Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has to f

Tango

Practice Squad
LZ's post on the Texans offense. I think it's pretty insightful. Looking forward to his upcoming breakdowns.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...iak-cant-rely-on-the-system-he-has-to-fix-it/

The running game and the offensive line issues can’t be fixed right now. Kubiak and his crew can run more toss plays or they can run more of their gap plays, but the outside zone game, the Texans’ bread-and-butter, just isn’t going to get it done this year. This offensive line is nowhere near as effective as last year’s group was and a talent infusion is needed at two and maybe three spots. That can’t be fixed in-season, but it can be managed. Maximizing the team’s strengths and minimizing their weaknesses is on Gary Kubiak’s shoulders now and he has to rise to the occasion and find a way to win a hand with 9-10 suited.

That implies that the offensive line is reason why Schaub is playing as bad as he is, and is the reason why Foster is playing as bad as he is.

I'll buy that. It all starts up front. I know that's a boring cliche to the fans, but it is what it is.

Schaub just not looking like same QB as early season. He looked sharp and on target and I often exclaimed during a game "daang, Matt is zone in." Now he is over, under or just out of reach of his target. It happened in the N.E. game and he just has not been same player. I do not mind him throwing ball away but he just does not seem to be aware of his surroundings during a game; shell shocked or concussed if I did not know better.

That implies that the offensive line is reason why Schaub is playing as bad as he is, and is the reason why Foster is playing as bad as he is.

I'll buy that. It all starts up front. I know that's a boring cliche to the fans, but it is what it is.

If you read the stuff prior to that part about the O-line Schaub doesn't come out unscathed.

Edit: but, yeah you're right about it starting up front for both our lines.

LZ is on track.

Schaub is playing it safe.

O-Line is lacking talent at two, probably three positions.

And Gary needs to look at different ways to playcall within those limits.

But we have three pro bowlers on that offensive line. Duane Brown (LT), Wade Smith (LG) and Chris Myers (C). So basically LZ is saying we made a huge mistake letting Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston go last off-season. Well yeah, I sort of knew that. Everybody knew that. We've been working with a somewhat mediocre right side all season long.

It just bothers me it was all about the salary cap and they went to Oakland and Kansas City for more money - a place they will never win. Should have taken a pay cut or restructured to play for a winner and been a part of something special.

Schaub just not looking like same QB as early season. He looked sharp and on target and I often exclaimed during a game "daang, Matt is zone in." Now he is over, under or just out of reach of his target.

It doesn't make sense to me. We've got the same 5 guys in front him that we started the season with, save Ben Jones. Personally I think Ben Jones is playing better than Caldwell in both the run & passing game. Yes he had issues with Wilfork, but other than that, I think he's held his own.

I don't understand why Matt can play like that, or that Arian can play like that behind Gump, & not Jones. I think Jones is an upgrade.

It doesn't make sense to me. We've got the same 5 guys in front him that we started the season with, save Ben Jones. Personally I think Ben Jones is playing better than Caldwell in both the run & passing game. Yes he had issues with Wilfork, but other than that, I think he's held his own.

I don't understand why Matt can play like that, or that Arian can play like that behind Gump, & not Jones. I think Jones is an upgrade.
I've seen quarterbacks do more with less talent on the offensive line. Like I said, we've got three pro bowlers up front, two of which should be All Pros. It's not the offensive line's fault like people are making it out to be. They are talented. I don't even want to blame it all on that right side either. Schaub is just too damn slow in the pocket. He's got to move like he used to.

In the comments section, Zierlein identifies Schaub as one of the root problems. The other problem is the line. Though both problems have separate origins, the line is complicating the problems with Schaub. Maybe rotating rookies into the right side has diminished pass protection and prevented synchronicity for zone blocking. Whatever's going on, Schaub is not the QB he was even a month ago. One TD in the past four "must win" games is a meltdown.

I don't know yet what Zierlein's logic is for diagnosing the problem at QB, but mine is based on annual trends. Every year, I go back and forth from believing that Schaub has successfully broken through his ceiling (he made an undeniable case early in the season), to concluding that he is on the downward slope of his peak.

