Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

New contracts

How many RB's get traded?

Hyde got traded for a 5th, who else has gotten traded?

You want to trade Miller for a 4th or 5th? I dont.

As far as Bell goes you already know my thoughts, the $$$$ could be better spent fixing the OL/CB positions.

yeah if legitimate options are there

This is the exact reason the Texans should keep Fuller

The draft is fairly deep with WR's and if I could get a RD4 for Fuller I would do it, simply b/c he's failed to deliver a full season of production, so what good is that? He's going to become a FA in 2020. If he's down with an injury once again in 2019, might as well cut him versus re-signing him b/c the Texans wouldn't even get a RD7 for him at the end of 2019. There best chance at getting a return, try to trade him this season b/c there's always a team willing to roll the dice.

There are.

Claiborne is a guy I would look at

D. Smith is another guy.

I also would look for an impact WR and a guy like Ingram who could be had for a fraction of the price Bell would cost and would be a perfect compliment to Miller.

Of course... perhaps the $1 corner in the NFL who wouldn't take a look?
And yeah Smith is a guy :rolleyes:
Impact Wr (yah name one) and what makes you think Ingram would want to come here unless you paid him like a Bell?

Of course... perhaps the $1 corner in the NFL who wouldn't take a look?
And yeah Smith is a guy :rolleyes:
Impact Wr (yah name one) and what makes you think Ingram would want to come here unless you paid him like a Bell?

1. They have the cap room to make a play for the number one CB
2. Same goes for Smith.
3. I haven't looked at fa WR'S yet
4 I don't think Ingram is going to get paid like a RB1. Certainly not like Bell is going to get paid. I could be wrong and I hope Ingram gets a really good pay day. At his age this is probably his last chance at a big contract. He's a really good all around RB

It looks like Foreman may need more time before he's up to speed in the running game. He didn't look very good at all today running the ball. Of course I'm not sure how much of what we've been seeing the last few weeks with the running game is on the O-line. They just don't seem to be opening up the holes they were before. How much is coaching/scheme and how much is the lack of talent (both OL and RB) I'm not sure, but they better get it fixed in a hurry if they want to go very far in the playoffs.

Well, that’s on the offensive side of the ball. What about the defense?

You do realize this is the INJURY THREAD. There are plenty of other more appropriate thread were this same conversation is taking place. Not picking on you necessarily, Baboy, and I have been guilty too. It is easy to reply to a comment and not notice the thread your are in. Let's police this up and keep this thread clean for Doc.
yeah we all get this but most do not realize necessarily what thread they are in just respond to our posts that are quoted as you say. I will slow down but ain't promising nothing--lol. Passion runs high during and after games.

Bell has already been suspended once for smoking pot, which means that that he's gotten caught once before he was suspended and the next time he caught that equals a one yr suspension.
uh-- in 2014 he was suspended 3 days for pot smoking (boarding an airplane). He also admitted to missing tests for pot but received no disciplinary action. NOTHING since and I can find nothing saying he is a concern on this. You really need to bring something more recent or stop :deadhorse over an insignificant pot issue four years ago.

uh-- in 2014 he was suspended 3 days for pot smoking (boarding an airplane). He also admitted to missing tests for pot but received no disciplinary action. NOTHING since and I can find nothing saying he is a concern on this. You really need to bring something more recent or stop :deadhorse over an insignificant pot issue four years ago.

3 games and istand by my post.

Kirwan said this along time ago and he knows more about the drug testing program than we do. Not as much as CnD does. I would like to have him weigh in on this.

Yes, but I would not push luck and extend him to any longer than 1 year terms (franchise or otherwise)........or better yet hope that someone with blinders to the realistic future wants to play Russian roulette and gives us a good trade.
This is easy. Tag him and see what happens. Entertain every "tag and trade" option. Shop him around. Do anything and everything but cut him or give him a long term, big money contract.

Today Paul Bretl of Fansided lists Clowney as a high priority target for Green Bay noting Clowney wants huge deal. Points out JD missed 4 games since 2016.

Sifting through some of the Spotrac salary stuff and i found it interesting how the Texans had distributed their money this year, in particular the two most maligned units .. the offensive line and the secondary. The Texans have committed more than 50% of the cap towards the defensive side of the ball ranking them 2nd in the NFL in that respect. Doesnt seem so odd considering that side of the ball seems to have more playmakers and are a more efficient and highly ranked unit. What I found odd was that the Texans spent the MOST money in the league on their secondary!

