Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My Tyrod Taylor observation…

Mangler

Toro de España
I was at the game today, and was watching everything he did like a hawk. I went in with super low expectations, but I left the stadium pleasantly surprised. Tyrod’s QB IQ seems pretty damn good! He threw the ball away when he had to, didn’t lock in on any one receiver, he spread the ball around, scrambled for the first down when he had the opportunity.

There were only two plays that I can say were bad. One was during the first drive when he threw it to Cooks, and the ball bounced off the defenders hands. Should have been a pick, as the throw was off and maybe shouldn’t have been forced there but we caught a break. The other one was when he threw it to Collins in the end zone with Phillip Lindsay wide open on the left side of the end zone. Tyrod didnt even see Lindsay.

What I liked the most was that Tyrod didn’t hold on to the ball for too long, which would have made his offensive line look bad, threw the ball away instead of taking a big sack, and seemed to actually sit in the pocket looking at the entire field vs locking in on any one receiver, and he just made overall good decisions.

I’m rooting for him. I hope he can hold it down while we search for our franchise QB because he seems like a damn good game manager that won’t cost us a bunch of games trying to play hero ball, fishing for them highlight reel plays.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Sometimes a QB can grow into the system he's in, maybe Taylor can do that. It's to early to tell, but I was pleasantly surprised by his play as well. I didn't expect that much from him. We need to see how the Texans play against a much better Cleveland team next week before we go getting to excited.

Mangler

Toro de España
Our offense has talent, so Tyrod can just relax and make the easy throws. He did his job well.

We won't know what he is made of until we play a good team and he needs to step up in crunch time.
Then, we shall find out next week. The Browns were in a dog fight against the Chiefs today, and almost came out with the W. They also did it in a very hostile environment. Not expecting us to get the W because the Browns seem to be on another level. One thing’s for sure though…our boys will be tested in every phase. Still rooting fir Tyrod, and hope we somehow find a way to pull out the win.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Taylor played well today. Many of his throws were high and might be an issue against better defenses. A couple of times, when he released the ball, I swear it would sail on him. However, it might be his throwing motion/release and something I have to get use to seeing.

With that said. It was good enough to win today and I'll gladly take it.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Taylor played well today. Many of his throws were high and might be an issue against better defenses. A couple of times, when he released the ball, I swear it would sail on him. However, it might be his throwing motion/release and something I have to get use to seeing.

With that said. It was good enough to win today and I'll gladly take it.
He throws a lot of low balls also, between the waist and knees and the receiver has to reach down for the catch. Amendola's TD was an awkward catch.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then, we shall find out next week. The Browns were in a dog fight against the Chiefs today, and almost came out with the W. They also did it in a very hostile environment. Not expecting us to get the W because the Browns seem to be on another level. One thing’s for sure though…our boys will be tested in every phase. Still rooting fir Tyrod, and hope we somehow find a way to pull out the win.
I'm happy to have Tyrod as a bridge QB.

He can be a great mentor for young QB's to lean on. He's seen it all.

Mangler

Toro de España
I'm happy to have Tyrod as a bridge QB.

He can be a great mentor for young QB's to lean on. He's seen it all.
I’m with you on both those things! I feel good about drafting a QB and letting him learn from Tyrod. He’s a good game manager who’s not usually the reason for his team losing games. I’d even be ok if Caserio upgraded the offensive line, and the secondary over the next couple of years while keeping Tyrod here, then pulling the trigger on a QB after that.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I’m with you on both those things! I feel good about drafting a QB and letting him learn from Tyrod. He’s a good game manager who’s not usually the reason for his team losing games. I’d even be ok if Caserio upgraded the offensive line, and the secondary over the next couple of years while keeping Tyrod here, then pulling the trigger on a QB after that.
They're not drafting a young qb in my opinion. Their future qb is in SF. They will use their draft picks and what they get from the Watson trade to build the team up. Jimmy G will be a $30m qb vs a 40- 45m qb. They will try this until they see Jimmy G is just a good qb, not a great qb. Just my opinion

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
They're not drafting a young qb in my opinion. Their future qb is in SF. They will use their draft picks and what they get from the Watson trade to build the team up. Jimmy G will be a $30m qb vs a 40- 45m qb. They will try this until they see Jimmy G is just a good qb, not a great qb. Just my opinion
Agreed.

