Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mario Williams

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Mario is two sacks away from the franchise record for sacks by a player. Kailee Wong currently holds the record at 15.

Mario is only in his second year, too. He is going to be adding on to that record for a while. It sure is fun having this new team and watching these records being formed.

as TJ said it is this

Konami_Code.png

Except TJ was talking about Mario Bros. This angers me as a seasoned video game geek!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Mario is two sacks away from the franchise record for sacks by a player. Kailee Wong currently holds the record at 15.

Actually isnt he only 1 away?
Wong:15
Mario last year:4.5+ Mario this year: 9.5=14
15-14=1. IE Mario is one back.

I am now going to state, for the record, that all the guys who ridiculed us can stop talking now and just let Michael Smith, and Bill Parcells cover our games from now on. They were the only two who didnt blast us into the stone age for passing on the Prince of RB and InVinceable himself.

They were the only two who didnt blast us into the stone age for passing on the Prince of RB .

i call him reggie 'the emperor' bush because of his similiarity to the emperor new clothes fairytale.. ie everybody saying how great he is eventhough if you look at him objectively, you see theres not much there at all

Yes it has. :bat:

Well its worth repeating. I wish the Texans would make a commercial to air during next years draft with Kubiak watching film of Mario Williams saying "This is for all of those Heisman Trophy winners we did not take #1 in 2006."

Well its worth repeating. I wish the Texans would make a commercial to air during next years draft with Kubiak watching film of Mario Williams saying "This is for all of those Heisman Trophy winners we did not take #1 in 2006."

It'd be cooler if it was mario watching film of himself showing sacks against various opponents but beginning with a VY sack & ending with a RB run stuffing tackle. At the end of the commercial the camera zooms in on mario's face & he says "any questions?"

It'd be cooler if it was mario watching film of himself showing sacks against various opponents but beginning with a VY sack & ending with a RB run stuffing tackle. At the end of the commercial the camera zooms in on mario's face & he says "any questions?"

Instead of any questions, maybe "Youre welcome"

Instead of any questions, maybe "Youre welcome"

Doubt any of the national corps would do this commercial.

But I'd bet my milk money that if a local company did it, then it would only be a matter of time before it was shown on bspn.

OK local businesses, you've been given the idea, run with it.

Maybe mattress Mac can donate a tv to Bush to watch Mario play.

:coffee:

I like it a lot, the "your welcome" fits perfect.

Ditto. Madden and the NFL wouldn't go for it, but the Texans marketing department could sure do it as a season ticket promo in the spring and summer. Intersperse video of Mario watching the Reggie and Vince commercials with cuts of his sacks, ending on the Reggie one with him saying, "Thanks". Then Mario could just look at the camera and say it.

Nice.

Ditto. Madden and the NFL wouldn't go for it, but the Texans marketing department could sure do it as a season ticket promo in the spring and summer. Intersperse video of Mario watching the Reggie and Vince commercials with cuts of his sacks, ending on the Reggie one with him saying, "Thanks". Then Mario could just look at the camera and say it.

Nice.

Yeah, cause its all fun a nd games when its the "lowly" Texans. God forbid you make fun of Barry Sayers...

From the Peter King piece linked above:
Vindication should be Charley Casserly's. It's still early, and we can't judge the top of the 2006 draft after 1 3/4 seasons, but the last major decision Casserly made before being nudged into the CBS NFL Today studio show (where, by the way, he's doing a thorough, cool and insightful job) has turned out to be brilliant.
This was not Charley Casserly's pick. I don't care how often he takes credit for it. And I don't know if it was actually Kubiak's or McNair's pick. But, there's no freakin' way that a lame duck GM gets to make the call on a $54 million investment.

This was not Charley Casserly's pick. I don't care how often he takes credit for it. And I don't know if it was actually Kubiak's or McNair's pick. But, there's no freakin' way that a lame duck GM gets to make the call on a $54 million investment.

When he was playing poorly it was a Casserly pick, at least on this board. No way Kubiak would have done it! Opinion sways with the wind...

:)

When he was playing poorly it was a Casserly pick, at least on this board. No way Kubiak would have done it! Opinion sways with the wind...

:)

I always thought it was a Kubiak pick and the YKW was Mcnair but what the heck do I know I was not in on any of the meetings.

I always thought it was a Kubiak pick and the YKW was Mcnair but what the heck do I know I was not in on any of the meetings.

I always thought it was a Kubiak pick too. He had a lot of control when he got here. I always noticed Casserly getting bashed for Mario while Kubiak got praised for Demeco, Winston, Spencer, Daniels, etc.

