Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mercilus Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I think he wanted to repair the relationship between his QB & his team, as he should. He attempted to put together a competitive team while not committing himself to fringe players for too long.

We'll never know, but this team may have been capable of winning the AFCSouth with Watson.

Arguably they could compete for the division with Tyrod.

With a rookie QB ad green as Mills this team won't be competitive but with the worse teams in the NFL.

Point: we have to remember his first priority was keeping his franchise QB.

Knowing now that relationship is all but severed, I doubt he would approach the upcoming offseason the way he approached the past offseason. At least I hope. But we'll see.
Wishing and Hoping and wanting and living in Kool Aid Fantasyland. This all still ignores the fact that he created $25MM in dead money in 2021 then had to borrow $30+MM from 2022 and 2023 so he could sign a bunch of players from the trash bin. Caserio was in charge of filing scouting reports written by Patriot scouts. So it should come as no surprise why he is in way over his head and has no clue as to what he is doing in Houston.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
So did Scott Pioli, Bill O'Brien, Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, Bob Quinn, Jim Schwartz, Al Groh, John Robinson, Thomas Dimitroff and lest we not forget that it was Bob Kraft who threw Nick Caserio under the bus for the dismal decade of Patriot draft picks. What we have learned from such a long list of failures is Belichick assistants are good coaches and terrible head coaches and a Belichick clerks basically know how to fill out a scouting report to meet Belichick's specifications and make a terrible GMs.
And yet he is still vastly more qualified to run this franchise than you are.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I don't expect anything from this organization, simply because I believe the owner is an incompetent, ignorant, silver-spooned nincompoop. It was HIS decisions that ultimately empowered O'Brien to destroy this franchise.

As far as Caserio, my jury is out, but he is clearly not the brain behind the Patriots dynasty. He was a cog in their machine, and it remains to be seen if he can build this franchise into anything competitive. Based on the limited data-set we've seen so far, I'm not impressed. He's learning on the job. This is a decade rebuild when considering the learning curves for the GM and HC. Both are in over their heads right now. JMO.
Lol, Virginia McCaskey isn't anymore "competent" than Cal or say the Pegulas & there's been no more greater success over the last 20+ years since the Texans have been in existence for the team off I 45 North either. & we all know that guy has his hands in every aspect of how the cowboys operate. Even insinuating that Jerry is competent in something other than PR for his team would have cowboys fans :spit:.

So i don't see Cal as anything other than what the other 32 team owners are...at best, meddling owners who think they know more than they do...at worst, meddling owners who think that what they say will ultimately matter to fans if those actions aren't backed by results on the field.

In my estimation Cal is doing exactly what i want an owner to be doing..which is hiring good candidates & then stepping back & letting those candidates do what he hired them to do.
NC stepped into an impossible situation & anyone who came here in this situation was gonna be up against it. That includes ol' boy that Texian keeps pimping too.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wishing and Hoping and wanting and living in Kool Aid Fantasyland.
Well you & I have the luxury of saying this or that & not having to realize the actual reality. Caserio had to make decisions based on the situation at the time.

I will agree it's a bad mark not reading the situation as it truly was. Not fair because he only knows what he knows. But the NFL ain't about fair.

This all still ignores the fact that he created $25MM in dead money in 2021 then had to borrow $30+MM from 2022 and 2023 so he could sign a bunch of players from the trash bin.
I'm not ignoring it. It is what it is. & if there was no DW4 on the Texans roster when he got here, I don't know that he would have done the same.

& I'm not going to act like he would have.

So it should come as no surprise why he is in way over his head and has no clue as to what he is doing in Houston.
I'm just considering the situation as it was in this reality.

I've soured quite a bit on Caserio since he got here. But not for trying to do what he was trying to do.

