Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Who said we were not all on the same page? Once again I did not say Schaub was the Texans best chance to win in 2014, Marshall Faulk did. I think it is safe to say Schaub's days in Houston are over. And I have also said in other posts that it was time to change. I also said I would get behind whomever is selected to lead the Texans.

It's everyone else trying to make it out like I made the comment, and am suggesting Schaub should get another chance. Which never happened. Personally I think some of these guys feelings are hurt because of some of the things I said about their hero Case Keenum, and him not being able to muster even a single win has them a bit touchy. After all they all swore he would light it up. They were also the same crowd who said if the Texans had a mobile QB, our problems were solved. Some of the same dudes also said Kubiak was done, and would never work in the NFL again.

I know my feelings were hurt over comments made about my hero Case Keenum. :overreact:

He did light it up at first. Nobody can argue otherwise with any credibility. Like I said above though and I'll elaborate just a bit here the team finally hit quit-mode. When Keenum came in and had those very, very good (but not quite good enough) games against KC, Indy, and Arizona I think the losing streak began to take on a new meaning. Here the team had finally moved on past Matt Schaub and I think many of them thought that the change would produce. It didn't (for a number of reasons not the least of which was an often MIA running game due to injuries) and that's when quit-mode kicked in. Not everyone. Not all at once. Just enough doubt and frustration and good old fashioned apathy to keep that last bit of the season in the ditch.

Case didn't get a fair shot. I believe that. I also believe that nobody in the NFL gets promised a fair shot and most prospective players don't even really get a shot at all. On all 32 teams more guys go home it seems than stay on the team. Case had as good a chance as anyone can expect. It just wasn't in the cards this time around. He played well, he played poorly. The same can be said of just about every first time starter. He had a shot and the clock was ticking.

You have to be able to accept that stuff though and move on when the player you like doesn't succeed just like we move on when guys we don't care about fall short. Every year a pack of them shows up, gives it their best shot, and ends up going home. Can't fall in love with any one player because the team marches on.

Matt Schaub? I think he'll be battling for the backup or third-string job on the quarterback depth chart going into training camp next season. For the Baltimore Ravens that is.

Matt Schaub? I think he'll be battling for the backup or third-string job on the quarterback depth chart going into training camp next season. For the Baltimore Ravens that is.

Whether you like Schaub or not, I think you'd have to admit he'd be one hell of a good backup QB. That is if he's willing to work cheap. There is no way he is worth the kind of money that's in his contract right now.

Questioning whether or not I am a Texans fan is beyond ridiculous. Don't be a douche.

Gary is a good dude, and good at what he does, and I hope he has success in Baltimore, and yeah I will probably be secretly rooting for him when he comes to Reliant in 2014 for a little payback for the lousy way he was let go from the Texans.
Anyone who has read your posts knows it's no "secret" that you will be rooting against the Texans when Kubiak and or Schaub come to town to play the Texans. Have fun on the Ravens boards, calling for Kubiak and Schaub to replace Harbaugh and Flacco.

Anyone who has read your posts knows it's no "secret" that you will be rooting against the Texans when Kubiak and or Schaub come to town to play the Texans. Have fun on the Ravens boards, calling for Kubiak and Schaub to replace Harbaugh and Flacco.

There you go speaking for everyone again. Also nice job of exaggerating what I posted. Talk about being too sensitive.

I rarely post on that board, and I am pretty sure I will not be there posting garbage like that. I said it was a possibility that Kubiak could become HC there, that is all. Don't be putting words in my mouth.

Schaub does not even play for the Ravens, and it is some of you suggesting that is where he will end up, not me.

Personally it is none of your business who I root for, or why. All you are trying to do is taint my character, or question whether or not I am a Texans fan, which is hilarious. Why the hell would I spend my precious time posting on the Texans board if I were a fan of some other team? Don't bother answering, it's a rhetorical question.

In regards to cheering for Kubiak when the Ravens come to Reliant this season, yeah as I said in a previous post, I probably will. But it will be more cheering against db's like you and your ilk for trashing a man who gave everything he had when he was a Texan, and did a lot for the team, that you and others seem to want to pretend never happened, or re-write the history books on what really did happen.

Stop being such a cry baby. It's just a game dude.

And is light yrs better than Schaub.

You are high aren't you? You are taking bong rips right now aren't you?

You cannot be serious about this. Schaub had a rough season but saying hrs is light years better than Schaub is an absolute joke of a comment.

Agreed, but you will have to get used to all the Schaub bashing that goes on here Joe. According to most here, Schaub is the worst QB to ever play football. Some here would rather have the butt fumbler than Schaub, so that tells you where their head is.

