Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has to f

I would argue that the overanalysis would be that the team's struggles in December this year means that Kubiak and Schaub are overall failures. I disagree. Kubiak was very successful last year during this time of the year. You think he's regressed. I simply think a set of variables arrived that he struggled to respond to well this winter. Last year, he handled more difficult situations much better. Next year, I think it is likely this late season failure won't repeat.
Respectfully, last year was last year. Kubiak's inability or unwillingness to see and adapt THIS YEAR tells me he has indeed digressed as a coach. To have a team implode the way these Texans have THIS YEAR is a monumental failure. Sure, some blame should be placed on these players. But overall I believe it it Kubiak's fault for not changing or refusing to change, adapt, see what other teams were doing to his team. His play calling became overly predictable, IMO, so much so the once potent offense has become futile. When you have TV announcers making observations about the funk this team was in, and their inability to score a TD for so and so quarters, something's terribly wrong.
The holes weren't there anymore for Foster. When Schaub the Sloth dropped back in the pocket that pocket collapsed almost immediately, and we know how bad Schaub is under pressure.
To me that says defenses know what's going to be called beforehand, because, BECAUSE Kubiak's play calling is almost the same every damn game.
I don't hate Kubiak. I believe he's an outstanding man with good principles.
I don't hate Schaub either.
But, I'm extremely frustrated at what appears to be a wasted season on a learning lesson. A lesson most competent HC's would have recognized many games back.

Respectfully, last year was last year. Kubiak's inability or unwillingness to see and adapt THIS YEAR tells me he has indeed digressed as a coach. To have a team implode the way these Texans have THIS YEAR is a monumental failure. Sure, some blame should be placed on these players. But overall I believe it it Kubiak's fault for not changing or refusing to change, adapt, see what other teams were doing to his team. His play calling became overly predictable, IMO, so much so the once potent offense has become futile. When you have TV announcers making observations about the funk this team was in, and their inability to score a TD for so and so quarters, something's terribly wrong.
The holes weren't there anymore for Foster. When Schaub the Sloth dropped back in the pocket that pocket collapsed almost immediately, and we know how bad Schaub is under pressure.
To me that says defenses know what's going to be called beforehand, because, BECAUSE Kubiak's play calling is almost the same every damn game.
But, I'm extremely frustrated at what appears to be a wasted season on a learning lesson. A lesson most competent HC's would have recognized many games back.

You mention the predictability... While that may be a problem, I think something else is going on that I have noticed in the Packer Game and 1st Indy game, particularly. You are correct that defenses have sometimes seem to know what the play was at the snap and correctly commit to it. GB seemed to identify when we were running the stretch and when we were running play action off of it very early. Also, Freeney and Mathis seemed, on a couple plays, seemed to know we were passing despite the play-action.

I think that one of the offensive linemen (likely Newton or Jones) is tipping the defense. I haven't researched it but I'm fairly certain that is a big problem we are dealing with. I'd love to hear if others have noticed anything.

Msr.

Being a great coach...or just an average coach includes adapting on the fly. I've seen our defense do it at times...Kubiak and the offense? Not so much.

You mention the predictability... While that may be a problem, I think something else is going on that I have noticed in the Packer Game and 1st Indy game, particularly. You are correct that defenses have sometimes seem to know what the play was at the snap and correctly commit to it. GB seemed to identify when we were running the stretch and when we were running play action off of it very early. Also, Freeney and Mathis seemed, on a couple plays, seemed to know we were passing despite the play-action.

I think that one of the offensive linemen (likely Newton or Jones) is tipping the defense. I haven't researched it but I'm fairly certain that is a big problem we are dealing with. I'd love to hear if others have noticed anything.

I think the play calling predictability is a made up couch coaches BS critique when they start wanting to criticize a team.

Now your second point may be spot on. I haven't spotted it but I will give two examples.

#1 - For a time period Tony Dorsett only put his mouth piece in for running plays and teams were keying off on it until the Cowboys figured it out.