Not so surprising that they are at the bottom in terms of offensive line spending ranking 28th in the league.

So the argument that the Texans havent invested in the offensive line thus the poor showing doesnt exactly apply to the secondary since the Texans spent the most cap space in the league on that unit. Why could that be?

Seems like just throwing picks and money at a problem area will not be enough if the coaching is substandard on the team and the GM isnt able to identify the free agent acquisitions, for example Aaron Colvin was paid 7.75Ms this year or about 4.14% of the cap ... does anyone feel like the team 'got their moneys worth'?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/positional/2018/full-cap/

Sifting through some of the Spotrac salary stuff and i found it interesting how the Texans had distributed their money this year, in particular the two most maligned units .. the offensive line and the secondary. The Texans have committed more than 50% of the cap towards the defensive side of the ball ranking them 2nd in the NFL in that respect. Doesnt seem so odd considering that side of the ball seems to have more playmakers and are a more efficient and highly ranked unit. What I found odd was that the Texans spent the MOST money in the league on their secondary!

Not so surprising that they are at the bottom in terms of offensive line spending ranking 28th in the league.

So the argument that the Texans havent invested in the offensive line thus the poor showing doesnt exactly apply to the secondary since the Texans spent the most cap space in the league on that unit. Why could that be?

Seems like just throwing picks and money at a problem area will not be enough if the coaching is substandard on the team and the GM isnt able to identify the free agent acquisitions, for example Aaron Colvin was paid 7.75Ms this year or about 4.14% of the cap ... does anyone feel like the team 'got their moneys worth'?

Concerning the secondary - we have several older vets which generally equates to more money. The injury to Colvin didn't help. Not sure how he would have settled into the secondary if he stayed healthy, but from the limited sample size, he looks like a possible miss. We improved the safety position, but injuries and lack of depth at CB really hurt us. It would be nice to add a stud CB in the draft and add a quality veteran CB in FA which would do a lot to fix the secondary heading into next year.

Concerning the secondary - we have several older vets which generally equates to more money.

Generally yes, but not in our particular case. JJo is $4.5 mil in 2019. KJax is a bit of a mystery. He will be 31 before training camp and primarily moved to safety, a cheaper position, but he's coming off career highs in passes defensed, tackles & TFL plus 2 FF. Wild stab, hopefully we can sign him for about $8 mil/yr on a 2-3 year deal

Agreed

Gaine has to do better than Colvin in FA.

Colvin was an avg corner but in his prime years coming off decent 2017 and we over paid which is not unusual in free agency. He only played 30 % snaps this season due to injury and his 2019 cap is $8.75 m. Hopefully he will works his way back (psychological as I posted elsewhere) this off season & be good enough to earn his pay. He will be upside down 2019 but if needed can cut him after that or maybe trade if he has an avg season for a corner who like LTs get huge deals for so so play. Was a high risk/high reward choice but let's pause before crushing him.

Today Paul Bretl of Fansided lists Clowney as a high priority target for Green Bay noting Clowney wants huge deal. Points out JD missed 4 games since 2016.

too bad JDC has EXACTLY 93 days before his knee self destructs .. well according to some. :kitten:

too bad JDC has EXACTLY 93 days before his knee self destructs .. well according to some. :kitten:
maybe and the question of his health is only thing that would put him on market. Only a fool would disregard his or Watt's health and there should be (and probably are) plans for both these players. As I've posted before Texans are in driver seat with JD as they control him for at least two more seasons with tags which would be enticing for a buyer along with his missing so few games while being nominated pro bowler three consecutive seasons.

I think Clowney for Green Bay's 1b (Saints) and 3rd (76) and 4b (Washington) is his value but that could go up as playoffs continue and his productivity.

If we could sign Desean Fuller when Tampa releases, I'd offer Will Fuller to Packers for round 2.44 and their 6th.

Fuller and Clowney would resolve two of Green Bay's priority needs and they would still have 1.12. I would trade completely out of round one getting an amazing haul including some sweet 2020 selections. Part of that trade would get me back into round two for a guard and a starting safety.

maybe and the question of his health is only thing that would put him on market. Only a fool would disregard his or Watt's health and there should be (and probably are) plans for both these players. As I've posted before Texans are in driver seat with JD as they control him for at least two more seasons with tags which would be enticing for a buyer along with his missing so few games while being nominated pro bowler three consecutive seasons.