And is light yrs better than Schaub.

There was a time when I believed this. Before his injury (Carson's, not Schaub's) when he had Houshmandzadah & Ocho... actually it was before Ocho Cinco...... Chad Johnson. That was one heck of a QB. But since then....... not so much.

My personal opinion.

-Don't want to commit to any of the QB prospects coming out this draft. Would rather have Clowney or Matthews. Strong belief in the "...in the trenches".

-Don't want to commit to any of the FA QBs either.

-Hate Schaub's salary but would be worse to take cap hit and cut him.

-I've been done with Schaub for some time now but the question has always begged in the back of my mind, "Could it be Kubiak that restricts Schaub"...sort of the "chick or the egg".

-Trying Schaub out one more year, you've completed the entire "process of elimination" by firing Kubiak and depending on the type of season Schaub has under O'Brian...you can somewhat put things to bed. If Schaub sucks....DONE! No second-guessing yourself. If he does well....then you benefit and can safely assume it lied on Kubiak's ultra-conservative approach.

-EVEN IF Schaub does well under O'Brian...DO NOT....I REPEAT.....DO NOT recommit to him under any circumstances. I don't care if he takes us to the AFC Championshiop...the best in Houston NFL history. Do not commit any further to him.

-If he does well, it allows you to filter through the other aspects of the team that held you back some, be it players at different spots or coaches or their approach. This is something of vital importance you wouldn't be able to do if you either did away with Schaub, ate the cap hit and commit to the wrong FA ior rookie drafted QB as the QB performance would eclipse or sort of distract the appropriate attention away from the other aspects of the team that are lacking. After all, QB is the most important position.

-If he sucks....you know what to do. By this time (perhaps a season later), you can safely put that issue to bed, you move on without any reservations. The cap hit is now drastically reduced. Potentially better FA QBs are on the market or possibly better QB prospects in the draft or at least one O'Brian eyes as HIS GUY. And vice-versa to the previous statement, you find out if other aspects of the game (players/coaches/approaches) were so strong that even despite the lack of positive QB play, those aspects showed tremendous strength and will, keeping the team in the game. That can be a good thing also.

O'Brian is said to be a great offensive mind and a QB guru. But we've heard that before and didn't bear much fruit. We're 0 for 1 with "QB guru"ism. Hopefully we're 1 for 2 with O'Brian and we can at least get decent production at the QB spot regardless of what name is on the back of the jersey. With that said, as much as I've chastised Schaub's name...if O'Brian decides to test it out with Schaub, not feeling too good about the rookie QB prospects, getting something out of the cap hit Vs. cutting him....even if it doesn't result in wins but however does clear things up for him in other ways and still proves to be just as valuable......then I'm up FOR that.

Would make sense to me. I'm sure most wouldn't be able to wrap their heads around it due to last year's results and how disgusted they are with Schaub. But this guy here thinks there's benefits to everything, no matter how grim things are. O'Brian's new here and I'm backing his decisions from the get go. My support may dimish as time goes on, as it did with Kubes....but for now...I'm in 100% until he forces me not to.

My personal opinion.

-Don't want to commit to any of the QB prospects coming out this draft. Would rather have Clowney or Matthews. Strong belief in the "...in the trenches".

-Don't want to commit to any of the FA QBs either.

-I've been done with Schaub for some time now but the question has always begged in the back of my mind, "Could it be Kubiak that restricts Schaub"...sort of the "chick or the egg".

-Trying Schaub out one more year, you've completed the entire "process of elimination" by firing Kubiak and depending on the type of season Schaub has under O'Brian...you can somewhat put things to bed. If Schaub sucks....DONE! No second-guessing yourself. If he does well....then you benefit and can safely assume it lied on Kubiak's ultra-conservative approach.

-EVEN IF Schaub does well under O'Brian...DO NOT....I REPEAT.....DO NOT recommit to him under any circumstances. I don't care if he takes us to the AFC Championshiop...the best in Houston NFL history. Do not commit any further to him.

-If he does well, it allows you to filter through the other aspects of the team that held you back some, be it players at different spots or coaches or their approach. This is something of vital importance you wouldn't be able to do if you either did away with Schaub, ate the cap hit and commit to the wrong FA ior rookie drafted QB as the QB performance would eclipse or sort of distract the appropriate attention away from the other aspects of the team that are lacking. After all, QB is the most important position.

