, CB & RB or TE.

FIFY

A good FB would be nice and would help on short yardage situations.
Yes I am for this. Sign Trent Brown draft a power run OG. Then start some ground and pound. Helps our QB with reachable 3rd down situations. Sign a bruiser TE. We have young fitness TEs from draft last yr.

Yes I am for this. Sign Trent Brown draft a power run OG. Then start some ground and pound. Helps our QB with reachable 3rd down situations. Sign a bruiser TE. We have young fitness TEs from draft last yr.

Gaine just about ruled out Trent Brown.

One of those fitness TEs is 280 lbs. If the coaches can't teach him to block it's on them.

He ruled out improving OT thru freeagency?

Someone quoted a tweet from his press conference. His comment was akin to not being impressed with the free agents and looking to the draft.

So general impression, don't see them pulling a starter from FAs.

Someone quoted a tweet from his press conference. His comment was akin to not being impressed with the free agents and looking to the draft.

So general impression, don't see them pulling a starter from FAs.
Wow, not one OL freeagent that would improve our Oline that's hard to believe. Considering how bad our Oline is.

Wow, not one OL freeagent that would improve our Oline that's hard to believe. Considering how bad our Oline is.

He said something a long the lines of how deep the OL group was in the draft from top to bottom, but didn't see the same depth in free agency. Which is something we all knew to be true really, good tackles generally don;t hit the market so not much depth there

Not much out there at LT free agency other than Brown unless you think Ju'Wuan James could switch over. Donovon Smith is reportedly returning to Miami. None here as high on Davenport as I am but I've pushed to sign Brown and allow D and Rankin to battle for LG. If Gaines is ruling out Brown is he saying D will start? Who backs up RT Henderson if no FA signed for this spot? Want to take chance on him even with draft RT? My scenario is sign James, move H to backup and draft Scharping or Howard to backup RT and RG. We've got the cap space so play with big dogs or stay on porch!
Corner: sign Ronald Darby (1st year low GTD with huge 2nd season incentive (NLTBE doesn't count against cap til next season)due to ACL. He replaces Joseph 2020 whom he was compared to at combine. I'd also sign Nelson hoping he'd play opposite Darby/Joseph [other as b/up]. Draft CBs to fill rest of corps with Colvin recovering or cut. His dead $10.5 can be absorbed if no good & allow another guy to get reps. I will be adding soon to this thread on a contract suggestion for Bell and soon a new thread in college forum to discuss free agency and draft for Texans.

LT Brown, LG D/Rankin C Martin/Fulton RG Fulton/rookie RT James/Henderson

RBs Bell, Darrell Henderson, Foreman

ESPN 2019 NFL free-agency guide: Players to know, team needs and value signings

TOP OVERALL FREE AGENTS
1. Le’Veon Bell, RB
2. Nick Foles, QB
3. Teddy Bridgewater, QB
4. Trent Brown, OT
5. Landon Collins, S
6. Trey Flowers, DE
7. Kwon Alexander, LB
8. Earl Thomas, S
9. Tyrann Mathieu, S
10. Tyrell Williams, WR
11. Matt Paradis, C
12. Sheldon Richardson, DT
13. Tyrod Taylor, QB
14. Ezekiel Ansah, DE
15. Anthony Barr, LB

MOST LIKELY TO BREAK THE BANK
Landon Collins, S—2018 team: Giants | Age: 25
There are a ton of veteran safeties on the market, but Collins is the youngest, and age is a key data point in free-agent negotiations. And while he might not have elite one-on-one coverage skills, he has plenty of other playmaking attributes that have propelled him to three Pro Bowl nods. — Seifert

Trey Flowers, DE—2018 team: Patriots | Age: 26
Is Flowers one of the NFL’s top pass-rushers? Probably not. But is he the best on the market? Quite possibly. Teams always pay for that … and teams always need reliable pass-rushers. — Seifert

Tyrell Williams, WR—2018 team: Chargers | Age: 27
Since the start of the 2016 season, Williams has averaged more yards per reception (15.9) than all but six pass-catchers in the NFL (minimum 43 catches). He might be the best big deep threat available. — Seifert

Trent Brown, OT—2018 team: Patriots | Age: 26
You rarely find an available free agent capable of playing left tackle at a relatively high level. It isn’t any easier in the draft. Brown demonstrated he could do that last season for the Patriots. — Seifert

Le’Veon Bell, RB—2018 team: Steelers | Age: 27
Bell held out all of last season to put himself in a position to get a precedent-setting contract that reflects his unique pass-catching skills. Even if he falls short, however, the expectation is that he will sign a deal that puts him in the upper echelon of running backs. — Seifert

