Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Most surprising, negative or positive for Texans since 2020 season ended?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Of course there are several but what puzzles me is what happened to all the quality vets of other teams that were supposed to be cut due to the loss of millions of dollars to the NFL salary cap.

Off hand, I cannot think of one that the Texans signed. Were there actually that many to select from? Remember the eagerness on this message board as many of us discuss that?

Yours could and probably will be DeShaun Watson or Bill O'Brien, Caserio or Easterby...

This is mine.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I tried really hard to come up with a positive for this, but I just can’t find one. Other than getting a package for Watson to help turn this mess around a little quicker, but that hasn’t happened yet.

A lot of peeps think Caserio is doing a great job with the million moves he’s made. I just don’t see it yet. I wasn’t impressed with how his 1st draft went down. That doesn’t mean I don’t think the players selected won’t be good. How it went down and the players picked are 2 different things.

Never mind the QB selection with 1st pick, which was a 3rd rounder BTW, he moved up 3 times in a limited draft. He moved up 2 times for a 5th rounder. Re-signing David Johnson is a head scratcher. So I don’t see Caserio doing this great job. At least so far. I’ve maintained I’m giving him a mulligan this year.

Ooh, OK, how about Mike Devlin no longer being here? That’s a positive.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I tried really hard to come up with a positive for this, but I just can’t find one. Other than getting a package for Watson to help turn this mess around a little quicker, but that hasn’t happened yet.

A lot of peeps think Caserio is doing a great job with the million moves he’s made. I just don’t see it yet. I wasn’t impressed with how his 1st draft went down. That doesn’t mean I don’t think the players selected won’t be good. How it went down and the players picked are 2 different things.

Never mind the QB selection with 1st pick, which was a 3rd rounder BTW, he moved up 3 times in a limited draft. He moved up 2 times for a 5th rounder. Re-signing David Johnson is a head scratcher. So I don’t see Caserio doing this great job. At least so far. I’ve maintained I’m giving him a mulligan this year.

Ooh, OK, how about Mike Devlin no longer being here? That’s a positive.
I really think the entire Houston Texans organization should get a mulligan this year, and I mean that collectively and individually.
Even Cal & Janice McNair because I think this whole matter involving DW4 would have been an extraordinarily challenging situation for an experienced and accomplished franchise CEO because it's an unprecedented quagmire in several ways for an NFL franchise to confront and control.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Most surprising: The Watson situation from wanting a trade to the legal issues.
Most positive: Devlin being gone, don't get me wrong I think Caserio is doing a good job but there was no other single move that improved the team more.
Most negative: Kelly being kept as OC, I like Kelly well enough and I understand why they did it but keeping him on just to try and make Watson happy instead of bringing in an experienced OC never has sit well with me.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Most surprising: The Watson situation from wanting a trade to the legal issues.
Most positive: Devlin being gone, don't get me wrong I think Caserio is doing a good job but there was no other single move that improved the team more.
Most negative: Kelly being kept as OC, I like Kelly well enough and I understand why they did it but keeping him on just to try and make Watson happy instead of bringing in an experienced OC never has sit well with me.
Devlin more than Obrien?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Watson situation as well as asking for a freaking trade after signing a mega contract. -Surpris

The Texans given Bill O’Brien all the power after a humiliating loss in the playoffs. And Bill O’Brien firing everyone but the the worst oline coach in NFL history -Negative

Finally landing the GM they’ve chasing after for some years. Who is doing his best to unscrew the previous GM crap and hold this thing together when the supposedly leader of this team started acting like a chump and a perv in one freaking breath. - Positive

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I still cant believe that DW is talented... aint a goofy lookin kid, has money.... and STILL has no game when it comes to women.

I mean, I didnt read all the fetish details but still... IF cannibalistic serial killers can find women lining up to be with them...