-If he sucks....you know what to do. By this time (perhaps a season later), you can safely put that issue to bed, you move on without any reservations. The cap hit is now drastically reduced. Potentially better FA QBs are on the market or possibly better QB prospects in the draft or at least one O'Brian eyes as HIS GUY. And vice-versa to the previous statement, you find out if other aspects of the game (players/coaches/approaches) were so strong that even despite the lack of positive QB play, those aspects showed tremendous strength and will, keeping the team in the game. That can be a good thing also.

O'Brian is said to be a great offensive mind and a QB guru. But we've heard that before and didn't bear much fruit. We're 0 for 1 with "QB guru"ism. Hopefully we're 1 for 2 with O'Brian and we can at least get decent production at the QB spot regardless of what name is on the back of the jersey. With that said, as much as I've chastised Schaub's name...if O'Brian decides to test it out with Schaub, not feeling too good about the rookie QB prospects, getting something out of the cap hit Vs. cutting him....even if it doesn't result in wins but however does clear things up for him in other ways and still proves to be just as valuable......then I'm up FOR that.

Would make sense to me. I'm sure most wouldn't be able to wrap their heads around it due to last year's results and how disgusted they are with Schaub. But this guy here thinks there's benefits to everything, no matter how grim things are. O'Brian's new here and I'm backing his decisions from the get go. My support may dimish as time goes on, as it did with Kubes....but for now...I'm in 100% until he forces me not to.

Your opinion is logical and rational. I see your point.

But, it's sometimes better to scrap the whole thing and start all over.

This team has, for years, too often put off what needs to be done, often under the idea of giving player/coach x "one more year."

Nine times out of ten, that hasn't worked out, and usually the person we've given one more year to does not improve.

Is it possible Schaub was held back by Kubiak? Yes. Is it possible he could thrive under O'Brien? Yes. But I don't care. We have a new coach, who has a new system and wants to train his own QB. Let's get started on that RIGHT NOW rather than wait a year, see IF Schaub works and then drafting a QB next year. A draft, mind you, that we have no idea where we will be picking.

No, it's best to just move on from Schaub, and let him move on in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh! With Bill O'Brien and Romeo being disciples of Belicheat, I think they may trade that #1 pick away, stockpiling future picks. Again, this is a fairly good draft class for QB's, so that they don't have to go "all in" on any one QB. AJ McCarron would be fine (not to mention his GF Katherine Webb -or- his mom Dee Dee Bonner.... *that would be sweet*

Matt Schaub is no longer an option. Irrespective of the "cap hit" I think the Texans and O'Brien will cut ties, cut him outright.

****EDIT****

Schaub will be a starter in Dallas at some point.

Why would it be worse to take the cap hit for cutting Schaub? He will count $14.5 million against the cap if he's on the 2014 roster. Even if they take all of his dead money on the 2014 cap, Schaub would count $10.5 million. That's a $4 million cap savings. If they decide to designate Schaub a June 1st cut, there's only $3.5 million in dead money in 2014 ($7 million in 2015). That would be an $11 million cap savings. I don't see anything "worse" about that.

Why would it be worse to take the cap hit for cutting Schaub? He will count $14.5 million against the cap if he's on the 2014 roster. Even if they take all of his dead money on the 2014 cap, Schaub would count $10.5 million. That's a $4 million cap savings. If they decide to designate Schaub a June 1st cut, there's only $3.5 million in dead money in 2014 ($7 million in 2015). That would be an $11 million cap savings. I don't see anything "worse" about that.

Until it's certain or rather until O'Brian is CERTAIN of what Schaub can or can't do in his system no one can flat out say it's $4.5 million in saving and a $10 million dead money cap hit. I don't care what anyone says, $10 million in cap space is a ton of money. A lot of players can be structured in with that much room.

If O'Brian is certain that Schaub won't cut it, sure...cut your losses and it's easily viewed as $4.5 million saved. But O'Brian could very well value the $10 million dead cap hit more than some are willing to believe. He could view it as Schaub not being $10 million cap dollars bad. Or even not as bad enough for him to take the $10M dead money hit and committing to one of these rookie QBs because that's in essence the case.

I see that here on this board along with social media that the masses talk about Schaub being released and $4.5M in saving as if it's imminent. These folks could be setting themselves up for huge disappointment. No one knows whether O'Brian values the $4.5M in cap savings over the $10M in dead money or vice versa, values the $10M cap hit over the $4.5 in cap saving, thus thinking Schaub and his contract is better than the rookie prospects.

I'm simply trying to view both sides objectively.

