Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mercilus Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texian

Hall of Fame
On March 24, 2021 Nick Caserio restructured $6MM of Mercilus salary. His 2021 salary is guaranteed. I advocated at the time that Caserio just needed to cut or trade Whitney Mercilus (responsible rebuilding). If he had done so it would've saved $7MM in dead cap money in 2022. This is just another Caserio FUBAR. You can add this to what has now become a very long list of Caserio FUBARS. If it wasn't already, it is now clear that Nick Caserio has absolutely no idea what he is doing.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
On March 24, 2021 Nick Caserio restructured $6MM of Mercilus salary. His 2021 salary is guaranteed. I advocated at the time that Caserio just needed to cut or trade Whitney Mercilus (responsible rebuilding). If he had done so it would've saved $7MM in dead cap money in 2022. His 2021 salary is guaranteed. This is just another Caserio FUBAR. You can add this to what has now become a very long list of Caserio FUBARS. If it wasn't already, it is now clear that Nick Caserio has absolutely no idea what he is doing.
It's clear that cap space wont matter in 2022.

Of course this has been clear since 51-7

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's clear that cap space wont matter in 2022.

Of course this has been clear since 51-7
Repetitively saying it won't matter doesn't make it so. It only illustrates incompetence in a BIG way. Saying that pissing away $50MM in 2022 salary cap is no big deal only goes to show one's failure to understand the gravity of the subject matter. Pissing away $50MM in salary cap comes from a high level of ignorance.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Repetitively saying it won't matter doesn't make it so. It only illustrates incompetence in a BIG way. Saying that pissing away $50MM in 2022 salary cap is no big deal only goes to show one's failure to understand the gravity of the subject matter. Pissing away $50MM in salary cap comes from a high level of ignorance.
Back at you

What's so is the Texans could have the most cap space in the NFL until 2023 at the earliest and it wouldn't matter one bit as far as W/L's go and you know this.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The way DJ31 turned down that block in pass pro, fumbled once, almost fumbled again, he should be next. He's playing because we're to assume the rookie can't pass pro. Well, the vet can't either.
Yep,

If he's going to be that guy they need to cut him ASAP.

Culture

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Yep,

If he's going to be that guy they need to cut him ASAP.

Culture
You know the worse thing about 1 year contracts? Human preseveration. When Cooks spoke about undisciplined play, I thought of this. If you're on a 1 yr deal, you're trying to get numbers. You're trying to put action on tape. If it breaks the scheme, so be it, you showed up. The next team will pay for that.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Only year of note was his contract year which lead to him being massively over paid. Other than that he was average at best which is fine if you are being paid like an average player but get top tier pay then you better deliver top tier play.

I think they were giving him one last year to show he was at all worth the money on a defense where any stand out performance makes you look like a superstar.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I’m sure Caserio wanted to trade Mercilus in the off-season but had no takers. Caserio extends Mercilus contract to help with the 2021 cap and hold out hope that Mercilus plays himself into being of trade value. Mercilus didn’t deliver and the Texans couldn’t trade him. Dice didn’t come up 7’s and/or at least a RD7…..so Caserio has cut him in order to give the playing time to Greenard.

I would be surprised to see both Mercilus and Roberts snatched up this or next week.

Back at you

What's so is the Texans could have the most cap space in the NFL until 2023 at the earliest and it wouldn't matter one bit as far as W/L's go and you know this.
OB/Easterby was a terrible combination for managing an NFL team. The Texans should have hired an established consultant for GM matters as soon as OB was fired but that is in the past. Before the season it should have been understood that they were not going to compete at a level equivalent to winning anything. They should have taken their salary lumps THIS year regardless of the situation with Derrick. The only way I give Caserio a pass on these salary miscues is if he had to maneuver contracts in order to meet the cap for this year while having the required amount of players. If you are fixating on 2023, wouldn't you want the most money available to you? That money pushed into 2022 could have been eaten now and whatever not spent in 2022 could roll over into 2023 for an even larger amount of availability.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OB/Easterby was a terrible combination for managing an NFL team. The Texans should have hired an established consultant for GM matters as soon as OB was fired but that is in the past. Before the season it should have been understood that they were not going to compete at a level equivalent to winning anything. They should have taken their salary lumps THIS year regardless of the situation with Derrick. The only way I give Caserio a pass on these salary miscues is if he had to maneuver contracts in order to meet the cap for this year while having the required amount of players. If you are fixating on 2023, wouldn't you want the most money available to you? That money pushed into 2022 could have been eaten now and whatever not spent in 2022 could roll over into 2023 for an even larger amount of availability.
Why not roll 2021 money over until 2024 or 2025? That's when if the Texans are lucky they will become a franchise fa's might want to come too.

This has been my point all along. What good is cap space when the fa's don't want to play on your team? Unless you're all about saving Cal's money.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
On March 24, 2021 Nick Caserio restructured $6MM of Mercilus salary. His 2021 salary is guaranteed. I advocated at the time that Caserio just needed to cut or trade Whitney Mercilus (responsible rebuilding). If he had done so it would've saved $7MM in dead cap money in 2022. This is just another Caserio FUBAR. You can add this to what has now become a very long list of Caserio FUBARS. If it wasn't already, it is now clear that Nick Caserio has absolutely no idea what he is doing.
Thanks for this. Mercilus should have been released by the new GM if he knew what he was doing.