I'd like to know your opinion: What skill or ability is Tyrod Taylor lacking that has kept him from being a franchise QB?

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Five or six years ago, during one of those wasted seasons when we were relying on Hoyer, I was in a bar on Bourbon Street watching the NFL games on the Sunday Ticket. I told the table of Bills fans next to me that I'd rather have Taylor than Hoyer, and they said "That's funny because we'd rather have Hoyer than Taylor." I told them they were cray as I went back to my Bloody Mary. It made me question why Taylor didn't get more respect. His instincts are great and he throws well. He's not Drew Brees but he's a tier above the best journeyman QB's.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Five or six years ago, during one of those wasted seasons when we were relying on Hoyer, I was in a bar on Bourbon Street watching the NFL games on the Sunday Ticket. I told the table of Bills fans next to me that I'd rather have Taylor than Hoyer, and they said "That's funny because we'd rather have Hoyer than Taylor." I told them they were cray as I went back to my Bloody Mary. It made me question why Taylor didn't get more respect. His instincts are great and he throws well. He's not Drew Brees but he's a tier above the best journeyman QB's.
To me Taylor is like Fitz. Both flash talent and have great games but are super inconsistent. They won’t carry you for a season and can make bad plays at bad times. But if surrounded with good players they will allow you to compete.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Agreed.

I'd like to know your opinion: What skill or ability is Tyrod Taylor lacking that has kept him from being a franchise QB?
If you don't mind me chiming in, I think he lacks the kinds of things that hold any prospect from becoming a legit franchise/elite QB - wow traits.

Everything he has in his toolbox ranges from something like a C to a B+. Arm strength, accuracy, processing, anticipation, composure, mobility, etc. This isn't to sh*t on him either, he's largely a nice to good QB, who can also drop into mediocre to not so good territory.

I personally like Taylor and have for some time. He's got the skillset to perform well enough to win at a good clip in the right system and with the right pieces around him. He's a pros pro who also hasn't always had the best breaks. Last year's was terrible.

I hope he does well for as long as he's here and continues to give an air of calm and poise to the locker room as a stable vet QB.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I thought Taylor did an outstanding job of running the offense. He knew exactly where he was going with the ball and was dictating to the defense. What turned a solid performance into a wow game was his ability to break contain and make big plays. The Texans could have won without them. But in the future, that's going to be a big key for this team.

I haven't looked it up. But, this was likely Taylor's best game as a pro. Kudos to him, his teammates, and the coaching staff.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Taylor has always struck me as a Foles or Flacco type QB in that he's not going to win you many games but he's not going to lose many either and if you put a good team around him, and a little luck, he could make it to a SB. Now I don't know that the Texans have the time or ability to put that good team around him but hey at least it wasn't as bad as we feared and the team and Taylor at least looked like an NFL team if not a good one.

Mangler

Toro de España
I thought Taylor did an outstanding job of running the offense. He knew exactly where he was going with the ball and was dictating to the defense. What turned a solid performance into a wow game was his ability to break contain and make big plays. The Texans could have won without them. But in the future, that's going to be a big key for this team.

I haven't looked it up. But, this was likely Taylor's best game as a pro. Kudos to him, his teammates, and the coaching staff.
Pep Hamilton is the truth!