Last edited:
Until it's certain or rather until O'Brian is CERTAIN of what Schaub can or can't do in his system no one can flat out say it's $4.5 million in saving and a $10 million dead money cap hit. I don't care what anyone says, $10 million in cap space is a ton of money. A lot of players can be structured in with that much room.
I think you're missing the point. The question is keeping Schaub ($14.5 mil cap hit), releasing Schaub ($10.5 million cap hit), or releasing Schaub as a June 1st cut ($3.5 million cap hit in 2014, $7 million cap hit in 2015). Those are the numbers, and more cap room is available without Schaub than with.

I think the writing is on the wall that Schaub will be released once the league year starts. The owner has seen enough. He doesn't want to sell a lame duck season with Schaub as QB to the fans. I also can't see O'Brien wanting to waste a season with a QB he has no intention on keeping. Any scenario that has keeping Schaub on the roster is far-fetched, at best.

Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

So what! This morning Joe Theisman said that Keenum is the man. He knows lots more about qb's than Faulk will ever know :kitten:

I think the writing is on the wall that Schaub will be released once the league year starts. The owner has seen enough. He doesn't want to sell a lame duck season with Schaub as QB to the fans. I also can't see O'Brien wanting to waste a season with a QB he has no intention on keeping. Any scenario that has keeping Schaub on the roster is far-fetched, at best.

The existence of this thread is proof positive that Marshall Faulk is just another national talking head that doesn't know jack **** about the QB situation in Houston. I seriously doubt that he's even watched any Texans games that his network didn't broadcast. All he knows is Schaub's history. The foot injury isn't even on the national radar.

If a former player that's also a film junkie like Ron Jaworski said that Matt Schaub gives the Texans the best chance to win, then that opinion would hold some water. Jaworksi watches film. Faulk argues with other ex-jocks in a studio.

McNair told us all we needed to know when he said Keenum would be starting the rest of the season. Once he said that, Schaub's fate was sealed. Anyone who thinks that Schaub might be on the roster next year is in denial.

CND told us what to expect after the Lisfranc injury happened and it's come to pass. I expect him to get released and not pass a physical for other teams as soon as they see the x-rays.

Fire, meet gas.

CND told us what to expect after the Lisfranc injury happened and it's come to pass. I expect him to get released and not pass a physical for other teams as soon as they see the x-rays.

He'll pass a physical just fine. The legacy will weigh heavily in considering him however.

If O'Brian is certain that Schaub won't cut it, sure...cut your losses and it's easily viewed as $4.5 million saved. But O'Brian could very well value the $10 million dead cap hit more than some are willing to believe. He could view it as Schaub not being $10 million cap dollars bad. Or even not as bad enough for him to take the $10M dead money hit and committing to one of these rookie QBs because that's in essence the case.

I see that here on this board along with social media that the masses talk about Schaub being released and $4.5M in saving as if it's imminent. These folks could be setting themselves up for huge disappointment. No one knows whether O'Brian values the $4.5M in cap savings over the $10M in dead money or vice versa, values the $10M cap hit over the $4.5 in cap saving, thus thinking Schaub and his contract is better than the rookie prospects.

I'm simply trying to view both sides objectively.

Objectively it doesn't matter. Either we're spending $14M to let Schaub play out his contract, or we're taking a $10M dead money cap hit. We don't get $10M to sign anyone regardless.

Now, if they talk him into taking a paycut this year, to $1M (which I don't think he would go that low) then Schaub's cap for 2014 would be $4.5M & we save ~$10M. Then we can cut him as a 2015 June 1st cut with $3.5M dead money on 2015 & 2016.

So if OB "values" that $10M he needs to be able to sell ice to an Eskimo & talk Schaub into a $9M pay cut.

I get what you guys are saying and agreed. However, when I bring up the idea of OB valuing the $10M, I didn't mean he would be free to use it on other bodies. I referred to it as $10M from a pure principle standpoint. To be more clear, it involves OB getting production (staying with Schaub for the time being) out of the $10M versus it being dead money, regardless of it being positive or unimpressive production. The positive of either were explained in my initial post, one page back.

$10M is $10M of cap space, any way you slice it. Whether it's in one year, two years, etc...it's $10M, and in this case, $10.5 to be exact, in a span of two years. I only bring these points up only to heavily weigh the possibilities that come with either decision.

Now, for some, it's a matter of cutting Matt Schaub just for the sake of cutting him. To some the cap figures matter to varying degrees whereas others want him gone, regardless of the impact it has on it.