Texans fans expecting the pumpkin to turn into a magic carriage in 2022 are going to be in for a long wait. But hey, unicorn wishes and all that jazz. :homer:

But at least they will have a lovely "culture", whatever the eff that is supposed to mean in Kyle World.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Thanks for this. Mercilus should have been released by the new GM if he knew what he was doing.

Texans fans expecting the pumpkin to turn into a magic carriage in 2022 are going to be in for a long wait. But hey, unicorn wishes and all that jazz. :homer:

But at least they will have a lovely "culture", whatever the eff that is supposed to mean in Kyle World.
I'm finding the same people keep making these two statements:

1. OB completely destroyed this franchise as both a coach and GM for the next decade

2. If Caserio knew what he was doing he could have this franchise turned around in one year

Most of the people on board with the Caserio hire are fully aware and accept that this is a multi-year process.

Texian

Hall of Fame

1. OB completely destroyed this franchise as both a coach and GM for the next decade

2. If Caserio knew what he was doing he could have this franchise turned around in one year

Most of the people on board with the Caserio hire are fully aware and accept that this is a multi-year process.
What us Caserio people are saying is no we don't expect him to turn the franchise around in one year. What we're saying is if he knew what he was doing he could clean house in one year, not 2 or 3. Creating $25MM in dead money, only having to restructure every contract you can in order to sign enough players to fill out the roster is complete and utter buffoonery.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
What us Caserio people are saying is no we don't expect him to turn the franchise around in one year. What we're saying is if he knew what he was doing he could clean house in one year, not 2 or 3. Creating $25MM in dead money, only having to restructure every contract you can in order to sign enough players to fill out the roster is complete and utter buffoonery.
I've never met you and for all I know you could be Elliot Wolf himself. But if you're asking me who I trust more to run an NFL team, I'm going with Caserio who had two decades with the most successful franchise during that time over any armchair GM around here who wants to declare him an abject failure after one off-season and six games played.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What we're saying is if he knew what he was doing he could clean house in one year, not 2 or 3. Creating $25MM in dead money,
I think he wanted to repair the relationship between his QB & his team, as he should. He attempted to put together a competitive team while not committing himself to fringe players for too long.

We'll never know, but this team may have been capable of winning the AFCSouth with Watson.

Arguably they could compete for the division with Tyrod.

With a rookie QB ad green as Mills this team won't be competitive but with the worse teams in the NFL.

Point: we have to remember his first priority was keeping his franchise QB.

Knowing now that relationship is all but severed, I doubt he would approach the upcoming offseason the way he approached the past offseason. At least I hope. But we'll see.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think he wanted to repair the relationship between his QB & his team, as he should. He attempted to put together a competitive team while not committing himself to fringe players for too long.

We'll never know, but this team may have been capable of winning the AFCSouth with Watson.

Arguably they could compete for the division with Tyrod.

With a rookie QB ad green as Mills this team won't be competitive but with the worse teams in the NFL.

Point: we have to remember his first priority was keeping his franchise QB.

Knowing now that relationship is all but severed, I doubt he would approach the upcoming offseason the way he approached the past offseason. At least I hope. But we'll see.
Agreed, I don't think the Texans in general and Caserio in particular knew how bad the situation with Watson really was. They most likely figured he had been partying to hard, was mad about the horrible losing season and wanted to see real changes. Lets not forget Watson took off on vacation and was completely out of pocket and then wouldn't take their calls when he got back. If they knew what was coming I don't think they would have done things like kept Kelly as OC or possibly even hired Culley whom Watson was said to have worked well with and liked at the Pro Bowl. As you said we'll never know but the up coming off season and draft will tell a lot.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I don't expect anything from this organization, simply because I believe the owner is an incompetent, ignorant, silver-spooned nincompoop. It was HIS decisions that ultimately empowered O'Brien to destroy this franchise.

As far as Caserio, my jury is out, but he is clearly not the brain behind the Patriots dynasty. He was a cog in their machine, and it remains to be seen if he can build this franchise into anything competitive. Based on the limited data-set we've seen so far, I'm not impressed. He's learning on the job. This is a decade rebuild when considering the learning curves for the GM and HC. Both are in over their heads right now. JMO.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I've never met you and for all I know you could be Elliot Wolf himself. But if you're asking me who I trust more to run an NFL team, I'm going with Caserio who had two decades with the most successful franchise during that time over any armchair GM around here who wants to declare him an abject failure after one off-season and six games played.
So did Scott Pioli, Bill O'Brien, Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, Bob Quinn, Jim Schwartz, Al Groh, John Robinson, Thomas Dimitroff and lest we not forget that it was Bob Kraft who threw Nick Caserio under the bus for the dismal decade of Patriot draft picks. What we have learned from such a long list of failures is Belichick assistants are good coaches and terrible head coaches and a Belichick clerks basically know how to fill out a scouting report to meet Belichick's specifications and make a terrible GMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.