#2 - Can't remember which RT it was but Vinny came with me to a game (this was several years ago so not current crew) and spotted he was giving away run v. pass based on whether he elevated his heel on his outside foot when he set.

Little things having nothing to do with play calling or the QB can jack up an offense.

Kubiak's offense is predictable at times, but no more than most other offenses. It's not like teams are lining up running crazy shyt every down. It's about execution. You know most teams want to run in short yardage...pass on 3rd and 4 or more....that's no secret...

I don't have an issue with Kubiak's playcalling for the most part. I think he has some bad moments, but I don't expect him to be perfect. I think execution is a bigger part of the failings than the actual plays being called.

I think we know what to expect when the Steelers play, we know Manning is going to throw the ball, we know what makes the Saints roll....most teams do a few things well and they do them over and over. I think when you lose it just seems redundant. When we were beating teams early in the season we weren't doing anything unexpected. I think what has happened is that we don't do enough things well and when good teams take away our strength we don't have much in the punch bowl to draw on.

I think the play calling predictability is a made up couch coaches BS critique when they start wanting to criticize a team.

Now your second point may be spot on. I haven't spotted it but I will give two examples.

#1 - For a time period Tony Dorsett only put his mouth piece in for running plays and teams were keying off on it until the Cowboys figured it out.

#2 - Can't remember which RT it was but Vinny came with me to a game (this was several years ago so not current crew) and spotted he was giving away run v. pass based on whether he elevated his heel on his outside foot when he set.

Little things having nothing to do with play calling or the QB can jack up an offense.

Cak,

Do you remember us discussing when Vinny and I went to a game together and we both noticed that Duane Brown was giving away plays. I called into the Kubiak 610 radio show and pointed out that Brown was predictably giving away run vs pass by always taking the 2-point stance (upright) with every passing play and the hand down stance with every running play. Kubiak replied that he never noticed but would review game film. After that, the "habit" mysteriously disappeared.

Cak,

Do you remember us discussing when Vinny and I went to a game together and we both noticed that Duane Brown was giving away plays. I called into the Kubiak 610 radio show and pointed out that Brown was predictably giving away run vs pass by always taking the 2-point stance (upright) with every passing play and the hand down stance with every running play. Kubiak replied that he never noticed but would review game film. After that, the "habit" mysteriously disappeared.

I thought I debunked that myth already.

No, neither D. Brown nor Winston lined up in the same stance every single time.
There were times they lined up in A stance when the play goes either run or pass.
There were times they lined up in B stance when the play can go either way, just the same.

There was no telegraphing.

It just so happened that some of you folks saw only a handful of plays and came to quick conclusion.

Cak,

Freaking Sick!! :clap:

I thought I debunked that myth already.

No, neither D. Brown nor Winston lined up in the same stance every single time.
There were times they lined up in A stance when the play goes either run or pass.
There were times they lined up in B stance when the play can go either way, just the same.

There was no telegraphing.

It just so happened that some of you folks saw only a handful of plays and came to quick conclusion.

I'll let Vinny respond. The game we attended, we could call every single play with accuracy. I guess we were both psychic.:kitten:

Cak,

Rep for making a contribution as a fan to the outcome on the field. Wish more fans who noticed things let the coaches know. They need all the help they can get right now.

I'll let Vinny respond. The game we attended, we could call every single play with accuracy. I guess we were both psychic.:kitten:

Psychic

I guess that explains some things, such as looking into the future and being able to tell Reed was going to reinjure his groin. (Ouch) LOL

You guys posted about this back then.

I was curious so I pulled up at least a couple of games worth of plays, looking specifically at how Brown and Winston were lining up and whether a pass or a run play ensued.

Whatever his name was (from an opponent) thought he found a key, but it wasn't true. If anything, he was mis-informed.

Rep for making a contribution as a fan to the outcome on the field. Wish more fans who noticed things let the coaches know. They need all the help they can get right now.

You mean like Schaub doesn't rool out to his left and deliver the ball accurately while on the move, or Newton struggles to seal the edge on the outside zone play?