For me personally (and not implying that you all are), I don't see a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck available in either FA or upcoming draft. It's all speculation as to how OB sees Schaub. And while it sure looks like the writing was on the wall for Schaub when McNair decided that Keenum would bench Schaub in favor of Keenum playing out the season, IMO, doesn't exactly seal his fate for this team. I don't know about you guys...but I don't want McNair deciding who the QB is for this team from a pure performance/scouting standpoint. I trust OB making that decision...not McNair. Sure McNair could force him...but it's bad for business.

I've never been high on Schaub, even in his best seasons. But neither do I think he's trash. If I were to label him out of the two...I'd say he's what he was a few years back, a comptetent QB. What if OB sees it that way himself? Hell, he might be done with him, alright. But until its official, I don't think it's asinine to to entertain the possibility of OB retaining Schaub for some of the reasons laid on the table.

It's uncertain as to the type of system/offense OB will run. Who his offensive coordinator, if any, will be. We know nothing. Until then, as to what happens to Matt Schaub is pure conjecture, no more...no less. So how can anyone say for sure.

I've never been high on Schaub, even in his best seasons. But neither do I think he's trash. If I were to label him out of the two...I'd say he's what he was a few years back, a comptetent QB.

Schaub has gotten progressively worse since week 10 of the 012 season. If he was the qb he was in 2011 before his injury, it wouldn't even be considered to release him. But he's not!

Schaub has gotten progressively worse since week 10 of the 012 season. If he was the qb he was in 2011 before his injury, it wouldn't even be considered to release him. But he's not!

I can 100% agree with this. People who act like Schaub has ALWAYS been garbage need to brush up some knowledge.
Also, Schaub at his best was a far superior QB than Keenum at his. That being said, Keenum is the only QB who should be on this roster at the start of the next season.

I can 100% agree with this. People who act like Schaub has ALWAYS been garbage need to brush up some knowledge.
Also, Schaub at his best was a far superior QB than Keenum at his. That being said, Keenum is the only QB who should be on this roster at the start of the next season.

We have no idea what we have in Yates, and no idea how O'Brien will view them. I'm thinking that Yates and Keenum will be given a good look in training camp

We have no idea what we have in Yates, and no idea how O'Brien will view them. I'm thinking that Yates and Keenum will be given a good look in training camp

I agree that Yates will be on the roster, I football however think we have seen what we have in Yates, albeit a small sample size. In my opinion he's Jay Feeley. I mean he can maybe get it done in a pinch, but he's nowhere near capable enough to get you where you want. I know when he played the last half of 2011 the team wasn't at full strength with Dre being out & OD missing some time. I don't care about his TD/INT ratio( sample size IS to small for that), but his accuracy is atrocious in the intermediate range where you HAVE to be at least decent. His decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He's capable enough to tear it up in the preseason, buut that's against other teams 2's & 3's. He will be on the team next season but he's probably no better than a 3.

It's possible that he's right, but I seriously doubt Marshall has done his homework on this or any Texans topic.

The Doc knows...
If you believe that Schaub was always dealing with injuries, try to remember that Yates has proven to be quite fragile dating back to 2011.........dealing with shoulder problems (including a separation on one side), and throwing elbow and back problems since 2012.......and most of this after very little game play and very sparse practice time. There was good reason why Yates was given such little consideration for real game time after the 2011 season.......and did so poorly in his very limited 2012 and 2013 game appearances And there is no reason to believe that these type of mounting problems won't continue their course, and his performance continue to be unacceptable.

[This is not to even mention his Tar Heels experience where he was stricken with ankle sprains, ankle fracture, throwing shoulder problems leading to surgery, and, of course, his infamous thumb sprain incurred while playing Frisbee. The latter made national news due to the panzy-sounding event. He later tried to explain that he incurred it with a redshirt teammate in a informal non-contact "redshirt football" activity (which would be bad enough).]

Yates appears to be a walking MASH unit...
...makes me wonder if Yates was nursing some undisclosed "nick" (we know how open and forthcoming the Texans always are regarding telling all about player injuries :D) and that played into why Keenum leap-frogged him...

Last edited:
Well I think it`s true, Schaub gives us the best chance to win. It is hard to win with a rookie QB and I don`t think there is any FA QB worth investing heavily in.

Schaub was a good QB for us before last season. But he was never the QB that would help us win in the playoffs. He was a guy that you could win with if you have the right team around him.

Last season he imploded. Part of it was the O-Line, a huge part of it was mental. Could he get back to his old, adequate days? Maybe. But it would be really hard for him to do that in Houston, because I don`t think many Texans fans would welcome him back with open arms.