I find myself experiencing the same emotions with Schaub every year, making the same observations, then coming to the same conclusions. This is what I posted last season, saying the exact same thing, and referencing the exact same thing from the previous year.

As late as last season, I was still defending Schaub as being on his way to elite status. And as recently as the New Orleans game two weeks ago, I suddenly saw evidence that aligned everything I know about him into a conclusion that is very uncomfortable and difficult to acknowledge.

Basically, Schaub is damaged goods and has reached his ceiling. His stats are better than ever, but he crumbles when the game is on the line. I saw a glimpse of this last season when we played the Ravens on MNF. The pick-six in OT is not a mistake that championship caliber quarterbacks make. He will lead the team to the border of the promised land, then seal their defeat.

The moment my mind changed was when Schaub took a dive in the 4th quarter against the Saints when he had plenty of space to escape. Normally, I think taking the dive is a smart play, but that instance was another sample of an increasing pattern of freaking out while under pressure.

When the pocket collapses, a championship quarterback scrambles, improvises, and plays the hand he's dealt-- think Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. Schaub? He won't scramble. He's been throwing at feet, taking unnecessary dives, and forcing it to covered players for an interception.

It's sad to say, but the frequency of this is increasing. Personally, I can't say I would be very cool-headed when a 270 lbs athlete is about to transfer a 2000 lbs shockwave of kinetic energy through my body, but we need Schaub to be that guy-- and he is not anymore.

Link.

In the first half of this season, Schaub played the best I've ever seen him play. But it's part of a trend now, and it's been happening every year.

But we have three pro bowlers on that offensive line. Duane Brown (LT), Wade Smith (LG) and Chris Myers (C). So basically LZ is saying we made a huge mistake letting Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston go last off-season. Well yeah, I sort of knew that. Everybody knew that. We've been working with a somewhat mediocre right side all season long.

It just bothers me it was all about the salary cap and they went to Oakland and Kansas City for more money - a place they will never win. Should have taken a pay cut or restructured to play for a winner and been a part of something special.

I am never going to tell or suggest that a grown man take less money to do anything much less a job that puts his body at risk like the NFL. It was the job of the texans to either have the funds to keep the players or a better plan of replacement than we saw this year.

I've seen quarterbacks do more with less talent on the offensive line. Like I said, we've got three pro bowlers up front, two of which should be All Pros. It's not the offensive line's fault like people are making it out to be. They are talented. I don't even want to blame it all on that right side either. Schaub is just too damn slow in the pocket. He's got to move like he used to.

LZ has lots of insight via his father about line play...so the fact that he's saying we need a "talent infusion" at 2 maybe 3 spots tells me all what i already know...

Schaub could certainly stand to play better, but the whole offense run game and pass game, has taken a nose dive and that has more to do with o-line play than schaub's play.

But we have three pro bowlers on that offensive line. Duane Brown (LT), Wade Smith (LG) and Chris Myers (C).

Wade Smith in the Pro Bowl is a bit of a head scratcher, personally. Brown let Freeney blow right by him. And Myers appeared to have an average game at best. Teams have been blowing up our run blocking of late in the middle.

Yeah. Wade Smith may technically be a pro bowler, but he's definitely NOT a pro bowler.

He's right. It's OL. And OL affects everything we do. And if the offense isn't doing well, the defense carries the burden, and the defense can't carry the burden because Cushing is out.

The line isn't horrible though. I'd place more of the blame on Schaub than the OL. Schaub's throws are terrible and he can't do crap on the run. He must be set, feet planted and shoulders square, but even then he can't hit an open James Casey or Jean in stride because he doesn't have the arm. I've seen many QBs hit receivers with similar types of coverage (throwing them open) and them catching it in stride and taking it for a big gain. Only time Schaub did this was with an assist from the Denver thin air earlier this season.