Man, I hope this isn't all true. If the coaching staff truly did miss Brown habits and it really did took a couple of fans to bring this to attention and get it corrected then this franchise is in real trouble. I can't imagine what else they could have miss. This is a disturbing revelation if they did miss it.

I think what has happened is that we don't do enough things well and when good teams take away our strength we don't have much in the punch bowl to draw on.

Texans_Chick made a good point in her thread. Our WR catch ratio used to be much higher. There was a time when KDub, OD, Arian, & David Anderson caught everything you threw their way. There was a time when David Anderson was Schaub's favorite target on third downs. People covered Andre & OD.... Anderson caught everything thrown his way.

Heck, last year anytime Matt threw the ball, most of us thought it was most likely a catch, unless it went to one guy in particular. One guy out of 6-9 receiving options isn't bad especially when that one guy wasn't always on the field.

Now we've got three guys that it's 50/50 at best & the three of our big 4 aren't as reliable as they used to be (I think Andre has only dropped one, but KDub, OD, & Arian have really dropped off).

So, to go with your post. In the past, if we got off schedule, we could make up for it with regularity because of our receivers. Now... not so much.

Cak,

I remember there was a stretch of games (when we got punk'd by the NFC East) that every time we motioned the TE to the LOS, it was a run to that side. Every time we motioned the TE split..... it was a pass play.

The NFC East shut down our running game & I believe that was why. Never got any confirmation. But every time the TE went into motion, I knew whether it was run or pass & if a run, I knew which way it was going.

Psychic

I guess that explains some things, such as looking into the future and being able to tell Reed was going to reinjure his groin. (Ouch) LOL

Again..... I don't know if reinjure is the word. He had a set back. He practiced that week as if he was going to play. They decided not to put him in on game day.

He will play this week.

Again..... I don't know if reinjure is the word. He had a set back. He practiced that week as if he was going to play. They decided not to put him in on game day.

He will play this week.

He re injured his groin in a game.

Nevermind, sometimes I think Fiddler/Thunderkiss just likes to be argumentative.

I mean if he will argue Reed wasn't brought back early and reinjured his groin, he will never admit Schaub isn't 100%. Even though there's medical evidence to suggest otherwise. Not to mention that just about every player playing in the playoffs is playing with some sort of injury.

No, sure see Schaubs fully healthy, see how easy that was to end that discussion. Later in a few yrs we will found out the true facts.

Oh and Mario is the greatest despite the fact that he racked up his 10+ sacks against the vaunted OL's
Cleve- 1.5
Arz- 2
Hou-1
Mia- 1
Indy- 3
Stl-1
Jac-1

Despite being moved around to face the worst pass blocking OT/TE on each team. This is another case of putting up numbers against the dregs of the NFL and not producing against the elite teams. Another example of how numbers lie.

Last edited:

Again, we don't "know" that he re-injured it. I don't remember seeing him go down like he did when he injured it the first time.

Chances are he felt it tightening up on him & before it actually "reinjured" he told someone he felt it tightening up on him or something. & they pulled him to prevent him from reinjuring it.

He was practicing all week, expected to play last Sunday. Before the game they decided against it. He will play tomorrow.

This isn't like when Arian pulled a hammy, got in a game, pulled it again & had to sit out a couple more weeks.

Or when Andre did the same last year.

Cak,

if this is true, this in itself is a problem...how could you not notice things like this as a coaching staff?...especially when you're struggling as bad as we are...Everything has to be examined down to the smallest detail when you're in a rut like we've been.

Texans_Chick made a good point in her thread. Our WR catch ratio used to be much higher. There was a time when KDub, OD, Arian, & David Anderson caught everything you threw their way. There was a time when David Anderson was Schaub's favorite target on third downs. People covered Andre & OD.... Anderson caught everything thrown his way.

Heck, last year anytime Matt threw the ball, most of us thought it was most likely a catch, unless it went to one guy in particular. One guy out of 6-9 receiving options isn't bad especially when that one guy wasn't always on the field.