Now it might be smart to bring him back to tutor a rookie QB and allow him to sit and learn for the first season or 8 games or so. But it would take a big financial investment. That`s why I don`t think he will be back. Lately rookie QBs start right away and do good. I´m betting this will be our route going forward.

We have no idea what we have in Yates

Disagree.

We got enough of a sample the last few years to see what he has. Could he have performed different behind a better O-line? Maybe, but we can see this kid isn't the second coming, or going to be elite in this league. I don't think he is here next year, and Case is the back-up. O'Briens offense has typically been geared toward the prototypical size and strengths of the pocket QB. If he is going to adjust that philosophy, it wont be for Yates or Case ... but it might be for Johnny Football ...

Matt gives us the best chance to be 8-8 O YEAHHH !!!!

I've been a lukewarm Kubiak supporter; believing him not to be as bad as "everyone" says & rooting for him to prove everyone wrong.

That said, with Matt Schaub & a better game day coach, we could have had a lot more success over the last 7 years... at least that's what I believe.

I'm not saying I want Schaub back; my desire to see him prove everyone wrong is nowhere near high enough to not want to move forward with a new QB.

smdh....

battered wife syndrome in effect here.

Abusive husband = Matt Schaub

Abused Wife = delusional texan fans who still want schaub on the team.

one star given and lost credibility by faulk. Ill be taking what he says on NFLN with a huge grain of salt from now on.

im outta here. nothing has changed.

You cannot be serious about this. Schaub had a rough season but saying hrs is light years better than Schaub is an absolute joke of a comment.

Tell me has Palmer played light yrs better than Schaub since game 10 2012?

Palmer is a very good QB with a great HC, that has taken a Cards team to a 10-6 record in the best division in the NFL.

Schaub? Sets an NFL record for pick 6's and gets benched. Yeah, I would say light yrs is an appropriate term.

Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

So what! This morning Joe Theisman said that Keenum is the man. He knows lots more about qb's than Faulk will ever know :kitten:

He would be the first one pissing on the Texans for not trying to upgrade the position after the first pick six too.

We have to cut Schaub and I don't care if we go 2-14 next year we have to get rid of that goofy ass contract they gave him in order to give this team a chance in the future.

Tell me has Palmer played light yrs better than Schaub since game 10 2012?

Palmer is a very good QB with a great HC, that has taken a Cards team to a 10-6 record in the best division in the NFL.

Schaub? Sets an NFL record for pick 6's and gets benched. Yeah, I would say light yrs is an appropriate term.

The Arizona Cardinals went 10-6 in spite of Palmer. He wasn't that good and if the Cardinals would've benched him if they had a better option. He only had 2 more TD's than INT's (24-22). Against teams that made the playoffs he threw 12 touchdowns to 16 interceptions. His supporting cast was comparable to Schaubs on offense but Arizona had one of the better most opportunistic defenses in the NFL and a better head coach. That's why they went 10-6.
Schaub had a rough season no doubt, but his problems weren't exclusively due to him. Injuries to key players, piss poor headcoaching and playcalling.That combined with his mentality after everything started snowballing all contributed.
I'm not defending the guy from his mistakes and I agree he needs to go, butI'm also not so spiteful to the guy that I let my knowledge of the game be blinded by it. To say Palmer is LIGHTYEARS better than Schaub IS a joke to peopke who know the game and pay attention.

I have always had the theory that Schaub’s biomechanics are inherently imbalanced, and therefore unstable. I base this on the postural misalignment evident in all of his team photos. I’m sure some of you have noticed it too, but I’ve never seen a discussion here on how it could affect his mechanics.

In the pictures below, the yellow lines are a square X and Y axis anchored in the center of the collarbone. The vertical blue line is the diverted angle of the cervical spine (neck) from the Y axis. Halfway through the vertical blue line, there is one vector point where it changes direction back to 0 degrees, indicating a compensatory tilt in the head. The vector point is placed at the base of the nose since that is approximately where the base of the skull meets the spine.

figure-1-and-2_zps816ed65f.jpg

In figure 1, the horizontal blue line follows the estimated tilt in the collarbone. The tilt is only estimated since the jersey conceals the necessary reference points to track it accurately.

Figure 2 confirms that the misalignment on a younger Schaub to indicate that it has always been present.