Can't rely on the system and a limited qb. Schaubs better days behind him. Need three new starters on oline with no cap space? Man did the Texans peak last year? Do we fight off indi next year? Just rambling sorry

Nce read but predictable to me is a draw or screen on 3rd and long every time, It is predictable if we all as fans know its coming, so obviously that D.C making a few million coaching for the other team must know its coming to.

Other than that i agree with most of it.

Can't rely on the system and a limited qb. Schaubs better days behind him. Need three new starters on oline with no cap space? Man did the Texans peak last year? Do we fight off indi next year? Just rambling sorry

A lot of teams have a 4yr window to win a championship. Did we screw the pooch in 2009 and 2010 and now our best days are behind us ? I hope not but we need to do some serious retooling of this offensive line or its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

A lot of teams have a 4yr window to win a championship. Did we screw the pooch in 2009 and 2010 and now our best days are behind us ? I hope not but we need to do some serious retooling of this offensive line or its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

It appears that way, except on defense where they are a bit younger. The offense's best days are way behind, unless we get a new playmaker QB and some OL help. Our receiving core isn't that bad tbh. Manning would kill with it.

All we need is a new QB another possible future #1 WR to play behind AJ, and this team can still over come dumb ass kubiak. We arent far away from being elite.

It appears that way, except on defense where they are a bit younger. The offense's best days are way behind, unless we get a new playmaker QB and some OL help. Our receiving core isn't that bad tbh. Manning would kill with it.

Manning is an all time great...anyone less than him is likely having the same issues getting the ball to anyone other than AJ and OD...which is pretty much what schaub has been doing....especially if they have protection issues.

We could certainly use some scoring help from the defense this weekend considering the recent offense struggles

This organization is going to have to hit it BIG in the upcoming draft in the OL, and LB positions for us to get back on track. DL is quickly becoming a major need as well with the aging Smith as our other anchor and just getting buy at the NT position for a while now.

Back on point. We all know what Schaub can do when the offense is clicking. Unless we can find a mobile gun slinger who can figure out this system in one offseason.... we MUST get the OL fixed this offseason. It wont be easy. Imo.... Duane Brown is the only true All Pro/Pro Bowler of the group.

32 teams in this league and most of them have less than perfect OL play. Is there something wrong with the Texans line? Of course. Newton and "Rookie-of-the-Week" have been a mess and Wade Smith is a fraud this year but Myers and Brown deserve every accolade they get by and large. Even the fraud is good enough most of the time.

The OL has problems but it's not like every QB needs the Great Wall of China in front of him to be effective. There are ways a QB can help an offensive line that's struggling. He can move (Schaub can't) and he can burn the pass rush when they blitz (Schaub isn't making anyone pay this year for blitzing).

None of that is happening for us. Roethlisberger could play well behind our line. Hell he'd probably make them look brilliant. Schaub can't do it. We need to either maintain a starting OL that's damn near perfect or find a guy who can be effective behind an average line.

Its all on Kubiak and his son Matt. Analyze it all you want that is the root of the problem.

Before you lay it on too heavily on the OL and the play calling, keep in mind they have, as should be the case, focused on furthering the STRENGTHS of Arian.......while focusing on minimizing the WEAKNESSES of Schaub. The latter unduly places a major challenge/strain on the OL and play caller that would otherwise not be there.

Interesting comment:

Great article Lance.
I am a semi-pro poker player, and always see the strategy and ” out thinking ” that goes on. To me both Kube and Schaub seem.a bit tilted. Their game isn’t ” on ” , they are lacking overall aggression.

Mentally your aggression is a weapon you use to dominate and impose your will. First you must have a idea of what your will is. This could be a overall tight game, meaning you have a tighter range of hand selection. Or a lose style that opens up your range and creates more doubt, but courage in your opponent. The common element, in both styles, will be the use of aggression.

You WILL BE AGGRESSIVE. No winning player will choose to play a overall passive game in the hands they do play. This is important because MENTALLY the other guy is accepting a passive or les dominate path.