Dejaview

All Pro
Cleveland seems to play a lot like what the Texans are aiming at, good run game and aggressive defense. Thought their run game was that good or KC’s run D was that bad? Anyway my only hope is to see some things cleaned up for this game and for us to continue to put the past in the rear view mirror And to stay healthy enough to keep the ship turning. Win will be a miracle but the play styles should be a helpful learning experience.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So you are calling it huh, Caserio is gonna make a move on the paisano in Frisco ?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Depends on how you want to look at it. He's thrown for more yards, TDs, and had a higher passer rating in a game, but it was a game he lost.

This was definitely one of his top 3 games as a pro.

I hope he calms down and gets more comfortable in the system and with the receivers. He had at least one that should have been picked that I remember, and I think that would have changed the course of the game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agreed, except after their team is more than likely to look for their next QB in 203 or 2024 after they rebuild the team. I'm on board with this. You could do worse than have a former SB QB as a bridge QB until you find your next QB of the future.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
2021 Game 1...Taylor gave the Texans a performance that could keep him a Texan for the 2022 season as well. This is all the team could hope for in being able to properly develop RD3 QB, Davis Mills. If Taylor could carry the torch for 2 seasons the Texans 2022 draft could focus on loading other positions besides QB. Mills would get enough exposure over this and next season to start competing in 2022 for QB1. Having working knowledge here would allow Caserio and the Texans to be better prepared should they need to focus on a QB in 2023.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Agreed, except after their team is more than likely to look for their next QB in 203 or 2024 after they rebuild the team. I'm on board with this. You could do worse than have a former SB QB as a bridge QB until you find your next QB of the future.
You know what your team looks like without a top flight qb? The Raiders. Look at the draft capital they got for Cooper and Mack. Look where they are. You're not going to get a chance at a top talent unless you bottom out or move up like they did to get Watson and Mahomes. You see what 49ers did to move up to get Lance after they passed on Watson and Mahomes in 2017. Yeah, they went to the superbowl, but less than 2 years later, they go get lance

beerlover

Hall of Fame
That would be about right. 49ers would take the draft equity and run in the process fine tune their roster even more with money they save.

How many teams have the Texans enabled? Arizona looks damn good for one.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
That would be about right. 49ers would take the draft equity and run in the process fine tune their roster even more with money they save.

How many teams have the Texans enabled? Arizona looks damn good for one.
SF has made some poor decisions too… taking that DL instead of Mahomes or WD40 for one.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I loved Taylor spreading the ball around. 33 pass attempts and Cooks had the most targets with 7. But Taylor targeted 4 WRs, 2 TEs and 4 RBs. 10 different players received looks in 33 attempts.

That makes it hard for a defense to get a read on tendencies when the QB is not “locking in” on his favorite target and working each level of the field.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I loved Taylor spreading the ball around. 33 pass attempts and Cooks had the most targets with 7. But Taylor targeted 4 WRs, 2 TEs and 4 RBs. 10 different players received looks in 33 attempts.

That makes it hard for a defense to get a read on tendencies when the QB is not “locking in” on his favorite target and working each level of the field.
A big difference over what's been going on for the last 4 years.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Taylor played about how i thought he'd play, a guy who doesn't quite play to his how high his measureables say he can play to.... but he can be an effective game manager as long as he's protected decently. He won't get away with throwing up deep balls to Cooks in double coverage against better teams like he did against Jax tho. I want to see him get better working the pocket and being more decisive when he takes off to run.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Agreed.

They said it during the broadcast, he doesn't anticipate well..or consistently well enough. He's a guy that has to see it before he throws it & many times when you have multi-read pass plays that's too late b/c there are alot of throws in the NFL you have to anticipate &/or throw the ball before the window actually opens...or throw the WR open. If he had elite/upper tier arm strength he could maybe make up for this lack of anticipation a little with zip on his passes, but he doesn't have that either.