Below, the figure on the left illustrates how his neck is tilting, and how the head tilts to compensate. On the right is an example of a neck with a normal vertical angle.

neck_zps9faf0dd1.jpg

With a neck diverted to that degree, one would expect a compensatory curvature in the thoracic (middle) and lumbar (lower) spine. This often results in a tilting of the collarbone and pelvis, which would cause one arm to drop lower, and one leg to strike the ground harder when running. Below is an example of how a tilted neck is an indication of compensatory misalignments throughout the rest of the skeletal frame. Notice the pelvic tilt from horizontal.

spine1_zpsb427457b.jpg

Figure 1 indicated that Schaub’s collarbone and shoulders are apparently within a “normal” range of the X axis. Since I could not find any other team photos from mid-torso to compare to figure 1, I used the photo in figure 3 below, then emphasized the negative (black) space in figure 4 to demonstrate how uneven the shoulders hang. Also note differences in the shapes of the negative space around the neck.

figure-3-and-4_zpsfcc00e1f.jpg

For contrast, let’s look at the alignment of a random teammate, TJ Yates. His neck alignment isn’t perfect, but it’s about the best you could expect from anyone, much less a football player. Considering the daily effects of sitting on the bench, hunching over film study, and lurking on Texans Talk, TJ’s doing pretty good here. This cervical alignment is Texans worthy.

TJYates_zps04fab733.jpg

Question 1: Assuming that Schaub’s frame is as imbalanced as I’m theorizing, why does that mean his mechanics are unstable? That is because a quarterback throw is a motion of the entire body, much like boxing or baseball pitching. If you have ever taken boxing, you know that a good instructor coaches you on the form of your entire body to achieve an efficient transfer of energy from the planting toe to the fist. Power and accuracy are lost if your mechanics are inefficient.

Question 2: What makes me an expert on biomechanics? Not much. I’m presenting data, and this is my conclusion. I also have spinal misalignment, and my X-rays confirm a tilt in my collarbone and hips. It does not prohibit weight training, but long distance running is painful. Since I notice the imbalance in my own posture, I notice it in other people too.

Question 3: Is it possible that I am projecting my own spinal condition onto Schaub? Possibly, but from what I’ve researched, compensatory misalignments in the spine follow a predictable trend. I've never seen a case of only a crooked neck without a compensatory curve in the thoracic or lumbar spine. Also, this fact is revealing to me: I would not have been able to play football due risk of back or hip injury, but Schaub’s degree of misalignment is worse than mine.

Question 4: Why wasn’t Schaub’s mechanical imbalance a prohibitive factor before 2013? Because Schaub is a hard worker who overcame any mechanical issues during his developmental years. My theory asserts that his mechanics were only unstable, not consistently unreliable. Today, his mechanics are deteriorated because he is planting on a foot that is sending slightly inaccurate messages to his head. That is what this all comes down to: The foot isn’t doing exactly what his brain thinks it is, and his coordination can no longer compensate for the imbalanced mechanics.

So there is my theory. It is founded more on my experience and observations than on academic study, so take it for what it's worth. I also look forward to CnD either confirming or shredding it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the SB yet but givin Wilson play imma say now Keenum gives us the best chance to win him or Teddy or Manziel ...... LOL

I'm sorry, but with all due respect to MF, he is completely wrong. MS is done and is the reason this season went into the toilet. He is terrible and needs a 1 way ticket out of Houston. I'm thankful to MS for his help in getting us the 1st pick in the draft.

marshall is 100% right.

schaub allows us to suck for many years and stack up high draft picks then build a great team without a franchise qb, then draft a qb in the later rounds and become an elite team like the 9ers and the seahawks and get to the super bowl

I think you're missing the point. The question is keeping Schaub ($14.5 mil cap hit), releasing Schaub ($10.5 million cap hit), or releasing Schaub as a June 1st cut ($3.5 million cap hit in 2014, $7 million cap hit in 2015). Those are the numbers, and more cap room is available without Schaub than with.

The $10.5M dead money against the cap is gone no matter what we do. All we can do is shift the years it is counted against. The actual savings is the Base Salary and Roster Bonuses for the remainder of his contract.

According to Over-the Cap, the numbers have changed a bit by a reduction in Roster Bonus from previous reports. The latest are:

2014 Base Salary $10M
2014 Roster Bonus $625K
2014 Cap Savings $10.625M

2015 Base Salary $12.5M
2015 Roster Bonus $1M
2015 Cap Savings $13.5M

2016 Base Salary $14.5M
2016 Roster Bonus $1M
2016 Cap Savings $15.5M

Total Base Salary $37M
Total Roster Bonus $2.625M
Total Cap Savings $39.625M

Just for clarity, these are over and above the $10.5M dead money from the Signing Bonus.