Will they defend a re-raise? If not, that is my move on them after creating a solid tight image. Your mindset is attack and aggression is your only weapon. Some players will completely submit. They will fold everyone to your aggression.and tighten.up their hand selection to avoid clashing with your aggression and to optimize their chances of coming put on top, with a stronger range of playable hands.

If Kubiac isn’t calling the plays he needs to start. The game plan must be aggressive. It isn’t enough that the plays should work. They must be designed to make your opponent submissive. You want to force them into playing it safe.

Mout times i agree with the third and long delay handoff etc. These are good selections based off the defensive philosophy and personell on the field at that given moment. After watching the Texans for 6 years straight it just looks like our play callers are losing a bit of their aggression. Our Kyle Shannohan play calling was insanely good. It just reaked of overall aggression. It isn’t enough that it make sense. It must be agressive.

Interesting comment:

That was really good and perfectly echoes my thoughts. Since the Detroit game, I have felt we needed to start running more no huddle, make quicker passes, and better utilize the strengths of our team. Our offense line is struggling, so why in the hell are we running plays that take an eternity to setup?!? We are asking for Schaub to get killed.

We need to switch things up. Everyone knows we want to run the ball and control the clock. We have gotten far too predictable. Once our defense started regressing, the offense had to pick it up. They never have and here we are playing our worst football of the season.

LZ is on track.

Schaub is playing it safe.

O-Line is lacking talent at two, probably three positions.

And Gary needs to look at different ways to playcall within those limits.

There have been plays to be made .... Schaub simply hasnt made them.

For all the people that have whined for years about getting another explosive faster wide receiver (myself included), schaub doesnt have the arm to capitalize on it. Defenses have figured out we are exclusively a horizontal threat. I dont really care about any deep play stats someone presents to argue that. I've watched and rewatched everygame this franchise has played since day 1. Proof is in the games, not the stat line.

Last edited:
For all the people that have whined for years about getting another explosive faster wide receivers (myself included), schaub doesnt have the arm to capitalize on it. Defenses have figured out we are exclusively a horizontal threat. I dont really care about any deep play stats someone presents to argue that. I've watched and rewatched everygame this franchise has played since day 1. Proof is in the games, not the stat line.

The proof is in the pudding .... we almost never see throws over the deep middle of the field ....You almost never see sideline patterns that take advantage of the back shoulder throw .... and thats because Schaub simply doesnt have the zip to make those throws.

Schaub's a solid game manager and ball handler .... but is lacking in so many other area's of QB play.

We may as well get use to it because he's signed for two more seasons. We're stuck with the noodle arm statue game manager.

I probably shouldn't post after consuming large amounts of :drunk: but hey, I am Beerlover right. So here it is: Schaub is a cerebral QB with bad feet. There I said it, high character & intelligence can only carry you so far, time to make more athletic moves. Instead, Matt is the proverbial immovable object on the field in constant state of flux. It's really more on Kubiak play calling to leave a back into block or TE in pass pro. It's virtually always an empty set or the back clears the hole leaving Schaub solo to avoid a delayed blitz unhindered. This is not a workable resolution, neither is dunk & dink to a TE or WR who cannot create after the catch or make a catch. as the box collapses.

Kubiak needs to adjust/change his play calling to be more assertive yet hold max protection in the pocket to do a better job protecting Matt Schaub. This will improve timing with receivers, hit them in optimum windows & improve yards after the catch. In other words we have to go back to the drawing board, before we thought Texans were the big dogs & pass the ball efficiently & run the ball late in games to put them away.

I refuse to beleive its the O-line cause of who we lost WInston and brisle

Mike was good but played hurtand Winston was just down right bad

its schaub whenever a free blitz comes lose has got to get rid of the ball or throw it away

and IMO these last two week i know matt is no Mobility master but last week he was moving around better then he has i liked seein that hopefully he can improve in that

u know another problem that no one talks about Andre and Kevins Break away speed there not has fast has they used to be and it causes DB to stick to them

DOnt put this all on schaub IMO at this point schaub just has to sit in the passenger seat not even drive

If we are going to win the other vets are going to have to step up and take this team on its back ANdre.Kevin.OD.Myers.SMith,Brown

i know yall dont trust schaub but let me ask yall a question do yall trust

Andre johnson Chris myers and Brown ..??????