It has its pros in which case the biggest by far is that he doesn't throw many ints b/c again, if he doesn't see it he won't throw it. But the cons definitely outweigh the pros b/c when you get down in the red zone where things are happening faster, windows open & close super fast so he's limited to 1 read throws & quick hitting pass plays...like the end zone tosses to Nico.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They said it during the broadcast, he doesn't anticipate well..or consistently well enough. He's a guy that has to see it before he throws it & many times when you have multi-read pass plays that's too late b/c there are alot of throws in the NFL you have to anticipate &/or throw the ball before the window actually opens...
To me that’s always been about trust. I don’t know the answer, but had he ever played with the same bunch of guys to develop that kind of trust?

I remember how Matt Schaub would throw to AJ, or OD & think about the trust he has in them to put the ball where he did. Danny Anderson too.

But when he threw the ball to Jacoby he’d put that ball where only Jacoby could get it, or it was an incomplete.

I heard Archelleta say what you repeated & I thought, “how does he know?” It’s just his opinion & Tyrod threw some pretty good anticipation passes.

It’s a little different concept, but that one he laid up for Pharaoh Brown... that wasn’t a “have to see it” throw.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
To me that’s always been about trust. I don’t know the answer, but had he ever played with the same bunch of guys to develop that kind of trust?

I remember how Matt Schaub would throw to AJ, or OD & think about the trust he has in them to put the ball where he did. Danny Anderson too.

But when he threw the ball to Jacoby he’d put that ball where only Jacoby could get it, or it was an incomplete.

I heard Archelleta say what you repeated & I thought, “how does he know?” It’s just his opinion & Tyrod threw some pretty good anticipation passes.

It’s a little different concept, but that one he laid up for Pharaoh Brown... that wasn’t a “have to see it” throw.
I believe..I could be wrong but that throw to brown & a few other quick decision passes he made were against blitzes…& those are a little easier to see and pull the triggers on if you know or have a good idea where the blitz is coming from. This vs. passes where you have to sit back & “read out” against zones where noone is coming or a zone blitz where a guy is sliding underneath a slant/square in

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
..I could be wrong but that throw to brown & a few other quick decision passes he made were against blitzes…
It was definitely due to a blitz, but he looked like it was a surprise. He thought it would be picked up or something

76Texan

Hall of Fame
A big difference over what's been going on for the last 4 years.
QBs pass the ball to whomever that is open or is trusted to get open.

Hopkins' most ever targets with Watson was 163 in 2018.

In 2017, Savage targeted Hopkins quite a bit more than DW.

In 2019, it was 150.

Hopkins got 160 with the Cards.

151 with Osweiler and a whopping 192 with the combination of Hoyer/Mallett/Yates/Weeden.

Edelman got 150 in 2019 from Brady.
He got 159 targets in 2016

Here's a list of WRs with the most targets in a year.

Hopkins' most (163) with Watson did not make it.

Mangler

Toro de España
I believe..I could be wrong but that throw to brown & a few other quick decision passes he made were against blitzes…& those are a little easier to see and pull the triggers on if you know or have a good idea where the blitz is coming from. This vs. passes where you have to sit back & “read out” against zones where noone is coming or a zone blitz where a guy is sliding underneath a slant/square in
Something our last QB had a hard time with. Now, I’m not predicting a winning season, but I think we will be ok with Tyrod Taylor holding down the fort until Caserio is ready to go all in on our QB of the future. In the mean time, Nick Caserio should upgrade both the offensive and defensive line, and continue to build the team around the type of QB he envisions targeting.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
SF has made some poor decisions too… taking that DL instead of Mahomes or WD40 for one.

San Francisco will benefit this year from all the injuries last year. Make no mistake, this is a playoff team and Super Bowl contender. Haven’t been focusing on College QB prospects, until Deshaun blindsided Texans, but if there is one player who reminds me of Watson (on the field) it’s Trey Lance. Mobility, ability to extend plays, size strength ratio, throwing motion and reading what the defense gives him. Anybody would be doing them a huge favor taking Jimmy G. and his inflated contract off their hands and putting that system in Lance’s hands.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
It was definitely due to a blitz, but he looked like it was a surprise. He thought it would be picked up or something
Looks to me it was just a cleverly disguised backside blitz call by Jax…Josh Allen is the guy you as a qb want to know where he is at all times. He sets up front side I believe & protection slides that way…you can see this by how Tunsil washes down. In that situation, the free outside blitzer is Tyrod’s. So I don’t think he was surprised, probably just had a little extra hype in how he set up to throw it b/c he had to hold it a tick longer than he wanted and he was about to be hit.