..... DW shouldnt have to force girls to touch his dangles to satisfy his fetishes.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Watson situation as well as asking for a freaking trade after signing a mega contract. -Surpris

The Texans given Bill O’Brien all the power after a humiliating loss in the playoffs. And Bill O’Brien firing everyone but the the worst oline coach in NFL history -Negative

Finally landing the GM they’ve chasing after for some years. Who is doing his best to unscrew the previous GM crap and hold this thing together when the supposedly leader of this team started acting like a chump and a perv in one freaking breath. - Positive
Would I be the only person on this site that might think Watson knee-jerked in his haste to leave Houston when he was confronted by the first accuser seeking a financial settlement for her silence and discretion? He refused and knew this was only going to get nastier when Buzbee was on the scene? I think he used the, "they're not involving me in the GM/HC selection" as a way to justify his wish to leave Houston.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would I be the only person on this site that might think Watson knee-jerked in his haste to leave Houston when he was confronted by the first accuser seeking a financial settlement for her silence and discretion? He refused and knew this was only going to get nastier when Buzbee was on the scene? I think he used the, "they're not involving me in the GM/HC selection" as a way to justify his wish to leave Houston.
Just my two centavos but I think it was combination of allegation(s) if one would asked for $ he knew others could; and I believe Mugahleta sold him on exploding his brand elsewhere. The latter probably pumped up DW's ego even more so he thought he could slide past the allegations.

Another week ends with no public announcements and no (apparent) movement of a settlement.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Just my two centavos but I think it was combination of allegation(s) if one would asked for $ he knew others could; and I believe Mugahleta sold him on exploding his brand elsewhere. The latter probably pumped up DW's ego even more so he thought he could slide past the allegations.

Another week ends with no public announcements and no (apparent) movement of a settlement.

Pretty sure @badboy has me on ignore because he doesn't like my response.

Test.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Yeah it seems a stretch that Watson is sticking to his digs in the face of these allegations when he stated via Tweet that loyalty is the sticking point - especially when one considers that he claims integrity is his game.
He definitely has some cajones considering he had only just accepted a brinks truck backing up to his front door.
Personally, I would rather see his azz walk out of NRG and try for another.
Sad to have to contemplate such a thing after waiting so long for a good one to finally come along.
Oh well, Pep Hamilton is supposed to be good at bringing new young guys along - Justin Herbert was his most recent project and I believe Baker-Mayfield before that.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I’ve said before I think Watson knew this was coming and either he or his agent wanted him to get out of town before it hit. It’s extremely hard to sue across state lines and the criminal investigations would have never been a thing without the civil cases so if he could have gotten traded there is a very good chance he could have avoided all this.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Oh well, Pep Hamilton is supposed to be good at bringing new young guys along - Justin Herbert was his most recent project and I believe Baker-Mayfield before that.
Uh, no on Baker Mayfield. Unless it was a private/personal thing.

And is he good at bringing new guys along? Are we going down this QB guru road again?
Justin Herbert and Andrew Luck are the only QBs he's worked with in the last decade who have done anything in this game and both of them were high 1st round talent (6th and 1st respectively).

2020 - Herbert, 6th overall
2020 - Tyree Jackson and Cardale Jones (XFL). Tyree has never played an NFL snap and Jones has 19 snaps.
2018 - Shea Patterson - Michigan, undrafted and never made an NFL roster.
2017 - John O'Korn and Brandon Peters - Michigan, both undrafted and never made a roster
2016 - Cody Kessler - Browns (his rookie season), 3rd rounder who's career lasted 3 seasons with 12 starts.
2013-2015 - Andrew Luck - Indy, overall #1.
2012 - Josh Nunes (retired from a weight lifting accident) and Kevin Hogan - Stanford, 1 career start since 2016 for Hogan, hasn't seen a football field since 2017, and last known address was practice squad QB for the Bengals.
And of course, 2010-2011 - Andrew Luck again.

That's it. That's 10 QB's Pep has worked with in the last decade, with only the high end 1st rounders, Luck and Herbert, doing anything in this game. So why so high on this guy?

OptimisticTexan

I’ve said before I think Watson knew this was coming and either he or his agent wanted him to get out of town before it hit. It’s extremely hard to sue across state lines and the criminal investigations would have never been a thing without the civil cases so if he could have gotten traded there is a very good chance he could have avoided all this.
You are 100% correct maverick512000. Yeah, you were the one I remember bringing up this scenario. Glad I’m on the same sheet as you.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Negative- There's now a term called the Oily Watson
Surprising- DW4 likes to have fingers in his poop shoot.
Positive- Caserio is well on his way in taking steps to take out the trash.