Texian

Hall of Fame
And yet he is still vastly more qualified to run this franchise than you are.
Probably not since Nick is only 46 I am 69. I have been going to NFL games long before Nick was born. I was an NFL season ticket holder when Nick was 5. I'm not just your average fan. I was high school QB. I am a serious draftnik and have studied why franchises fail and why they win. I can tell you why Rankin Smith, John Mecom Jr and William Clay Ford were terrible owners much like the McNairs. They were all impatient meddling owners in affairs they had no business managing. Their egos got in the way of making good sound business decisions.

On the other side of the coin successful franchises had one person, a proven winner, who was responsible for all football decisions. Leaders and winners like Tex Schram, Chuck Noll, Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels, Ozzie Newsome, Ron Wolf, Ted Thompson, Marv Levy, Al Davis and Don Shula. Unfortunately owners like the McNairs will not be able to attract proven leaders and winners. McNairs reputation as loser meddling impatient owners prohibit that from happening. What self respecting proven GM or HC is going to entrust their career to a bubbling baffling buffoon like Cal McNair? I mean seriously you have to some trust and respect for the people you work for.

I have an economics degree and have owned my own business. I was a successful business owner. I had to be responsible for making millions of dollars so I could be able to sign the paychecks for all of the people who worked for me. Something that Caserio is not familiar with. Caserio was always looking for someone to sign his check. Although I do know this, as a previous business owner, there is a good chance that I would hire Nick Caserio to come in and do some report filing for me.

I can also assure you of this, I know a bubble butt and thick ankles when I see them. I also know a sh*t sandwich when I see one. I don't have to take a bite.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Well you & I have the luxury of saying this or that & not having to realize the actual reality. Caserio had to make decisions based on the situation at the time.

I will agree it's a bad mark not reading the situation as it truly was. Not fair because he only knows what he knows. But the NFL ain't about fair.

I'm not ignoring it. It is what it is. & if there was no DW4 on the Texans roster when he got here, I don't know that he would have done the same.

& I'm not going to act like he would have.

I'm just considering the situation as it was in this reality.

I've soured quite a bit on Caserio since he got here. But not for trying to do what he was trying to do.
I going to say this as simple as I know how. Restructuring Mercilus contract in 2021 borrowing $7MM from the 2022 salary cap knowing he was not under contract and would not be with the team in 2022 is pure panic management, desperate decision making, inability to think things thru and just bad management. It stinks to high heaven that you have no clue as to what you're doing. This is only one incident, there are a dozen more just like it.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just think a lot of fans have greatly underestimated the lack of talent
And the Texans inability to find not a single team willing to offer any consideration for arguably one of the best defensive players
on our current roster may very well be the wake up call those fans have needed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Restructuring Mercilus contract in 2021 borrowing $7MM from the 2022 salary cap knowing he was not under contract and would not be with the team in 2022 is pure panic management
I'm not going to presume to know what they were thinking. Personally I can see a role for him on the roster, just not with that price tag.

The restructure didn't do much to put him in line with where I want him. & yes, this is one of the moves that soured me on Caserio.

So far, his score card foreshadows an early exit.

But like you said, if they're above .500 in year three, I'm not going to argue the minutiae.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Mercilus was toast last season. O'Brien made so many blunders as GM, it's difficult to rank them. But extending Mercilus was top 5, to be sure.
Was just looking back on game logs and he really hasn't done anything worth mentioning since the first half of 2019. It was a really good first half. 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 7 TFLs through the Oakland game. He's just kind of disappeared since then.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think Caserio had to have a Plan A and Plan B when he arrived.

Plan A:
In the event Watson returned, Caserio had to have a team that could compete and within reason of the 2021 cap restraints.