I think Clowney for Green Bay's 1b (Saints) and 3rd (76) and 4b (Washington) is his value but that could go up as playoffs continue and his productivity.

If we could sign Desean Fuller when Tampa releases, I'd offer Will Fuller to Packers for round 2.44 and their 6th.

Fuller and Clowney would resolve two of Green Bay's priority needs and they would still have 1.12. I would trade completely out of round one getting an amazing haul including some sweet 2020 selections. Part of that trade would get me back into round two for a guard and a starting safety.

We're on the same highway.

Dv7xL_OWsAEGKWM.jpg

Jackson finished 4th among CBs.

Field Yates ESPN Insider reports Texans paid JD bonus of $1.005 million to settle dispute of what position Clowney should have been paid at for 2018. He was paid at OLB rather than the DE he said. Increase was from $12.306 to $13.31 m. So, standing up or 3 point stance he is paid as an End.

Field Yates ESPN Insider reports Texans paid JD bonus of $1.005 million to settle dispute of what position Clowney should have been paid at for 2018. He was paid at OLB rather than the DE he said. Increase was from $12.306 to $13.31 m. So, standing up or 3 point stance he is paid as an End.

No, he is paid as a mix.

Now that does mean the franchise tag is more expensive @ a 20% increase, $15.97. Still a savings over DE which was $17.1 in 2018.

Need to correct misconceptions I had on free agent tags. 1) I thought club had right to franchise tag a player two years. This is wrong. Per CBA Article 10 originating club may tag three times with 3rd being a franchise or transition tag. Difference seems to be in math determining pay. This impacts Bell 2) I thought a club could transfer these tags in a trade. This is wrong. This applies to Clowney posts I've made.

Henderson contract better than I hoped. 1 million base and .5 roster bonus day 3 with per game bonus if on roster. NOT guaranteed for injury and that's huge for team.

Henderson contract better than I hoped. 1 million base and .5 roster bonus day 3 with per game bonus if on roster. NOT guaranteed for injury and that's huge for team.
Breaking down Texans tackle Seantrel Henderson's $4.5 million deal
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Jan. 24, 2019

Texans offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson's $4.5 million contract provides plenty of protection in case the veteran blocker isn't healthy.

Henderson is due a $1.5 million base salary, but just $1 million is guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap. The injury guarantee doesn't apply to preexisting injuries.

Henderson spent all but one game last season on injured reserve with a broken ankle.

Henderson is due a $500,000 roster bonus on the third day of the league year.

He's due a $500,000 roster bonus if he's on the 46-man roster bonus for 12 or more games.

He's due an additional $2 million roster bonus to be paid out $125,000 per game that he's on the 46-man roster bonus.

Dolphins RT Ju'Wuan James saying good chance he will return to team as HC Case was terminated. James didn't feel offense had an identity under coach.

Very interesting article from Anthony Wood of texanswire.usatoday..com Jalen Ramsey being "wooed" by Hopkins. We've seen type stuff before but this was intriguing. Ramsey 24 YOA in his 4th season with Jags is considered a premiere corner and 6'1 209. He and Hopkins have been tweeting along with Watson each others praises. Ramsey's comments directed at other NFL players are well known. Per OTC.com 2019 Jags $1.5m in negative cap space with only $16.5 m in 2020. Of course if Bortles is gone as many are suggesting, it will clear only $5 m June 1st and the $18 m in 2020 would seem to pay for Ramsey but---

Texans have cap but what costs would it take? Lamar Miller is mentioned as a possible trade component clearing $7 m. Talk is that Jags may be trading Fournette for NicK Foles ($21m cap?). TJ Yeldon is UFA and not productive & been part of a weird rotation with Carlos Hyde also non productive and maybe gone as a $4.7 m savings. Would Miller and our #23 get Ramsey? I say no but Jacksonville may need to move him. Would both teams do that? This would also allow KJack to leave.
Seems unlikely but possible. Jags need to change a lot but other cap can be found by cutting guys like RT Parnell & safety Barry Church. Thoughts?
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/texans-deandre-hopkins-recruiting-jaguars-jalen-ramsey/