Dejaview

All Pro
Then why did he have a short list of teams he wanted to play for? Not how I’d want to get out of town fast.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Then why did he have a short list of teams he wanted to play for? Not how I’d want to get out of town fast.
We don’t know that he had a short list, that was just what the media was hyping based on who actually might have the capital to trade for him. In fact the only thing we know for sure is that the Texans were saying we’re not trading. It could very well be that Watson actually was saying “trade me anywhere out of Texas” and Texans were saying it’s not happening.

Texansballer74

The Marine
This came across my mind as well.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Uh, no on Baker Mayfield. Unless it was a private/personal thing.

And is he good at bringing new guys along? Are we going down this QB guru road again?
Justin Herbert and Andrew Luck are the only QBs he's worked with in the last decade who have done anything in this game and both of them were high 1st round talent (6th and 1st respectively).

2020 - Herbert, 6th overall
2020 - Tyree Jackson and Cardale Jones (XFL). Tyree has never played an NFL snap and Jones has 19 snaps.
2018 - Shea Patterson - Michigan, undrafted and never made an NFL roster.
2017 - John O'Korn and Brandon Peters - Michigan, both undrafted and never made a roster
2016 - Cody Kessler - Browns (his rookie season), 3rd rounder who's career lasted 3 seasons with 12 starts.
2013-2015 - Andrew Luck - Indy, overall #1.
2012 - Josh Nunes (retired from a weight lifting accident) and Kevin Hogan - Stanford, 1 career start since 2016 for Hogan, hasn't seen a football field since 2017, and last known address was practice squad QB for the Bengals.
And of course, 2010-2011 - Andrew Luck again.

That's it. That's 10 QB's Pep has worked with in the last decade, with only the high end 1st rounders, Luck and Herbert, doing anything in this game. So why so high on this guy?
Hopeful more than high.
Pep had something else to do with Mills - from what I heard, he either worked with or is familiar with him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hopeful more than high.
Pep had something else to do with Mills - from what I heard, he either worked with or is familiar with him.
Because it's been said if Mills came out next yr he would've been a high pick. So he definitely is more naturally gifted than most on that list.

For instance John O'Korn/Kessler/Hogan have nowhere near the god given ability Mills has.

OptimisticTexan

I’m just happy that Caserio made the requisite moves to get the Texans through this Watson created nightmare. First, he signed a solid veteran in Tyrod Taylor (Watson Lite type), traded for Finley who should hold up just fine in a pinch, and then he drafted Mills......a true developmental QB in RD3 with no expectations of making him carry the Texans in 2021 unless he just comes in and blows everyone away. Me, I don’t expect that to happen and would be much more relieved if the team allows Mills to develop slowly for a season and a half before giving him any regular season field time. Taylor and Finley should bridge the position for 1.5 to 2 years which should play perfectly if Caserio is eyeing 2023 as the year he makes a big move for a RD1 QB........if Mills is proving to be a better QB2 in the future. If Mills is successfully groomed, then Caserio would have the luxury of drafting another development QB in 2022 or 2023.

Of course, this whole process changes if the Texans wind up with the RD1-01 pick in 2022 or 2023 and a Mahomes or Herbert type are available for the taking. Even if Mills is taking care of his business, having a Franchise QB wouldn’t hurt b/c Mills becomes a valuable trade asset.

Mangler

Toro de España
I’m just happy that Caserio made the requisite moves to get the Texans through this Watson created nightmare. First, he signed a solid veteran in Tyrod Taylor (Watson Lite type), traded for Finley who should hold up just fine in a pinch, and then he drafted Mills......a true developmental QB in RD3 with no expectations of making him carry the Texans in 2021 unless he just comes in and blows everyone away. Me, I don’t expect that to happen and would be much more relieved if the team allows Mills to develop slowly for a season and a half before giving him any regular season field time. Taylor and Finley should bridge the position for 1.5 to 2 years which should play perfectly if Caserio is eyeing 2023 as the year he makes a big move for a RD1 QB........if Mills is proving to be a better QB2 in the future. If Mills is successfully groomed, then Caserio would have the luxury of drafting another development QB in 2022 or 2023.