But you're right - we don't know. Maybe they were all Casserly picks. :shocked

From the Peter King piece linked above:

Regardless of what you think this was Charley Casserly's pick.

In my opinion MW was a CC pick, I really don't give a little rats behind what you or anyone esle thinks.

Just based on the fact the Mario, along with most every other player we drafted that year, has turned out to be a good/great player, I'm going to assume CC was nowhere near the draft room. Check past draft history for examples/depression.

Just based on the fact the Mario, along with most every other player we drafted that year, has turned out to be a good/great player, I'm going to assume CC was nowhere near the draft room. Check past draft history for examples/depression.

Didn't he drafted a cornerback while he was at Washington, I forgot his name but he now plays for Denver.

Didn't Kubiak say that the offensive and defensive staffs held separate meetings, both to decide which player the team should draft first overall, and both sides came back Mario? Isn't it possible, and likely for that matter, that Kubiak and Casserly both wanted to choose Mario? Trying to say it was Casserly's more than Kubiak's choice and vice versa seems like an exercise in futility, IMO.

I always thought it was a Kubiak pick too. He had a lot of control when he got here. I always noticed Casserly getting bashed for Mario while Kubiak got praised for Demeco, Winston, Spencer, Daniels, etc.

But you're right - we don't know. Maybe they were all Casserly picks. :shocked

I will give credit where it is due, from what I recall Kubiak himself said daniels was a CC pick, I never heard him say that about any other guys drafted. I do not recall where I saw it at or the link I am sure it was posted on here more than once and maybe that is where I read it, not sure.

Ryans I thought was one of the Assistance. Geez I wish that kind of info could be had, like in baseball. A player is scouted and or signed (especially non-drafted guys) by a certain person it is always listed.

I will give credit where it is due, from what I recall Kubiak himself said daniels was a CC pick, I never heard him say that about any other guys drafted. I do not recall where I saw it at or the link I am sure it was posted on here more than once and maybe that is where I read it, not sure.

Ryans I thought was one of the Assistance. Geez I wish that kind of info could be had, like in baseball. A player is scouted and or signed (especially non-drafted guys) by a certain person it is always listed.

I think I did hear that Casserly recommended Daniels now that you mention it. It must have been in the press - a Kubiak quote.

DeMeco was highly touted by the linebackers coach, Johnny Holland.

I think Kubiak was responsible for pulling the trigger on them though. That's all good - listen to advice and make your decision.

I don't buy into this "now Mario rocks he must have been a Kubiak pick" nonsense. Casserly was a below average GM, but not every move he made was a disaster and I don't see what's wrong with acknowledging his successes. For every P-Buc and Babin, there's a Johnson and a Robinson. The difference between a good GM and a bad is quite fine, and Rick Smith's success rate so far isn't monumentally better than CC's.

I guess it makes people feel comfortable thinking that every bad thing that happened to the Texans can be blamed on previous management and now that there's a new regime in town everything will be just fine. The world doesn't work that way, there are usually many contributing factors and shades of gray involved. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

not that my opinion or theory means anything.

IMO, Casserly was kept through the draft because, why would a team release a lame duck GM that could possibly be picked up by another team as a "consultant" before the draft..It would make no sense. most could argue that it would be wrong, but say the Saints or Titans (who picked closely behind the Texans)picked him up for his "input".. that would be "corporate" suicide before a "strategy" session(aka draft), no matter what anyone would say, it would give an edge to the team that drafted just behind the Texans and also know what they were thinking about players and how they would rate them

Casserly might have had input as a lame duck GM , but I don't think much because Kubiak, and Smith and such were changing schemes(wouldn't suprise me if Sherman had alot of say)... and those coaches knew what they wanted

of course my opinion means not much

I don't buy into this "now Mario rocks he must have been a Kubiak pick" nonsense. Casserly was a below average GM, but not every move he made was a disaster and I don't see what's wrong with acknowledging his successes. For every P-Buc and Babin, there's a Johnson and a Robinson. The difference between a good GM and a bad is quite fine, and Rick Smith's success rate so far isn't monumentally better than CC's.

I guess it makes people feel comfortable thinking that every bad thing that happened to the Texans can be blamed on previous management and now that there's a new regime in town everything will be just fine. The world doesn't work that way, there are usually many contributing factors and shades of gray involved. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

OK so he did manage to pick two guys worth a crap, congratulations out of 5 years of picking plauers you got two right, when do you want your F'n parade down S. Bartel Dr? CC and the screw up draft factory did nothing to help this team move out of expansion mode.

OK so he did manage to pick two guys worth a crap, congratulations out of 5 years of picking plauers you got two right,

I disagree with this. You also have to consider those players who may have been good that the coaches messed up.