POTENTIAL VALUE SIGNINGS
Bryce Callahan, CB—2018 team: Bears | Age: 27
Slot cornerbacks are valuable to a defense, and Callahan was one of the NFL’s best last season. According to Pro Football Focus, opposing quarterbacks had a 78.9 passer rating when targeting Callahan in 2018, among the five lowest in the league. — Seifert

Ronald Darby, CB—2018 team: Eagles | Age: 25
A torn ACL in November will drive down his price. But assuming he recovers fully, Darby can be a pretty decent cover corner and playmaker. — Seifert

Mitch Morse, C—2018 team: Chiefs | Age: 27
Injuries, most notably a concussion that cost him six games last season, will chip away Morse’s price. Still, teams looking to elevate their offensive line can get a bigger bang for their buck by trying to upgrade at center than, say, left tackle. — Seifert

Bashaud Breeland, CB—2018 team: Packers | Age: 27
Last year at this time, Breeland was considered among the top cornerbacks on the market. A failed physical with the Panthers set him back and could continue to limit his price. If so, someone will get a good player at a key position without overstepping. — Seifert

Jamison Crowder, WR—2018 team: Washington | Age: 26
A series of poorly timed injuries scuttled his contract year. With the number of creative offensive minds around the league, someone will find a way to maximize his considerable playmaking skills. — Seifert

MOST LIKELY TO GET ONE-YEAR ‘PROVE-IT’ DEALS
Teddy Bridgewater, QB—2018 team: Saints | Age: 26
With Joe Flacco headed to Denver and Nick Foles expected to land in Jacksonville, there just aren’t a lot of landing spots for Bridgewater. He might have to go back to New Orleans, back up Drew Brees for another season and try again in 2020. — Graziano

Ezekiel Ansah, DE—2018 team: Lions | Age: 30
Coming off a franchise-player season in which he missed nine games and collected just four sacks, Ansah will turn 30 next month and find it difficult to convince a team to invest in him long term. — Graziano

Dante Fowler Jr., OLB/DE—2018 team: Jaguars/Rams | Age: 25
Fowler doesn’t turn 25 until August, so he’s in a different boat than Ansah. His issue is that he hasn’t proved anything yet. The No. 3 pick in the 2015 draft missed his first season due to injury and has 16 total sacks in the three seasons since. — Graziano

Devin Funchess, WR—2018 team: Panthers | Age: 25
He had a chance to become Carolina’s No. 1 receiver when the team traded Kelvin Benjamin in 2017, but he couldn’t sustain enough production and has since been surpassed by more recent draft picks. There’s still upside here. — Graziano

Ndamukong Suh, DT—2018 team: Rams | Age: 32
He just pocketed $15 million for one season with the Rams and likely moves on. It’s not hard to imagine the still-productive Suh year-to-yearing it through the final portion of his career the way Darrelle Revis did and pocketing a boatload of money in the process. — Graziano

MOST LIKELY TO GET OVERPAID
Trent Brown, OT—2018 team: Patriots | Age: 26
Brown was seen as a top right tackle when he was with San Francisco. The Patriots traded for him, moved him to left tackle and won a Super Bowl. Now he’ll get paid as a left tackle. But is he, really? — Graziano

Trey Flowers, DE—2018 team: Patriots | Age: 26
The beneficiary of all those teams franchising all those edge rushers. Flowers is the cream of the remaining crop and could clear $17 million a year on his next deal. The Patriots’ former defensive coordinator is coaching the pass-rush-starved Lions — just sayin’. — Graziano

Tyrell Williams, WR—2018 team: Chargers | Age: 27
Went over Williams earlier, but he’s all potential right now. Someone is going to sign him to be their No. 1 receiver, which means he’ll get more than his production to date warrants. Will he live up to it? — Graziano

Matt Paradis, C—2018 team: Broncos | Age: 29
Coming off an injury, but he’s far and away the top center available. Any team with a need at the position will be interested, which will drive up his price. — Graziano

Ja’Wuan James, OT—2018 team: Dolphins | Age: 27
James might be only a right tackle, but it’s a tackle-starved market and not a great draft for the position. James should clear eight figures on average in his next deal. — Graziano

I'd like to see Foreman do well, but until he does he's still a bust and a waste of a draft pick.
Hindsight is 20/20/. What did you think of the pick when he was busting a long TD run immediately before the Achilles injury? Foreman may never be a contributing factor again, but I wouldn't say he's a wasted draft pick. I would say it's an unfortunate chain of events and just bad luck.

I mean the Achilles is all explosion. So the jump cutting, which is purely change of direction, is a very very good sign that his Achilles is in really good shape. He has to use a lot of force and he’s putting 90% of his weight down on that plant leg to explode out of the cut. Not sure if we’re talking about the same video, but there was one of him hurdling trash cans (lol) and he came down fine on it. I think he should be good to go, he still has more time to build up everything around it.
Rookies….:chef:

Back