Of course, this whole process changes if the Texans wind up with the RD1-01 pick in 2022 or 2023 and a Mahomes or Herbert type are available for the taking. Even if Mills is taking care of his business, having a Franchise QB wouldn’t hurt b/c Mills becomes a valuable trade asset.
Co-sign! By the way, that Oklahoma kid (Spencer Rattler) is who I’d target for 2022 if we wind up with a top 5 pick, and all the QBs currently on the roster don't work out. Although it would be nicer if our offense is decent enough to hold on for one more season, and Caserio can go all out on defense in 2022, THEN go after the top QB in 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Agreed

But I hope Mills starts at some point next yr.

This isn't a Carr or for that matter DW4 type situation the OL should atleast be avg to maybe above avg if healthy with better coaching. Mills wont be getting the crap being beaten out of them like Carr/DW4 did.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Co-sign! By the way, that Oklahoma kid (Spencer Rattler) is who I’d target for 2022 if we wind up with a top 5 pick, and all the QBs currently on the roster don't work out. Although it would be nicer if our offense is decent enough to hold on for one more season, and Caserio can go all out on defense in 2022, THEN go after the top QB in 2023.
Next yr is a really good defensive draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2022 is a really good everything draft. There are 2021 4th rounders who would go undrafted in 2022. 2022 UDFA class will be one of the better undrafted classes in a decade. Despite how the league was selling 2021 to fans, it was one of the worst overall classes in more than a decade.
I quoted this post because I dont think this can be understated.

It sure would be nice if Mills was the answer at QB. If that were to happen everything else would fall nicely into place with the talent that's going to be available in the 2022 draft. Can you imagine having the opportunity to choose between picking Stingley or Thibadeaux?

OptimisticTexan

I quoted this post because I dont think this can be understated.

It sure would be nice if Mills was the answer at QB. If that were to happen everything else would fall nicely into place with the talent that's going to be available in the 2022 draft. Can you imagine having the opportunity to choose between picking Stingley or Thibadeaux?
.......or possibly getting both, if the Watson trade yields another low RD1 pick.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Next year is a good draft.... so why is NC being hammered with one year competition deals?
Some people like me wanted Caserio to trade all of his picks this yr for 2022 picks. Others wanted to trade Tunsil/Cooks in addition to trading the picks.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Nada, zilch, nothing has changed. The McNairs are still the McNairs, acting and behaving like the McNairs have always have only a little more bizarre, bewildered and dumber since Bob Passed away. The McNair pattern of behavior has not changed. The McNair (MO) method of operation has not changed. I expect the same massive McNair SNAFU that has always plagued this football team for the last 20 years.

It's going to take Kyle another 4 to 5 years to figure out this SNAFU is going to be worse than all the other McNair Houston Texans SNAFUS.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nada, zilch, nothing has changed. The McNairs are still the McNairs, acting and behaving like the McNairs have always have only a little more bizarre, bewildered and dumber since Bob Passed away. The McNair pattern of behavior has not changed. The McNair (MO) method of operation has not changed. I expect the same massive McNair SNAFU that has always plagued this football team for the last 20 years.

It's going to take Kyle another 4 to 5 years to figure out this SNAFU is going to be worse than all the other McNair Houston Texans SNAFUS.
I tend to agree with you.

But do you think Cal is letting Caserio run the show, or is the boardroom mentality still present on Kirby?

Texian

Hall of Fame
I tend to agree with you.

But do you think Cal is letting Caserio run the show, or is the boardroom mentality still present on Kirby?
IMO I think Bob McNair's boardroom approach is still in effect and Cal is trying to run it like Daddy (Janice's insistence and only way he knows) but so far results have only been worse. Caserio is on record saying that he is responsible for player personnel decisions but all player personnel decisions will be group decisions (just like Daddy and the Kirby roundtable, a proven plan for less than mediocre). I think Cal allows Nick some latitude as long as operations and decisions meet with the Kirby boardroom seal of approval. Cal said Nick is responsible for the roster but only in a way Cal and Janice want it to get done.

I've been very vocal that the key to being successful is having one person with a proven positive winning record responsible for making all football operations decisions. The McNair boardroom approach does not meet with those standards. Caserio passing early draft decisions to Pep does not either but then again Nick probably doesn't know any other way. Which means Nick is not that guy. So far the Texans are operating opposite of having a successful winning operations plan. IMO the one person with the most say is not Nick Caserio, it is Jack Easterby. Much of what I've seen is more of a McNair influence than Caserio.