Beerlover, that's pretty much my take. When you look at texans offense, who can really beat you? Andre Johnson and to a degree foster,that's it. This year, they can't just run the ball down teams throat. So if teams stop arian and roll to andre, the offense is done. Teams aren't even playing 8 in the box vs the run game, they're just key run blitzing. So now its on schaub shoulders minus playaction opening lanes and we've seen the struggle. He won't really throw guy open or extend plays. Teams are daring him to throw in the muddled middle from the pocket minus playaction and he really can't do it. This isn't anything new. Go watch raiders and ravens games last year. In fact, go watch games vs jets when revis took andre out of games. Hell, watch the 1st game of the season vs miami. I dunno why people are so surprised,but here is what I think kubes should do.

Get back to wco principles. What's does that mean? Skinny post pass plays on early downs. Using the pass to setup the run. More 3 step drops to get tha ball out of matts hands. The no huddle out of base and use casey everywhere. What gary must do is use tempo to create matchups.

Beerlover, that's pretty much my take. When you look at texans offense, who can really beat you? Andre Johnson and to a degree foster,that's it. This year, they can't just run the ball down teams throat. So if teams stop arian and roll to andre, the offense is done. Teams aren't even playing 8 in the box vs the run game, they're just key run blitzing. So now its on schaub shoulders minus playaction opening lanes and we've seen the struggle. He won't really throw guy open or extend plays. Teams are daring him to throw in the muddled middle from the pocket minus playaction and he really can't do it. This isn't anything new. Go watch raiders and ravens games last year. In fact, go watch games vs jets when revis took andre out of games. Hell, watch the 1st game of the season vs miami. I dunno why people are so surprised,but here is what I think kubes should do.

Get back to wco principles. What's does that mean? Skinny post pass plays on early downs. Using the pass to setup the run. More 3 step drops to get tha ball out of matts hands. The no huddle out of base and use casey everywhere. What gary must do is use tempo to create matchups.

Great points, my thoughts exactly.

To me this has all been about (a lack of) execution. We had opportunities in every game that we just completely blew.

What bothers me the most about the Indy loss is that Indy gave up 500+ yards rushing in the last 2 weeks. Instead of running, we come out throwing a ton, and guess what? It fails in the second half because we win when we are balanced. Why didn't we keep running it? Why is Ben Tate getting 1 carry? Foster was averaging 6+ ypc and he only gets 16 carries.

This comes down to gameplan. You have a gameplan that worked from other teams but instead you abandon it and just keep throwing the ball.

To me this has all been about (a lack of) execution. We had opportunities in every game that we just completely blew.

What bothers me the most about the Indy loss is that Indy gave up 500+ yards rushing in the last 2 weeks. Instead of running, we come out throwing a ton, and guess what? It fails in the second half because we win when we are balanced. Why didn't we keep running it? Why is Ben Tate getting 1 carry? Foster was averaging 6+ ypc and he only gets 16 carries.

This comes down to gameplan. You have a gameplan that worked from other teams but instead you abandon it and just keep throwing the ball.

Holy crap, you're right! I had no idea he was averaging that high.

Holy crap, you're right! I had no idea he was averaging that high.

Running to the right side, the side with a revolving door of linemen coming in and out, the Texans averaged 3.0 yards per carry (8-24) Sunday. On the "Pro-Bowl" left side, the Texans ran the ball 4 times the entire game. 4 carries, 59 yards (14.75 per).

Say what you want to about Briesel and Winston as pass-protectors, but both of those guys were very good run-blockers and without the rushing game the whole Texans' offense is just not nearly as effective as it was when they were in the lineup. And furthermore the Texas base-offense was virtually a 2 TE-set
and the OD/Dreesen combo was more effective than the OD/Grahmn combo.
Our offensive unit just lost too many important players in the past offseason to be as effective this year as we were in 2011.

yeah, briesel and winston could get out in the open on those stretch plays and put guys down in the open field...Newton can't even get out to the sideline and block the db on a WR screen.

we're clearly not what we were up front...