Now we've got three guys that it's 50/50 at best & the three of our big 4 aren't as reliable as they used to be (I think Andre has only dropped one, but KDub, OD, & Arian have really dropped off).

According to LLC Stats Inc. (Elias Sports Bureau), AJ had 6 drops, O.D. and Foster follow with 5 apiece, and KMart had 4.

(I'm kinda disappointed about KMart's drops.)

Again, we don't "know" that he re-injured it. I don't remember seeing him go down like he did when he injured it the first time.

I think regardless of what word you want to use, the fact is he wasn't fully ready for action when he initially returned which was the main point.

That was really good and perfectly echoes my thoughts. Since the Detroit game, I have felt we needed to start running more no huddle, make quicker passes, and better utilize the strengths of our team. Our offense line is struggling, so why in the hell are we running plays that take an eternity to setup?!? We are asking for Schaub to get killed.

We need to switch things up. Everyone knows we want to run the ball and control the clock. We have gotten far too predictable. Once our defense started regressing, the offense had to pick it up. They never have and here we are playing our worst football of the season.

The bolded is what I've been telling all the folks on campus that come to me asking "what's happened to the Texans!?" I'd really LOVE for them to come out in no huddle and minimize the Bengals chance to substitute and keep their rushers fresh.

if this is true, this in itself is a problem...how could you not notice things like this as a coaching staff?...especially when you're struggling as bad as we are...Everything has to be examined down to the smallest detail when you're in a rut like we've been.

I've already explained that this is not true.

(Pulling up the archive, you can see that Vinny, CNND, and others talked about this, with reference to Quentin Groves - a Jags player - in 2009 who was quoted as he saw D. Brown telegraphing play.)

I just went back to that game in Dec, week 13.

The first 3 play, Brown was in a 2-pt stance, the Texans went with the pass 3 times.
The next 2 plays, Brown was in a 3-pt stance, the Texans also went with the pass both times.

Groves was just shooting his mouth off.

He will play this week.

Chances are he felt it tightening up on him & before it actually "reinjured" he told someone he felt it tightening up on him or something. & they pulled him to prevent him from reinjuring it.
He was practicing all week, expected to play last Sunday. Before the game they decided against it. He will play tomorrow.
This isn't like when Arian pulled a hammy, got in a game, pulled it again & had to sit out a couple more weeks.
Or when Andre did the same last year.

Fiddler, if you were my surgical resident, I would be seriously suggesting that you consider going back to medical school. After his multi-week absence, Reed never once participated in a FULL practice before being thrown out there in the game again. He then was smartly not activated last game. Since his initial “return” he has not participated in a FULL practice (contact OR non-contact) to date. A “tightening” of a muscle group is basically like having a short-lasting mild cramp. At best, it benefits by a short rest and gentle stretching. MAYBE if you want to return, you place a light spandex-like compression garment over the area mostly to keep it warm. It does not require extensive wrapping. When you see a player come off the field, and a massive tight full-thigh 6 inch Ace wrap is applied, and he remains on the bench, that wrap is on there because muscle has torn and you are trying to minimize any bleeding into the tissues as well as trying to control any resultant swelling. As I’ve said before, and specifically with Reed after this severe adductor muscle groin tear (which is a much more potentially chronic hard-to-heal muscle injury than even a hamstring), practice (even “contact”) does not in any way, shape or form simulate real-time game stresses. He shouldn’t have been allowed to play in the last game he participated in. And if this were simply a “tightening”, he would have participated in the last Colts game. In lieu of still no full practice participation this week, when it’s all said and done, whatever the actual game outcome concerning his groin, if he is allowed to play this week, it will serve to put him at a significant risk for further re-injury.......and could very well be a last desperation move on the part of both him and the Texans, each fearing that this game could be the Texans’ last.

I remember there was a stretch of games (when we got punk'd by the NFC East) that every time we motioned the TE to the LOS, it was a run to that side. Every time we motioned the TE split..... it was a pass play.