he had to hold it a little longer than he wanted b/c Brown hadn’t cleared and wasn’t looking for the ball yet.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
San Francisco will benefit this year from all the injuries last year. Make no mistake, this is a playoff team and Super Bowl contender. Haven’t been focusing on College QB prospects, until Deshaun blindsided Texans, but if there is one player who reminds me of Watson (on the field) it’s Trey Lance. Mobility, ability to extend plays, size strength ratio, throwing motion and reading what the defense gives him. Anybody would be doing them a huge favor taking Jimmy G. and his inflated contract off their hands and putting that system in Lance’s hands.
depends on how you look at it and what you’re tymrying to do as an offense/qb. Sometimes a defense wants you to take the check down & they’ll blitz you to force your hand. they will let you have that.

Other times as a qb you don’t want to do that, you wanna hold the ball and work the pocket and hold it to hit something deeper b/c doing that might knock them out of there gameplan & force them to try something else.

it’s the difference in dictating vs. letting the defense dictate to you. Appropriate at times, but most times it’s not.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Also have to take into account Tyrod’s supporting cast when the unquestioned starter. The Bills had Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Charles Clay together mostly healthy in 2015 (Tyrod’s first season as starter). Those players along with Shady Mccoy were Tyrod’s top targets. Woods has since developed into a solid #1 WR but he was still a developing young player then and more of a solid #3 WR type. Charles Clay solid receiving TE and Sammy Watkins solid WR the one season he was relatively healthy (2015).

Then in 2016 Watkins plays 8 games so that average by NFL standards receiving group loses Watkins and gains Marquise Goodwin (downgrade).

Then in 2017 Watkins and Woods are now gone. Tyrod’s targets are now Clay, Mccoy, Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin (6 games).

Also went from having Greg Roman as OC in 2015-16 to Rick Dennison in 2017 along with Rex Ryan being fired as HC during 2016 season.

Short version of all that: His one opportunity to be a starting QB (2015-2017) the Bills didn’t invest heavily in a quality supporting cast and had coaching changes starting halfway through his second season as a starter.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
depends on how you look at it and what you’re tymrying to do as an offense/qb. Sometimes a defense wants you to take the check down & they’ll blitz you to force your hand. they will let you have that.

Other times as a qb you don’t want to do that, you wanna hold the ball and work the pocket and hold it to hit something deeper b/c doing that might knock them out of there gameplan & force them to try something else.

it’s the difference in dictating vs. letting the defense dictate to you. Appropriate at times, but most times it’s not.
Here is why this should be of special interest to Texan fans. Little Shanahan was the Texans best OC ever. He runs that same offense in San Fran. Offsets or disguises QB short comings with naked boots and the like. Imagine what that offense would look like here if Kubiak had Watson instead of Schwab?
They we’re in the Deshaun sweepstakes before all the negative press, then drilled down on the College QB’s, hence move for Lance. So as a longtime Texan fan it’s easy to see what they’re doing on offense understanding future plans and showcasing/shopping Jimmy Garoppolo to net them assets back in move up for Lance.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
QBs pass the ball to whomever that is open or is trusted to get open.

Hopkins' most ever targets with Watson was 163 in 2018.

In 2017, Savage targeted Hopkins quite a bit more than DW.

In 2019, it was 150.

Hopkins got 160 with the Cards.

151 with Osweiler and a whopping 192 with the combination of Hoyer/Mallett/Yates/Weeden.

Edelman got 150 in 2019 from Brady.
He got 159 targets in 2016

Here's a list of WRs with the most targets in a year.