Plan B:
Have a backup plan that kicks the rebuild into gear should Watson stay away from the team and Taylor turns out not to be the answer. Unfortunately, Taylor’s injury may have kicked this rebuild into the “now” b/c the losses have already taken this team out of contention for the AFCS crown. Caserio could very well be running the scorched earth part of the plan in an effort to ensure the team has the right pick location to start the rebuild. I believe Caserio will try to make good deals before the deadline and focus on moving the remaining big contract players in the 2022 off-season. That band-aid some wanted to yank off this season will probably need to wait until 2022. One thing is for certain…..potential playoff teams are beginning to get hit with the injury bug and the Texans are in a position to be sellers.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Was just looking back on game logs and he really hasn't done anything worth mentioning since the first half of 2019. It was a really good first half. 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 7 TFLs through the Oakland game. He's just kind of disappeared since then.
That’s the game Watt injured his pectoral and missed the rest of the regular season. No one left to vulture sacks from.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
lest we not forget that it was Bob Kraft who threw Nick Caserio under the bus for the dismal decade of Patriot draft picks.
Only in your mind from a quote you interpreted to slant the way you wanted...

And you then contradict yourself here
Caserio was in charge of filing scouting reports written by Patriot scouts
I'm not just your average fan. I was high school QB (in the 60's)
Says it all

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Thanks for this. Mercilus should have been released by the new GM if he knew what he was doing.

Texans fans expecting the pumpkin to turn into a magic carriage in 2022 are going to be in for a long wait. But hey, unicorn wishes and all that jazz. :homer:

But at least they will have a lovely "culture", whatever the eff that is supposed to mean in Kyle World.
I dont expect the record to be much better in 2022 (Depending on the resolution of Derrick's situation.) and I certainly dont expect Caserio to be a major player in FA next offseason. Do you?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm finding the same people keep making these two statements:

1. OB completely destroyed this franchise as both a coach and GM for the next decade

2. If Caserio knew what he was doing he could have this franchise turned around in one year

Most of the people on board with the Caserio hire are fully aware and accept that this is a multi-year process.
Derrick is just as big of a reason the franchise is where it is, as much as BOB's responsible for the current state of the franchise and that's saying something. Really Cal's the person most responsible.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Probably not since Nick is only 46 I am 69. I have been going to NFL games long before Nick was born. I was an NFL season ticket holder when Nick was 5. I'm not just your average fan. I was high school QB. I am a serious draftnik and have studied why franchises fail and why they win. I can tell you why Rankin Smith, John Mecom Jr and William Clay Ford were terrible owners much like the McNairs. They were all impatient meddling owners in affairs they had no business managing. Their egos got in the way of making good sound business decisions.

On the other side of the coin successful franchises had one person, a proven winner, who was responsible for all football decisions. Leaders and winners like Tex Schram, Chuck Noll, Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels, Ozzie Newsome, Ron Wolf, Ted Thompson, Marv Levy, Al Davis and Don Shula. Unfortunately owners like the McNairs will not be able to attract proven leaders and winners. McNairs reputation as loser meddling impatient owners prohibit that from happening. What self respecting proven GM or HC is going to entrust their career to a bubbling baffling buffoon like Cal McNair? I mean seriously you have to some trust and respect for the people you work for.

I have an economics degree and have owned my own business. I was a successful business owner. I had to be responsible for making millions of dollars so I could be able to sign the paychecks for all of the people who worked for me. Something that Caserio is not familiar with. Caserio was always looking for someone to sign his check. Although I do know this, as a previous business owner, there is a good chance that I would hire Nick Caserio to come in and do some report filing for me.

I can also assure you of this, I know a bubble butt and thick ankles when I see them. I also know a sh*t sandwich when I see one. I don't have to take a bite.
All those “credentials” and you still couldn’t see that Bortles and Manziel would be garbage qbs in the NFL?

GTFO with this nonsense. in summary you’re not anymore qualified to be a GM of an organization than me and I’m sure many others that post on this forum with extraneous credentials. I myself am a former former high school qb And while I’ve never been technically responsible for making “millions” of dollars, I have been responsible for millions in inventory and have had to make critical pressure packed decisions where someone’s life was in my hands…frequently.