The NFC East shut down our running game & I believe that was why. Never got any confirmation. But every time the TE went into motion, I knew whether it was run or pass & if a run, I knew which way it was going.

I didn't see this post until now, LOL; I thought debunked that myth as well not too long after TK mentioned it.

There was no tendency with our motion to indicate whether the play was going to be a run or a pass.

I've already explained that this is not true.

(Pulling up the archive, you can see that Vinny, CNND, and others talked about this, with reference to Quentin Groves - a Jags player - in 2009 who was quoted as he saw D. Brown telegraphing play.)

I just went back to that game in Dec, week 13.

The first 3 play, Brown was in a 2-pt stance, the Texans went with the pass 3 times.
The next 2 plays, Brown was in a 3-pt stance, the Texans also went with the pass both times.

Groves was just shooting his mouth off.

You are over a year too late.

This was posted on 12/07/09 by Vinny in response to the Quentin Groves observation thread. It refers to my post of our observation made on a date more than 1 year prior (10/12/08)........way before and independent of any statements on the subject by Quentin Groves. The next day is when I spoke to Kubiak. The games thereafter were immediately and completely devoid of the pattern.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1021852&highlight=duane+brown,+sets#post1021852 10-12-2008

Just got back from the game. That's what I have to call it.

There were 2 interceptions, 4 non-interceptions that no one caught but should have been (by the Phins), and that last long catch be AJ should have been an interception (but only because of his shear strength took the ball from the defender).

Coach decisions to go for 2 extra points..........should have been called after the 1st touchdown.............and when finally called at the end of the game as an after thought.

Time management?...........I'd say take away Kubiak's analog watch and let him have a dummy digital one.............oh, excuse me, he already has one on the scoreboard.

DURING THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME, VINNY POINTED OUT THAT IT APPEARED THAT DUANE BROWN WAS TELEGRAPHING OUT PLAYS. I SPENT THE REST OF THE GAME TABBING HIS OBSERVATION........AND IT'S A DEFINITE. APPROXIMATELY 90% OF THE TIME, IF BROWN TOOK A FULL CROUCH POSITION, IT WAS RUN...............IF BROWN TOOK A SEMI-CROUCH/SEMI-UPRIGHT POSITION, IT WAS A PASS. SOMEONE NEEDS TO RELATE THIS TO THE COACHES.

BTW, Gibbs on the sideline was so animated (pissed) most of the game, that he reminded me of a Joe Pesce understudy.

Yes, we won the game. But the excitement was definitely manufactured.

You are over a year too late.

This was posted on 12/07/09 by Vinny in response to the Quentin Groves observation thread. It refers to my post of our observation made on a date more than 1 year prior (10/12/08)........way before and independent of any statements on the subject by Quentin Groves. The next day is when I spoke to Kubiak. The games thereafter were immediately and completely devoid of the pattern.

OK, so I open the Colts game in week 5 on 10/5/08 with Rosenfels at the helm, and what did I see?

First offensive play, Texans in straight I.
Brown in a 2-pt stance and we ran the ball.
Any more question?

Want me to take some screen shots?

OK, so I open the Colts game in week 5 on 10/5/08 with Rosenfels at the helm, and what did I see?

First offensive play, Texans in straight I.
Brown in a 2-pt stance and we ran the ball.
Any more question?

Want me to take some screen shots?

Sorry, but I didn't have any questions to begin with. Vinny and I were at the 10/12/08 Miami game. I reported exactly what we saw. It was valid then. It is valid now. I'm out of this "discussion," thank you.

Sorry, but I didn't have any questions to begin with. Vinny and I were at the 10/12/08 Miami game. I reported exactly what we saw. It was valid then. It is valid now. I'm out of this "discussion," thank you.

Your counting the snaps & forming your own opinion doesn't count.

Doc, you know I only have respect for you.

But eyes can, and do deceive us often.

I went ahead and took all the screen shots in the first quarter of the Colts game and the whole half of the Dolphins games.

The Colts game showed that there were no tendency, whatsoever.