Very interesting article from Anthony Wood of texanswire.usatoday..com Jalen Ramsey being "wooed" by Hopkins. We've seen type stuff before but this was intriguing. Ramsey 24 YOA in his 4th season with Jags is considered a premiere corner and 6'1 209. He and Hopkins have been tweeting along with Watson each others praises. Ramsey's comments directed at other NFL players are well known. Per OTC.com 2019 Jags $1.5m in negative cap space with only $16.5 m in 2020. Of course if Bortles is gone as many are suggesting, it will clear only $5 m June 1st and the $18 m in 2020 would seem to pay for Ramsey but---

Texans have cap but what costs would it take? Lamar Miller is mentioned as a possible trade component clearing $7 m. Talk is that Jags may be trading Fournette for NicK Foles ($21m cap?). TJ Yeldon is UFA and not productive & been part of a weird rotation with Carlos Hyde also non productive and maybe gone as a $4.7 m savings. Would Miller and our #23 get Ramsey? I say no but Jacksonville may need to move him. Would both teams do that? This would also allow KJack to leave.
Seems unlikely but possible. Jags need to change a lot but other cap can be found by cutting guys like RT Parnell & safety Barry Church. Thoughts?
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/texans-deandre-hopkins-recruiting-jaguars-jalen-ramsey/

I could see landing Ramsey as being a strong move which hinges on the Jags thinking a RD1-23 and Miller is enough. I would try to include Fuller with a RD4 in return.

Texans Get:
CB- Ramsey
RD4-07-102

Jaguars Get:
RB- Miller
WR- Fuller
RD1-23-023

I could see landing Ramsey as being a strong move which hinges on the Jags thinking a RD1-23 and Miller is enough. I would try to include Fuller with a RD4 in return.

Texans Get:
CB- Ramsey
RD4-07-102

Jaguars Get:
RB- Miller
WR- Fuller
RD1-23-023

Think you are under valuing Fuller. First I'm not sure I'd trade him, yeah he has an injury history but when he is on the field teams have to change how they plan for us, he automatically helps Nuk get open just because defenses can't ignore him like they do many of our other players on offense, like you know the entire O line. Second, if I did trade him I think you could get a third or maybe even second with the right trade partner, you can't coach speed and his kind of speed is rare. Add in that he actually has a decent catch rate and you have a dangerous weapon when he is on the field.

Think you are under valuing Fuller. First I'm not sure I'd trade him, yeah he has an injury history but when he is on the field teams have to change how they plan for us, he automatically helps Nuk get open just because defenses can't ignore him like they do many of our other players on offense, like you know the entire O line. Second, if I did trade him I think you could get a third or maybe even second with the right trade partner, you can't coach speed and his kind of speed is rare. Add in that he actually has a decent catch rate and you have a dangerous weapon when he is on the field.

I'd be watching both Deebo Sweeney and Riley Ridley as replacements. Both of these guys are just as fast, Deebo is a sick route runner and Ridley has a lot of untapped upside. These guys arrive healthy and ready to play. Either would be a nice replacement for Fuller.

Texans Get:
CB- Ramsey
RD4-07-102

Jaguars Get:
RB- Miller
WR- Fuller
RD1-23-023

Why would the Jags do this trade? It provides them no cap relief which is what they need the most. Fournette and Coughlin talked out whatever their issue was together, and they still have Hyde under contract so why do they need to add a 3 RB at a high cap hit? Fuller's value is probably not very high at this point in his career, because while he is talented the best ability is availability which he does not have.

It would most definitely take multiple 1sts that the Jags would believe would be fairly high up in the first round, and they would absolutely make the Texans over pay to get the to trade him in division

I'd be watching both Deebo Sweeney and Riley Ridley as replacements. Both of these guys are just as fast, Deebo is a sick route runner and Ridley has a lot of untapped upside. These guys arrive healthy and ready to play. Either would be a nice replacement for Fuller.

Fuller is a low 4.3 guy, Ridley/Samuel who I really like are high 4.4/4.5 guys. Really good potential but not the type of guys that take the top off of a defense.

Why would the Jags do this trade? It provides them no cap relief which is what they need the most. Fournette and Coughlin talked out whatever their issue was together, and they still have Hyde under contract so why do they need to add a 3 RB at a high cap hit? Fuller's value is probably not very high at this point in his career, because while he is talented the best ability is availability which he does not have.

It would most definitely take multiple 1sts that the Jags would believe would be fairly high up in the first round, and they would absolutely make the Texans over pay to get the to trade him in division

Would you be willing to give up a 1st and a 2nd this yr and a 2020 2nd to get Ramsey? I dont think I would but I would definitely consider it.

