Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mercilus restructures his contract

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Time will tell on Caserio, but judging him just a couple of months into his tenure speaks to preconceived agendas.
Say what DB, you saying the Texans are now under the management of a man with an actual vision for the team ?
High praise and if you are accurate it's a major step-up for the organization.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Time will tell on Caserio, but judging him just a couple of months into his tenure speaks to preconceived agendas.
Only preconception on my part is he is a Belichick admin. They do have a history of failures, it comes with the territory. Caserio has played his own cards, hiring Culley, resigning David Johnson, restructuring $35MM which is counter productive for 2022 and 2023. I'm a bit surprised by the number of people who think spending money like a drunk sailor on a throw away season is a good thing. There is a preconception that GMs are geniuses but GMs do have about a 99% failure rate.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It’s quite possibly the funniest thing on this board I’ve seen in a while. The same folks in here talking about NC know what he’s doing and that he should be doing it my way, the arm chair GM with no experience in an NFL FO whatsoever...................are the same folks who continue to be up in arms about Easterby being in a VP of football role ........with no experience.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It’s quite possibly the funniest thing on this board I’ve seen in a while. The same folks in here talking about NC know what he’s doing and that he should be doing it my way, the arm chair GM with no experience in an NFL FO whatsoever...................are the same folks who continue to be up in arms about Easterby being in a VP of football role ........with no experience.
In defense of most on this board - myself included - Easterby came out of no where exerting so much influence and control only for it now to be theorized that he was trying to help DW. And then Cal ran a diversion with Korn Ferry.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Notice its the same 2 dudes in here trying to hurry up and poop on the move.....1 of those guy thought Case Keenum was a future HOF in waiting & the texans should've went all in with him..... the other guy swore up and down Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel had next in the NFL.

The only person we're missing is Lucky chiming in with his usual....
@Mr teX. Always on the troll.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I doubt he was interested in becoming a FA when he had a better contract in place than anything he'll see in FA.

I can't imagine what the Texans said to him. Worst case scenario he was going to be a June 1st cut, receiving a hefty paycheck from the Texans & whatever one year deal he could find before the season starts.
He wants to go anywhere he better play better than he did the last year.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
This is wrong on so many levels. For starters Mercilus would have been $15MM cap relief in 2022. Now he is $7MM in Dead Cap and is a free agent. Also as the weakest roster in the NFL Caserio thinks it's a brilliant idea to now borrow $35MM from future seasons salary cap. SMH:hankpalm:
Caserio had no choice. He's already squandered the rest of the cap space created from cuts and renegotiations. The Texans will need around $6 million to sign their meager draft class (unless Nick trades more draft choices). What happens in a week or two when teams begin to waive players to get their rookie pool money? Will Caserio be able to claim them?

I'll be fair to Caserio. Mercilus wasn't his ridiculous signing. All I'm saying is that pushing cap to 2022 would have been wise. Especially if a QB becomes available on the trade market.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Caserio had no choice. He's already squandered the rest of the cap space created from cuts and renegotiations. The Texans will need around $6 million to sign their meager draft class (unless Nick trades more draft choices). What happens in a week or two when teams begin to waive players to get their rookie pool money? Will Caserion be able to claim them?

I'll be fair to Caserio. Mercilus wasn't his ridiculous signing. All I'm saying is that pushing cap to 2022 would have been wise. Especially if a QB becomes available on the trade market.
make up your mind. you either want him to carry over the cap space from all of the releases and restructures to 2022 or sign a qb that becomes available on the trade market in 2021. Furthermore, what makes you think that there's going to be this influx of great players hitting the trade market after teams waive guys to get their rookie pool money? Just about every player who could potentially be waived by teams is/was already out there.

All pushing the cap to 2022 does is allow us to overpay for some other FA next year.........that you guys will complain about. Field the best team you can now & in 2022 we get the reset on the cap anyway.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
make up your mind. you either want him to carry over the cap space from all of the releases and restructures to 2022 or sign a qb that becomes available on the trade market in 2021.
I was referring to the 2022 market. Hence, the suggestion of pushing the cap $$$ forward.

But hey, don't let me stop the cheerleading. Go Nick GO! :fans:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I see NC getting a spreadsheet and explaining to Cal that in order to make things work in the future you have to blow it up and money will be wasted in order to have money on 22 and 23.

2021 is a wasted year. Look at the Watson fiasco. If you don’t have a top QB you ain’t doing much of anything. Especially when you don’t have any draft picks. Turnover all players that can be turned over to reset the culture.

2022. We have draft picks again. The cap is more manageable to get free agents. Watson’s future should be known. Expect to draft QB 1.1. If everyone who was in the Texans in 2020 aren’t gone by now they will be.

2023. Again more drafts and more money for free agency to spend like New England has this year. (Don’t be surprised by a head coaching change here if it hasn’t happened sooner.)

Looks like a 3 year plan.

Makes sense.
Part of his interview plan.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In defense of most on this board - myself included - Easterby came out of no where exerting so much influence and control only for it now to be theorized that he was trying to help DW. And then Cal ran a diversion with Korn Ferry.
Easterby hasn't done anything but maybe peek around a few corners.

He's gotten blame for stuff other people took credit for.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I thought he didn’t interview. Cal and Easterby just flew to New England, put a bag over his head, flew him to NRG, ripped the bag off and threw him into his office.

Then Cal looked at NC and said - “Look at me. You are the GM now.”
Caserio: You know I’m bored here in NE and I’d really like a challenge where I can show how good I can be.

Cal: Please allow me to introduce myself and my team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To be fair those first three were hand picked by the HC and the last one was the best F/A QB on the market that year after said HC was no longer allowed to pick a QB. So yeah if anyone on the Texans could actually evaluate talent things might have been different.
I didn't know the HC picked personnel?

It was rumored BOB wanted Jimmy G and he didn't get him. Was that on the HC too?

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I’m beginning to think that the majority of the moves to the roster and the coaches they brought in are meant to create a football first atmosphere. All the moves they’ve made this offseason points to institutional rot left behind by BoB and the top players that got shipped out (yes, maybe even Watt). It looks like they want to bring in placeholders and teachers until they can make their major moves with a full slate of draft picks and adequate cap space. They want the dust to settle and see what they have. For all the years of excuses I’ve heard about Capers, Casserly, Kubiak, Smith, and O’Brien, I think we should give NC a year or two to see what his plan is. Also, until we see what happens with Watson, there is no point of making major moves.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I agree with the first statement. We should be looking to roll over as much cap money as we can.

Far as the second statement, if anything it shows we don't know what Caserio is doing.
I dont think the cap will be the problem next year, NC has plenty of flexibility there with these shorter contracts. Talent and coaching are the issue. High price FA fail as much as they work, and with the salary cap going back up and some younger draft picks etc, he has plenty of roster flexibility for the 3 guys he "mortgaged our future" with. Bad contracts like Cobb and Murray can go as well next year. Let NC cook. All that being said, David Johnson was weird, we would have paid him $2m to walk, and could have gotten someone else young for the other $2m. Maybe he sees him as a hybrid in the slot or they have ideas how really to use him while Ingram and Lindsay tote the rock