In the Dolphins game, I can see why you guys "thought" there was a tendency.
However, it was far from an absolute tendency.

It is true that in the first half, many many plays went as you described; but there were 6 plays that bucked the trend.

Also, there were plays when we were in empty backfield; those, for sure, are pass plays (I don't think we set up running play for Schaub maybe once in a blue moon, LOL.)

So, even though there was somewhat of a tendency, the Dolphins can only guess since we never showed that tendency in the previous game against the Colts.

I don't think I need to post the screen shots, but if I have time, I may just upload them onto photobucket some day.

Doc, you know I only have respect for you.

But eyes can, and do deceive us often.

I went ahead and took all the screen shots in the first quarter of the Colts game and the whole half of the Dolphins games.

The Colts game showed that there were no tendency, whatsoever.

In the Dolphins game, I can see why you guys "thought" there was a tendency.
However, it was far from an absolute tendency.

It is true that in the first half, many many plays went as you described; but there were 6 plays that bucked the trend.

Also, there were plays when we were in empty backfield; those, for sure, are pass plays (I don't think we set up running play for Schaub maybe once in a blue moon, LOL.)

So, even though there was somewhat of a tendency, the Dolphins can only guess since we never showed that tendency in the previous game against the Colts.

I don't think I need to post the screen shots, but if I have time, I may just upload them onto photobucket some day.

I'll never forget the 1st year that Marty Schottenheimer was an analyst for ESPN. More than once, he would take the audience through coaches tape and pinpoint something slight from an offensive player and clearly show how it signaled a specific play or play type. I believe that there are those coaches in the NFL gifted at finding those things. It would be surprising if the Texans weren't guilty of telegraphing something given they are starting a rookie RG (who has never played the position before) and a converted TE at RT (who is starting for the first time). If true, then it would explain the perceived predictability and also the drop in play of the left side of the line (at times) as well... It's hard to successfully run a bootleg play action pass if the weak side DE knows the play ahead of time!

(JUST A THEORY)

I'll never forget the 1st year that Marty Schottenheimer was an analyst for ESPN. More than once, he would take the audience through coaches tape and pinpoint something slight from an offensive player and clearly show how it signaled a specific play or play type. I believe that there are those coaches in the NFL gifted at finding those things. It would be surprising if the Texans weren't guilty of telegraphing something given they are starting a rookie RG (who has never played the position before) and a converted TE at RT (who is starting for the first time). If true, then it would explain the perceived predictability and also the drop in play of the left side of the line (at times) as well... It's hard to successfully run a bootleg play action pass if the weak side DE knows the play ahead of time!

(JUST A THEORY)
About the bootleg and play action, you might want to remember that we're the top team for at least three years now.
I think it was Dan Fouts who talked about it during one of our games.

When you lead the league for that long, you've got to do something right.

Also, in different pre-game press conferences, different opponents have mentioned how our line has been so consistent at making things look the same.

Now, I don't know about those gap runs we've been doing the last couple of years. It might be something interesting to go back to look at in the off-season.

If true, then it would explain the perceived predictability and also the drop in play of the left side of the line (at times) as well... It's hard to successfully run a bootleg play action pass if the weak side DE knows the play ahead of time!

(JUST A THEORY)

Here's my thinking on the "perceived predictability"

Who cares?

If you're telling me that Kubiak is predictable because "they" know we're going to run the ball on first down, I say so what. We should be able to run the ball on first down whether they know we're going to or not. We should be able to run the ball on 3rd & 1, whether they know or not. That's the difference between the good teams & the bad teams.

Now we've got a QB who is supposed to assess the defense & put us in the best position to succeed. If they're overloading the right side, he should switch it to the left. if they are overloading the left side, he should change it to the right. If they can out man us on both the left & the right, then we just aren't that good to begin with.

Wade Smith, Chris Myers, Ben Jones, Derek Newton, & Ryan Harris getting blown 2 yards off the ball ain't about being predictable. It's about needing to get better at your craft.

But that's just me.

Back