In 2011 Eric Winston was rated 10/76 overall against all Tackles and 6th against Right Tackles. Pass Block 10th, Run Bock 3rd.
In 2010 Eric Winston was rated 12/78 overall against all Tackles and 5th against Right Tackles. Pass Block 10th, Run Block 19th.

In 2011 Mike Brisiel was rated 32/78 overall against all Guards. Pass Block 32nd, Run Bock 14th.
In 2010 Mike Brisiel was rated 15/82 overall against all Guards. Pass Block 20th, Run Bock 12th.

Both had tougher years -- expected/bad teams -- in 2012. Winston was 25/80 Tackles and Brisiel was 74/82 Guards.

*ratings from ProFootballFocus, minumum 25% of team snaps.

Say what you want to about Briesel and Winston as pass-protectors, but both of those guys were very good run-blockers and without the rushing game the whole Texans' offense is just not nearly as effective as it was when they were in the lineup. And furthermore the Texas base-offense was virtually a 2 TE-set
and the OD/Dreesen combo was more effective than the OD/Grahmn combo.
Our offensive unit just lost too many important players in the past offseason to be as effective this year as we were in 2011.

I think, in hindsight, it was a mistake to let Winston go. Brisiel was a FA and got bigger $$$ in Oakland.

I don't know if we could have had Eric restructure to save us money. I'm not familiar with that aspect of the situation.

Brisiel was a goner because he got a nice payday elsewhere.

But if I were to pretend that both those guys were starting on our OL, I think we're a different and BETTER team right now. Just for the reason you stated: The run game would be better.

Omg... Reading Kubiaks after practice quotes are driving me crazy!!! Its like he has ZERO friggin clue. If I hear the words inconsistent, or ...have to be more consistent again I am going to puke.

Omg... Reading Kubiaks after practice quotes are driving me crazy!!! Its like he has ZERO friggin clue. If I hear the words inconsistent, or ...have to be more consistent again I am going to puke.

Why won't any of the "reporters" sack up and say "Would do you MEAN by 'inconsistent'?"

Rick and Gary have the reporters so scared, we'll never get anything but status quo. Zero accountability.

yeah, briesel and winston could get out in the open on those stretch plays and put guys down in the open field...Newton can't even get out to the sideline and block the db on a WR screen.

I remember that play and thought to myself, " Doesn't Kubiak realize Newton can't make that play?". Was that successful in the practice?

There have been plays to be made .... Schaub simply hasnt made them.

I think so.

I think to "change the system" now would be the wrong thing to do. We need to get better at what we've been doing for the last 17 weeks. Though it's "not working" you can watch the game tape & see it's 1 dropped pass, 1 blown block, or 1 bad read away from working.

If you look at our last game against the Colts, it's not that the play book was dull & uninspired... it was that we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Penalty after penalty. We'd take one step forward, two steps back.

If we get better doing what we do, we'll beat anybody.

I think so.

I think to "change the system" now would be the wrong thing to do. We need to get better at what we've been doing for the last 17 weeks. Though it's "not working" you can watch the game tape & see it's 1 dropped pass, 1 blown block, or 1 bad read away from working.

If you look at our last game against the Colts, it's not that the play book was dull & uninspired... it was that we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Penalty after penalty. We'd take one step forward, two steps back.

If we get better doing what we do, we'll beat anybody.

What we are doing isnt working and you have to adapt. But Kubiak is just too damn stubborn or stupid.

I think, in hindsight, it was a mistake to let Winston go. Brisiel was a FA and got bigger $$$ in Oakland.

I don't know if we could have had Eric restructure to save us money. I'm not familiar with that aspect of the situation.

Yeah, it seems to me we were like hundreds of thousands below the cap going into the season? It was a shame we lost him and Dreessen. I felt like both were key.

Back