OK so he did manage to pick two guys worth a crap, congratulations out of 5 years of picking plauers you got two right, when do you want your F'n parade down S. Bartel Dr? CC and the screw up draft factory did nothing to help this team move out of expansion mode.

Well off the top of my head, Gaffney, Pitts, Weary, White, D Davis, Johnson, Robinson, TJ, Mathis, Williams, Ryans, Daniels, Winston were all reasonable draft picks.

Look, I'm not especially defending Casserly - I'm glad he's gone, I just think people should fess up and admit he got a few right.

IMO, Casserly was kept through the draft because, why would a team release a lame duck GM that could possibly be picked up by another team as a "consultant" before the draft...
That's a good point. My thought was that Denver wouldn't let Rick Smith leave until after the draft (probably along similar rationale). Plus, Casserly had hired all the scouts and put the system in place. Kubiak probably needed help with with the process and Casserly had all of the contacts.

Casserly might have had input as a lame duck GM , but I don't think much because Kubiak, and Smith and such were changing schemes(wouldn't suprise me if Sherman had alot of say)... and those coaches knew what they wanted
And that's pretty much the system Casserly had with Capers & staff. They would tell Casserly who they wanted, and Casserly would find a way to get them (remember the '03 draft littered with Senior Bowlers the Texans coached?). You can't blame Casserly for drafting Babin or trading for P-Bust. Just the cost it took to acquire them.

Well off the top of my head, Gaffney, Pitts, Weary, White, D Davis, Johnson, Robinson, TJ, Mathis, Williams, Ryans, Daniels, Winston were all reasonable draft picks.

Look, I'm not especially defending Casserly - I'm glad he's gone, I just think people should fess up and admit he got a few right.

I still contend that coaching screwed up some pretty decent prospects during the C&C years. Casserly made some reasonable picks, as you pointed out. However, he did two very critical things wrong. First, he overpaid players by a large margin. Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Morlon Greenwood, etc. Second, when he screwed up a deal, it wasn't by a little. The Buchanon deal was incompetent, by any measure. The Babin deal was a debacle. Even if Babin had gone to Pro Bowls here, he wouldn't have lived up to the cost of three picks on a developing team.

Casserly has a seat at the head of the table for who screwed this team up, but that case is sometimes slightly overstated by the message board fans.

If we're gonna hold somebody accountable for his mistakes, at least we should attempt to consider credit where it's due. :shades:

I think I did hear that Casserly recommended Daniels now that you mention it. It must have been in the press - a Kubiak quote.

DeMeco was highly touted by the linebackers coach, Johnny Holland.

I think Kubiak was responsible for pulling the trigger on them though. That's all good - listen to advice and make your decision.

agreed: You're never going to know for sure...my two cents...Charley Casserly was a "yes" guy...he hunted up the tallent, administered the scouts, told he coches their weaknesse and strengths, options and then pulled he trigger if the coach gave the ok.
He doesn't make waves. He's a team guy. There was a whole lot of reachin' the first five years...I do not believe it was all CC's doing as so many on the board believe. There were many fingers in that dung pie. We saw one last sunday...a 4-3 develppemental guy chosen by at the time a 3-4 team...makes you wonder. It was only a seventh rounder but the guy has found himself apparently.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0021332

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Blazinhot54/2006/05/10/Charlie_Casserly_Texans_GM_Resigns
http://blog.kir.com/archives/002735.asp

Several of my friend's observations on specific picks were also quite interesting. For example, on Jason Babin (LB 2004 first round), Seth Wand (OT 2003 third round) and Travis Johnson (DL 2005) -- all of whom are often cited as Casserly "bust" picks -- my friend disagreed and characterized each of them as decent picks, at least at this point in the evaluation process.

"Babin started and played reasonably well as a rookie, and then he has been injured while learning a new system in his second season," my friend noted. "He may not be a star, but he can still develop into a solid NFL starter."

As for Wand, my friend observed: "He's a small college player who has been pushed too fast at this level. That doesn't mean he won't eventually become at least an average NFL player."

With regard to Johnson, my friend pointed out that his inconsistent play this season is at least partly attributable to being thrown into a poorly-organized defensive unit that is just now adjusting to the change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 defense. "He's not Reggie White," my friend chuckled. "But it's way too early to characterize him as a bust."

So, why don't the Texans have enough good players? "Well, I haven't analyzed Casserly's free agent and trade transactions, so those certainly could have something to do with that," observed my friend. "But remember, quality depth is built up over time and the Texans are still a young franchise. Wand is a good example. He was a decent pick, but he is a project and thus, might not have been the best fit for a team such as the Texans that needs players who can play at the NFL-level as soon as possible."

Back