Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

My Tyrod Taylor observation…

Earl34

All Pro
Not sure that the point was DHop being targeted the most in the NFL as it was the obvious gap in targets between DHop and the next Texans receivers.

2019: DHop 150 (30% of total targets), Fuller 71, D. Johnson 62, Stills 55 (34% of total targets)

2018: DHop 163 (32% of total targets), Fuller 45, Griffin 43, Coutee 41 (25% of total targets)

2017: DHop 176 (33% of total targets), Anderson 55, Ellington 54, Fuller 50 (30% of total targets)

In Arizona last year he had 160 targets (27% of total) but Kirk had 79, Fitz had 72 and Edmonds had 67 (39% of total targets).

He had three teammates this Arizona last year with 65+ targets, but in his three years with Watson (and/or a playbook designed around Watson) he had exactly one teammate hit that mark.

Interestingly enough, in the two seasons after AJ left and before Watson came on board, he had five teammates (Washington, Shorts, Fuller, Fido and Griffin) that reached 75 targets or more in one of those seasons. Something clearly changed once Watson became the QB. We can call it the scheme or we can call it Watson's style of play, but I don't think it is about the passing game talent level in 2015-16 compared to 2017-19.

Side Note: y'all remember 2016 when they finally figured out how to use TE's in the passing game and got 115 catches, 1100 yards and 7 TD's out of them? Then promptly forgot the position the next year?
Good post. I wonder if the gap in targets between Hopkins and the next Texans WRs are due to Fuller missing 6, 9, and 5 games between 2017-2019. How many other games that he played in and was not 100%. We all saw how the offense sputtered without a healthy Fuller in the lineup.

Even Coutee was either injured, in the doghouse or running the wrong routes. So, it comes down to besides Hopkins, who was reliable and available to take some of Hopkins' targets? Finally, for an offense that utilizes the slot WR, O'Brien could never find a slot WR. A case can be made that Amendola might be the best or most competent slot WR since BOB was hired.

Mangler

All Pro
We all saw how the offense sputtered without a healthy Fuller in the lineup.

Even Coutee was either injured, in the doghouse or running the wrong routes.
When Coutee wasn’t busy being injured, in the dog house, or running the wrong routes he was out there fumbling the ball at the worst times possible. It’s like he and Nick Martin were competing with each other about who could f uck up the game worse.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When Coutee wasn’t busy being injured, in the dog house, or running the wrong routes he was out there fumbling the ball at the worst times possible. It’s like he and Nick Martin were competing with each other about who could f uck up the game worse.
He was picked up by the Colts.

I wonder how long that will last.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Back to Tyrod. This just might be his time and place to shine as a starter again since stint with Bills? Then came Allen. So there is that. All that investment in the OL is paying off, and your going to need to stay strong here for the Texans next man up.
That’s my thoughts as well. TT is, imho, very motivated to prove he’s got what it takes to be that QB everyone wants and counts on. Now is is time to shine and prove it to the naysayers who’s bypassed him and he’s in the perfect environment, group, and circumstances to prove a lot of critics wrong, even those critics whose discounted the Texans’ prospects of any kind of success this year. Being the proverbial ’underdog’ does have the motivationing factor needed.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
Side Note: y'all remember 2016 when they finally figured out how to use TE's in the passing game and got 115 catches, 1100 yards and 7 TD's out of them? Then promptly forgot the position the next year?
Why did you have to bring that painful memory up ? i'd almost forgotten all about it :)