IMO I think Caserio was given carte blanche to reshuffle the chairs on the Titanic, restructure contracts and trade away draft picks but Cal Janice and Easterby have the right to selectively interfere just like Daddy often did but their interference comes with even worse results.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
IMO I think Bob McNair's boardroom approach is still in effect and Cal is trying to run it like Daddy but so far it has been only worse. Caserio is on record saying that he is responsible for player personnel decisions but all player personnel decisions will be group decisions (just like Daddy and the Kirby roundtable, a proven plan for less than mediocre). I think Cal allows Nick some latitude as long as operations and decisions meet with the Kirby boardroom seal of approval. Cal said Nick is responsible for the roster but only in a way Cal and Janice want it to get done.

I've been very vocal that the key to being successful is having one person with a proven positive winning record responsible for making all football operations decisions. The McNair boardroom approach does not meet with those standards. Caserio passing early draft decisions to Pep does not either but then again Nick probably doesn't know any other way. Which means Nick is not that guy. So far the Texans are operating opposite of having a successful winning operations plan. IMO the one person with the most say is not Nick Caserio, it is Jack Easterby. Much of what I've seen is more of a McNair influence than Caserio.
A fair take and I agree with some of this and hope you're wrong.

What makes you think Easterby has the most say? WE haven't heard a peep from him since Caserio entered Kirby.

Texian

Hall of Fame
A fair take and I agree with some of this and hope you're wrong.

What makes you think Easterby has the most say? WE haven't heard a peep from him since Caserio entered Kirby.
One thing we know is Jack Easterby permeates every hall and office at NRG Stadium. Easterby has been able to fire long time Texans employees Amy Palcic and Chris Olson, both well respected in the NFL, along with firing HC/GM Bill O'Brien and GM Brian Gaine. Easterby hired their replacements, GM Nick Caserio and HC David Culley, while also running off Texans President, Jamey Rootes. Easterby was front and center in the latest draft war room. When the entire sports world had doubled down and demanded the Texans fire Jack Easterby, Cal and Nick both said Easterby was going nowhere and that he was a vital part of the Texans organization. Easterby lives in the locker room and no one has more direct communication with players than Jack Easteby. Jack Easterby is the #1 Chief advisor to Cal and Janice. Cal and Janice don't seem to make a move without first consulting with their #1 counselor and spirit advisor, Jack Easterby.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One thing we know is Jack Easterby permeates every hall and office at NRG Stadium. Easterby has been able to fire long time Texans employees Amy Palcic and Chris Olson, both well respected in the NFL, along with firing HC/GM Bill O'Brien and GM Brian Gaine. Easterby hired their replacements, GM Nick Caserio and HC David Culley, while also running off Texans President, Jamey Rootes. Easterby was front and center in the latest draft war room. When the entire sports world had doubled down and demanded the Texans fire Jack Easterby, Cal and Nick both said Easterby was going nowhere and that he was a vital part of the Texans organization. Easterby lives in the locker room and no one has more direct communication with players than Jack Easteby. Jack Easterby is the #1 Chief advisor to Cal and Janice. Cal and Janice don't seem to make a move without first consulting with their #1 counselor and spirit advisor, Jack Easterby.
Easterby did what he was hired to do and frankly these longtime employees needed to be let go since the attitudes they had were part of the reason the team/org has been mediocre at best since the teams inception. Keep them around and it would have been more of the same old same old mediocrity. Personally I'm glad Cal made these types of moves. Why? because if they dont workout chances are the McNair's carpetbagging azzez will either sell the team, or the team will become an afterthought in this city. A long overdue correction was needed. Since 2010 to be exact. Easterby is nothing more than a sympton of the real issues down on Kirby.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Easterby did what he was hired to do and frankly these longtime employees needed to be let go...

Whoa, whoa... slow down. He’s baiting.

Far as we know Easterby does not have the power to fire anyone. Well, at that time. The complaint about Gaine came from outside the organization. Cal responded.

Amy Palcic made a spectacle of herself, Kyle responded.

We don’t know what role Easterby had in either case. Any claim otherwise is speculation.