Go sit down somewhere dude.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Extending a guy before you cut him is a negative no matter how you present it. It was a poor decision on NC'S part.

Just because he's the best of a bad bunch ,and by all accounts a stand up guy, doesn't mean he deserved it.

At least get the standard 6th round pick.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
You don't have to be a GM to question the GM.
If I remember correctly, people on all these MBs question and criticize GMs, HCs, OCs, DCs, and players left and right ALL year long.
Of course you don't have to be a GM to question or criticize a GM. A certain poster on the other hand proceeds at any opportunity to call him an idiot, buffoon and every other pejorative he can think of simply because he is not Elliot Wolf. There is a difference between the two and I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I believe these skills translate in any business. I also believe Cal doesn't have a clue about what you're talking about in this post. I'm higher on Caserio than you are, will he have to grow in the GM position? Yes, will he? I darn sure hope so. We've both watched enough football to know the Texans org has traditionally sucked in the draft and BOB topped that off by being financially irresponsible.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Of course you don't have to be a GM to question or criticize a GM. A certain poster on the other hand proceeds at any opportunity to call him an idiot, buffoon and every other pejorative he can think of simply because he is not Elliot Wolf. There is a difference between the two and I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that.
Don't be a tease. Name the poster and confront your differences head on.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

So with all that football expertise I have to ask. How’s your boy Urban Meyer doing?

OptimisticTexan

I can agree with that - but this was a poor decision. Mercy had 1 good year. Not much else to be said.
OB awarded the extension to Mercilus…..NC was the one who had to deal with it. NC could’ve cut Mercilus during the off-season and everyone probably would’ve been pissed with the dead money hit when the cap was already slim pickings. NC maneuvered his money and let Mercilus stay on as a veteran since there was a new DC and scheme that would return Mercilus to his natural position. “It didn’t work out”……so you just keep moving along. This will be a process and like Steelb, I just don’t see NC entering the game of signing solid FA’s until 2023 or 2024. He’s going to build his core through the draft.

Texian

Hall of Fame
OB awarded the extension to Mercilus…..NC was the one who had to deal with it. NC could’ve cut Mercilus during the off-season and everyone probably would’ve been pissed with the dead money hit when the cap was already slim pickings. NC maneuvered his money and let Mercilus stay on as a veteran since there was a new DC and scheme that would return Mercilus to his natural position. “It didn’t work out”……so you just keep moving along. This will be a process and like Steelb, I just don’t see NC entering the game of signing solid FA’s until 2023 or 2024. He’s going to build his core through the draft.
It was Caserio who restructured Mercilus contract. Do you know what that means?

OptimisticTexan

It was Caserio who restructured Mercilus contract. Do you know what that means?
…..absolutely. I believe Caserio pushed the money down the road in the hopes that Mercilus would actually deliver by being a better player in a new 4-3 scheme while playing at his natural DE position. It just didn’t work out the way they may have hoped. So, yank the band-aid and move on.

2021 is try to move and obtain pieces to see what or if anything will work. Caserio has done absolutely nothing that puts the Texans in a proverbial hole of no return. They will be just fine going forward.

2022 will be the season of new blood coming on board via the draft and additional 1-2 year contract players being signed to fill the roster. There will be cap money to roll over.

2023 will be another season of new blood coming on board via the draft and additional 1-2 year contract players being signed to fill the roster. There will be cap money rolling over.

2024 will be another season of adding the final pieces via the draft. This should be the season that Caserio has all the cap space needed to start adding top FA pieces to put the final touches on this young team.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Aren't you the fellow who said that Bill O'Brien was the single greatest head coach in Texans history?
Sarcasm and if you had actually read the post @mussop got that from you would know that.

Edit: Also I said he was the greatest coach AND GM in NFL HISTORY. You actually could make a valid argument for him about Texans history.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It's still a free game.
Look at how persistent steelb was at criticizing Rick Smith. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.