The financial decision boils down to whether Schaub is worth $10.625M in 2014 or some renegotiated amount. All the other numbers are superfluous. The interesting thing about the changes is that the effect on the 2014 Cap has been drastically reduced. $10.625M minus $10.5M Dead Money = .125M difference. But the 2015 $13.5M and 2016 $15.5M Cap Savings are not reduced by dead money.

Do not be confused by the charts which throw $3.5M of dead money back into the Cap Savings figure. They will report $3.625M in Cap Savings and shift the remaining $7M dead money to 2015 and 2016.

Last edited:
I have always had the theory that Schaub’s biomechanics are inherently imbalanced, and therefore unstable. I base this on the postural misalignment evident in all of his team photos. I’m sure some of you have noticed it too, but I’ve never seen a discussion here on how it could affect his mechanics.

In the pictures below, the yellow lines are a square X and Y axis anchored in the center of the collarbone. The vertical blue line is the diverted angle of the cervical spine (neck) from the Y axis. Halfway through the vertical blue line, there is one vector point where it changes direction back to 0 degrees, indicating a compensatory tilt in the head. The vector point is placed at the base of the nose since that is approximately where the base of the skull meets the spine.

figure-1-and-2_zps816ed65f.jpg

In figure 1, the horizontal blue line follows the estimated tilt in the collarbone. The tilt is only estimated since the jersey conceals the necessary reference points to track it accurately.

Figure 2 confirms that the misalignment on a younger Schaub to indicate that it has always been present.

Below, the figure on the left illustrates how his neck is tilting, and how the head tilts to compensate. On the right is an example of a neck with a normal vertical angle.

neck_zps9faf0dd1.jpg

With a neck diverted to that degree, one would expect a compensatory curvature in the thoracic (middle) and lumbar (lower) spine. This often results in a tilting of the collarbone and pelvis, which would cause one arm to drop lower, and one leg to strike the ground harder when running. Below is an example of how a tilted neck is an indication of compensatory misalignments throughout the rest of the skeletal frame. Notice the pelvic tilt from horizontal.

spine1_zpsb427457b.jpg

Figure 1 indicated that Schaub’s collarbone and shoulders are apparently within a “normal” range of the X axis. Since I could not find any other team photos from mid-torso to compare to figure 1, I used the photo in figure 3 below, then emphasized the negative (black) space in figure 4 to demonstrate how uneven the shoulders hang. Also note differences in the shapes of the negative space around the neck.

figure-3-and-4_zpsfcc00e1f.jpg

For contrast, let’s look at the alignment of a random teammate, TJ Yates. His neck alignment isn’t perfect, but it’s about the best you could expect from anyone, much less a football player. Considering the daily effects of sitting on the bench, hunching over film study, and lurking on Texans Talk, TJ’s doing pretty good here. This cervical alignment is Texans worthy.

TJYates_zps04fab733.jpg

Question 1: Assuming that Schaub’s frame is as imbalanced as I’m theorizing, why does that mean his mechanics are unstable? That is because a quarterback throw is a motion of the entire body, much like boxing or baseball pitching. If you have ever taken boxing, you know that a good instructor coaches you on the form of your entire body to achieve an efficient transfer of energy from the planting toe to the fist. Power and accuracy are lost if your mechanics are inefficient.

Question 2: What makes me an expert on biomechanics? Not much. I’m presenting data, and this is my conclusion. I also have spinal misalignment, and my X-rays confirm a tilt in my collarbone and hips. It does not prohibit weight training, but long distance running is painful. Since I notice the imbalance in my own posture, I notice it in other people too.

Question 3: Is it possible that I am projecting my own spinal condition onto Schaub? Possibly, but from what I’ve researched, compensatory misalignments in the spine follow a predictable trend. I've never seen a case of only a crooked neck without a compensatory curve in the thoracic or lumbar spine. Also, this fact is revealing to me: I would not have been able to play football due risk of back or hip injury, but Schaub’s degree of misalignment is worse than mine.

Question 4: Why wasn’t Schaub’s mechanical imbalance a prohibitive factor before 2013? Because Schaub is a hard worker who overcame any mechanical issues during his developmental years. My theory asserts that his mechanics were only unstable, not consistently unreliable. Today, his mechanics are deteriorated because he is planting on a foot that is sending slightly inaccurate messages to his head. That is what this all comes down to: The foot isn’t doing exactly what his brain thinks it is, and his coordination can no longer compensate for the imbalanced mechanics.

So there is my theory. It is founded more on my experience and observations than on academic study, so take it for what it's worth. I also look forward to CnD either confirming or shredding it.

Yea, I see what you mean... No wonder Foster needed back surgery!

290rae1.jpg

Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Back