Would you be willing to give up a 1st and a 2nd this yr and a 2020 2nd to get Ramsey? I dont think I would but I would definitely consider it.

I would, but I don't think the Jags would even do that trade.

I also think very highly of Ramsey, I think Ramsey is going to be a top 5 shut down corner for the better part of the next decade. I believe the kid has HOF potential, I was super high on him coming out of the draft as well and was pissed the Cowboys passed on him because I knew the Jags were tripping over themselves to turn in that card.

I would, but I don't think the Jags would even do that trade.

I also think very highly of Ramsey, I think Ramsey is going to be a top 5 shut down corner for the better part of the next decade. I believe the kid has HOF potential, I was super high on him coming out of the draft as well and was pissed the Cowboys passed on him because I knew the Jags were tripping over themselves to turn in that card.

Agreed, plus the fact that the Jags will never teadt Ramsey within the division.

As of today, would you rather have Zeke or Ramsey on the Cowboys?

Agreed, plus the fact that the Jags will never teadt Ramsey within the division.

Ramsey, we would only have to see him once every 4 years oppose to twice a year.

But I guess the real question is then who would I rather the Jaguars have currently, Ramsey or Zeke and to me it's Zeke hands down. I think highly of Zeke as well, but I think the rest of the Jags offense makes it easy to game plan for Zeke.

Fuller is a low 4.3 guy, Ridley/Samuel who I really like are high 4.4/4.5 guys. Really good potential but not the type of guys that take the top off of a defense.

My concern, Fuller's injuries might take a toll on his healthy speed. Just a slip in his time and he's similar to Deebo. I expect Ridley to pop a solid to very nice 4.4-40 at the Combine.

My concern, Fuller's injuries might take a toll on his healthy speed. Just a slip in his time and he's similar to Deebo. I expect Ridley to pop a solid to very nice 4.4-40 at the Combine.

What I would, ideally, like to see is where Fuller just has to basically sprint to keep defensives honest and present that constant deep threat and throw to him if he has basically dusted whoever was covering him. Then you have a more short-mid range guy, perhaps Coutee or someone like that, as another constant target. Nuk as that always dangerous target that Watson can go to when in doubt and then if we could actually use our TEs for something other then blocking you could have possibly up to 5 guys on any one play that can be targeted and be real threats. That's very hard for defenses to deal with when you also have a QB that could take off running any moment. Add in a decent RB or two to give Watson a break from throwing and Bobs your uncle you have a high scoring offense with long term sustainability.

Yes, yes I know this is the ideal scenario and I don't expect to hit it this off season but if you could have a case where Fuller can just run at a fairly easy slope a few plays it would lengthen his health I think. Then you aren't wasting all the years spent on him or the capital it would take to get a new version of him in the draft and then coaching that guy. Jags aren't going to do anything they might think could possibly help us and nether are the Colts or Titans. All three teams are tired of being bride maids in the division and they smell blood in the water so any trade that involves them might as well be written off.

I'm still hoping to use a large portion of the draft to shore up the protection on Watson, unless the football gods decide to have a laugh and a must get player drops to us, so I am very hesitant about trading to much. If we got say two more second rounds for our first then yeah maybe but really for me this draft is about quantity almost as much as quality when it comes to the line because we know the current group sucks. Long term Watson can't keep taking 60+ sacks a season so we have got to stop the bleeding even if means making what we have at WR and RB work for another season.

Fuller might have value as a decoy as long as we never throw to him unless he is by himself behind the defense. That way he doesn't get hurt. He will never stay healthy in normal circumstances.

Texans Get:
CB- Ramsey
RD4-07-102

Jaguars Get:
RB- Miller
WR- Fuller
RD1-23-023
Jalen Ramsey is only 24 and and he is arguably the most talented and valuable D-back in the entire NFL.
Yes I would make that deal but don' think it's rich enough for the Jags and as SteelB points out in this thread they'd be very reluctant to move such an elite talent in
an intradivisional trade.

The answers are in the article. Tourette traded and Hyde cut. No other RBs so Miller.

As I posted I agree but if pressured they might..they have to pay the DT + if they get Foles they won't have future $ to keep Ramsey. Article gist was get more now for him. Another article I didn't link said Jags said would not trade Ramsey but would be foolish not to listen.

Back