Hopkins' most (163) with Watson did not make it.
Not sure that the point was DHop being targeted the most in the NFL as it was the obvious gap in targets between DHop and the next Texans receivers.

2019: DHop 150 (30% of total targets), Fuller 71, D. Johnson 62, Stills 55 (34% of total targets)

2018: DHop 163 (32% of total targets), Fuller 45, Griffin 43, Coutee 41 (25% of total targets)

2017: DHop 176 (33% of total targets), Anderson 55, Ellington 54, Fuller 50 (30% of total targets)

In Arizona last year he had 160 targets (27% of total) but Kirk had 79, Fitz had 72 and Edmonds had 67 (39% of total targets).

He had three teammates this Arizona last year with 65+ targets, but in his three years with Watson (and/or a playbook designed around Watson) he had exactly one teammate hit that mark.

Interestingly enough, in the two seasons after AJ left and before Watson came on board, he had five teammates (Washington, Shorts, Fuller, Fido and Griffin) that reached 75 targets or more in one of those seasons. Something clearly changed once Watson became the QB. We can call it the scheme or we can call it Watson's style of play, but I don't think it is about the passing game talent level in 2015-16 compared to 2017-19.

Side Note: y'all remember 2016 when they finally figured out how to use TE's in the passing game and got 115 catches, 1100 yards and 7 TD's out of them? Then promptly forgot the position the next year?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Not sure that the point was DHop being targeted the most in the NFL as it was the obvious gap in targets between DHop and the next Texans receivers.

2019: DHop 150 (30% of total targets), Fuller 71, D. Johnson 62, Stills 55 (34% of total targets)

2018: DHop 163 (32% of total targets), Fuller 45, Griffin 43, Coutee 41 (25% of total targets)

2017: DHop 176 (33% of total targets), Anderson 55, Ellington 54, Fuller 50 (30% of total targets)

In Arizona last year he had 160 targets (27% of total) but Kirk had 79, Fitz had 72 and Edmonds had 67 (39% of total targets).

He had three teammates this Arizona last year with 65+ targets, but in his three years with Watson (and/or a playbook designed around Watson) he had exactly one teammate hit that mark.

Interestingly enough, in the two seasons after AJ left and before Watson came on board, he had five teammates (Washington, Shorts, Fuller, Fido and Griffin) that reached 75 targets or more in one of those seasons. Something clearly changed once Watson became the QB. We can call it the scheme or we can call it Watson's style of play, but I don't think it is about the passing game talent level in 2015-16 compared to 2017-19.

Side Note: y'all remember 2016 when they finally figured out how to use TE's in the passing game and got 115 catches, 1100 yards and 7 TD's out of them? Then promptly forgot the position the next year?
The team had two things in 2016 they did not have in 2017.

Osweiller and a healthy Fiedo.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Đi

Did you look at 2014 to 2017?

14; it was pretty much just AJ and Hopkins and some opportunities for Foster to create after the catch.
The rest were just fillers.

In 2015, Hopkins had 192 targets, more than twice the next guy (94)
And then a bunch of fillers.

In 2016, Hopkins had 151, Fuller 92.
Though it was more balanced with the two TEs, but the backs didn't get much.

In 2017, like I said, Savage targeted Hopkins more than Watson did; it was pretty much Hopkins.
Partially because Fuller only played 10 games.

In 2018, Fuller only played 7 games, and not 100%; otherwise, I'm sure Hopkins wouldn't have 163.

In 2019, similarly, Fuller only played 11 games, and Hopkins got 150.

In 2020, Fuller also played just 11 games.
Cobb played 10.
Cooks got 119, Fuller 75.
The difference would have been closer had Fuller stayed healthy.

It was just the nature of the game.
Why Gronks got all those TD passes from Brady.
He's got maybe the most targets as a TE, when healthy.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Look at Marvin Harrison and Manning from 1999-2002.

It was just a two-man show, even more so than Watson-Hopkins, and for longer.